Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: New Contracts For Next Season - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Contracts For Next Season

#101 User is offline   Jbspire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 15 April 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

I heard we paid absolutely nothing for Coops, other than Hull have first refusal on one of our players.

Which player?

#102 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

I seem to remember it being mentioned as us paying a substantial fee, in our terms, for Cooper.

Edit..
Doing a search it appears it may not be a big fee i was thinking of more that he's on a decent wage looking at this post i found by searching :-

View Postphiltooleycfss, on 21 January 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Cooper is on very good money. It's been suggested to me that Richards, Lee and Cooper will be three of the best paid players in League Two, possibly the best paid three!

Phil

This post has been edited by JonB: 15 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

#103 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

View Poststarsky72, on 15 April 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

I agree, it's the number of established League 1 clubs with decent fan bases that are relatively close to us that will help with the averages.

Agreed. Look at the following sides - these will bring close to 2000 away fans each Millers, Preston, Blunts, Coventry, Notts County and Barnsley

Then add Oldham and Bradford who will do 2000 between them easily - Thats 14,000 away fans from just8 games!!!

The rest would average 500 or so between them I guess.

So you can reckon on 20,0000+ away fans over the season, or close to 1000 a game. What was the average away gate this season? 500?

Thats a big difference to this seasons away support. The bigger games will also attract more floating home fans, so is 7000 average so far fetched?

I`m not so sure it is chaps.
A new hope.

#104 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostHector, on 15 April 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Correct. The playing budget will be set based on the expected revenue through the turnstiles and kiosks. The income from the non-playing streams, including concerts etc., will pay of the interest and loans respectively. Sounds like a club set-up to live within its means which I applaud.

Yep, its no bad thing to aim for consolidatiob for a year or two, reduce the debts and then look at where we are.
A new hope.

#105 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 15 April 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

Tommy's injury put the kybosh on that whole league season. Fleming inspired no confidence in his defence and Soderberg..... the less said, the better. A half-decent replacement would have probably helped avoid the poor streak we went on from Charlton (Tommy's first game out, I think?) onwards. Fair point but 3-4 points is a conservative estimate in my view.

Mendy was mercurial and sometimes showed talent but was totally the wrong man for a relegation scrap, which is another good example of where Shezza's planning seemed not to have been the most soberly considered.

Mendy was pants. He was offside so often it was untrue, and hadnt a clue where either his teamates or his own position were
A new hope.

#106 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

View Postdeath, on 15 April 2014 - 04:49 PM, said:

Agreed. Look at the following sides - these will bring close to 2000 away fans each Millers, Preston, Blunts, Coventry, Notts County and Barnsley

Then add Oldham and Bradford who will do 2000 between them easily - Thats 14,000 away fans from just8 games!!!

The rest would average 500 or so between them I guess.

So you can reckon on 20,0000+ away fans over the season, or close to 1000 a game. What was the average away gate this season? 500?

Thats a big difference to this seasons away support. The bigger games will also attract more floating home fans, so is 7000 average so far fetched?

I`m not so sure it is chaps.

7000 is perfectly achievable as long as we don't do what we did last time and make a pig's ear of it.

#107 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

7000 is perfectly achievable as long as we don't do what we did last time and make a pig's ear of it.

Yep, stay out of the bottom 5 or 6 and gates will be fine. Our defence is preety sound, and robust enough to get some reulsts.

I dont think anyone will be getting carried away and expecting a play off push.
A new hope.

#108 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

View PostBodieUK, on 14 April 2014 - 09:44 AM, said:

Smith - Far too injury prone. Great talent but made of glass...No contract

Hird - can cover numerous positions comfortably, would make a useful squad player...1 year deal

Togwell - great attitude and decent defensive midfielder, obviously not in Cook's plans...No contract

O'Shea - creativity + goals in the final 3rd...Absolutely must give him another year

Richards - Hasn't worked out for him here. Whilst I admire a lot of what he does, he's far too inconsistent for me (suppose this isn't helped by not having a run in the side) ...No contract

Devitt - Can't really comment due to his very few appearances for us but from what I have seen, nothing to get too excited about really, yet I would have liked to have seen him get more of a chance. No contract

Brown - solid performances when called upon, also not really given a good run in the side. Cook obviously isn't a fan...No contract

Humphreys - experienced pro with valuable knowledge of the lower divisions. Can still put a shift in but certainly wouldn't be in a L1 starting XI. Possibly a 1 year deal in a player-coach role would be appropriate?

Hard to argue with any of that, but I doubt Hird will be here next season. If he is offered terms IMO they would significantly reduced, and the likes of Barnsley, Rotherham, Blunts may well look at him and offer far more than we will.

If rumours about the budget are true, PC will be looking to use the wages of the "sheridan 4" elsewhere, and perhaps a little more wisely.
A new hope.

#109 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

DA was hoping to get a regular 7000 home fans (and increased away support on top) at the shareholders meeting.

