• You cannot reply to this topic

Altrincham Match Thread

#301 User is offline   johnd51 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2023 - 03:51 PM

View PostSpireiteranger, on 27 August 2023 - 03:23 PM, said:

We just need to get back to playing incisive football on the floor. The amount of times yesterday we just played a high ball up top to quigley with no one around him to flick on to was frightening.
Also, got to say despite the good numbers yesterday there was absolutely zero atmosphere in the away end (even when we were winning and playing ok first half)

Agree with that. I was in the Main Stand and I had to keep checking that the Town fans behind the goal weren't the old Arsenal mural. Sometimes the fans have to get the team going rather than the other way round.
I think the management believed this was the easier game of the weekend and selected accordingly rather than picking our best eleven and letting Monday look after itself.
As a result we had no means of keeping the ball in their half when it was important to do so. Jacobs may be a player but didn't show it today, Dobra and Liam were way below par and Quigley was normal. Colclough, Banks and Berry improved nothing. No one played well apart from the keeper (who let 2 in), Grimes (who may have contributed to the first) and Naylor. Both full backs were dodgy and King got his first yellow in his first start.
A very tough game tomorrow when home support could be crucial but if we don't win will turn on Cooky.
I do agree with some of the criticism but I was right by the bench at Oxford and the manager almost single handedly got us the win that night with his constant cajoling, astute substitutions and calm influence at the end of a tough game. Yesterday I think the initial selection was wrong but the players let us down, hence PC's obvious frustration. It's a long season.

#302 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 27 August 2023 - 04:41 PM

View Postdtp, on 27 August 2023 - 03:46 PM, said:

I've just watched them. Would the word "Lowlights" describe it better.

Tell me, is that 180 minutes of football in which the opposition keeper has been untroubled in open play whilst Tyrer has had a number of saves to make?

I'd say so.
It's the running theme. Oodles of possession and not/hardly a shot on target.
We should be working the opposition keeper regularly through the games but we simply don't.
*and before anyone pipes up about 4 goals at Fylde, it's looking like a one off unless we press forward and attack. I've seen enough sideways fannying around now

#303 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:15 AM

View Postdanblue, on 27 August 2023 - 04:41 PM, said:

I'd say so.
It's the running theme. Oodles of possession and not/hardly a shot on target.
We should be working the opposition keeper regularly through the games but we simply don't.
*and before anyone pipes up about 4 goals at Fylde, it's looking like a one off unless we press forward and attack. I've seen enough sideways fannying around now

Well it’s a one off if we don’t count Dorking.

Share this topic:

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users