• You cannot reply to this topic

Clarke Carlisle

#61 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

THE POINT SCREAM i was trying to make my crash was 32 years to the day just so happens ive had an appointment at sheffield spinal unit , go on ward2 see them lying there in a bad way , now 32 yrs ago that was me , after coming through intensive care in nottingham and transferred drugged up , waking up in sheffield lying there for 10 weeks being turned from side to side every 4 hours in severe agony , then being told you never gunna walk again , at spinaL WARD FOR 6 MONTHS , learning how to urine , Bunkum , and day to day living , yes i got depressed myself but as they used to say on the ward , its up to you , you can either sink or swim , i saw two die on the ward one was 17 , ive seen it all , i chose to swim , i could be depressed evey day , im no dick and town fans that no me oftern say how well i get on with it :angry :angry

SCREAM can speak for himself and I'm not trying to represent him but what I suspect he was aiming at was, to use your phrase, not everyone can swim, or some will find it hard to swim without a lot of help. So suggesting they just get on with 'swimming' isn't that easy for everyone.

I tip my hat to you for overcoming the battle you had and coping with your issues. But maybe you could be a little more compassionate to those who are not as strong as you when it comes to beating depression or 'swimming'.

#62 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostDoughnut, on 05 February 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

SCREAM can speak for himself and I'm not trying to represent him but what I suspect he was aiming at was, to use your phrase, not everyone can swim, or some will find it hard to swim without a lot of help. So suggesting they just get on with 'swimming' isn't that easy for everyone.

I tip my hat to you for overcoming the battle you had and coping with your issues. But maybe you could be a little more compassionate to those who are not as strong as you when it comes to beating depression or 'swimming'.

hi friend dont get me wrong i ve been in some lonely places and got depressed myself , and as i see ive seen it all and yes i am compassionate last time i wasadmitted there was a young lad about 15 lancashire lad broke his neck at rugby , i felt gutted for him he was understandably depressed i tried to help him bysaying this will get easier you know , and trying to offer advice to him , you know the bubbly WARFEY even gets down days big time but id never do what carlisle did

#63 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:51 PM

I think what people are saying is that there's a difference between being depressed and the medical condition 'depression'.

#64 User is offline   isleaiw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:34 PM

Respect to everyone who has admitted issues, I have lived with depression (not me personally but the person closest to me) for the last 22 years in various degrees. Particularly bad in recent years since said person has been coping with empty nest syndrome and losing both parents. She would admit in rational times that it is selfish and not fair on the kids - but that isn't on her mind when in a black spot....

I don't think the NHS is geared up to deal with it and too much treatment is drugs based rather than treating root cause.

Warfey - my cousin broke his neck just after his 21st birthday whilst in the navy and on leave in Aus. He has had over 40 years in a chair as a quadriplegic- yes he has had low moments where he "wished he was dead" but he is now married to his nurse and happy with life. Sure he would rather be able bodied but as he says we all have a cross to bear....

Ian

#65 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

I think what people are saying is that there's a difference between being depressed and the medical condition 'depression'.

Part of it is a chemical imbalance in the brain.Low levels of a chemical called serotonin.Antidepressants seek to increase levels of serotonin by blocking the reuptake into nerve cells.Good luck to all those suffering and keep battling.

This post has been edited by Rodney's Moustache: 05 February 2015 - 11:59 PM

#66 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostRodney, on 05 February 2015 - 11:50 PM, said:

Part of it is a chemical imbalance in the brain.Low levels of a chemical called serotonin.Antidepressants seek to increase levels of serotonin by blocking the reuptake into nerve cells.Good luck to all those suffering and keep battling.

Serotonin is known as the happy hormone. I must have too much
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#67 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostErwan dsihounou, on 05 February 2015 - 03:47 PM, said:

I hope you come through your problems but I fear your openess will be the catalyst for warfey to mug the thread.lol

Well I nailed that one.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#68 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 05 February 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

Mate you are far from alone, I've been on tablets for nearly two years now. Started when I went to the Drs about sleep problems a very long appointment later I came away with a much better understanding of why I wasn't sleeping properly. Although I must stress I was nowhere near hitting the depths you did.
The meds seem to help, I also tried some CBT, mostly for sleep which was effective up to a point, to have carried on with it would have had too much of an impact on everyone else in the house though. A lot of things have changed in the last two years so I'm hoping to come off the tablets once the clocks change.
Good luck!

Sorry to hear about that worty....I presume the problem was you were getting too much sleep.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#69 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Big fan of Terry Thomas and Fu Manchu.

Partial to the odd beerd!!

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 05 February 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

Mate you are far from alone, I've been on tablets for nearly two years now. Started when I went to the Drs about sleep problems a very long appointment later I came away with a much better understanding of why I wasn't sleeping properly. Although I must stress I was nowhere near hitting the depths you did.
The meds seem to help, I also tried some CBT, mostly for sleep which was effective up to a point, to have carried on with it would have had too much of an impact on everyone else in the house though. A lot of things have changed in the last two years so I'm hoping to come off the tablets once the clocks change.
Good luck!

