Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Doe's Shez still need 3 or 4 New Faces - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doe's Shez still need 3 or 4 New Faces

#1 User is offline   the original blue pill 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

Well the football of late has been a treat to watch,but what happens when injuries etc start to creep in,have we got enough in reserve to keep it going?.IMO no we still need a proven goalscorer,midfield,& defensive cover.Downs who knows how he is going to perform once he is back later in the season from his injury,looks like Shez don't think Hall is in there at the moment,Kerry & Gritton looks to me as though they may be on borrowed time under Shez.I think we still need the number of player's Shez is reported to want,what do other board member's think?.

4 HOURS OF SHEER HEAVEN,STIFF AS A BOARD BABY HA HA

#2 User is offline   J Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

yes, i still think we need more depth in our squad, i think he will bring in around three towards the end of the month and release a few (Gritton, lloyd kerry)

This post has been edited by James the Spireite: 20 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

#3 User is offline   the original blue pill 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

View PostJames the Spireite, on Aug 20 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

yes, i still think we need more depth in our squad, i think he will bring in around three towards the end of the month and release a few (Gritton)

Gritton is still under contract so i can see him releasing him,other than loaning him out somewhere,or unless a club comes in for him with cash??? i just wonder if he maybe on his way back to Macclesfield for small fee.?

4 HOURS OF SHEER HEAVEN,STIFF AS A BOARD BABY HA HA

#4 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

View Postthe original blue pill, on Aug 20 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

Well the football of late has been a treat to watch,but what happens when injuries etc start to creep in,have we got enough in reserve to keep it going?.IMO no we still need a proven goalscorer,midfield,& defensive cover.Downs who knows how he is going to perform once he is back later in the season from his injury,looks like Shez don't think Hall is in there at the moment,Kerry & Gritton looks to me as though they may be on borrowed time under Shez.I think we still need the number of player's Shez is reported to want,what do other board member's think?.

I suspect JS is still assessing his squad to a certain extent. He's only seen his players perform in a few competitive games.

#5 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

I suspect it all depends on how many players he intends to let go, if any.

I know people want a proven goal scorer but I doubt very much we will get one, maybe a Premiership/Championship youth team striker if we are lucky.

#6 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:33 AM

In the cold light of day, measured thought tells us that we've a capable starting eleven but lack options beyond that.

Top of the list is the oft mentioned physical presence in the final third, and i'd like to see another proven midfielder a.s.a.p.

I'm told there's interest in Kerry from a local non league side (no, not our little yellow neighbours; this lot play in red), but any suggesttions of a return to Moss Rose for Gritton can be instantly dismissed.

It also seems fair to assume that Harsley and Currie's future might lay elsewhere, however it's stating the ABO to recognise their wages might prove a stumbling block for potential suitors.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#7 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on Aug 20 2009, 12:46 PM, said:

In the cold light of day, measured thought tells us that we've a capable starting eleven but lack options beyond that.

Top of the list is the oft mentioned physical presence in the final third, and i'd like to see another proven midfielder a.s.a.p.

I'm told there's interest in Kerry from a local non league side (no, not our little yellow neighbours; this lot play in red), but any suggesttions of a return to Moss Rose for Gritton can be instantly dismissed.

It also seems fair to assume that Harsley and Currie's future might lay elsewhere, however it's stating the ABO to recognise their wages might prove a stumbling block for potential suitors.

Alfreton want Kerry, I can't see Lloyd being interested myself.

#8 User is offline   Spireite61 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

For all the positive attractive football this season, the fact that we have only scored one goal from open play, suggests that another forward option would be top of Sheridan's wish list.

When Notts got a goal last night it was crying out for someone up front who could take and keep the ball. While Bowery shows great potential, he didn't really do this effectively and I bet Sheridan wished he could have changed his mind on that subsitution once Notts had scored from the free kick.

Sheridan doesn't appear to rate Gritton, so if he could be shipped out to allow another to come in, I'm sure the manager would.

