• You cannot reply to this topic

Let’S Smash Wrexham’S Record

#61 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 February 2024 - 10:31 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 08 February 2024 - 08:44 PM, said:

We are just about there, why not let them rewite history, and set a record that's unlikely to be beaten, let's face it, whoever thought that Wrexham would be beat, yet here we are, with a great chance.. a team that not just town fans will remember for yrs, but 1 that many teams will try to emulate.

There's been alot of criticism of the beeb and rightly so for not giving us any coverage compared to their wrexham love in last year. Maybe they make shock us at the end of the year during in Sports Personality Awards, what better candidates are there for team of the year award. :D :D However no doubt the beeb will consider a transgender water polo team from brighton more suitable

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 08 February 2024 - 10:57 PM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#62 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2024 - 01:02 AM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 08 February 2024 - 08:52 PM, said:

He did indeed

If I was doing a chat to fans in town, I reckon I'd be genned up on the local manager (who also managed a club who I won the FA cup with...)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#63 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 09 February 2024 - 01:21 AM

Glad to see lots of you want the record. Can’t understand those who have no interest in breaking records. Downright bizarre in my opinion..

#64 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 February 2024 - 06:43 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 09 February 2024 - 01:02 AM, said:

If I was doing a chat to fans in town, I reckon I'd be genned up on the local manager (who also managed a club who I won the FA cup with...)

If you think that’s the only reason, you fail to realise what a small circle football in this country operates in.

#65 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:45 AM

View Postmoondog, on 08 February 2024 - 09:08 PM, said:

We've got to aim for set an unbeatable record to keep everyone motivated, by the sound of recent interviews this is what we are aiming to do

I wonder if, on the back of last years Wembley heartache, the players have been incentivised to do just that this season?

Cookies team have always been well-bonused in the past.

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 09 February 2024 - 09:48 AM

#66 User is offline   SPM 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:44 PM

Wrexham fan here in peace. Congratulations on promotion. Looks like the National League isn't as strong this season as no one has even come close to keeping up with you. Wish we had it so easy, towards the end it was sickening. I mean no disrespect in saying any of that. You've absolutely dominated all season, fair play.

Anyway just thought I'd share my views on League Two.

Anyone thinking it isn't much of a step up is in for a big shock.

Make no mistake it is. As we have found out on more than a few occasions, as have Notts.

In the National League you can rely on a good number of teams to just roll over, even if they start strong in a game, usually the superior quality comes good and they tend to run out of steam.
In League Two every team has a lot more quality, they have the fitness to compete for the duration and they are much more professional and much harder to break down. The overall quality of players is a lot better, certainly a lot better than I thought it would be. Its a tough league.

Again don't take offence but you will need to strengthen significantly to compete at the top end of L2 in my humble opinion.
We had to significantly upgrade our goalkeeper, wing Backs and centre Midfield and we brought in Fletcher up front - Okonkwo, McClean, Bolton, George Evans. Centre of defence still isn't quite good enough and injuries have hurt us there.

On our record points total - looks like you are on course to do it. However once the title is done it will be a tough ask for your players to keep the intensity up without the need of having to get points. If they do then fair play.

#67 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:47 PM

SPM said:

1708004648[/url]' post='1803594']
Wrexham fan here in peace. Congratulations on promotion. Looks like the National League isn't as strong this season as no one has even come close to keeping up with you. Wish we had it so easy, towards the end it was sickening. I mean no disrespect in saying any of that. You've absolutely dominated all season, fair play.

Make no mistake it is. As we have found out on more than a few occasions, as have Notts.

In the National League you can rely on a good number of teams to just roll over, even if they start strong in a game, usually the superior quality comes good and they tend to run out of steam.
In League Two every team has a lot more quality, they have the fitness to compete for the duration and they are much more professional and much harder to break down. The overall quality of players is a lot better, certainly a lot better than I thought it would be. Its a tough league.

Again don't take offence but you will need to strengthen significantly to compete at the top end of L2 in my humble opinion.
We had to significantly upgrade our goalkeeper, wing Backs and centre Midfield and we brought in Fletcher up front - Okonkwo, McClean, Bolton, George Evans. Centre of defence still isn't quite good enough and injuries have hurt us there.

On our record points total - looks like you are on course to do it. However once the title is done it will be a tough ask for your players to keep the intensity up without the need of having to get points. If they do then fair play.

