Bob's Board: As this is the last ever season here - Bob's Board

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

As this is the last ever season here What memories will you take away from saltergate?

#61 User is offline   stokey 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

View Postmartatcross, on Nov 28 2009, 09:04 AM, said:

Mr Zero was struck off when it was found to be a secret Stag

Remember the bafflement of the Bolton supporters at their old ground in the FA Cup 97 when they had their own Mr Zero at half time, and all the Town Fans shouted back ZEEEEROOOOOH! Hahahahaha!

#62 User is offline   CirenSpireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

First game was Town v Aston Villa in 1970 and sat on my dads shoulders in Cross Street End, I was only six and we lost 3-2.
Others are:

7-1 against Reading
Seeing myself on tele at Town v Rotherham won 3-1
Beating Stockport in the fog 4-0, Luke Beckett playing for them.
Man City and Niven's goal
and many others that have already been mentioned.

#63 User is offline   BeefyBlue 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:21 PM

Being a mascot when i was younger...

Vs. Bury in 1995 promotion season, from memory i think we won 1-0, although cant remember off the top of my head, was a crap game though! But then went to Wembley & played them again... the rest is history...!

Nicky Law was Captain, sean dyche, think mark jules played to? I remember it being B****Y freezing, and struggling to run!

Got a football still with all the playes signatures, kev davies' is on there somwhere.

ooooh!

And seeing myself in the kop on sky sports when we played west ham a few years ago!

"Paulo Di Wankio!"
"From Saltergate to Wembley..."

#64 User is offline   SamosBlue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

Wrexham Q-F for atmosphere definitely.

Wallers incredible goal in the 4-3 Halifax night game.

Away from the games I think I'll always remember looking on at Saltergate from a distance on my way to a night game with the floodlights on - a majestic sight, especially once we'd got the new brighter bulbs in!

#65 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

A personal thing for me as a kid was coming back from night games and calling at Alice Barnetts chippy extra fish bits if you won to celebrate and extra fish bits if you lost to commiserate. Memories of my childhood also go hand in hand with Saltergate.
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#66 User is offline   the enemy within 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:town
    the wonderful world of northern soul

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

remember going in the sixties with my mate and his dad who worked in the snack bar he used to say " big crowd today "and promptly poured a bucket full of hot water into the oxo urn !! also can anyone remember colin tarts first minute tackle on man. citys dennis tuart ?? stretchered him of to cheers from the kop.
spireites and northern soul a state of mind and a way of life . k.t.f.

#67 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

View Postthe enemy within, on Nov 28 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

remember going in the sixties with my mate and his dad who worked in the snack bar he used to say " big crowd today "and promptly poured a bucket full of hot water into the oxo urn !! also can anyone remember colin tarts first minute tackle on man. citys dennis tuart ?? stretchered him of to cheers from the kop.

Broke his leg if i remember right........

#68 User is online   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

My most sentimental memories are as a kid in the 60's.

Our reserves used to play against first divisons' reserve teams. I remember queuing up to get the Aston Villa goalie's autogragh (Nigel somebody) at the Cross Street end whilst the match was in progress.

Ernie's headed hattrick from Kev's crosses.

Alan Stephenson's misskick again against Villa when he kicked the ground instead of the ball at the family Stand corner flag, and Lockhead scored.

Tear assing round the ground to get behind the goal for penalties.

The smell of pipe tobacco.

Being part of Gesslers Kop choir.

Ernies first minute headed goal from outside the area.

The Archer/Fenoughty/Randall corner kick routiine.

and finally - seeing the sheer power and pace of Kev Davies for the first time.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#69 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

View Postdim view, on Nov 28 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

My most sentimental memories are as a kid in the 60's.

Our reserves used to play against first divisons' reserve teams. I remember queuing up to get the Aston Villa goalie's autogragh (Nigel somebody) at the Cross Street end whilst the match was in progress.

Ernie's headed hattrick from Kev's crosses.

Alan Stephenson's misskick again against Villa when he kicked the ground instead of the ball at the family Stand corner flag, and Lockhead scored.

Tear assing round the ground to get behind the goal for penalties.

The smell of pipe tobacco.

Being part of Gesslers Kop choir.

Ernies first minute headed goal from outside the area.

The Archer/Fenoughty/Randall corner kick routiine.

and finally - seeing the sheer power and pace of Kev Davies for the first time.

Spink ?

#70 User is offline   ghost of herbert munday 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

View PostBankrobber, on Nov 28 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

Howard putting on 'Simply the Best' after the final whistle v Wrexham...never been much of a fan of Tina Turner...but i was lapping that one up! :lol:
(Anyone got any other musical memories of Saltergate? - tribute album anyone? "Saltergate's Greatest Hits"!)

