• You cannot reply to this topic

The Griggford Files

#41 User is offline   rodney 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:17 PM

View PostCFC91, on 28 August 2023 - 06:11 PM, said:

Another town fan that either doesn’t go or sits there with eyes closed.

Grigg is a very intelligent player, works hard, movement etc is on another level. We just don’t have the players to get the ball into the box for him. And the ones we do have are the type that like to create chances for themselves (not saying this is always a bad thing)

Probably Griggs best game for us so far, he won’t score a hatful playing like we do, but he offers a lot in other areas.

Should have scored at the back post though

A very arrogant post there my friend. I’ve been to every game with eyes open.
In my opinion Grigg was poor today, missed an absolute sitter and should have done better when clean through in the first half. As someone else has said if that’s Quigley this board is in meltdown.

Doesn’t work As hard as Quigley but I agree his movement is good. But, he needs to score…good chances missed today and Oldham. He will have been the most relieved person in the ground when Naylor scored.

#42 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:25 PM

View Posthilly81, on 28 August 2023 - 04:51 PM, said:

Grigg’s miss was obviously a howler but to go against the grain, 2nd half he was excellent bar his one big chance. He held the ball up well, came deep and linked play. It’s so odd ‘supporters’ seemingly revelling in him not scoring.

He's been brought in to score goals though and he isn't producing that. If Naylor doesn't score that winner last off the 2 chances he missed today would have come into play and the service to him by the way for those 2 chances were perfect. For the money he's on he should be doing better in my opinion.

#43 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:27 PM

View Postrodney, on 28 August 2023 - 06:17 PM, said:

A very arrogant post there my friend. I’ve been to every game with eyes open.
In my opinion Grigg was poor today, missed an absolute sitter and should have done better when clean through in the first half. As someone else has said if that’s Quigley this board is in meltdown.

Doesn’t work As hard as Quigley but I agree his movement is good. But, he needs to score…good chances missed today and Oldham. He will have been the most relieved person in the ground when Naylor scored.

This boards in meltdown anyway. You only have to see the state of the match thread during the game with folk Sat at home clamouring to get in here to criticise before the games even done.

Like I said, Griggs on another level, shouldn’t even remotely be compared to Quigley. Totally different players, totally different levels of quality. We don’t play to his strengths in my opinion, largely due to the type of players our wide players are. Dobra and Colclough create their own chances, hence why they always cut in. We look a much more dangerous side when we get the ball to the byline and get the ball in the box. We did that more today with Jacobs and Berry in particular (I assume Jacobs knows Griggs strengths so tried to play to them). Colclough had a very good game too, coincidentally at his best when we was taking people on rather than trying to cut inside and shoot himself as much. He shouldn’t drop this as it does work for us, but not every time.

#44 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:36 PM

Grigg is a very intelligent player, works hard, movement etc is on another level. We just don’t have the players to get the ball into the box for him. And the ones we do have are the type that like to create chances for themselves (not saying this is always a bad thing)

Probably Griggs best game for us so far, he won’t score a hatful playing like we do, but he offers a lot in other areas.

Finally someone saw his performance as I did. I thought he was decent today. Had a massive hand in the winner as well.

#45 User is offline   Fact Checker 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:41 PM

View PostCFC91, on 28 August 2023 - 06:27 PM, said:

This boards in meltdown anyway. You only have to see the state of the match thread during the game with folk Sat at home clamouring to get in here to criticise before the games even done.

Like I said, Griggs on another level, shouldn’t even remotely be compared to Quigley. Totally different players, totally different levels of quality. We don’t play to his strengths in my opinion, largely due to the type of players our wide players are. Dobra and Colclough create their own chances, hence why they always cut in. We look a much more dangerous side when we get the ball to the byline and get the ball in the box. We did that more today with Jacobs and Berry in particular (I assume Jacobs knows Griggs strengths so tried to play to them). Colclough had a very good game too, coincidentally at his best when we was taking people on rather than trying to cut inside and shoot himself as much. He shouldn’t drop this as it does work for us, but not every time.

Absolutely correct. It’s also very telling that despite a fantastic team performance and last minute winner, some fans still clamour to find a negative. Very sad lives indeed.

Just as a side note, take a look at the Pools forum if anyone gets chance. They’re very complementary about us… “best non league side I’ve ever seen” - and Grigg is very much a part of this team.

#46 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:44 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 28 August 2023 - 05:53 PM, said:

It's called having a set of ,eyes,he has no explosive pace,he isn't strong ,I want to proved wrong but I'm thinking expensive flop
I'm thinking the very same bonny on a 3 yr deal too

#47 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2023 - 06:59 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 28 August 2023 - 03:17 PM, said:

I expected Grigg's movement and guile to be top notch but it is not. Too often not in place when the ball is played into dangerous positions up top.

Only 6 games in, 2 goals so far, dont worry he'll soon be on fire scoring goals.
lindave

#48 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:23 PM

Either way you look at it PC signed him on a 3yr deal so all the PC followers are bound to defend him.

Without taking any sides I still think he could be an asset but after seeing him since the start of the season he seems a yard off the pace to me and lacks mobility.even though he’s clearly an established goal-scorer.

When you’re a box-sniffer you need not only the instinct but speed to beat the defender to the ball. Admittedly he’s had limited service in this department so far since the start of the season but I think even I could have put away that cross from Berry. I think he like Jacobs & Naylor are starting to realise that coming down a few leagues to the NL isn’t quite as easy after all. Grigg in particular needs to find a bit of an edge otherwise he’ll end up an expensive flop I’m afraid.

