Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: 2 New Faces before end of the week!! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 New Faces before end of the week!!

#41 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

View Postsammythespire, on Aug 3 2009, 10:22 AM, said:

Was told yesterday that 2 more faces would be added before the end of the week!!

still waiting

#42 User is offline   spyright 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on Aug 5 2009, 09:23 AM, said:

Fish

Do you not think there has been movement already then??

4 Qualtity signings in Breckin, Crossley, Allott and Talbot, as well as 3 'rejuvinations' in Page, Picken and Harsley.

If the right players are not available then I'd much rather JS wait and get them eventually, at thr right price then either chuck unneccessary money at them or sign hole-fillers for the sake of it.

Agree with that 'Sammy'. There's no point throwing money away or signing someone just for the sake of it when you can eventually get a better player a few weeks later. There's a few on here been moaning that we panicked when we signed Gritton so I assume they are all in favour of JS playing the patient game?

As you say, the signings so far haven't been exactly 'shabby' (even if I'm not entirely convinced about Allott), Picken is getting back to something like his best, Page still has some way to go but has definitely improved and Harsley has looked okay in the brief displays I've seen from him (and looked like he actually wanted to play again). Things could always be better but I'm quite happy with what I've seen from JS so far. He was never going to transform us into promotion certainties in just a few weeks - no manager would unless he was literally given millions to spend and even then buying lots of new/expensive players doesn't always lead to instant success (or even any success). One of the things that does make a difference is the character of the team that you build - 11 prima donnas might be exciting to watch but would they deliver on a consistent basis? Niv is never going to be a great technical player but he's an important part of the team precisely because he's a grafter who never knows when he's beaten and a total pain in the a**e to the opposition! Also we weren't exactly spoiled for choice when it came to leaders over the last few seasons but we've got a few who could fill that role now.

Let's see how the next few months go.
If nothing acts faster than anadin, why do we buy anadin?

#43 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

View Postspyright, on Aug 6 2009, 04:53 PM, said:

Agree with that 'Sammy'. There's no point throwing money away or signing someone just for the sake of it when you can eventually get a better player a few weeks later. There's a few on here been moaning that we panicked when we signed Gritton so I assume they are all in favour of JS playing the patient game?

As you say, the signings so far haven't been exactly 'shabby' (even if I'm not entirely convinced about Allott), Picken is getting back to something like his best, Page still has some way to go but has definitely improved and Harsley has looked okay in the brief displays I've seen from him (and looked like he actually wanted to play again). Things could always be better but I'm quite happy with what I've seen from JS so far. He was never going to transform us into promotion certainties in just a few weeks - no manager would unless he was literally given millions to spend and even then buying lots of new/expensive players doesn't always lead to instant success (or even any success). One of the things that does make a difference is the character of the team that you build - 11 prima donnas might be exciting to watch but would they deliver on a consistent basis? Niv is never going to be a great technical player but he's an important part of the team precisely because he's a grafter who never knows when he's beaten and a total pain in the a**e to the opposition! Also we weren't exactly spoiled for choice when it came to leaders over the last few seasons but we've got a few who could fill that role now.

Let's see how the next few months go.

You don't need to worry about Allott, I'd be more worried about Niven and Talbot than Mark! And that's no slur on those two!
#notapennymore

#44 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on Aug 4 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

sounds like the same as last year no proper strike force season under way no jack no money no nothing get ready lads for another crap end to season

But I thought the 'RICO OUT' heroes last season had achieved a miracle by getting rid of our manager and paving the way for unbridled success!!

#45 User is offline   the original blue pill 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:56 AM

View Postsophocles, on Aug 6 2009, 09:44 PM, said:

But I thought the 'RICO OUT' heroes last season had achieved a miracle by getting rid of our manager and paving the way for unbridled success!!

Sophocles its called opinions,Heroes don't come along very often,believe me you ain't gonna be one of them,Lets ALL SHOUT OPINIONS OUT GET RID OF SOPHOCLES,what does that serve quite right nothing.Its only opinions man,it makes people who they are.It would be a boring world if everyone agreed,the Human brain a marvelous invention,open your mind mate,stop slagging people off.Welcome to the world of debate.