As a young lad, receiving a Coca Cola Soccer Skills award on the pitch on the day Jim Brown scored v Stockport

The marching bands at half time (whatever happened to them?)

Loads of match related memories...too many to mention and probably all been done above.

una paloma blanca -always seemed to be playing in the mid seventies warm ups,i think it was the only way Hudsons could get it out of the shop :lol:

#71 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

I am convinced in 84-5 we were running out to "Agadoo". Can anyone confirm this? Saltergates greatest hits might have a strange feel...
Peter Whiteley

#72 User is offline   Monster_Monster 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

One of my favourite Saltergate memories not already mentioned happen at half time during a game against Walsall (i think), around the 1996 or 7. Me and my mates had all gone down to the Compton Street/Cross Street corner to watch the 1st half. Normally we would start moving back around to the kop with a few minutes left of the 1st half to avoid the rush soon as the whistle blew.

One this day for some reason we decided to hang back for 10 mins or so, and i remember talking to my mates while looking out over Cross Street as Howard did the Half time scores. Just as Howard annouced that Man Utd where thrashing someone at home this portly Walsall fan who had just walked out of the Toilets at the Main stand end starts screaming a huge Nooooo and follows this up with a karake kick against the Cross Street Wall, only to end up flying off the wall landing head 1st and with a real lound crack against the concreate floor and rolling half way down the terrace until his path was blocked by a crush barrier.

#73 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:43 PM

Tom Fennoughty's 25yarder against fellow promotion contenders Wrexham.
Beaumont's beauty to get us into the semi.
5-2 against Stags in play-offs.
Reevsie singing the Harry harris song with the rest of the players when we eventually won promo.
ion in the dreadful DB days.
Some cracking strikers in king Kevin,Lester,Norris,Ernie,Waller, Rodney Fern,Birch, Davies amongst others.
Gesler and the battles with the Villa,Owls and Bradford on the ko p ( and not forgetting the hated copper sgt.Jepson).... on the brighter side seeing Gesler wlking onto the pitch with a silk Town scarf around his wrist to join in the minutes silence for the Hampden disaster.
The all night queques waiting for the ticket office to open in the semi cup run.
Charging through the big kop gates at halftime with hundreds more against Carlisle after being locked out for the first half.
Sitting on the wall behind the goals at either end of the ground at reserve games baiting the oppositions goalies, when we were kids.
Seeing the reserves 3-0 down against York, who were playing in white, in a thick blizzard pitch covered in thick snow and playing with a white ball ( we stood under the old scoreboard on the CRoss St. then moved onto the kop for the 2nd half.). There was about 20 of us lead by Barry Watson, huddled together on the kop, they changed the ball to orange and we won 4-3 with Tony Moore scoring an hattrick.

** I'll sob my eyes out when we leave Saltergate its still a great little ground.
lindave

#74 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

Soory to be sentimental, but yes I remember many of the usual ones, Hurst V Luton , Mansfield play off, 4-4 Liverpool, F A and Carling Cup runs, but a lot of my tear jerking memories involve my old Uncle Sid (god rest his soul) the man who introduced me to CfC. I remember sitting in the far end of the Main stand when it was for home supporters and him taking me down to the "running track" at half time to stand at the side of the gate when the players ran out for the second half and me holding my hand out for the likes of Ernie, O`neil etc to pat as they ran on to the pitch..also one that I dont think has been mentioned was Autumn `84 (the promotion season) v Hereford when they were top of the league undefeated in 7 and we pencilled them 3-1..not sure if the former Aston Villa (Price ?) player fell onto Compton Street and smashed his head open in the same game!
East stand second class citizen.

#75 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 29 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

View Postdmb1978, on Nov 27 2009, 10:45 AM, said:

Dont know if anyone else has put this thread up before but as this is the last ever season at our long and illustrious home of over 130 years there will be thousands if not millions of memorable moments and i was just wondering what one sticks out in your mind here are just a few of mine:

1: That memorable night in 1996 play-off semi-final against mansfield and nicky law scoring two penalties in etra time.

2: The last game of the season against blackpool when those three dressed up as nuns in bright orange habits ran onto the pitch and were waving at us when being led awzy when blackpool scored.

3: Then there was one game when i was younger i went with my dad it was new years day and so cold the plaeyrs were slipping around on the surface. At halftime a maasive roar went up from the kop we looked over to the away end somebody had come out the toilets stark naked in the freezing col and run back in once the police or stewards went running in to him.

so many more but just wanted you to share yours?