Sorry but your comments are somewhat arrogant claiming league is not as strong, get back to your own board

#68 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:05 PM

We must've caught all these L1 and L2 teams we've beaten in the last couple of years on an off day because they didn't look up to much

View PostBrookie, on 15 February 2024 - 01:47 PM, said:

Sorry but your comments are somewhat arrogant claiming league is not as strong, get back to your own board

His opening paragraph rather set the tone
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#69 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:16 PM

View Postazul, on 15 February 2024 - 02:05 PM, said:

His opening paragraph rather set the tone

Within 17 words he'd basically undermined what we've achieved to this point. Seen it a lot on Twitter etc with both Wrexham and County fans being very precious about last season and the points they got saying it was stronger when its basically the same bar them two so only a couple of games different plus we took points off both of them!

#70 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:27 PM

View PostJonB, on 15 February 2024 - 02:16 PM, said:

Within 17 words he'd basically undermined what we've achieved to this point. Seen it a lot on Twitter etc with both Wrexham and County fans being very precious about last season and the points they got saying it was stronger when its basically the same bar them two so only a couple of games different plus we took points off both of them!

Same as Webb said, if you take off both home & away defeats at both teams we lose twelve points which would leave us 11pts clear still. But obviously that wouldn't come into any of their thinking.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#71 User is offline   essexspireman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:32 PM

View PostSPM, on 15 February 2024 - 01:44 PM, said:

Paul Cook has taken both Chesterfield and Portsmouth from League 2 to League 1, so I think he knows what it's all about.

#72 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:08 PM

Nah mate, you've just got a schitt manager, you had by far and away the biggest budget ever in the NL, I dare say that's pretty much the same again this season too...

We're doing just fine and not even the biggest budget in our league.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#73 User is offline   SPM 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:12 PM

View Postessexspireman, on 15 February 2024 - 02:32 PM, said:

Paul Cook has taken both Chesterfield and Portsmouth from League 2 to League 1, so I think he knows what it's all about.

Good job I wasn't talking to Paul Cook then.

Don't use that charm school again lads, they've had you off!

#74 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:52 PM

A Wrexham fan coming on here telling us what the football league is like, haha.

#75 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:11 PM

View PostBrookie, on 15 February 2024 - 01:47 PM, said:

His comments are welcome but the ‘not as strong’ thing has been said so often that it has been taken as fact. Not sure it can be quantified either way. Just because there aren’t 2 similarly matched sides right at the top doesn’t mean anything about the overall level of the other 22.

#76 User is offline   Blue roan lily 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:14 PM

While we will always welcome views from other clubs on here and I’ll not slate you, I’d like to examine some facts.
You say at the end of the season you were battling, well when you came to our place (half way through the season I reckon) we made your lot look like a pub team and could have had 5 or 6.
When it comes to teams we’ve played in the cup over the last 3 seasons or from higher leagues whether L2, L1 or even Watford in the championship this season ( forget Chelsea 2 years ago ) we were more than a match and if not better.
Yes we’ll strengthen but this squad we’ve got now competes at the top of League 2 easy.
See ya next season…

#77 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:16 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 February 2024 - 06:11 PM, said:

His comments are welcome but the ‘not as strong’ thing has been said so often that it has been taken as fact. Not sure it can be quantified either way. Just because there aren’t 2 similarly matched sides right at the top doesn’t mean anything about the overall level of the other 22.

It just another lazy sound bite that gets trotted out ad nauseam by people without a clue.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#78 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:40 PM

View Postazul, on 15 February 2024 - 06:16 PM, said:

It just another lazy sound bite that gets trotted out ad nauseam by people without a clue.

You could easily conclude something different given the bottom two this season are highly likely to finish with more points than the bottom two last season.

#79 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:42 PM

Dude, appreciate you are a troll and here to get a few bites but I feel like you should know that while you guys were averaging 2k in the Conference, Chesterfield were in the League 1 play offs and won League 2 twice.

A Wrexham fan explaining what League 2 is like to a Chesterfield fan is akin to a small child with special needs explaining to Shakespeare how to write a sonnet.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#80 User is offline   Blue roan lily 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:08 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on 15 February 2024 - 06:42 PM, said:

Dude, appreciate you are a troll and here to get a few bites but I feel like you should know that while you guys were averaging 2k in the Conference, Chesterfield were in the League 1 play offs and won League 2 twice.

A Wrexham fan explaining what League 2 is like to a Chesterfield fan is akin to a small child with special needs explaining to Shakespeare how to write a sonnet.

Now, that’s a reply..

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users