Bob's Board: What Areas Will Cook Tweek For Next Season? - Bob's Board

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Areas Will Cook Tweek For Next Season?

#1 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:54 AM

In no doubt that we are in such a strong position Cookie has a 2/3 month advantage on league 2 clubs next year he has a fantastic opportunity to trial the likes of Hobson and give game time to those who have struggled a bit more to cement a place like King,he is certain to rotate the squad often and i dont think he will chase the wrexham total but insist the quality and tenacity continues no matter who he plays.
The question is which areas do we just lack in a bit,imo and its not the opinion of many on here a quicker bigger centre forward is needed,we also need to find out what the keeper situation is and give Boot a few back to back games he has been superb.
Will this be the last season for mike Jones,what an inspirational player he has been at times through the season,we nearly have a top3/4 side already what others could make us back to back champions?
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#2 User is online   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:01 AM

Striker 100%

I remember the promotion to L1 where we went with an ageing Jack and B&B

2-0 down to Preston at home and they took Jack off to save for the Saturday and basically threw the game
JRID

#3 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:02 AM

Yep the keeper situation will need sorting. Would ideally want Tyrer back for another year on loan but Everton may have other ideas and want him playing at L1 level. Boot is a very good keeper, is he the ball-playing sweeper keeper that Cook wants as 1st choice? Unsure.
Agree we will need another striker to compete with Grigg and Quigley. A bit of pace up top wouldn't go amiss because we only really have Berry who in that regard.
Jones signed another deal didn't he?
Maybe give Freckleton a year so we have cover for Grimes. I don't think many signings will be required for us to push for promotion in L2.

#4 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:04 AM

Goalkeeper definitely, but you'd be hopeful that Everton allow Tyrer to return and continue plying his trade another step further up
Centre Back, I'd be more than happy with Freckleton coming in, I believe his contract with Sheff Utd is up in the summer, does Cook feel he can find an upgrade on Palmer?
Centre Forward, in an ideal world we'd bring another in that is ready to play in the starting 11, but as we only play one up top it's unlikely and I'd be more than happy with Grigg and Quigley as the options
Centre Mid, Jones deserves a chance I think, up until Solihull away he never put a foot wrong, has a right engine, plays it simple and by all accounts a great character to have in the dressing room.

The benefit is, we don't need much to challenge (if anything). I'm sure Cook will have targets and depending on the budget will look to bring them in if they are available and who wouldn't want to come here right now!

#5 User is online   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:06 AM

View PostBonnyman, on 07 February 2024 - 08:54 AM, said:

In no doubt that we are in such a strong position Cookie has a 2/3 month advantage on league 2 clubs next year he has a fantastic opportunity to trial the likes of Hobson and give game time to those who have struggled a bit more to cement a place like King,he is certain to rotate the squad often and i dont think he will chase the wrexham total but insist the quality and tenacity continues no matter who he plays.
The question is which areas do we just lack in a bit,imo and its not the opinion of many on here a quicker bigger centre forward is needed,we also need to find out what the keeper situation is and give Boot a few back to back games he has been superb.
Will this be the last season for mike Jones,what an inspirational player he has been at times through the season,we nearly have a top3/4 side already what others could make us back to back champions?

Didn’t Mike Jones sign an extension recently covering next season? Or have I imagined that?

I agree on Boot. What little I’ve seen he’s been excellent and IF Tyrer is not going to be here next season I think Boot needs a decent run.

My only real concern would be at centre half. Unfortunately Palmer isn’t the long term answer IMO and we don’t know the situation with Freckleton so Grimes and Williams need cover and challenging for their spot.

#6 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:09 AM

I suppose the difference will be planning around the transfer windows to have cover to an extent but at the same time i presume there are some rules around squad size etc to stick to as well.

#7 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:17 AM

View PostJonB, on 07 February 2024 - 09:09 AM, said:

I suppose the difference will be planning around the transfer windows to have cover to an extent but at the same time i presume there are some rules around squad size etc to stick to as well.

If say Cook has his eye on someone whose contract is up in the summer, maybe a word with the board now the leagues all but done and seeing if we can't approach early and get them in before our transfer deadline in March?

#8 User is offline   Nickycw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:30 AM

King said he’d not heard anything about a new contract, so I reckon we could see a new RB coming in. I’d take Freckleton if he’s happy to be a squad player and wait for his chance, and think we might upgrade Palmer too. GK will obviously need sorting one way or another.

