Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: We are a very,very good side! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

We are a very,very good side!

#21 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

View Posthopesprings, on Sep 13 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

Terry Harris, Dagenham and Redbridge assistant manager told BBC Essex:

"They were a very very good side and they gave it their best shot. They were one of the best sides to have come here (Victoria Road).

"Fantastic goal from Paul Benson and I'd like to be able to say we've been working on it in training, but fantastic technique from Paul.

"All credit to Chesterfield they gave it their all."

So by that rationale, D&R are a very, very, very good side?

Sorry don't see it, if they get promoted to League One, they'll do well to keep their best players, then we'll see where they are. It's very easy to be magnificent in victory, too so their boss is just being easily gracious; if he thinks the Spireites are a wonderful team, then he's in for fun and games if they ever come up against Leeds or Charlton... :unsure:

Baz
God is not obliged to keep the promises of mankind

#22 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

View PostEddie63, on Sep 14 2009, 04:28 PM, said:

well thats ok then because looking at the league table their are more teams that are better than us than the number of teams who are worse than us.....lol

By that same logic we'll eventually get worse again as soon as we climb the table. :rolleyes:
If only....

#23 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

View PostBrimington Barry, on Sep 14 2009, 08:16 PM, said:

So by that rationale, D&R are a very, very, very good side?

Sorry don't see it, if they get promoted to League One, they'll do well to keep their best players, then we'll see where they are. It's very easy to be magnificent in victory, too so their boss is just being easily gracious; if he thinks the Spireites are a wonderful team, then he's in for fun and games if they ever come up against Leeds or Charlton... :rolleyes:

Baz

Sounds a little similar to what happened in the summer, losing many of their best players doesn't seem to have affected them one bit. They played Leicester in the 2nd round of the FA cup last season, although the went on to lose 3-2 they were 2-1 up after 25 minutes.

#24 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

View PostBlueprint, on Sep 14 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

Sounds a little similar to what happened in the summer, losing many of their best players doesn't seem to have affected them one bit. They played Leicester in the 2nd round of the FA cup last season, although the went on to lose 3-2 they were 2-1 up after 25 minutes.

I didn't know they'd lost so much talent over the Summer, so I'll factor that into my comments by saying that League One contains teams wirth genuine Championship potential/credentials, eg:-

Leeds
Charlton
Milton Keynes

plus teams quite capable (in theory as we stand maybe) of mounting a late challenge for the mix, eg:-

Norwich (theoretically)
Southend (feasibly - didn't they launch a late charge last season?)
Colchester (in 7th)
Gillingham (in 8th)

There are other league 1 teams, much better than them at present too.

I'm sure you'll agree, that these clubs symbolise a different proposition to the Torquays of this world. I'm looking at the tables on SKYTEXT and IMHO D&R would be where Leyton Orient currently are (19th). The cup performance you mention is indeed creditable, but it's the league that most teams focus on.

Baz

#25 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

And i'm sure Dagenham and Redbridge with their band of less than 1800 fans would be ecstatic with a finish of 19th in their first season in the third tier.

Consider that while we were having our annual battle with relegation in that tier Colchester were the only club with lower support than ourselves in the division and although the season we got relegated they were playing in tier 2 this was the first time they had done so in their history having been in the 3rd 4th tier and non league all in the last 20 years.

Until Col U got promoted to the championship 4 seasons ago their record fee paid for a player was £50,000 for a certain Neil Gregory in 1998, the same year we paid 5 times that amount for Jason Lee

Then there's the success that Wimbledon had before they became MK Dons, non league to top tier before slowly heading back down again. D&R are doing extremely well in the league, better than probably anyone would expect it's hard to see when their buble will burst, doesn't look like it's going to happen while ever their manager is still.

#26 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

As soon as I saw what team he'd selected on Saturday I knew Sherri was on a loser. Why drop our best fullback in Picken?No big man up front and players played out of position, Ricco's tactics coming back to haunt us.
lindave

#27 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

View PostBlueprint, on Sep 14 2009, 11:10 PM, said:

And i'm sure Dagenham and Redbridge with their band of less than 1800 fans would be ecstatic with a finish of 19th in their first season in the third tier.

Consider that while we were having our annual battle with relegation in that tier Colchester were the only club with lower support than ourselves in the division and although the season we got relegated they were playing in tier 2 this was the first time they had done so in their history having been in the 3rd 4th tier and non league all in the last 20 years.

Until Col U got promoted to the championship 4 seasons ago their record fee paid for a player was £50,000 for a certain Neil Gregory in 1998, the same year we paid 5 times that amount for Jason Lee

Then there's the success that Wimbledon had before they became MK Dons, non league to top tier before slowly heading back down again. D&R are doing extremely well in the league, better than probably anyone would expect it's hard to see when their buble will burst, doesn't look like it's going to happen while ever their manager is still.