I've found that while CBT definitely helps, it isn't the wonder cure that a lot of health professionals seem to think it is. It's undoubtedly a positive step, but even now after I've been through a Health Anxiety specific course I'm still laden with Health Anxieties. Any pains in my arms, I think I'm having a heart attack and thus leads to a full blown panic attack. Headaches, I think are brain tumours. Some people may laugh at this, but for me these issues are extremely real, and frightening. I'm now halfway through my second course of CBT to try to overcome some of my other anxiety problems.
Through these anxiety problems, I now suffer from facial tics which make me extremely self conscious and just heighten the anxiety. It's a very vicious circle. I've been on all sorts of meds. Citalopram,Aripiprazole,Sertraline,Mirtazipine none of which worked for me. I've now been on Trazodone combined with diazepam for the last 3 months or so, and I'm finally starting to feel better.
Even though both of the meds I mentioned there are meant to promote sleep, I still suffer from terrible insomnia. I've tried all sorts for this as well. Zopiclone,Zolpidem,Temazepam etc, but have finally settled with Nitrazepam, which seem to do the trick for me.
I hate being on all this medication, and my ultimate goal, like yours is to get off of them, but it really is baby steps for me.

I have an appointment at the Hartington Unit at the Royal next week. Now before I suffered from this I always stereotyped people who went there as full blown nut jobs, but that really isn't the case. I'm afraid those sort of judgements still exist though. I've heard people sniggering when I've been talking about my problems with someone in public and they've either been tab hanging or have just heard the words Hartington Unit. In fact I probably would have been that person myself before I suffered myself. It's just a shame there is still a stigma attached to mental health problems.

Anyway, now I've waffled a bit, can I just ask you a question? Obviously you don't have to answer it on a public forum and that's fine if you don't want to.

What medication are you on to help you sleep and for your other problems?

Feel free to tell me to do one, I'm just interested in other people's treatments for these problems, that's all as I'm currently training to become a peer support mentor for people with drug and mental health issues, so any feedback would be great.

This post has been edited by Dave Wallers 'tache: 06 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Mug?? Being wrong never gets boring!

#70 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

http://www.independe...e-10027517.html

#71 Guest_NOKIN_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostDave Wallers, on 06 February 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

I've found that while CBT definitely helps, it isn't the wonder cure that a lot of health professionals seem to think it is. It's undoubtedly a positive step, but even now after I've been through a Health Anxiety specific course I'm still laden with Health Anxieties. Any pains in my arms, I think I'm having a heart attack and thus leads to a full blown panic attack. Headaches, I think are brain tumours. Some people may laugh at this, but for me these issues are extremely real, and frightening. I'm now halfway through my second course of CBT to try to overcome some of my other anxiety problems.
Through these anxiety problems, I now suffer from facial tics which make me extremely self conscious and just heighten the anxiety. It's a very vicious circle. I've been on all sorts of meds. Citalopram,Aripiprazole,Sertraline,Mirtazipine none of which worked for me. I've now been on Trazodone combined with diazepam for the last 3 months or so, and I'm finally starting to feel better.
Even though both of the meds I mentioned there are meant to promote sleep, I still suffer from terrible insomnia. I've tried all sorts for this as well. Zopiclone,Zolpidem,Temazepam etc, but have finally settled with Nitrazepam, which seem to do the trick for me.
I hate being on all this medication, and my ultimate goal, like yours is to get off of them, but it really is baby steps for me.

I have an appointment at the Hartington Unit at the Royal next week. Now before I suffered from this I always stereotyped people who went there as full blown nut jobs, but that really isn't the case. I'm afraid those sort of judgements still exist though. I've heard people sniggering when I've been talking about my problems with someone in public and they've either been tab hanging or have just heard the words Hartington Unit. In fact I probably would have been that person myself before I suffered myself. It's just a shame there is still a stigma attached to mental health problems.

Anyway, now I've waffled a bit, can I just ask you a question? Obviously you don't have to answer it on a public forum and that's fine if you don't want to.

What medication are you on to help you sleep and for your other problems?

Feel free to tell me to do one, I'm just interested in other people's treatments for these problems, that's all as I'm currently training to become a peer support mentor for people with drug and mental health issues, so any feedback would be great.

I can 100% relate to this having been through it myself a few years ago. Fortunately for me I didn't require much treatment. A block of counselling sessions with a few follow ups and I'm holding my own. What you are going through is horrible and absolutely empathise with you. I, too suffered from lack of sleep.

I couldn't sleep as I was convinced I wouldn't wake up. I convinced myself death was imminent and it's very scary. I'm well now but those 4 years were hellish. It took me 3.5 years to build up a he courage to speak to someone when I did it was such a relief I broke down in tears. After six months I felt so much better.

I still sway now and again but it's becoming more rare and I'm much more stable for want of a better word.

I am more than happy to meet up and talk through my experiences if you think that would help. I know you are living a frightening existence and how hellish it is.

It can and does get easier to manage and live with.

This post has been edited by NOKIN: 06 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

#72 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostErwan dsihounou, on 06 February 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Sorry to hear about that worty....I presume the problem was you were getting too much sleep.

Only when I was on nights.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#73 User is offline   RN Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC... oh and the wife and kids.

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostGoku, on 05 February 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

It's a very fair point you make about depression potentially causing more depression because of the actions of a depressed person (mouthful). It's something I'd not thought about. Again, though, this won't change. People will reach that point of no return and that'll be that, sadly. Others won't come into it past a certain point (I'm basing this line of thought on articles I've read, experiences with other people and also an extrapolation of my own experiences with the illness).

For the record, I can picture the aftermath of what occurs when a train runs over someone - I was trying to be 'PG' haha, my initial turn of phrase was 'chewed up giblets' but I thought that sounded a tad insensitive.

When I was a baby medic at RNH Haslar in Gosport early 90s, we had a quadraplegic Gurkha in the hospital. He had heard that redundancies were coming in and there was a chance that he could get it, rather than return home in what he saw as a blur on his honour at being made redundant, he threw himself under a train - poor bloke survived.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users