Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: As this is the last ever season here - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

As this is the last ever season here What memories will you take away from saltergate?

#21 User is offline   S18Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

View Postdmb1978, on Nov 27 2009, 01:57 PM, said:

Also just remembered the time when we played hereford and the truly alfull performance by andy d'urso who somehow went on to be a premier league official especially after already sending one of our players off he sent hewitt giving him his second yellow card for mearly tripping over the ball to give it back. The he gave them a penalty when darren carr slid in with a challenge that was outside the box and when they skied it over the bar and the kop just cheered like mad, think it was in the green un that the put we reacted like we'd just won the cup game.

In a funny way that was one of my favourite games…Nozzer scored the winner and the usually awful Fairclough had an absolute stormer

I’ve been smiling at people slating D’Urso ever since and I, for one, enjoyed Man U going crazy at him
flat-pack my ar se

#22 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

remember the game V hull when Fred the ref gave us a free kick the Kop celebrated like we'd won the FA cup hilarious :rolleyes:
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#23 User is offline   Pride of the North 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

View Postash_cfc, on Nov 27 2009, 11:00 AM, said:

Glynn Hurst against Luton to keep up us..spark manic scenese! Thats a fond one in my memory! Beating QPR 4-2 (might have been same season) Those are recent memories.

2003/4 great game against Luton on the last day
JOHN SHERIDAN'S BARMY ARMY

#24 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

A mate of mine went to get a pie from the Pop Side / Kop corner tea bar, where the old ladies with the poodle (or old lady with the poodles) used to stand. He came all the way back along the Pop Side to our usual spot, by the Cross St penalty area line. One bite - stone cold, the pie, so he took it all the way back back and came all the way back again with another. One bite, he burnt the roof of his mouth away and dropped the steaming pie on the floor. From the times when that sort of thing was more entertaining than the football.

What game was it, mid-late 90s, whene an opposing fan tried to run from a copper, and casually legged it over the low (from his side!! :lol: ) Cross Street wall?

Did anyone ever take any photos of people queuing for cup tickets?

This post has been edited by Stuart Basson: 27 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   dazatarnlad 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Perkins scoring the penalty against forest when Mark crossley got sent off !! :lol:

#26 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

View Postdazatarnlad, on Nov 27 2009, 05:25 PM, said:

Perkins scoring the penalty against forest when Mark crossley got sent off !! :lol:

You mean Curtis

#27 User is offline   dazatarnlad 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:46 PM

View Postmoondog, on Nov 27 2009, 05:43 PM, said:

You mean Curtis

Yes you would be correct my bad !!!!!

#28 User is online   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

far too many to list all but just a few

beating rangers,was stood in enclosure ( only a nipper at time)

pen shoot-out against middlesborough, in front of kop

hursty against luton and that goal

nivo`s screamer against city

play-off semi against scum

i could go on and on,

oh no its happening isn`t it, and its getting closer, VALIUM PLEASE DOC :lol: :blush:
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#29 User is offline   Pride of the North 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on Nov 27 2009, 05:50 PM, said:

far too many to list all but just a few

beating rangers,was stood in enclosure ( only a nipper at time)

pen shoot-out against middlesborough, in front of kop

hursty against luton and that goal

nivo`s screamer against city

play-off semi against scum

i could go on and on,

oh no its happening isn`t it, and its getting closer, VALIUM PLEASE DOC :blush: :lol:

:lol:
JOHN SHERIDAN'S BARMY ARMY

#30 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

The exchanging of meatpies accross nomans land between us and the Burnley fans on Compton in the early 80's

*Penalties v Rangers

The Brighton invasion last match of the season some time in the 80's

Arthur Cox era

Forest fa cup 97

Danny Wilson, Allan Birch, & Phil Bonneyman... The Holy Trinity!

*Sorry v Boro

This post has been edited by djs: 27 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

#31 User is offline   Gazza 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Me & my Dad in the enclosure, long time ago and still miss him but certainly got a lot to thank him for. Wish he could have seen some of the highs that I have.

#32 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

Wrexham home for the best atmosphere at Saltergate.

Forest at home in the FA Cup

Beating Man City and West Ham in the Carling Cup

Mansfield 5-2 and 4-0

Beating Sheffield United in the late 80's

Only losing on pens to Joe Cole, Di Canio, Carrick and co. at West Ham (sublime pass by allott for a great Brandon finish around David James to boot!)

General memories.

Migrating to the Compton Street. Saltergate hasn't been the same since.

The sounds from the main stand/family stand as a young un....e.g.."Youuu can do it Rooyyy" The banging on the floor with your feet when town got a corner as the main stand stirred.

The smell of bovril. And urine.

Being a ballboy against Aldershot and Maidstone in late 80's/early 90's.

Collecting an award (can't remember) to do with junior football from John Lukic at half time in an england under 15's game

When Reeves scored 4 vs Cambridge (including a superb flick up volley from a free kick)

When Kevin Davies started playing for town

Tony Lormor and Phil Robinson when they played out of their skin to take us up

The players fight on the pitch vs Plymouth

...and many...MANY...more.

#33 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

View Postash_cfc, on Nov 27 2009, 11:00 AM, said:

Glynn Hurst against Luton to keep up us..spark manic scenese! Thats a fond one in my memory! Beating QPR 4-2 (might have been same season) Those are recent memories.

Never been to a game at saltergate with such a charged atmosphere, before and after the goal.
A new hope.

