• You cannot reply to this topic

Clarke Carlisle

#41 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on 05 February 2015 - 12:16 PM, said:

I think too many people are getting hung up of the negative connotation of the word selfish. Maybe introspective is a better word but either way when dealing with depression all your thoughts are about you and how you affect others. This selfishness can become debilitating and make you completely irrational.

OK cards on the table time. I’m currently being treated for anxiety and depression. This treatment is a combination of drugs, counselling and CBT (although the latter hasn’t started yet). Depression is an awful disease and one that finally came to a head when I was admitted to North Middlesex hospital in floods of tears having been so very close to ending it all. The despair I felt was unreal and crippling and it was all about me. I wasn’t thinking about others and that’s why I feel I was selfish. I still believe this.

I honestly think it’s OK to see depression as a “selfish” disease provided you don’t hang onto that negative connotation. I think it’s Ok to understand why it is so selfish and through that understanding not get hung up on it being a bad thing, more that selfishness is a symptom rather than deliberate act to be selfish.

A lot of people have no idea this is going on with me, in fact to many it’s business as usual as I hide it well. I went to the Derby game and I’m sure people I saw there would have had no idea.

Depression is the disease no-one wants to talk about never mind admit to having, I bet there are many Town fans who suffer in silence. No jokes at the back…

Now I’ve done this longish post I better not get RLIR or that could actually finish me off.

I hope you come through your problems but I fear your openess will be the catalyst for warfey to mug the thread.lol
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#42 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

I think too many people are getting hung up of the negative connotation of the word selfish. Maybe introspective is a better word but either way when dealing with depression all your thoughts are about you and how you affect others. This selfishness can become debilitating and make you completely irrational.

OK cards on the table time. I'm currently being treated for anxiety and depression. This treatment is a combination of drugs, counselling and CBT (although the latter hasn't started yet). Depression is an awful disease and one that finally came to a head when I was admitted to North Middlesex hospital in floods of tears having been so very close to ending it all. The despair I felt was unreal and crippling and it was all about me. I wasn't thinking about others and that's why I feel I was selfish. I still believe this.

I honestly think it's OK to see depression as a "selfish" disease provided you don't hang onto that negative connotation. I think it's Ok to understand why it is so selfish and through that understanding not get hung up on it being a bad thing, more that selfishness is a symptom rather than deliberate act to be selfish.

A lot of people have no idea this is going on with me, in fact to many it's business as usual as I hide it well. I went to the Derby game and I'm sure people I saw there would have had no idea.

Depression is the disease no-one wants to talk about never mind admit to having, I bet there are many Town fans who suffer in silence. No jokes at the back…

Now I've done this longish post I better not get RLIR or that could actually finish me off.

+1 mate
A new hope.

#43 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

OK cards on the table time. I’m currently being treated for anxiety and depression. This treatment is a combination of drugs, counselling and CBT (although the latter hasn’t started yet). Depression is an awful disease and one that finally came to a head when I was admitted to North Middlesex hospital in floods of tears having been so very close to ending it all. The despair I felt was unreal and crippling and it was all about me. I wasn’t thinking about others and that’s why I feel I was selfish. I still believe this.

I honestly think it’s OK to see depression as a “selfish” disease provided you don’t hang onto that negative connotation. I think it’s Ok to understand why it is so selfish and through that understanding not get hung up on it being a bad thing, more that selfishness is a symptom rather than deliberate act to be selfish.

A lot of people have no idea this is going on with me, in fact to many it’s business as usual as I hide it well. I went to the Derby game and I’m sure people I saw there would have had no idea.

Now I’ve done this longish post I better not get RLIR or that could actually finish me off.

Mate you are far from alone, I've been on tablets for nearly two years now. Started when I went to the Drs about sleep problems a very long appointment later I came away with a much better understanding of why I wasn't sleeping properly. Although I must stress I was nowhere near hitting the depths you did.
The meds seem to help, I also tried some CBT, mostly for sleep which was effective up to a point, to have carried on with it would have had too much of an impact on everyone else in the house though. A lot of things have changed in the last two years so I'm hoping to come off the tablets once the clocks change.
Good luck!

This post has been edited by firedodger: 05 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#44 User is offline   diddyuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

View PostXerxes, on 05 February 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

Very selfish act. Imagine how the poor lorry driver must feel.

Yes very selfish low life that's what he is, now more than likely as the lorry driver as not worked since, he will be going through depression and his family will suffer for it, innocent party involved how selfish can you get, forget Carlisle, drink driving again no respect for others, could have killed some innocent persons again, Carlisle should be made to pay and I hope he goes down for all this, as you can guess no sympathy from here, except for the people who he as tried to hurt

#45 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

Good luck with the treatment. The more people talk about these issues, the more others may start to understand that depression isn't a black and white thing.

