• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anfield Memories

#1 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

I want everyones memories of the night twenty-years ago when we went to Liverpool. Whether it is recollections of the trip itself or how you followed the match or got the news. We want you at the Proact Stadium to celebrate that humiliation of James,Wright, Molby, Redknapp and the others.

"How many teams take a 3-0 lead at Anfield and put four goals past Liverpool? That was the feat achieved by the Spireites twenty years ago. To celebrate this game the Chesterfield FC Community Trust has invited the players involved to a special evening at the Proact Stadium. Fans are also invited to this free event.

The second round League Cup game finished 4-4 with Steve Norris and Dave Lancaster getting a brace apiece for Chesterfield. Both of the strikers have confirmed they will be there to celebrate the match with many of their team-mates. It was Dave who quipped at the time, “We thought there’d be eight goals in it, but we didn’t think we’d get four of them!”

As well as footage of the match and the player memories there will be a chance for fans to tell what the night was like for them. More than 5000 Spireites made the trip and it is hoped there are some stories about that night in 1992. This evening of recollections is part of a new Heritage Project by the Community Trust linked to the After Time Project. Full details of future events will be available on the night.

The special event is on Monday 24 September at 7.30pm. Entry is free but a ticket must be obtained in advance. These are available from the Club shop. More details are available from the Community Trust."
Peter Whiteley

#2 User is offline   Radders 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

View Postdalekpete, on 16 August 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

I want everyones memories of the night twenty-years ago when we went to Liverpool. Whether it is recollections of the trip itself or how you followed the match or got the news. We want you at the Proact Stadium to celebrate that humiliation of James,Wright, Molby, Redknapp and the others.

Attachment steve norris 3.jpg

"How many teams take a 3-0 lead at Anfield and put four goals past Liverpool? That was the feat achieved by the Spireites twenty years ago. To celebrate this game the Chesterfield FC Community Trust has invited the players involved to a special evening at the Proact Stadium. Fans are also invited to this free event.

The second round League Cup game finished 4-4 with Steve Norris and Dave Lancaster getting a brace apiece for Chesterfield. Both of the strikers have confirmed they will be there to celebrate the match with many of their team-mates. It was Dave who quipped at the time, “We thought there’d be eight goals in it, but we didn’t think we’d get four of them!”

As well as footage of the match and the player memories there will be a chance for fans to tell what the night was like for them. More than 5000 Spireites made the trip and it is hoped there are some stories about that night in 1992. This evening of recollections is part of a new Heritage Project by the Community Trust linked to the After Time Project. Full details of future events will be available on the night.

The special event is on Monday 24 September at 7.30pm. Entry is free but a ticket must be obtained in advance. These are available from the Club shop. More details are available from the Community Trust."

Count me in. I remember a lad coming up to me at half time, looking very bemused, with a huge grin on his face and saying, "Is this real?" I had to snigger

#3 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

I remember the coach getting us late and dropping us off somewhere around Anfield. There were loads of scally kids on cobbled streets and it was like something out of Victorian times.

They were pointing us in the wrong direction even though it was plainly obvious where the ground was due to the large stands drenched in light from the flood lights. They had about 2 turnstiles open and we got in way after the first goal.

I've never liked Liverpool since and I'd be happy if they carpet bombed the place.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#4 User is offline   pfirsich 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Great game - they dropped Mark Wright afterwards. Souness said he played a weakened team -I think only 8 internationals.

#5 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

Seriously? My "Lucky" 4-4 t-shirt is nearly old enough to buy beer in the USA?

That match was my decision maker, despite being a town season ticket holder for years, I was initially a liverpool fan (thanks to my mum), I went that night not quite knowing who to support. By the end of the match, it was no-contest!
I was at chesterfield college at the time and had an exam that was due to start at 4pm, but they let me sit it early so i could catch the bus and wouldn't miss the 'once-in-a-lifetime' match.

As for the game, I remember Liverpool stuck some battleship of a reserve team defender in the team, i guess to stop morris and lancaster, but seemingly forgetting that nozzer could run rings around them. It was also the first time i had one of those time slowing down moments, for Lancaster's goal at our end he gets the ball and jinks left, right,left and slots it to the right, on the video (which i still have) he just gets the ball and bangs it home.

But the odd memory was getting back on the bus and listening to the radio to stuart hall wax lyrical for what seemed like hours about the performance we had just witnessed. Then it was real. If you can find a tape of that, that would be fantastic. The radio were also running a competition for people to win tickets to see us at our next game at somewhere like colchester or gillingham, where, i think, we promptly got stuffed. back to normal.

#6 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostDenny, on 17 August 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

That match was my decision maker, despite being a town season ticket holder for years, I was initially a liverpool fan (thanks to my mum), I went that night not quite knowing who to support. By the end of the match, it was no-contest!
I was at chesterfield college at the time and had an exam that was due to start at 4pm, but they let me sit it early so i could catch the bus and wouldn't miss the 'once-in-a-lifetime' match.

As for the game, I remember Liverpool stuck some battleship of a reserve team defender in the team, i guess to stop morris and lancaster, but seemingly forgetting that nozzer could run rings around them. It was also the first time i had one of those time slowing down moments, for Lancaster's goal at our end he gets the ball and jinks left, right,left and slots it to the right, on the video (which i still have) he just gets the ball and bangs it home.

But the odd memory was getting back on the bus and listening to the radio to stuart hall wax lyrical for what seemed like hours about the performance we had just witnessed. Then it was real. If you can find a tape of that, that would be fantastic. The radio were also running a competition for people to win tickets to see us at our next game at somewhere like colchester or gillingham, where, i think, we promptly got stuffed. back to normal.