40 odd years of matches and too many memories to narrow it down as soem of the best and funniest ones wouldn't mean much to anyone else. The obvious promotions, relegations, cup games and relegatons etc

I'm suprised the club hasn't made more of an effort to get folk in for one last time. A PR countdown of how many matches there are left at the old place etc

#76 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

View Postlindave, on Nov 28 2009, 11:46 PM, said:

Tom Fennoughty's 25yarder against fellow promotion contenders Wrexham.
Beaumont's beauty to get us into the semi.
5-2 against Stags in play-offs.
Reevsie singing the Harry harris song with the rest of the players when we eventually won promo.
ion in the dreadful DB days.
Some cracking strikers in king Kevin,Lester,Norris,Ernie,Waller, Rodney Fern,Birch, Davies amongst others.
Gesler and the battles with the Villa,Owls and Bradford on the ko p ( and not forgetting the hated copper sgt.Jepson).... on the brighter side seeing Gesler wlking onto the pitch with a silk Town scarf around his wrist to join in the minutes silence for the Hampden disaster.
The all night queques waiting for the ticket office to open in the semi cup run.
Charging through the big kop gates at halftime with hundreds more against Carlisle after being locked out for the first half.
Sitting on the wall behind the goals at either end of the ground at reserve games baiting the oppositions goalies, when we were kids.

Seeing the reserves 3-0 down against York, who were playing in white, in a thick blizzard pitch covered in thick snow and playing with a white ball ( we stood under the old scoreboard on the CRoss St. then moved onto the kop for the 2nd half.). There was about 20 of us lead by Barry Watson, huddled together on the kop, they changed the ball to orange and we won 4-3 with Tony Moore scoring an hattrick.

** I'll sob my eyes out when we leave Saltergate its still a great little ground.

Until the open day this year and viewing an empty Saltergate from the dug out area I was surprised how imposing the kop looked since it's re vamp - there will be many clubs in our league envious of what we are leaving behind. The memories will always remain obviously and for me it would be the Carlisle goalie completely losing it against me and my mate who had been baiting him at the bottom of the kop - F-- O-- you little bounders and then he conceeded one - unforgetable. All the big games and important goals are too many to forget. My big sadness is that we don't experience the 12,000 plus crowds, especially the evening games - unbelievable atmospheres.
God I hate this league.

#77 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

On a personal note making myself sick at school so I could watch an FA cup replay v Netherfield only for the teacher to take me home and my ma sussing out my ploy and not letting me go.
Going to school speech day on a Friday night getting to the gates and thinking I've not missed a match for 3 years f*** it and legging it to Saltergate for a 0-0 with Southend. Then getting left out of the school team as a penance (another career ruined)
Taking my nan (a front row handbag wheeler at the wrestling at the Goldwell) for her only match I stood on the corner of the Kop/Compton away from embarrassment. When Ron Powell came to retrieve a wayward shot my nan screamed at him "your fat and useless". When I remonstrated with her that he was one of ours she responded with "no he's not we play in blue he's in green"
Watching my first ever real "set to" on the Kop against Bradford Park Avenue of all teams ,the shale and dust in the air was incredible
After the long wait, the first floodlit match against Rotherham res
Nearly being crushed to death against the Cross St wall when Nobby Clarke equalised v Stoke
A fantastic late Lee Turnbull header v Burnley
And all the fantastic memories mentioned in this thread
But over all being sat on the wall behind Kop goal when the ball stuck in mud on the line and Ivan Hollet running in to score he took an almighty swing at the ball missed it completely but hit me in the face with mud of his boot
With all these memories on this thread Barry I hate you for bringing it to an end

Only joking or am I

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 29 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#78 User is offline   Mr.Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

View Postmartatcross, on Nov 28 2009, 09:04 AM, said:

Mr Zero was struck off when it was found to be a secret Stag

I thought it was because he was dipping his hands in the money, just like he had done at Mansfield.

#79 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

View Postdalekpete, on Nov 28 2009, 10:08 PM, said:

I am convinced in 84-5 we were running out to "Agadoo". Can anyone confirm this? Saltergates greatest hits might have a strange feel...

Can't remember Agadoo - thought it might have been Tommy Steele around then?

Seriously though - might not be a bad idea for Howard to belt out a bit of the old un's before the Bournemouth game.

View PostMr.Spireite, on Nov 29 2009, 07:50 PM, said:

I thought it was because he was dipping his hands in the money, just like he had done at Mansfield.

A very serious accusation to be placing on a message board. Is this true or are you making things up again?
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#80 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:31 PM

View Postdalekpete, on Nov 28 2009, 11:08 PM, said:

84-85 was our championship winning season and we definitely ran out to 'singin the blues' (by Guy Mitchell?)
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users