#34 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

cant believe no one hasnt mentioned ASWAD on a wet friday night in front of 500! :lol:
Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

View PostSpired, on Nov 27 2009, 07:43 PM, said:

The sounds from the main stand/family stand as a young un....e.g.."Youuu can do it Rooyyy" The banging on the floor with your feet when town got a corner as the main stand stirred.

remember Lee Rogers shouting back "I've done it" the game after his only goal for Town at Lincoln

memories wise obviously 95 play off vs Scabs, Hursts goal vs Luton, Beaumont's vs Wrexham and beating Forest

other than that, John Muir breaking Nigel Hart's nose and getting himself sent off (letting Muir hit him was best thing Hart did in a CFC shirt), Warren Hawke's run from the half way line goal, Turnbull's overhead kick vs Macclesfield in another cup defeat, Bryn Gunn's own goal (lobbing the keeper from 20 yards) and Tricky Trev putting us 1-0 up (and 5-4 up on aggregate) vs the Red Scousers

#36 User is offline   coneyblue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Work<br />Houses<br />Cars<br />CFC<br />Cinema<br />Eating Out

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

Quite a few to mention:-

Grimsby, Stockport and Sheff U under Harty.

The Cup run under John Duncan.

Mansfield Play Off Semi.

Last game of the season against Luton.

League Cup run under Macca.

No doubt loads more that I've missed.

#37 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

The match against Plymouth I think Grobbelar in nets and the wonderful fight that ensued. What was the total sent off? Was it 5?

The Carlislle game when we needed a draw to win promotion automatically a certain Mr Reeves denied us. A ticket farce by the club 1000's locked outside. Me on the inside oif the turnstyle and my son who was a ST holder on the outside when the guy told me the ground was full and he couldn't come in
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#38 User is offline   gloucestershireblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

First visit in 1978, stood on a packed enclosure, can't remember the game though.

Arthur Cox era, Birch and Bonneyman.

Playing on the hallowed turf a couple of times.

Walking from kop to compton.

Lots of games in first play off season, especially demolishing Stockport.

Last game against Grimsby and the fighting at the end. Remember seeing a Grimsby fan floored by a pie that was thrown straight in the face! Also the town fan with the big hair ripping the corner flag out and attacking about three Grimsby fans!!

Corners at Kop end- 'Ernie , ernie, ernieee'

Seeing Jim Brown score.

A pie and a bovril.

Play-offs against Mansfield.

FA cup run!

Demolishing Preston during Duncan era and watching their fans whilst the Kop sang- 'All quiet on the Preston front!' They were quite impressed!

Beating united and then getting chased all the way down to Queen's park.

Half time sanwiches in the 'Exec club' for a few seasons.

Reminiscing on the Kop this season against Notts County.

Calvin Plummer goals, Warren Hawke's solo effort, Ooh Waller Waller, Sean O'neill shuffle, Lee Rogers' dummies whilst clearing........ and many many more!

#39 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

I first came to the Rec in 1972. My Grandfather, George “Jud” Whiteley, organised the programme sellers well before we had a commercial department. He brought me and the first match I recall is a 2-2 draw against Tranmere. The image I have is of all the cigarette smoke and mist in the evening air.

Although I don’t have any memories about this I guess we must have arrived early. I have vague recollection of climbing under or over a barrier as part of the entry routine. The programme selling was organised out of one of the rooms under the main stand, possibly where the St John sign is now. I do remember boxes of programmes in there and a wooden table with mounds of money.

I was handed ten programmes and sent to the bottom of the Wing Stand steps; you could transfer from the Kop in those days through the turnstiles. When I had sold my ten programmes at 5p each I took the fifty pence back to my Granddad and went through the doors where the police control room is now to stand on the enclosure to watch the match.

On one occasion I remember that area being full of Aston Villa fans laughing about how bad we were. A few minutes into the second-half Granddad Pop joined me and we would watch until about ten minutes from the end. We then walked back to his car which was parked at the Chest Clinic, we listened to the crowd noises on the way back.

I got the impression that when a formal commercial arm was established my Grandfather was shown the door. I don’t think he ever went back as a paying customer and that he was a little bitter about it. I am certain that despite the piles of programmes he never owned any. I only got a copy of the Tranmere one a few years ago. I moved onto the Kop in the mid 70s and still stand there.
Peter Whiteley

#40 User is offline   coneyblue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Work<br />Houses<br />Cars<br />CFC<br />Cinema<br />Eating Out

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

View Postdalekpete, on Nov 27 2009, 10:33 PM, said:

I first came to the Rec in 1972. My Grandfather, George “Jud” Whiteley, organised the programme sellers well before we had a commercial department. He brought me and the first match I recall is a 2-2 draw against Tranmere. The image I have is of all the cigarette smoke and mist in the evening air.

Although I don’t have any memories about this I guess we must have arrived early. I have vague recollection of climbing under or over a barrier as part of the entry routine. The programme selling was organised out of one of the rooms under the main stand, possibly where the St John sign is now. I do remember boxes of programmes in there and a wooden table with mounds of money.

I was handed ten programmes and sent to the bottom of the Wing Stand steps; you could transfer from the Kop in those days through the turnstiles. When I had sold my ten programmes at 5p each I took the fifty pence back to my Granddad and went through the doors where the police control room is now to stand on the enclosure to watch the match.

On one occasion I remember that area being full of Aston Villa fans laughing about how bad we were. A few minutes into the second-half Granddad Pop joined me and we would watch until about ten minutes from the end. We then walked back to his car which was parked at the Chest Clinic, we listened to the crowd noises on the way back.

I got the impression that when a formal commercial arm was established my Grandfather was shown the door. I don’t think he ever went back as a paying customer and that he was a little bitter about it. I am certain that despite the piles of programmes he never owned any. I only got a copy of the Tranmere one a few years ago. I moved onto the Kop in the mid 70s and still stand there.

A good read, did you have a crate to stand on?

View Postdalekpete, on Nov 27 2009, 10:33 PM, said:

Would that have been the turnstile? :unsure:

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users