#9 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

View PostSpireite61, on Aug 20 2009, 12:56 PM, said:

For all the positive attractive football this season, the fact that we have only scored one goal from open play, suggests that another forward option would be top of Sheridan's wish list.

When Notts got a goal last night it was crying out for someone up front who could take and keep the ball. While Bowery shows great potential, he didn't really do this effectively and I bet Sheridan wished he could have changed his mind on that subsitution once Notts had scored from the free kick.

Sheridan doesn't appear to rate Gritton, so if he could be shipped out to allow another to come in, I'm sure the manager would.

You and I discussed this on the Kop last night, the fact that we were not scoring from open play. Another (good) forward player would be nice but I cant see a proven goalscorer coming our way unless he thought he was going to play regular first team football. We have Jack Lester who is going to any "proven" goal scorer firmly on the bench.

Now a holding/target man we may just get but that could revert us back to hoofball and kick Talbot onto the subs bench. I thought Talbot had a good game last night, and I suspect as the season goes on, he and Jack will form a good partnership, we do have Gritton as back up and Bowery as well, are we going to get someone in, who is happy to sit on the bench and is better than Gritton or Bowery?

Oh to be a manager eh!

This post has been edited by Mark Jones: 20 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

#10 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

View PostMark Jones, on Aug 20 2009, 01:05 PM, said:

You and I discussed this on the Kop last night, the fact that we were not scoring from open play. Another (good) forward player would be nice but I cant see a proven goalscorer coming our way unless he thought he was going to play regular first team football. We have Jack Lester who is going to any "proven" goal scorer firmly on the bench.

Now a holding/target man we may just get but that could revert us back to hoofball and kick Talbot onto the subs bench. I thought Talbot had a good game last night, and I suspect as the season goes on, he and Jack will form a good partnership, we do have Gritton as back up and Bowery as well, are we going to get someone in, who is happy to sit on the bench and is better than Gritton or Bowery?

Oh to be a manager eh!

Hi Mark - seems an age since I last replied to one of your posts.

My thoughts are that whilst Drew Talbot did ok last night neither then nor on Saturday did he looked like a "greedy" striker should. He seems to be quite quick at closing people down but not very quick over the first two or three yards inside the penalty area - call it anticipation, being in the right place at the right time, or shot shy I don't know what but he has less presence inside the box than outside it.

Also last night young Donal did not have a good time of it. I know he has to learn but he was a bit of a weak link especially compared to Saturday.

So, if we had another "first team" natural striker and had the choice of playing Drew on the wing instead of or as well as Donal our options could increase dramatically in the final third.

Lowry was very good last night and looked back to his old form and will take some dislodging from the right-side of midfield. However I doubt he can keep that sort of level of performance up for 90 minutes in over 50 games and will need to be rested at some stage either by substitution or otherwise. Again a natural situation for Drew.

So upfront we do have Gritton, Bowery & Boden. The latter currently can't make the bench and a loan spell might do him good. I agree with keep bringing young Jordan on when the match allows (ideally not as the opposition are about to take a fee-kick) to further his education so to speak. Gritton is not a bad bench-warmer either and is possibly more suited to not playing a full 90 minutes every match so I do really think we need to add one more capable striker possibly before any other position is considered.

#11 User is offline   rs1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

View Postdtp, on Aug 20 2009, 01:37 PM, said:

My thoughts are that whilst Drew Talbot did ok last night neither then nor on Saturday did he looked like a "greedy" striker should. He seems to be quite quick at closing people down but not very quick over the first two or three yards inside the penalty area - call it anticipation, being in the right place at the right time, or shot shy I don't know what but he has less presence inside the box than outside it.

Also last night young Donal did not have a good time of it. I know he has to learn but he was a bit of a weak link especially compared to Saturday.

So, if we had another "first team" natural striker and had the choice of playing Drew on the wing instead of or as well as Donal our options could increase dramatically in the final third.

