• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ward Deal Done £330,000 on a 3 and a half year deal

#41 User is offline   spyright 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

Let me start by saying 'good luck' to Jamie and thanks for some cracking goals while you've been with us.

I don't know if £330,000 is a good deal or not but then, like all the other fans, I didn't sit in on the negotiations. I also think it's a bit like debating house prices - your house is worth precisely nothing unless you have someone seriously interested in buying it, so if £330,000 was the only serious offer on the table then the Board did the right thing in accepting the bid. Exactly how was the Board supposed to force the Blunts to pay £400,000? Do we know what their initial offer was? All the criticism of the agreed figure seems to be based on uninformed specualtion but what we do know is that the deal we have got certainly sounds better for us than watching him walk away in the summer for next to nothing and it was always likely that he would leave us for a club in a higher league sooner rather than later.

I don't blame the lad for doing that - what's wrong with showing some ambition and wanting to play at a higher level? I also wonder how many of those criticising him can honestly say that they would have opted to stay with CFC in his position?
If nothing acts faster than anadin, why do we buy anadin?

#42 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

This is why I didn't want the dee dah diddlers signing Wardy, they've weadled us out of £70,000. Once again the Board have let us down big stle just like the Davies deal. If Hubbard has got anything about him he'll now save the money and get rid of Ricco & Co. Whoever was joking about Wardy's feegoing down during the Chester game must have been sat near me.
£330k is a good fee with the sell on, but why have we dropped the flaming price? Typical Town!!!
RICCO OUT NOW PLEASE!!!
lindave

#43 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Jan 19 2009, 07:20 PM, said:

Like Ward turned down Barnsley, we could have turned down Sheff U.

Ok, but Ward knows he'll get his move, either now or in the summer; we on the other hand, had only the one opportunity (ie this window) to get anything approaching a decent fee for him. As I see it, if Ward and sheff U agreed terms but we had held out for 400k, they'd have told him "Sit tight until the summer, don't do owt to get injured," and then signed him for rather less than 330k, at a tribunal.
Posted Image

#44 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

View PostSaltergate Stu, on Jan 19 2009, 08:51 PM, said:

Ok, but Ward knows he'll get his move, either now or in the summer; we on the other hand, had only the one opportunity (ie this window) to get anything approaching a decent fee for him. As I see it, if Ward and sheff U agreed terms but we had held out for 400k, they'd have told him "Sit tight until the summer, don't do owt to get injured," and then signed him for rather less than 330k, at a tribunal.

Agreed. Had we been looking good for automatic promotion, do you think:-

1) We'd have sold him?

2) If we had sold him, would the fee have been greater than the one paid?

#45 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

View Postlindave, on Jan 19 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

This is why I didn't want the dee dah diddlers signing Wardy, they've weadled us out of £70,000. Once again the Board have let us down big stle just like the Davies deal. If Hubbard has got anything about him he'll now save the money and get rid of Ricco & Co. Whoever was joking about Wardy's feegoing down during the Chester game must have been sat near me.
£330k is a good fee with the sell on, but why have we dropped the flaming price? Typical Town!!!
RICCO OUT NOW PLEASE!!!

lets face it IF the sheff utd offer was the only 1 on the table we had to take it, just couldn`t risk losing him for a pittance in the closed season,
and if he does move on from there after a successful spell the price is likely to be better than what he would POTENTIALLY make at barnsley, due to sheff being a bigger and more respected club.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#46 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Jan 19 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

1) We'd have sold him?

1) yes

2) probably as ward would have scored more for us (in all likelyhood) in a more successful side & more teams may have been after him. dont think it would have been substantially bigger as out of contract in summer is a big factor.

#47 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Jan 19 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

1) We'd have sold him?

1: Most likely - just - not.

2: Very possibly.

Our circumstances are that 1: (barring the greatest second half to a season in our 142-year history) we're not going up and 2: he'll ****** off in the summer anyway. I think the board understand both equally well!

Be interesting to know if 330k was their starting offer.

This post has been edited by Saltergate Stu: 19 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

Posted Image

#48 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

View PostSaltergate Stu, on Jan 19 2009, 09:04 PM, said:

Our circumstances are that 1: (barring the greatest second half to a season in our 142-year history) we're not going up and 2: he'll ****** off in the summer anyway. I think the board understand both equally well!

Agreed, all this talk of promotion was sending me up the pole! I'm glad the Club are in touch with reality.

View PostSaltergate Stu, on Jan 19 2009, 09:04 PM, said:

Be interesting to know if 330k was their starting offer.

A poster suggested they started at £350K lol

#49 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

I was disappointed to hear he's gone for £330,000, £70k less than Barnsley offered, but i've since found out that it's £330k, rising to £400k due to add ons so that made me happier. I couldn't see anyone offering more than £400k given that we accepted that from Barnsley and it was wages that were the stumbling block. And with the end of january getting closer it was always going to be inceasingly unlikely for a club to meet the £400k.

What we need now is for Jamie to do well so we can get the add ons, and then Sheff U to cash in for a couple of million in a year in a couple of years.

#50 User is offline   Stallion Blue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

do town fans not read. it says it all in the club site !