Oh I'm not dismissing previously non-league teams completely, the achievement of Yeovil is one example; as is Wigan Athletic and they're in the rarified heights of the sport, having left the non-league scene in 1978; my point is that D&R can't be classified as an outstanding team because they're currently 2nd in the basement of the Football League. If they go up and consolidate/improve that position consistently, I'll revise my opinion of them, but that will take money - do they have it/enough of it, were they to sell their best players? The year Swansea got promoted from L1, their wage bill was frightening and way beyond The Daggers, unless the age of miracles is still with us.

I'd love them to do well, I was born a few miles from their ground, but good managers still need money to work with.

Baz

#28 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

The year Colchester got promoted to the championship they had the attendances in the championship - prior to going up they were the only team with lower attendances than us, they aren't a club that are known to have a wealthy chairman as far as i'm aware, but they have recently moved into a new 10,000 seater stadium! There was talk of them getting promoted to the Premier league in there first season in the 2nd flight, with a final league position of a very respectable 10th.

D&R weren't that far off the pace last season finishing 8th and losing out on a play off place on the last day of the season, Saunders, Strevens, Okuonghae and Danny Foster were instrumental in their tremendous challeange last season (considering their finances) and all are now playing at a higher level, Soloman Taiwo was also, he's just moved to Cardiff for £200,000, daggers record fee, despite losing 5 of their key players last season John Still's wheeling and dealing in non league quality looks to have paid off once again, early days but with 4 straight home wins so far and 15 goals scored at home it looks like they are in for another great season.

#29 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

View PostBlueprint, on Sep 15 2009, 12:34 AM, said:

The year Colchester got promoted to the championship they had the attendances in the championship - prior to going up they were the only team with lower attendances than us, they aren't a club that are known to have a wealthy chairman as far as i'm aware, but they have recently moved into a new 10,000 seater stadium! There was talk of them getting promoted to the Premier league in there first season in the 2nd flight, with a final league position of a very respectable 10th.

D&R weren't that far off the pace last season finishing 8th and losing out on a play off place on the last day of the season, Saunders, Strevens, Okuonghae and Danny Foster were instrumental in their tremendous challeange last season (considering their finances) and all are now playing at a higher level, Soloman Taiwo was also, he's just moved to Cardiff for £200,000, daggers record fee, despite losing 5 of their key players last season John Still's wheeling and dealing in non league quality looks to have paid off once again, early days but with 4 straight home wins so far and 15 goals scored at home it looks like they are in for another great season.

I am all for non-league talent being given a chance and allowed to benefit the selling parent, by means of a considerable transfer fee. That however, seems to be an idea despised on this board. If Still can work comparative miracles with shoestrings, then he may not be at D&R for very long, which as you earlier suggested,, could be when their bubble will burst.

Baz

#30 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

Some Daggers related news i discovered while replying was that John Still's first signing for D&R, Peter Shirtliff died at the weekend after a battle with cancer. That slipped under my sky sports news/bbc teletext radar.

#31 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

View Postlindave, on Sep 14 2009, 11:35 PM, said:

As soon as I saw what team he'd selected on Saturday I knew Sherri was on a loser. Why drop our best fullback in Picken?No big man up front and players played out of position, Ricco's tactics coming back to haunt us.

Dave I understand why you are saying the above, but TW scouted D and R at home a couple of weeks ago. We did see a lot of high balls being thrown in and it's obvious the management thought it essential to have the big boys at the back. Last time at their place Picken was one of the players that got a right roasting, admittedly playing at LB. In view of the result/score I would say the system worked to some extent and that it was the players who let us down. After all both their goals were the result of defensive errors from high balls.

Maybe the big man up front would have helped but that would mean Talbot or Small sitting on the bench. Were you suggesting Gritton should have been part of our strategy or that we should have brought someone in by now. I think Bowery would have got knocked about a bit with their style.
God I hate this league.

#32 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

If Lowry takes the very good chance at 1-0 then its a different game entirely.

Goals change games and gifting them a second killed us off effectively.

Start taking more of the chances we create and minimise the individual errors (that we always seem to get punished for) and the results will improve.

#33 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

View PostBrimington Barry, on Sep 15 2009, 12:06 AM, said:

I'd love them to do well, I was born a few miles from their ground, but good managers still need money to work with.

Baz

Upney lane?
A new hope.

#34 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

View PostBlueprint, on Sep 15 2009, 12:47 AM, said:

Some Daggers related news i discovered while replying was that John Still's first signing for D&R, Edit:Paul Shirtliff died at the weekend after a battle with cancer. That slipped under my sky sports news/bbc teletext radar.

Oops, didn't know Peter had a twin brother Paul!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users