I remain optimistic as long as we play to his strengths but by the same token he needs to get his finger out

#49 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:39 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 28 August 2023 - 05:53 PM, said:

It's called having a set of ,eyes,he has no explosive pace,he isn't strong ,I want to proved wrong but I'm thinking expensive flop

Did he make any attempts that would suggest that he does or doesn't have pace? I recall him running towards the ball once and their keeper gathering it first. Other than that?

We must have been at different games then.

'Works hard' . Seriously, you think he worked hard today?

'Offers a lot'. What did he offer today?

#50 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:40 PM

Rather embarrassing and shameful that a thread has been created to berate, belittle a player to be fair.
Just because he hasn’t scored 30 goals by now..FFS!
Give him time to adjust to the league…once he gets going I’m sure he’ll be the predator he has been known as

#51 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:42 PM

Imagine this kind of forum in your workplace & someone starts making a thread of how bad you are….sometimes people need to put the show on the other foot & see how you would feel

#52 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:49 PM

I sat pretty much in line with the North Stand end eighteen yard box today.

And it was noticable how many runs both he and Jacobs made only to go unfound.

Grigg made sideways runs too, taking defenders with him and creating gaps for others.

Then there was his unfussy hold up play.

That second half miss was pretty galling, but overall the bloke's struggling for service in a division where most outfits will have an eight, nine or even ten man defence when Town have the ball.

Not gonna call out folk who criticise in context, but it some seem to've turned against Cook regardless which then projects onto his signings...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#53 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:15 PM

View Posthilly81, on 28 August 2023 - 04:51 PM, said:

Grigg’s miss was obviously a howler but to go against the grain, 2nd half he was excellent bar his one big chance. He held the ball up well, came deep and linked play. It’s so odd ‘supporters’ seemingly revelling in him not scoring.

I thought he played well as well. Good movement. Kept the centre halves busy, made space for others.

#54 User is offline   gloucestershireblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:38 PM

Played well. Part of the team that played well. Also responsible for 2 points gained at Oxford.

#55 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2023 - 08:57 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 28 August 2023 - 07:49 PM, said:

I sat pretty much in line with the North Stand end eighteen yard box today.

And it was noticable how many runs both he and Jacobs made only to go unfound.

Grigg made sideways runs too, taking defenders with him and creating gaps for others.

Then there was his unfussy hold up play.

That second half miss was pretty galling, but overall the bloke's struggling for service in a division where most outfits will have an eight, nine or even ten man defence when Town have the ball.

Not gonna call out folk who criticise in context, but it some seem to've turned against Cook regardless which then projects onto his signings...

Mate i had a conversation with you at half time but all this talk of dragging players out of position due to Intelligent running is baloney,it was 80 minutes till he dropped off and came deep,he must have had less than 20 touches in the game ,now I'd love to be proved wrong but I wasnt wrong about bringing the superb Jones back and I wasn't wrong about colclough being a left sided player he is class but grigg is a passenger the rest of the front 4 are carrying him

This post has been edited by Bonnyman: 28 August 2023 - 09:01 PM

ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#56 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2023 - 09:07 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 28 August 2023 - 08:57 PM, said:

Mate i had a conversation with you at half time but all this talk of dragging players out of position due to Intelligent running is baloney,it was 80 minutes till he dropped off and came deep,he must have had less than 20 touches in the game ,now I'd love to be proved wrong but I wasnt wrong about bringing the superb Jones back and I wasn't wrong about colclough being a left sided player he is class but grigg is a passenger the rest of the front 4 are carrying him

Tend to agree.
Could we one day see no Grigg, with Berry and Colclough accommodated, with either of them alternating playing the front role?

#57 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 August 2023 - 09:21 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 28 August 2023 - 08:57 PM, said:

I think you’re being a bit harsh on Grigg so early into his town career and I’ve seen the hold up play and movement, but the three year deal is a long time!
East stand second class citizen.

#58 User is offline   Surrey Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2023 - 09:24 PM

I find it simply astonishing that people are already on the back of a player who has literally just joined, and we're only a handful of games in the season.

If he'd score two and we'd played 23 games, then I'd probably accept the criticism levelled.... but we aren't.

Of course, they'll disagree with my opinion, given that I haven't had the long storied league playing career of Warfey and Co.

#59 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2023 - 09:26 PM

I think that colclough is class,he makes me want to turn up and watch town,he is that type of player,there are other types of players as well that warrant huge respect like Mandy who just gives everything on the pitch and Jones whose experience and calmness is vital a real unsung hero,I'm also going to praise another player who although I think has had a few indifferent games he epitomizes the Mr Chesterfield approach and its Grimes ,he had some serious rollockings off Jones today but he is blue and white through and through and won every header until the 80 minute mark....regarding colclough I think he could be the nearest thing to jack Lester we have ever had,I think he could be a centre forward in the making,id give him a chance ,interesting today that dobra can play right side he destroyed their defence round the outside today,id love to see berry left Dobra right mandy or jacobs as a 9 and colclough up top

#60 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2023 - 09:30 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 28 August 2023 - 07:40 PM, said:

Rather embarrassing and shameful that a thread has been created to berate, belittle a player to be fair.
Just because he hasn’t scored 30 goals by now..FFS!
Give him time to adjust to the league…once he gets going I’m sure he’ll be the predator he has been known as

Give him time to adjust to a league 3 levels below,he is an international capped player,you give players time to adjust to higher standards not vice versa

Share this topic:

• (22 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users