• You cannot reply to this topic

Signing Then If He Agrees Terms.

#21 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:18 AM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 29 January 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

Good luck to Boden if he comes but is anyone else feeling a bit underwhelmed that our big signing will be someone who was once very much a fringe player and has slipped down the leagues since (just like we have)?

Is he our 'big signing'?

He's always been a L2/Non-League player and has always done OK.

Look at the the table, were signing a goal scorer, playing regularly, from a much higher team for a pittance (compared to some january inflated prices)

As has been said many times, were trying to attract players to a team in free fall, much publicised for a myriad of negative issues and off field scandals and staring at a third consequetive releagtion.

#22 User is online   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

Will we make enough chances for Boden to score goals?

#23 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

View PostDIFH, on 29 January 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

What will the signing show us? Real intention, stop gap, desperation that the league transfer window is closing?

Not the first, probably the second, and if it is the third then our grasp on reality is even less firm than I feared.
These go to eleven.

#24 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 29 January 2019 - 10:18 AM, said:

Is he our 'big signing'?

He's always been a L2/Non-League player and has always done OK.

Look at the the table, were signing a goal scorer, playing regularly, from a much higher team for a pittance (compared to some january inflated prices)

As has been said many times, were trying to attract players to a team in free fall, much publicised for a myriad of negative issues and off field scandals and staring at a third consequetive releagtion.

At the moment, in the absence of other signings, any signing is a 'big' one, relatively.
These go to eleven.

#25 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:32 AM

I wasnt aware we'd been promised a big signing had we? Although i could well have missed that interview where it was mentioned.

In Boden you are getting someone that Sheridan knows well, fairly cheap, has a decent goal scoring record at this level, knows the club, seems like he wants to be here and is probably different to any of the other strikers we have.

#26 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

View PostDIFH, on 29 January 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

... desperation that the league transfer window is closing?

irrelevant, as players can still leave league clubs to sign for non-league after the league window closes.

We may well get signings once the window closes and league clubs know what they've got and who is surplus or needs game time.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 29 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

#27 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

View Posthilly81, on 29 January 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Will we make enough chances for Boden to score goals?

If memory serves me correctly, Boden's movement off the ball was pretty good. That quality is exactly what we're lacking right now, so maybe he could be effective playing off Denton if they played together and built up an understanding.

#28 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

View Postsophocles, on 29 January 2019 - 10:45 AM, said:

If memory serves me correctly, Boden's movement off the ball was pretty good. That quality is exactly what we're lacking right now, so maybe he could be effective playing off Denton if they played together and built up an understanding.

The best movement I've seen from a forward at Town was Eoin Doyle, and it really clicked when the class midfield behind him took advantage of that.
On the other hand I recall Boden consistently running around a couple of yards behind an opponent who had the ball, as if Boden was tethered to the opponent by an invisible rigid cable, rarely actually challenging- what you might call a 'pseudo-press'. Perhaps his off-the-ball movement when we were in possession was better than I recall but he wasn't the paciest or most mobile.
What Boden could do was finish, and I'm sure that over the years his positional sense has developed- he was very young when with us. I actually think we could use Denton as a static finisher just as well as we could Boden- the problem is that we seem to succumb to the temptation to lump it once Denton is on the pitch.

This post has been edited by Siberian Spireite: 29 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

These go to eleven.

#29 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

Just needs to expect him to flick everything on so shouldn't take long.
We're on our way

#30 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

Sheridan wants people he knows and can trust. Boden can put the ball in the net from positions no one else in our squad can and as such will improve us.

#31 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 January 2019 - 10:58 AM, said:

Sheridan wants people he knows and can trust. Boden can put the ball in the net from positions no one else in our squad can and as such will improve us.

Right in front of goal is probably one of them.....

#32 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

View PostJonB, on 29 January 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Right in front of goal is probably one of them.....

That would be a start. Off the shoulder of the centre half on the turn. He might have struggled a little as a younger man in better company but we're crap now and non-league so he'll be absolutely fine.

Stay up this season, fingers crossed, and be part of the next big rebuild for what hopefully becomes a promotion challenge next season.

#33 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

When he came here earlier in the season I thought his movement was good. The key for me is still midfield though, they have to change their mindset and be more positive. If boden (or whoever) played up front on their own the midfield need to be more positive with passes and support. If we have two up front we need the same positive play.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#34 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 29 January 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

When he came here earlier in the season I thought his movement was good. The key for me is still midfield though, they have to change their mindset and be more positive. If boden (or whoever) played up front on their own the midfield need to be more positive with passes and support. If we have two up front we need the same positive play.

It helps encourage the midfield to pass forward, if there is someone in front of them playing off the defenders shoulder and willing and able to run in behind.

#35 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

I will be more than happy if Boden returns.

This squad needs a complete rebuild, akin to what Lincoln City did 2 years ago. Dead wood needs shipping out, and we need hungry players who want to win games. Happy to accept any ex cast off or Stags player, if it means we have a squad that is capable of competing at the right end of the table next season.

Absolutely sick to the back teeth of season after season of relegation battle and struggle.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#36 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

It would be even better if Sheridan could get a midfielder to run past Denton (or Fortune) as well as Boden. With a runner on either side of the CF it would give him a choice of which side to play the ball, and it would also keep the defenders guessing and stretch them more.

#37 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 29 January 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

Should be ok when Charlie Carter comes back then ?

#38 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

View Postsophocles, on 29 January 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

It would be even better if Sheridan could get a midfielder to run past Denton (or Fortune) as well as Boden. With a runner on either side of the CF it would give him a choice of which side to play the ball, and it would also keep the defenders guessing and stretch them more.

Carter as mentioned or even Rowley rather than playing him further back in midfield.

#39 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

Rowley played better in league one than he has done since.
I wonder if Rowley's problem is Rowley's ego.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#40 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 29 January 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Rowley played better in league one than he has done since.
I wonder if Rowley's problem is Rowley's ego.

I feel for him a bit as he was deemed the next big thing by Caldwell then he's been in and out of a crap side ever since and had some injuries. Then when he has been back recently he seems to have been played probably out of position. Be interesting to see what Sheridan makes of him and where he thinks he should be playing. Rowley is still a young inexperienced player really and in my eyes probably needs a run playing in a more natural position for him.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users