• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Takeover Talks

#221 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:22 AM

View PostClose but no prawn sarnies, on 20 November 2019 - 03:33 PM, said:

The facts are simple.

A substantial sum of money is required to obtain the club and keep it going. The contracted players need paying as per their contracts, little income is coming through the turnstiles as walk up attendees are few, season ticket money is long gone.

Prospective buyers (and current owner) will have to cover all shortfalls in ongoing costs.

What is not a fact is gates and income will rise because of new owners, It is possible that they will continue to fall due to the totally unattractive football we are enduring.

Not a penny more fans pledging their return is encouraging but easily offset by fans simply put off by the falling standard of football on offer.

What is on the pitch motivates the vast majority of fans. Ownership antics can be overlooked when the team is successful.

We had full houses under Allen, Carson & Turner (and Daren Brown in the past) and would do so again if we were pushing for promotion in the Football League.

I crave a take over, would I invest in one? that is a very different question and one I suspect a number of well intentioned fans are now toying with.

I agree with your points to a certain extent and I can only speak for myself but I think attendances will initially increase once a takeover goes through irrespective of the quality of football. I also think that increase will be maintained until the end of the season at least.

For the new owner(s), that's when the hard work will begin, a clean slate and I would imagine many people losing jobs unfortunately. The club hasn't adjusted enough to life in non league in my opinion, it seems we still have this "we are a big club in this league" mentality. The fact is we are a struggling side in rubbish league, the club itself has been run in such a poor way we are where we are but all will not be lost.

I guarantee if the sale goes through I will once again become a season ticket holder, something I haven't been for nearly half a decade.

Make no mistake, it won't be easy but its doable once we accept where we are and have a good business plan to get us moving forward unlike the current owner who just throws money at it with no viable plan.

Personally, I would like to see a new manager if we start afresh but Sheridan's payoff, I imagine, would be difficult to finance.

Would I invest in a takeover? Unfortunately I don't have the financial clout to do so but I would support any fan that did.

#222 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

View PostQuaker, on 22 November 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

I agree with your points to a certain extent and I can only speak for myself but I think attendances will initially increase once a takeover goes through irrespective of the quality of football. I also think that increase will be maintained until the end of the season at least.

For the new owner(s), that's when the hard work will begin, a clean slate and I would imagine many people losing jobs unfortunately. The club hasn't adjusted enough to life in non league in my opinion, it seems we still have this "we are a big club in this league" mentality. The fact is we are a struggling side in rubbish league, the club itself has been run in such a poor way we are where we are but all will not be lost.

I guarantee if the sale goes through I will once again become a season ticket holder, something I haven't been for nearly half a decade.

Make no mistake, it won't be easy but its doable once we accept where we are and have a good business plan to get us moving forward unlike the current owner who just throws money at it with no viable plan.

Personally, I would like to see a new manager if we start afresh but Sheridan's payoff, I imagine, would be difficult to finance.

Would I invest in a takeover? Unfortunately I don't have the financial clout to do so but I would support any fan that did.

You look at our attendances, season ticket sales and the hospitality potential then we have the essentials to be as financially viable as any L2,and probably most of L1, clubs. Understandably the income will have dropped this last couple of seasons but the biggest issue here over the last few years hasn't been bringing money in it's the way it's seemingly been haemorrhaged up against the wall.
East stand second class citizen.

#223 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 November 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

You look at our attendances, season ticket sales and the hospitality potential then we have the essentials to be as financially viable as any L2,and probably most of L1, clubs. Understandably the income will have dropped this last couple of seasons but the biggest issue here over the last few years hasn't been bringing money in it's the way it's seemingly been haemorrhaged up against the wall.

I can't argue with that mate, we most certainly do have the infrastructure to do well if its run correctly. I do believe the new owners (if they materialise) will have their sights set on next season. They wont be daft and will take nothing for granted like the last lot. I think they will definitely be cutting their cloth until the ship can be steadied and a gradual momentum moving forward can be achieved. I believe it will all be down to numbers going through the gate, building bridges with sponsors and reigniting lounges and concourses. This will have a knock on effect on the pitch.

It won't happen overnight but when it does it will be a welcome breath of fresh air, not just at the Proact but the whole town.

The removal of Ashley Carson and the whole board will be a massive step forward in the eyes of us mere minions.

#224 User is offline   Close but no prawn sarnies 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

View PostQuaker, on 22 November 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

I can't argue with that mate, we most certainly do have the infrastructure to do well if its run correctly. I do believe the new owners (if they materialise) will have their sights set on next season. They wont be daft and will take nothing for granted like the last lot. I think they will definitely be cutting their cloth until the ship can be steadied and a gradual momentum moving forward can be achieved. I believe it will all be down to numbers going through the gate, building bridges with sponsors and reigniting lounges and concourses. This will have a knock on effect on the pitch.

It won't happen overnight but when it does it will be a welcome breath of fresh air, not just at the Proact but the whole town.

The removal of Ashley Carson and the whole board will be a massive step forward in the eyes of us mere minions.

Totally agree and the crowds would doubtless improve on the back of ownership changes BUT that would only be sustained if the on pitch performances improved.

The gamble for any prospective buyers is estimating the crowds and income and raising finance accordingly. Its a big gamble requiring deep pockets.

