Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Your best memories of The Recreation Ground? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your best memories of The Recreation Ground?

#61 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

View Postfishini, on Jan 8 2010, 09:36 PM, said:

You need to improve :blush:

You need to drag your mind out of the gutter Mr Slayter :lol:

#62 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

View PostPeak Fm Sport Show, on Jan 8 2010, 10:33 AM, said:

Hello all,

We would just like to say a big thank you so far for all of your replies so far, they have made some good and interesting reading. Because the Hurst goal v Luton is mentioned more than once by a number of different people we have actually made contact with Glynn Hurst to arrange an interview with him so he can talk about that goal and his best memories at Saltergate etc etc (he was actually having a massage at the time he answered his phone, footballers hey?!!)

We are indeed in contact with a number of different people who have links with the club, past and present and you will be able to hear the memories and thoughts of these people later on this year as Chesterfield Fc get close to saying goodbye to their home for the past 139 years.

By all means, keep the memories coming and indeed, if you have any suggestions as to who you would like to hear from about their memories of The Recreation Ground, past players, managers etc then again, feel free to tell us.

Thank you for your replies so far.

Peak Fm Sport Show - every Saturday from 2pm.

Your predecessor, Chris Egerton would be a good starting point. A credit to the station and a big asset to the Club in our hour of need.

#63 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Posted most of this before but i'll do it again.

As a young lad, receiving a Coca Cola Soccer Skills award on the pitch on the day Jim Brown scored v Stockport from a goal kick

Sitting in the wing stand as a nipper and everyone stamping their feet every time Town got a corner

The marching bands at half time in the 80's (whatever happened to them?)

Fortunately being the last one through the turnstile before it was ordered to be closed against Carlisle in 1995.

The FA Cup quarter final...the most important game and the best atmosphere at Saltergate ever...not just from us but the Wrexham fans as well. Howard putting on "Simply the Best" after...very very apt

Loads of match related memories...too many to mention really and mostly all done above. Hursty's relegation saving effort was fantastic, but beating Sheffield Wednesday a few years ago was a very treasured 90 minutes.

View PostCosmo Kramer, on Jan 8 2010, 05:18 AM, said:

On the tearraces, so many great recollections of pies flying overhead, etc but my most abiding memory from when I was a young 'un would have to be the bloke who used to stand up the back doing something that sounded like gargling and occasionaly treating us to a rendition of "come on town, give us a goal. where's it gonna come from? I don't know". I'm sure someone on here could name him.

He was called Kevin. He used to go in the Queen's Head quite a lot if i remember right. Certainly remember him turning up during a minutes silence once shouting his head off gargling and shouting "what's going on?". Bizarrely, i went to a Staveley Miners Welfare game a few years ago, and bought some programmes from their shop. Upon opening one of them up it had a loose passport photograph of him in it!
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#64 User is offline   oh rodney rodney 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:heavy rock/metal classic rock, having a gargle + CHESTERFIELD + EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUBS

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

View PostBankrobber, on Jan 8 2010, 09:54 PM, said:

Posted most of this before but i'll do it again.

As a young lad, receiving a Coca Cola Soccer Skills award on the pitch on the day Jim Brown scored v Stockport from a goal kick

Sitting in the wing stand as a nipper and everyone stamping their feet every time Town got a corner

The marching bands at half time in the 80's (whatever happened to them?)

Fortunately being the last one through the turnstile before it was ordered to be closed against Carlisle in 1995.

The FA Cup quarter final...the most important game and the best atmosphere at Saltergate ever...not just from us but the Wrexham fans as well. Howard putting on "Simply the Best" after...very very apt

Loads of match related memories...too many to mention really and mostly all done above. Hursty's relegation saving effort was fantastic, but beating Sheffield Wednesday a few years ago was a very treasured 90 minutes.

He was called Kevin. He used to go in the Queen's Head quite a lot if i remember right. Certainly remember him turning up during a minutes silence once shouting his head off gargling and shouting "what's going on?". Bizarrely, i went to a Staveley Miners Welfare game a few years ago, and bought some programmes from their shop. Upon opening one of them up it had a loose passport photograph of him in it!

if its the same youth im thinking of he lived at hady, he worked on the bins used to sup in the galleon anchor lion buck phoenix etc seen him other day, aged quite a bit + deaf as a post
FROM THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF SALTERGATE,

#65 Guest_djs_*

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

Colin Tartt entertaining the crowd ball juggling with his feet, knees and head before passing it back to the keeper. Getting a round of applause from the crowd then getting booked for time wasting!!! unbelievable!

Ernie Moss rising like a salmon to head the ball home on numerous occations

The save of the match by John Turner in the first leg of the anglo scotish cup final that kept us in the tie which we ultimatly won.

The 7-0 thrashing of Bury on that infamous ice bound pitch.

Bob Newton and his hustling bustling style, a handfull for any center back

The 22 player punch up in the Plymouth goalmouth, Kev Davis got sent off.

Totaly outplaying the Stags, in the Brown envelopes season, and were quoted a by their management team as men against boys

Brighton fans invading the pitch and beyond on the last match of the season, when they and The Stags went up to the old div2

The unplaned spilting of the Kop when Sheff wed were in town in the 80's

The 'BIG' games against Liverpool, Man City, West Ham, ect

There are numerous others, ie:- the usual important goals that have been scored ect. but i can't really mention them all on here.

#66 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

My second ever game that hooked me as a Spireite forever....

Chesterfield 7 Reading 1

Birch 2 Moss 2 Crawford and Salmons.....plus Lawrie Sanchez og...( off top of my head)....
Posted Image

#67 User is offline   SalvadorDarley 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on Jan 8 2010, 11:47 PM, said:

My second ever game that hooked me as a Spireite forever....

Chesterfield 7 Reading 1

Birch 2 Moss 2 Crawford and Salmons.....plus Lawrie Sanchez og...( off top of my head)....

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the day we beat our county cousins from down the A38 in 1986. Ernie blocked Mark Wallington on a frozen pitch and Steve Baines nodded in the header. Cue absolute delirium on the Kop.

#68 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

View PostSalvadorDarley, on Jan 9 2010, 03:05 PM, said:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the day we beat our county cousins from down the A38 in 1986. Ernie blocked Mark Wallington on a frozen pitch and Steve Baines nodded in the header. Cue absolute delirium on the Kop.

You cannot remember em all lol......

#69 User is offline   NorthWalesSpireite 

• NorthWalesSpireite
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

mine are wayne allison against charlton last minute in extra time
glynn hurst keeping us in league 1
mac's time in charge when we went on the league cup run
for some reason the bournmouth game on the friday night when we scraped the win with tommy lee saving a pen

#70 User is offline   Cosmo Kramer 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:37 AM

View PostBankrobber, on Jan 8 2010, 09:54 PM, said:

I remember that too now you mention it! :P

The passport photo thing is a bit :o though...
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users