Yep lost 2-0, where I think the coach was late, stuck in traffic, and the players were forced to get changed on the coach.

#7 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Does someone have a copy of Stuart Hall's post match review? Was brilliant- along the lines of "the gladiators entered the colosseum, chests puffed out like peacocks with spires on their breast, these blue heroes.......etc etc"

Brought a lump to the throat of all of us travelling home after

#8 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

View PostSpire Writer, on 17 August 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Yep lost 2-0, where I think the coach was late, stuck in traffic, and the players were forced to get changed on the coach.

Away at Colchester- bizarrely the Sun sponsored the game - the editor was guest of honour and the ball was delivered to the pitch by parachutists from a helicopter!

#9 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

I remember it as if it was yesterday.

I was on a course in Sennelager and watched the whole match unfold on CEEFAX. Next morning I went straight down to the Sally Bash and bought every newspaper, I still have the cuttings..

#10 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostMark Jones, on 17 August 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

I remember it as if it was yesterday.

I was on a course in Sennelager and watched the whole match unfold on CEEFAX. Next morning I went straight down to the Sally Bash and bought every newspaper, I still have the cuttings..

SHAME OF SOUNESS!

THE REAL STING!

I was a paper lad at the time and I think it was the longest time ever it took me to do my round that day after.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#11 User is offline   sportstait 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

I was living in Canada at the time and it made the sports news there - and on the TV (TSN)Saturday morning live football show - it was covered there too.

Made me very proud to be a Spireite.

I got the video sent over and had to get it converted to North American format. They guy at the video store watched it and then started to look for our scores in the Canadian Sunday papers - superb!

#12 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

I had spent the six months from April working in the Jura Mountains for Eurocamp... the match was the day before I was leaving to come home. unfortunately my journey was ridiculous.. Bescancon to Paris.. Paris to cherbourg.. cherbourg to Portsmouth.. Portsmouth to London..London to Newark... well over 24 hours..

If memory serves me right, after 6 months away from home, I literally had time to have a shower and a change of clothes, before heading to Anfield...
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Rodney's Moustache 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostDenny, on 17 August 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Torben(sandwhich short of a) Piechnic if my memory serves me right. Best player for Liverpool was a winger called Istvan Kozma.I was working at Dema glass at the time on afters that day but managed to get someone to come in early for me.

This post has been edited by Rodney's Moustache: 17 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

#14 User is offline   Spire Power 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on 17 August 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

I remember the coach getting us late and dropping us off somewhere around Anfield. There were loads of scally kids on cobbled streets and it was like something out of Victorian times.

They were pointing us in the wrong direction
even though it was plainly obvious where the ground was due to the large stands drenched in light from the flood lights. They had about 2 turnstiles open and we got in way after the first goal.

I've never liked Liverpool since and I'd be happy if they carpet bombed the place.

On our previous visit some fans were surrounded and had to hand over their trainers. It probably couldn't happen in any other city. Nice people, great sense of humour, allegedly.

#15 User is offline   oh rodney rodney 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:heavy rock/metal classic rock, having a gargle + CHESTERFIELD + EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUBS

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostSpire Power, on 18 August 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

On our previous visit some fans were surrounded and had to hand over their trainers. It probably couldn't happen in any other city. Nice people, great sense of humour, allegedly.

yes got very naughty that nite inside + outside the ground walking back to the buses did it kick off the [ friendly ] reds shown no mercy to anybody in blue hate them with a passion :angry
FROM THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF SALTERGATE,

#16 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postoh rodney rodney, on 20 August 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

yes got very naughty that nite inside + outside the ground walking back to the buses did it kick off the [ friendly ] reds shown no mercy to anybody in blue hate them with a passion :angry

in fairness the blue half is just as wretched. horrible horrible place.
town fan wasnt far off with his opinion.

#17 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

was a great night, still have the video

was only young (well 13) remember the pound to mind your car kids when my dad had parked up near the stadium, then just thinking we'd get hammered, then not realising what was going on at 3-0 up, then hoping for a famous victory and then Istvan Kozma who was useless in the top flight coming on and destroying Cliff Carr!

and who thought we were going to go through when Trevor Hebberd scored early in the 2nd leg?

#18 User is offline   Steak pie please 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

My dad wouldn't let me go but went himself on a coach with a few mates. Turned out to be a memorable trip, I so wish I was a few years older at the time!

The coach was knackered from the start and kept stalling every time it stopped, so the driver had to time his run ups to traffic lights so he could keep rolling. Got to the ground a few minutes late and watched 'the match of a lifetime'. Coming home from the match a brick got thrown through the window may dad was sat at, so he had to sit in the aisle. Then on the motorway the coach hit a stray horse that had wandered onto the road. They had to wait while the police and a vet came, only to discover that the bus then wouldn't start!
Out of all that lot, the 4-4 is still the most unbelievable thing that happened.

#19 User is online   RN Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC... oh and the wife and kids.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

I was in HMS Sultan and couldn't get the time off to come back up for the game. I remember like a previous poster continually updating CEEFAX whilst I was ironing my uniform and couldn't believe what I was seeing unfold.

Absolutely gutted that I couldn’t have been there, fast forward to the present day and in all likelihood it would have been a televised match, say what you like about how the TV dictating to clubs when they play etc is ruining the game, you have to admit coverage these days is a million miles from where it used to be.

#20 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Just to confirm that the tickets are now in the Club shop- they are free but restricted to four per person.
Peter Whiteley

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users