I tend to think that, for blokes, counselling can be extremely helpful. Because we don't tend to talk generally about things that are difficult for us, being able to open up to someone who we don't know and who wants to help us, can be liberating. I have had a few periods in recent years when I have had a number of counselling sessions, and it has helped me to start thinking clearly again. Won't work for everyone obviously, and you have to want it to work in the first place.

#46 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Big fan of Terry Thomas and Fu Manchu.

Partial to the odd beerd!!

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Great post mate. I'm in the same boat, being treated for anxiety and depression, yet to the onlooker, you'd think there was nothing wrong with me. It's been going on for 3 years now, and having tried different combinations of meds, I seem to have finally found the right ones for me. I'm currently on my second course of CBT, this time for generalised anxiety, the first one being related to health anxieties, and I can't praise this sort of therapy highly enough. Stick with it mate, things will get better with the correct sorts of combined treatments.
Mug?? Being wrong never gets boring!

#47 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostDave Wallers, on 05 February 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

Great post mate. I'm in the same boat, being treated for anxiety and depression, yet to the onlooker, you'd think there was nothing wrong with me. It's been going on for 3 years now, and having tried different combinations of meds, I seem to have finally found the right ones for me. I'm currently on my second course of CBT, this time for generalised anxiety, the first one being related to health anxieties, and I can't praise this sort of therapy highly enough. Stick with it mate, things will get better with the correct sorts of combined treatments.

and a plus 1 to you as well, you have done this twice now, and that deserves a lot of respect.

I doff my cap sir

A new hope.

#48 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

Depression is a horrible horrible illness.
Every need got an ego to feed

#49 User is offline   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

I've been to many suicides over the years. The last one as recently as 2 weeks ago. One of the most common factors is that the family and friends had no idea anything was wrong and it naturally comes as a great shock. Added to that I know 4 people personally who have done it and as terrible as it sounds it's sort of become a normal part of daily life.
I don't know a lot about depression but isn't it something to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain or something like that and nothing to do with feeling sorry for yourself as some people put it.
An illness as destructive as any but one that can be treated which of course relies on the sufferer seeking help. Probably not as easy as seeking help for other medical conditions.
Lots of respect for those on here who have admitted to it and best of luck with whatever treatment you're having.
Unfotunately the genuine cases often get lumped in with the "my birds dumped me I'm taking an overdose" brigade which can lead to a lot of ignorance among others and genuine sufferers not getting the help they need.

#50 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:57 PM

View Postdiddyuk, on 05 February 2015 - 04:22 PM, said:

Yes very selfish low life that's what he is, now more than likely as the lorry driver as not worked since, he will be going through depression and his family will suffer for it, innocent party involved how selfish can you get, forget Carlisle, drink driving again no respect for others, could have killed some innocent persons again, Carlisle should be made to pay and I hope he goes down for all this, as you can guess no sympathy from here, except for the people who he as tried to hurt

this post gave me genital warts

#51 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

View Posttrickytrevsfanclub, on 05 February 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

I've been to many suicides over the years. The last one as recently as 2 weeks ago. One of the most common factors is that the family and friends had no idea anything was wrong and it naturally comes as a great shock. Added to that I know 4 people personally who have done it and as terrible as it sounds it's sort of become a normal part of daily life.
I don't know a lot about depression but isn't it something to do with a chemical imbalance in the brain or something like that and nothing to do with feeling sorry for yourself as some people put it.
An illness as destructive as any but one that can be treated which of course relies on the sufferer seeking help. Probably not as easy as seeking help for other medical conditions.
Lots of respect for those on here who have admitted to it and best of luck with whatever treatment you're having.
Unfotunately the genuine cases often get lumped in with the "my birds dumped me I'm taking an overdose" brigade which can lead to a lot of ignorance among others and genuine sufferers not getting the help they need.

SOME OUGHT TO SPEND 32 YEARS IN A WHEELCHAIR TODAY ,AND GET ON WITH IT , AND DO IT ALL ALONE AND COME THROUGH IT AND GET ON WITH IT , SOME OUGHT TO SPEND ONE DAY IN MY CHAIR , THEN THEYD UNDERSTAND HOW DEPRESSED THEY COULD GET

#52 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostGoku, on 05 February 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

this post gave me genital warts

ULL KNOW ABOUT IT JOSH IF U GET THEM

#53 User is offline   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

SOME OUGHT TO SPEND 32 YEARS IN A WHEELCHAIR TODAY ,AND GET ON WITH IT , AND DO IT ALL ALONE AND COME THROUGH IT AND GET ON WITH IT , SOME OUGHT TO SPEND ONE DAY IN MY CHAIR , THEN THEYD UNDERSTAND HOW DEPRESSED THEY COULD GET

That's a different kind on depression though Warfey. Clinical depression is an illness as real as Cancer or Heart Failure and there's not a lot they can do about it without treatment and even then it's not enough.
My cousins husband suffered with it and eventually killed himself. He had no money worries, a good job he enjoyed and his wife was devoted to him. To anyone not knowing his condition they would have had no idea. I didn't and the first time I knew was when I was told of his death.