4 HOURS OF SHEER HEAVEN,STIFF AS A BOARD BABY HA HA

#46 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

About time you acknowledged us.

Cheers.

#47 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

'RICO OUT' heroes

AKA the ones who were right all along....

Is that why you are so bitter?
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#48 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Aug 7 2009, 03:02 PM, said:

AKA the ones who were right all along....

Is that why you are so bitter?

Nobody is right or wrong what happens happens. Whose to say anything would have been different if Rico would have gone at Chrismas or last summer. To shout 'I was right, you were wrong' is playground antics and immature...... The 'nah nah nah I'm better than you' attitude does'nt help anyone!

#49 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

View Postdjs, on Aug 7 2009, 05:48 PM, said:

Nobody is right or wrong what happens happens. Whose to say anything would have been different if Rico would have gone at Chrismas or last summer. To shout 'I was right, you were wrong' is playground antics and immature...... The 'nah nah nah I'm better than you' attitude does'nt help anyone!

Maybe if you revisit a number of threads during our more successful periods over the last couple of seasons (they shouldn't take long to find as there weren't that many of them) you'll discover quite a number of juvenile 'na-na-na-na-naaa' style posts.

And i'm prepared to wager that the vast majority were from those advocating support for Hubbard's appointment, taunting those that'd been critical.

To be fair i think the vast majority on here began by opposing Richardson being given the job, decided to give him a fair chance, but ended up becoming increasingly critical.

I have no problem with that.

However there are others, just a few, that sought to defend, excuse, and praise Lee Richardson until the bitter end, even to the point of telling us he should be given a new contract.

Though i couldn't help but notice how they hastily distanced themselves from those statements when Allen apparently overruled any such ideas.

Subsequently, and taking into account the ridicule and mockery these contributors attempted to inflict on those of us that were eventually proven right, i see no reason why individuals whose judgement was as flawed as the Chairman's should escape at least a degree of scorn.

Infact in one particularly abusive case i think it's the least he deserves!

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 07 August 2009 - 05:32 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#50 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on Aug 7 2009, 06:42 PM, said:

Maybe if you revisit a number of threads during our more successful periods over the last couple of seasons (they shouldn't take long to find as there weren't that many of them) you'll discover quite a number of juvenile 'na-na-na-na-naaa' style posts.

And i'm prepared to wager that the vast majority were from those advocating support for Hubbard's appointment, taunting those that'd been critical.

To be fair i think the vast majority on here began by opposing Richardson being given the job, decided to give him a fair chance, but ended up becoming increasingly critical.

However there are others, just a few, that sought to defend, excuse, and praise Lee Richardson until the bitter end, even to the point of telling us he should be given a new contract.

Though i couldn't help but notice how they hastily distanced themselves from those statements when Allen apparently overruled any such ideas.

Subsequently, and taking into account the ridicule and mockery these contributors attempted to inflict on those of us that were eventually proven right, i see no reason why individuals whose judgement was as flawed as the Chairman's should escape at least a degree of scorn.

Chris mate,we have been a league 1 league 2 club for most of my time supporting town,i have wanted the second tier for 40 years,it isn't easy without money and we have spent big,i don't know how old you are but i think you have to have more patience,it is no good blaming this manager or that manager,Hubbard has to run a tight ship or else you get point docked.

It is not about being proven right or wrong Chris it is about the predicament we find our selves in,i have seen the good times and by that i go back to the late 60's and 70's,the Cup was a bonus as was the playoff finals....

#51 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Isn't it funny how those that so often sneered with contempt and dubbed critics 'not true supporters' now talk of 'forgive and forget'.

Wonder if they'd have adopted such a magnanimous stance if those they abused had been proven wrong.....

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 07 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

#52 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:14 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on Aug 7 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Isn't it funny how those that so often sneered with contempt and dubbed critics 'not true supporters' now seek to brush the last couple of season 'under the carpet'...

No i for one haven't brushed anything under the carpet,i am a realist,like i said i don't know how old you are but i have seen enough over the years,it is easy to say it in words than to put it into action.....