A pacy striker is the main thing though for me. Just a bit of a different option

#9 User is offline   DOUGLAS JARDINE 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:33 AM

View PostNickycw, on 07 February 2024 - 09:30 AM, said:

King said he’d not heard anything about a new contract, so I reckon we could see a new RB coming in. I’d take Freckleton if he’s happy to be a squad player and wait for his chance, and think we might upgrade Palmer too. GK will obviously need sorting one way or another.

A pacy striker is the main thing though for me. Just a bit of a different option

He’s a great lad is Jeff but we moved on in terms of quality now

Barely a fringe player in NL nowadays

#10 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:39 AM

Maybe I'm reading into things a little too much but regarding contract extensions / players already signed up for next seasons you'd think players OOC he'd want to keep would already be sorted - eg Palmer and King. Grimes is in already and Williams has signed an extension but no mention of Palmer.
Stockport didn't take Ash Palmer with them to L2 when they got promoted so is L2 a step to far for Ash?
The post match interview with Jeff King last night, I got the feeling he seems resigned to be leaving at the end of his contract. He's been in and out if the team, hasn't talked extensions and is not really sure what's going to be happening for him next season. He stated that since he arrived for Halifax all he wanted to do was get promoted with us and you can tell he'd want to stay with the tone of his voice but this might be his swan song in the Spireite Blue.

Elsewhere on the pitch, I think midfield is sorted.

Could do with some electrifying pace up top.

I'd be happy with Boot in goal if Tyrer doesn't return - so possibly a back up keeper

Cover/competition for Grimes & Williams if Palmer is released

Cover/ competition for Sheckleford if King released

#11 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:53 AM

To strengthen
Keeper (Not seen enough of Boot but we need 2 anyway)
Centre Back
Centre Forward

Then genuine squad players depending on contract offers.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#12 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:54 AM

Banks and Clements ooc as well this summer but do I read Banks was in discussions with us?
East stand second class citizen.

#13 User is online   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2024 - 09:59 AM

View PostGoku, on 07 February 2024 - 09:02 AM, said:

Yep the keeper situation will need sorting. Would ideally want Tyrer back for another year on loan but Everton may have other ideas and want him playing at L1 level. Boot is a very good keeper, is he the ball-playing sweeper keeper that Cook wants as 1st choice? Unsure.
Agree we will need another striker to compete with Grigg and Quigley. A bit of pace up top wouldn't go amiss because we only really have Berry who in that regard.
Jones signed another deal didn't he?
Maybe give Freckleton a year so we have cover for Grimes. I don't think many signings will be required for us to push for promotion in L2.

He might come permanent if Everton get docked 2/3 divisions.
God I hate this league.

#14 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:01 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 07 February 2024 - 09:54 AM, said:

Banks and Clements ooc as well this summer but do I read Banks was in discussions with us?

Wasn't aware of this but then again not sure who was OOC.
I think we should be extending Banks - his experience would be vital and he's a decent player too!
We should also extend Clements as he's been playing regularly (with Eastleigh and then back in tbe starting line up with us) and will look to keep on improving aswell as being a good age

#15 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:15 AM

Two new full backs to improve on Sheckleford and Horton, I wouldn’t bother with either King or Clements. A new CM as now Banks has moved back up we only have Jones as cover which is fine in this league but probably not the one above. Maybe a pacy striker as a different option as others have suggested but that’s about it. I think Tyrer will be here next season.

#16 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:26 AM

We’ve also got to remember, Cook will be signing players this summer with league 1 in mind, we will 100% be going for promotion next season.

#17 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:40 AM

Spine of the team for me.

GK - presumably tyrer will go to a higher level still. Boot is OOC in summer
CB - Palmer will go. Freckleton is only on loan. I could see 2 CBs coming in.
CM - need cover
CF - Grigg supported by Quigley won’t be enough I don’t think.

#18 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:42 AM

View PostLondonBlue, on 07 February 2024 - 10:40 AM, said:

CM - need cover

Again I’ve only seen it mentioned in here rather than anything official but some say we have an “option” to keep Tyrer for a further season if we’re promoted. Wasn’t sure you could have “options” when you’re only loaning the player.
East stand second class citizen.

#19 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:47 AM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 07 February 2024 - 10:26 AM, said:

We’ve also got to remember, Cook will be signing players this summer with league 1 in mind, we will 100% be going for promotion next season.

Absolutely.
Keep that momentum going and plough through L2

#20 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2024 - 10:54 AM

View PostLondonBlue, on 07 February 2024 - 10:40 AM, said:

CM - need cover

Agree with this. It will be evolution, not revolution. I think we will be in a good position to get Tyrer for another season to be honest.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users