Lowry was very good last night and looked back to his old form and will take some dislodging from the right-side of midfield. However I doubt he can keep that sort of level of performance up for 90 minutes in over 50 games and will need to be rested at some stage either by substitution or otherwise. Again a natural situation for Drew.

So upfront we do have Gritton, Bowery & Boden. The latter currently can't make the bench and a loan spell might do him good. I agree with keep bringing young Jordan on when the match allows (ideally not as the opposition are about to take a fee-kick) to further his education so to speak. Gritton is not a bad bench-warmer either and is possibly more suited to not playing a full 90 minutes every match so I do really think we need to add one more capable striker possibly before any other position is considered.

The situation with Talbot is a bit of a puzzler to me. He says that he prefers playing as a Striker, Sheridan said he signed him as a Striker and yet to me - and seemingly to many others - his attributes mark him out as a wide player. If we are going to challenge for promotion chances are we will need a front two capable of scoring 35-40 goals between them (especially as goals from central midfield are at a premium). At the moment, I can't see that Drew is that man - for the most part he lacks a finishers instinct and true conviction when presented with a goal scoring opportunity. Maybe he just needs a goal or two before getting into the groove and becoming prolific? I hope so, but I have my doubts. Drew put in a good shift last night, certainly - but does he carry the goal threat we crave?

#12 User is offline   Sin 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

View Postrs1978, on Aug 20 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

The situation with Talbot is a bit of a puzzler to me. He says that he prefers playing as a Striker, Sheridan said he signed him as a Striker and yet to me - and seemingly to many others - his attributes mark him out as a wide player. If we are going to challenge for promotion chances are we will need a front two capable of scoring 35-40 goals between them (especially as goals from central midfield are at a premium). At the moment, I can't see that Drew is that man - for the most part he lacks a finishers instinct and true conviction when presented with a goal scoring opportunity. Maybe he just needs a goal or two before getting into the groove and becoming prolific? I hope so, but I have my doubts. Drew put in a good shift last night, certainly - but does he carry the goal threat we crave?

I don't think Drew has ever been prolific has he? I know that the same may well have been true of Jack before he came here but I can't see Drew doing the same. defo think he's best suited to the wing. imagine if we had Donaldo on the left, the "ginger maradonna" on the right and a pacey striker up front (whether on loan or not). teams wouldnt dare push up for the offside with all that pace, but sitting too deep would have Jack too close to their goal for comfort...

#13 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

View Postdtp, on Aug 20 2009, 01:37 PM, said:

It probably been about 3 years!

I think the striker "problem" could go on for a good while yet, only the manager knows what he wants. I like the look of Talbot and Jack up front, ok no goals yet but the chances that have been created over the last two games have been a lot better than we have seen in a while. I think they will click and I think they will soon be playing the way JS wants them to play. I suspect one or two teams will get a good thrashing this season from us. But then you have to take into account Jack's suspensions and Talbot's injuries. JS will then need a plan B.

I dont see another striker as a number one priority, I think McDermott's replacement needs to be shopped for now as he will be gone in 2 and a half months unless we can do a deal with Man City.

I still think that a good striker, willing to sit on the bench for the forseeable future, will be hard to find.

#14 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

View PostMark Jones, on Aug 20 2009, 06:38 PM, said:

It probably been about 3 years!

I think the striker "problem" could go on for a good while yet, only the manager knows what he wants. I like the look of Talbot and Jack up front, ok no goals yet but the chances that have been created over the last two games have been a lot better than we have seen in a while. I think they will click and I think they will soon be playing the way JS wants them to play. I suspect one or two teams will get a good thrashing this season from us. But then you have to take into account Jack's suspensions and Talbot's injuries. JS will then need a plan B.

I dont see another striker as a number one priority, I think McDermott's replacement needs to be shopped for now as he will be gone in 2 and a half months unless we can do a deal with Man City.

I still think that a good striker, willing to sit on the bench for the forseeable future, will be hard to find.