#53 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on Aug 7 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Isn't it funny how those that so often sneered with contempt and dubbed critics 'not true supporters' now talk of 'forgive and forget'.

Don't take it personal Chris!

#54 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:27 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Aug 7 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

Don't take it personal Chris!

You know me, mate; skin thicker than a rhino's jacksy!

Infact other than the cathartic element, it's all just entertainment to me.

But can i be blamed for being cynical when those that so readily dished it out suddenly begin to advocate reconciliation?

#55 User is offline   sammythespire 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:40 PM

View Postrodney's moustach, on Aug 6 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

still waiting

one done one to come
R.I.P Saltergate

#56 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

View Postspireman, on Aug 6 2009, 04:07 PM, said:

Why do chesterfield fc staff announce player signings before players have actually signed. 2 players by the end of the week?????, may happen, hope it does, but it raises expectations and draws criticsm when it doesnt happen.

Let the media/fans speculate but keep quiet until theres something to say.

Things are pretty quiet at our club as it is. Do we really want them to be any quieter.

#57 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

View Postsammythespire, on Aug 3 2009, 10:22 AM, said:

Was told yesterday that 2 more faces would be added before the end of the week!!

:P :lol:
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#58 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on Aug 7 2009, 06:42 PM, said:

A re-writing of history that stands out even by your own high standards. In fact, the gloating when the results went our way - and they went our way in quite spectacular fashion on several occasions - was negligible, and confined to one or two people. Contrast that with page after page of abuse, from mild to obscene, whenever we lost, and the attempts at intimidation of anybody who tried to give a more balanced view, and you won't need to wonder why any outsider looking at the attitude of the fans should find it less than positive.
Rico was by no means a bad manager, as I think Mr. Sheridan is about to prove. Winning games in this division, or any other, is not the simple matter of just turning up and rolling over the opposition that you and your young friends are naive enough to think it.
You were not the target for 'ridicule and mockery' which your pathetic whingeing would have us believe, though your ridiculous attempts to stir things up by telling us, via your 'mole', that everybody was falling out in the dressing room deserved just that. In fact, as one of the main instigators of a totally negative view you've had a very easy ride simply because the grumblers are always the ones who shout loudest.

#59 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

View Posth again, on Aug 8 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

A re-writing of history that stands out even by your own high standards. In fact, the gloating when the results went our way - and they went our way in quite spectacular fashion on several occasions - was negligible, and confined to one or two people. Contrast that with page after page of abuse, from mild to obscene, whenever we lost, and the attempts at intimidation of anybody who tried to give a more balanced view, and you won't need to wonder why any outsider looking at the attitude of the fans should find it less than positive.
Rico was by no means a bad manager, as I think Mr. Sheridan is about to prove. Winning games in this division, or any other, is not the simple matter of just turning up and rolling over the opposition that you and your young friends are naive enough to think it.
You were not the target for 'ridicule and mockery' which your pathetic whingeing would have us believe, though your ridiculous attempts to stir things up by telling us, via your 'mole', that everybody was falling out in the dressing room deserved just that. In fact, as one of the main instigators of a totally negative view you've had a very easy ride simply because the grumblers are always the ones who shout loudest.

Firstly, if "Rico was by no means a bad manager", why did you state he should've gone before Christmas?

After spending "page after page" defending him, of course.

As for "abuse, mild to obscene" i think there's only one contributor to this forum that deals in such currency - and that's against Chesterfield supporters.

Yet to my knowledge i've never read a post of your's condemning his approach.

When it comes to gloating and taunting on the few occasions the team shone over the last couple of years, i'm more than happy for folk to check back and re-read posts/entire threads that began with comments such as 'Where are the moaners now?', or words to that effect.

Or even, in one or two extreme cases, that were specifically aimed at your's truly.

The same applies to the info supplied by my good friend 'Deepthroat', too.

Then i guess those same folk can make up their own mind who's attempting to re-write history.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 09 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

#60 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hmmm, does this mean you're hoping 'Les' Sheridan fails so you can tell everyone your 'Give Lee another contract' stance was correct?

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users