#225 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

Let's also take into account that if new owners came in and asked for help from supporters by either volunteering time or donating a few quid then as long as we have faith in them, then I would imagine that people would help out.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#226 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostQuaker, on 22 November 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

You make a good point re the Sponsors, or current lack of them, something I'd completely forgotten about. I dread to think how much sponsorship income has been lost these last few years due to lack of trust and faith in the current set up, the plummeting out of the league and the current malaise. Hopefully when this lot do eventually go it would herald an influx of returning and hopefully new sponsors, and although rates would have to reflect the current non league standing of the club it could be a welcome financial shot in the arm!
East stand second class citizen.

#227 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

I've a good friend who supports Mansfield. He told me how Haslam made the MTFC brand so toxic most local businesses refused to be associated. Well, unless the deal offered was so ridiculous they'd have been daft to turn it down. However whilst there was no magic post Haslam wand those previously snubbing sponsorship and advertising were suddenly ready to return.

The parallels with CFC are obvious.

I also agree with much of the above. Whilst only promotion will see six and seven thousand crowds again a post Brown CFSS style scenario, with an honest yet financially limited regime needing every pound possible, would see those currently starving out Carson and Co back to the fold. Infact the wider community could once again respond if the trust so crassly and casually trashed by this crew was restored.

Speaking for myself I'd book hospitality for the first game after a takeover - though with the caveat of not encountering any Carson cronies in the lounges. Then I'd be back every game whilst making a point of buying the snap, ale and merchandise I've been boycotting for years. I can't be unique in that attitude. I just need my club back first.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#228 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 November 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

I've a good friend who supports Mansfield. He told me how Haslam made the MTFC brand so toxic most local businesses refused to be associated. Well, unless the deal offered was so ridiculous they'd have been daft to turn it down. However whilst there was no magic post Haslam wand those previously snubbing sponsorship and advertising were suddenly ready to return.

I also agree with much of the above. Whilst only promotion will see six and seven thousand crowds again a post Brown CFSS style scenario, with an honest yet financially limited regime needing every pound possible, would see those currently starving out Carson and Co back to the fold. Infact the wider community could once again respond if the trust so crassly and casually trashed by this crew was restored.

Speaking for myself I'd book hospitality for the first game after a takeover - though with the caveat of not encountering any Carson cronies in the lounges. Then I'd be back every game whilst making a point of buying the snap, ale and merchandise I've been boycotting for years. I can't be unique in that attitude. I just need my club back first.

I can’t get to every game due to work, family and location, but if a takeover goes through I will personally fund a table of 8 (10?) in hospitality for non attendees under the current regime to encourage them back... beers not on me though!

Remind me when it happens!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#229 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:09 PM

Here is a question, does the state of the club lend itself to a complete sale or a split / sell off of the club's main asset?

#230 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:20 PM

View PostBlue5, on 22 November 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

Here is a question, does the state of the club lend itself to a complete sale or a split / sell off of the club's main asset?

I imagine it’s everything.

#231 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

View PostBlue5, on 22 November 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

I think the state of the club means it’s all or nothing. You could rent the conference / banquet facilities out to a seasoned operator at a fee plus % of revenue basis, but to sell the footballing side separately from anything else, it would require the owner to pay the buyers!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#232 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:08 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 November 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

I’d look at it differently. CFC is not a brand but the current leadership have made sufficient businesses and people think the Club is toxic. Hence the lower selling price. People will be hovering. Excellent though expensive to run ground for a lower League 1/2 club never mind this crap league. Very good potential support that can be enticed back as witnessed by your post. Are potential buyers waiting for the price to drop?

#233 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

I find it odd that people continually talk of the banqueting side being the crucial part in any sale and yet people keep going to functions and making it a very good cash cow asset for the people we want out of the club to stay a bit longer. Stop going to these events and we just might get what we want a lot quicker.

#234 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

View PostNitrous Oxide, on 23 November 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

I find it odd that people continually talk of the banqueting side being the crucial part in any sale and yet people keep going to functions and making it a very good cash cow asset for the people we want out of the club to stay a bit longer. Stop going to these events and we just might get what we want a lot quicker.

The counter argument is showing it is viable is more likely to attract a buyer

The income doesn't offset the significant losses DA is incurring every week

#235 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:53 AM

Any buyer will know it's worth to them. They will also know it's past. It's the here and now that needs a hit.

#236 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

The Frank Bruno event appealed but I'll wait and see as I'm not going as it is.

#237 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostNitrous Oxide, on 23 November 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

A lot of people aren't privy to the finite detail that appears on this board. A lot of people simply aren't bothered about these details and just do there own thing.

Should the take over happen there has to be a strong bond between the fans and the club.
God I hate this league.

#238 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:42 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 22 November 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Let's also take into account that if new owners came in and asked for help from supporters by either volunteering time or donating a few quid then as long as we have faith in them, then I would imagine that people would help out.

If new owners come in and need to start asking for donations to run the club I hope they don’t bid as the end will be soon

#239 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

Moondog,

If Ashley is keen to see the club sold to a local group, is there any reason why he has not gone public with what deal is available to a potential buyer?

#240 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

The value of the club went down a little more today. Be able to pay for it on a credit card at this rate.

Share this topic:

• (42 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users