In the latest player interview, JS stated he was after another striker and when quizzed by Geoff with regards to the type of player he mentioned that he wants one that scores goals (who wouldn't) and has plenty of pace.
If only....

#15 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Aug 20 2009, 06:46 PM, said:

In the latest player interview, JS stated he was after another striker and when quizzed by Geoff with regards to the type of player he mentioned that he wants one that scores goals (who wouldn't) and has plenty of pace.

I don't have player so I missed that.

If thats the case it looks like Talbot may be destined for the subs bench. (Unless he can bag a few sharpish)

#16 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

View PostEuro 2005, on Aug 20 2009, 07:22 AM, said:

Superb last night. Strange though that Mr Snell and the fish man are not around. Must have been otherwise engaged. Then again, it was a great performance and they really can't cope with anything that may remotely be positive about CFC. There's always an excuse for them not to be there when we play well but, rather surprisingly, they are always there to comment on a poor performance. Well, on the evidence of last night, they'll not be around much at all this season. We can but hope!

If JS brings in any new faces in the very near future it will be unfortunate for any of our current first eleven, especially if the keep up the good work like last night.

We do need a 6'2+ striker up front, Rico struggled to find a replacement for Fletch and although Grits was signed eventually (perhaps in panic) he's still only 6'1 which is hardly big man status in this day and age, and it has to be said he is somewhat poor in the air. I also feel we need a quick, skilful prolific striker to replace Ward. Talbot is still only young and hasn't played that much of his albeit short career so far in a central strikers role so his goal rate could improve on what it is so far, but that's currently work in progress, jack isn't going to be on form every game as the last two games have shown and when jack isn't on song we don't look capable of properly killing teams off as we lack goals.

It would be nice to see a Paul Holland or Phil Robinson type midfield player capable of getting 10 plus goals a season, although i do now Lowry has got off the mark he will not be long before he's getting his first goal from open play for over a year. And McDermott should get us at least 5 in his 3 month spell.

Not sure if we really need a 4th player, perhaps if we suffer injury to a key player that will decide what type of player to bring in, but despite 4 of our staff on scouting missions on tuesday night no one in the current 11 is playing poor enough to be replaced by new blood. Even Robertson who has played his socks off so far in 2009 doesn't currently deserve a starting place as Austin is playing the best i have seen him play for us.

#17 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

View Postthe original blue pill, on Aug 20 2009, 10:56 AM, said:

BH not available for comment. <_<
God I hate this league.

#18 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

Actually he was, he said on sheff tonight that JS has told him players who he's interested in and 4 staff were out scouting on tuesday night, 2 up north and two down south. <_<

#19 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

View Postthe original blue pill, on Aug 20 2009, 11:01 AM, said:

Gritton is still under contract so i can see him releasing him,other than loaning him out somewhere,or unless a club comes in for him with cash??? i just wonder if he maybe on his way back to Macclesfield for small fee.?

It's a difficult one. Gritton did well at Torquay, and it may simply be that Les sees Gritton is more suited to replacing Jack, whilst Bowery is the best one to replace Drew.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#20 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

View Postdim view, on Aug 20 2009, 07:33 PM, said:

It's a difficult one. Gritton did well at Torquay, and it may simply be that Les sees Gritton is more suited to replacing Jack, whilst Bowery is the best one to replace Drew.

That's what i said last night near the end of the game, we suffer with Jack and Gritts together as we lack pace, with one youngster and an old head we have more balance, for the 2nd match running i'd have been tempted to replace Jack last night as he wasn't at the top of his game but with Drew already replaced with Bowery we'd have been short on quality as Jordan is still raw and hesitant.

With how Austin and co have performed so far under the new manager i don't see why we can't see an improved gritts from the end of last season, he won the fans over as soon as he arrived but suffered as the weels went on but so did the rest of the team too. With better service, better players around him and better coaching gritton could get 10+ goals for us this season and be a decent replacement for tired legs upfront, he scored 16 goals in this league for torquay not so long back and their fans still respect him for his time with them.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users