#54 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:54 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Jesus Christ.

ive always thought your a dickhead. I've refrained from commenting on your posts for a while as I thought your not worth it.

If only people who suffer from depression "could get on with it" and "understand how depressed they could get" - just because they have to sit in a chair.

You blimey ********.

#55 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:03 PM

View PostScreamadelica, on 05 February 2015 - 08:54 PM, said:

Jesus Christ.

ive always thought your a dickhead. I've refrained from commenting on your posts for a while as I thought your not worth it.

If only people who suffer from depression "could get on with it" and "understand how depressed they could get" - just because they have to sit in a chair.

You blimey ********.

HANG ON JUST TO SIT IN A CHAIR ARE YOU REAL , HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT FERKING PAINS INVOLVED DAILY BY AS YOU SAT SITTING IN A CHAIR COME WITH ME THE SPINAL UNIT AND INTENSIVE CARE I WAS IN

#56 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:11 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

HANG ON JUST TO SIT IN A CHAIR ARE YOU REAL , HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT FERKING PAINS INVOLVED DAILY BY AS YOU SAT SITTING IN A CHAIR COME WITH ME THE SPINAL UNIT AND INTENSIVE CARE I WAS IN

No I have no idea what it's like being in a chair your right. I understand your in a lot of pain.

Your also wrong about depression.

No matter the circumstances you don't "just get on with it"

#57 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostScreamadelica, on 05 February 2015 - 08:54 PM, said:

Jesus Christ.

You blimey ********.

Firstly mate I respect you totally and everyone has sh.i.t in their lives and that can make us depressed clinically or otherwise...

I wouldnt swap my life with anyone in a wheelchair or with any other physical or mental disability tbf!

And warfeys posts don't help! chill my brother...
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#58 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostScreamadelica, on 05 February 2015 - 10:11 PM, said:

No I have no idea what it's like being in a chair your right. I understand your in a lot of pain.

Your also wrong about depression.

No matter the circumstances you don't "just get on with it"

THE POINT SCREAM i was trying to make my crash was 32 years to the day just so happens ive had an appointment at sheffield spinal unit , go on ward2 see them lying there in a bad way , now 32 yrs ago that was me , after coming through intensive care in nottingham and transferred drugged up , waking up in sheffield lying there for 10 weeks being turned from side to side every 4 hours in severe agony , then being told you never gunna walk again , at spinaL WARD FOR 6 MONTHS , learning how to urine , Bunkum , and day to day living , yes i got depressed myself but as they used to say on the ward , its up to you , you can either sink or swim , i saw two die on the ward one was 17 , ive seen it all , i chose to swim , i could be depressed evey day , im no dick and town fans that no me oftern say how well i get on with it :angry :angry

#59 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

THE POINT SCREAM i was trying to make my crash was 32 years to the day just so happens ive had an appointment at sheffield spinal unit , go on ward2 see them lying there in a bad way , now 32 yrs ago that was me , after coming through intensive care in nottingham and transferred drugged up , waking up in sheffield lying there for 10 weeks being turned from side to side every 4 hours in severe agony , then being told you never gunna walk again , at spinaL WARD FOR 6 MONTHS , learning how to urine , Bunkum , and day to day living , yes i got depressed myself but as they used to say on the ward , its up to you , you can either sink or swim , i saw two die on the ward one was 17 , ive seen it all , i chose to swim , i could be depressed evey day , im no dick and town fans that no me oftern say how well i get on with it :angry :angry

I apologise. You've obviously had it bad.

I'll not comment any further.

#60 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:38 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

Warfey I am going to say this once and once only!

Everyone who is worth their salt on this board understands how hard it must be for you to be in a wheelchair and then travel up and down the country supporting your team!

But what you seemingly understand is that everyone else has problems , physical, mental or otherwise...

And posting stupid sexual innuendos at every opportunity and generally posting that you are the best town fan ever doesn't help your cause does it?

I'm glad you are back on here as no one doubts your town or physical credentials but there is a time to back off......and this is it!!!!!

This post has been edited by Middle East: 05 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users