Chesterfield striker Jamie Ward is joining Sheffield United after agreeing a 3.5 year deal with the Blades, after the clubs agreed a £330,000 fee plus add on's which could see the fee rise to £400,000. There is also a 15% sell on clause.

Im guessing the 400K is due to goals or even international appearances lol but typically sheff u appearances.

Now what happens next, we need another striker ???
TOMMY LEE 'there goes my Hero.. watch him there he goes !'

#51 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostBlueprint, on Jan 19 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I was disappointed to hear he's gone for £330,000, £70k less than Barnsley offered, but i've since found out that it's £330k, rising to £400k due to add ons so that made me happier. I couldn't see anyone offering more than £400k given that we accepted that from Barnsley and it was wages that were the stumbling block. And with the end of january getting closer it was always going to be inceasingly unlikely for a club to meet the £400k.

What we need now is for Jamie to do well so we can get the add ons, and then Sheff U to cash in for a couple of million in a year in a couple of years.

It might be the case that he has a better chance of full NI caps with the Blunts than the Dingles.
Posted Image

#52 User is offline   spireman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

How do you know the price has dropped, it says the fee rises to £400k.

We get £330k upfront with the rest dependant on ??????

Barnsley agreed £400k, but I did not see anywhere how that was going to be paid,
instalments etc etc.

The only stick we should be beating hubard and rico with is results, every manager
with results over the last year as bad as richardson would have left his post, in addition
many of the performances have been shocking. I dont think that whatever players the
manager has he is capable of providing a successful side.

One good thing with the ward transfer is that rico dosnt have to pick his team round him
and lester, we can perhaps play a proper 442 with lester and gritton upfront.

#53 User is offline   Larkin around 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

View Postspireman, on Jan 19 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

How do you know the price has dropped, it says the fee rises to £400k.

We get £330k upfront with the rest dependant on ??????

Barnsley agreed £400k, but I did not see anywhere how that was going to be paid,
instalments etc etc.

The only stick we should be beating hubard and rico with is results, every manager
with results over the last year as bad as richardson would have left his post, in addition
many of the performances have been shocking. I dont think that whatever players the
manager has he is capable of providing a successful side.

One good thing with the ward transfer is that rico dosnt have to pick his team round him
and lester, we can perhaps play a proper 442 with lester and gritton upfront.

Probably a combination; appearances for Sheff Utd and first international cap maybe?

I don't understand why the outstanding fee is disclosed but details of installments aren't.

This post has been edited by MurrayBu: 19 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

#54 User is offline   Stallion Blue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

appearance fees ! ! ! there is room in the squad after the departure of beattie. So has a chance of playing ! ! !

the truth is, no one should really complain, no one here took part in negotations, so no one hell knows, it was probably the best offer we got !

it is a good deal considering his contract etc..........

Good Luck Jamie, i am pleased. even though he has joined our rivals, it s not going to effect us that much ! they are not even in the same division.
TOMMY LEE 'there goes my Hero.. watch him there he goes !'

#55 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:32 PM

Based on what we got for Folan and how I thought Ward shaped as a player capable of going higher in comparison then I valued Ward weeks ago on here at £300,000 so I am pleased that we got a bit more. I thought the Barnsley fee was £400,000 with add ons (?) and if that is the case there isn't much difference with Sheff. U's offer. In any case for all the reasons put forward by others we only seemed to have two offers which effectively became one when Ward refused Barnsley's terms. In those circumstances of supply and demand the fee was never going to get inflated. A fair price I'd say.

#56 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:37 PM

I think the club have got a decent price, although we will no doubt miss young Ward. Good luck for the future Jamie.
If only....

#57 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:43 PM

View PostCartman, on Jan 19 2009, 06:52 PM, said:

when has Ward played in division 1?

how was he one of the best strikers of last season?

330k for a good League 2 (Division 4) player is a lot of money, not many go for more than that from this division, no matter how much they score!

I seriously doubt Ward will do anything at a higher level anyway, I can't really see him getting in the side, most Sheffield United fans I've talked to about this are very unhappy with the signingand if he is good enough, Barnsley with lower expectations and more chance of a game would have been a much better move for him, shame he's obviously a greedy little so and so

One PIG on RS tonight claimed they didn't know who he was, lying or pig thick take your choice, I'll go for both.

This post has been edited by azul: 19 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#58 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

View Postazul, on Jan 19 2009, 10:46 PM, said:

One PIG on RS tonight claimed they didn't know who he was, lying or pig thick take your choice, I'll go for both.

i'll go for him just bing pig thick;
330k (80k of which will go to torquay) is a very good deal,

one question, the fee could rise to 400k, to torquay get 25% of that 70k?

This post has been edited by true blue: 19 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#59 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Jan 19 2009, 07:20 PM, said:

Like Ward turned down Barnsley, we could have turned down Sheff U.

CFC are not in a position to turn down that amount of money for a player who is out of contract in the summer.
A new hope.

#60 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

View Posttrue blue, on Jan 19 2009, 11:08 PM, said:

i'll go for him just bing pig thick;
330k (80k of which will go to torquay) is a very good deal,

one question, the fee could rise to 400k, to torquay get 25% of that 70k?

Torquay get about £55k but will get 25% of any other fees as this will represent profit for us. It also means we only get 11.75% of any sell-on profit.
Peter Whiteley

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users