Consolidating in the division above will draw in an average of 5000-5500 home fans

We need to be in the playoff positions to get anywhere near that 7000 home fans figure
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#110 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

View Postazul, on 15 April 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

DA was hoping to get a regular 7000 home fans (and increased away support on top) at the shareholders meeting.

Consolidating in the division above will draw in an average of 5000-5500 home fans

We need to be in the playoff positions to get anywhere near that 7000 home fans figure

We'd need to have a season like Rotherham have to get to an average of 7,000 home fans. An overall average of 7,000 should just require sensible consolidation and entertaining football. The average number of away fans should rise by several hundred.

#111 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

View Postazul, on 15 April 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

Was it 7000 home fans or 7000 in total?

using your figure of 5500, then some big away gates, It wont be that far off 7000.
A new hope.

#112 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

View Postdeath, on 15 April 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Was it 7000 home fans or 7000 in total?

using your figure of 5500, then some big away gates, It wont be that far off 7000.

I searched back for the post meeting threads and there was reference to 7000 home fans plus away

In also remember DA saying it at the time but cant remember whether it was an expectation or an aspiration.

I agree that some games will be 7000+ but others will be much less if we are in treading water in mid table.

Incidentally, if the wage bill is based on attendances as someone suggested earlier and they budget for 7000 and IF they allocate the lot to the playing side, that is getting on for £2M (7000 x 23 x12), that sounds ok

#113 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

View Postazul, on 15 April 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

I searched back for the post meeting threads and there was reference to 7000 home fans plus away

In also remember DA saying it at the time but cant remember whether it was an expectation or an aspiration.

I agree that some games will be 7000+ but others will be much less if we are in treading water in mid table.

Incidentally, if the wage bill is based on attendances as someone suggested earlier and they budget for 7000 and IF they allocate the lot to the playing side, that is getting on for £2M (7000 x 23 x12), that sounds ok

I would guess at 6k home average plus away fans on the basis we have a steady but unspectacular season

#114 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 15 April 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

I would guess at 6k home average plus away fans on the basis we have a steady but unspectacular season

We averaged over 6,500 I our last season in L1, which was largely a relegation scrap.

Giventhe additional localish sides likely to be in L1 next season, 7k average seems easily achievable providing we're not in a relegation scrap again.

#115 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 15 April 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

We averaged over 6,500 I our last season in L1, which was largely a relegation scrap.

Giventhe additional localish sides likely to be in L1 next season, 7k average seems easily achievable providing we're not in a relegation scrap again.

How does this season's average compare to the season we went up under Sheridan? The following season in L1 we had momentum which Sheridan unforgivably smashed. Some of those "new" fans from a couple of years back must have been disillusioned by that and may be sceptical about what is to unfold when we are back in L1. Local derbies and bigger clubs will boost the average of course. Key words for me are momentum and investment. There must be no failure next season. I am not saying an all-out Rotherhamesque splurge is required but the club must be seen to be ambitious and, to an extent, speculating to accumulate. Much will depend of course on Cook's wheeler-dealing this summer.

#116 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 15 April 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

How does this season's average compare to the season we went up under Sheridan? The following season in L1 we had momentum which Sheridan unforgivably smashed. Some of those "new" fans from a couple of years back must have been disillusioned by that and may be sceptical about what is to unfold when we are back in L1. Local derbies and bigger clubs will boost the average of course. Key words for me are momentum and investment. There must be no failure next season. I am not saying an all-out Rotherhamesque splurge is required but the club must be seen to be ambitious and, to an extent, speculating to accumulate. Much will depend of course on Cook's wheeler-dealing this summer.

It's lower but then you'd expect that given that we're comparing with the first season in the new ground.

#117 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 April 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

It's lower but then you'd expect that given that we're comparing with the first season in the new ground.

Doesn't really explain why almost 8300 turned up to see us against Macclesfield that year and only 5600 turned up against Newport for the corresponding fixture this year.

Attendance's should've taken off by now, will we get 7000 on Friday?

#118 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

With regard to attendances, while we will all be elated to get promoted, the simple fact is that the club will just be at the level it was at 2 years ago. We went up, we went down, we went up again. The big issue imo is where we go from there; how the refreshed momentum is harnessed and how the club invests in the team this summer and beyond.

This post has been edited by Spire-Power: 15 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

#119 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postazul, on 15 April 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

depends how turnstile income is broken down.

Does that include concourse sales on matchdays? I rememeber a club employee saying that in the first season concourse sales brought in a similar amount of revenue to the turnstile income at saltergate!!

What is included in the budget? Manager/coaches/physio?, non playing/admin staff?

7000 home fans as an average is unrealistc unless we are pushing the upper end of L1 and winning a lot of home matches. we have drawn fgar too many at home so crowds are lower.
A new hope.

#120 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

I rememeber a club employee saying that in the first season concourse sales brought in a similar amount of revenue to the turnstile income at saltergate!!

Erm... I find that a little hard to believe.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users