• You cannot reply to this topic

Drew Talbots Testimonial

#221 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2023 - 08:54 AM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 12 July 2023 - 10:26 PM, said:

Don’t forget this wasn’t against opposition from this division - if grimes “did ok” against championship players he will be fine against national league players.

Cooks assembling a very good side and we’re going to have a very good season

Yes but I do think our left hand side of defence may be our Achilles heel, particularly at home where the craftier sides will look to soak up pressure then hit us there. As we’re unlikely to sign another left back, can see Maguire appearing there again if the going gets tough. Also, another striker would be higher up the priority list for me because we need to scrape points when we don’t play well (as last years promoted sides showed).
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#222 User is offline   gb007 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2023 - 09:13 AM

Phil V 72 said:

1689238442[/url]' post='1754326']
Yes but I do think our left hand side of defence may be our Achilles heel, particularly at home where the craftier sides will look to soak up pressure then hit us there. As we're unlikely to sign another left back, can see Maguire appearing there again if the going gets tough. Also, another striker would be higher up the priority list for me because we need to scrape points when we don't play well (as last years promoted sides showed).

Agreed-unfortunately Cookie seems to be oblivious to the Grimes problem.
We have assembled a very good squad of players BUT as an opposition manager it is so easy to target our weakness and unfortunately it is in both CH positions.
We will continue to attack with both full backs so we desperately need a CH ( or 2)with pace who can also read the game and as we like to,play out from the back they should also be comfortable on the ball.
When you look at the attributes we require Grimes has none of them.

As for the previous post that Grimes will be ok against NL opposition it was proven times over last year that this was not the case and sadly I believe it wii be the same this season.
Thankfully this year we look to have more firepower which we will need to compensate for the defensive frailties

I really hope to be wrong but as you say this is our ‘Achilles heel’
“When was the last time you did something for the first time”

#223 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2023 - 09:21 AM

View Postgb007, on 13 July 2023 - 09:13 AM, said:

Agreed-unfortunately Cookie seems to be oblivious to the Grimes problem.
We have assembled a very good squad of players BUT as an opposition manager it is so easy to target our weakness and unfortunately it is in both CH positions.
We will continue to attack with both full backs so we desperately need a CH ( or 2)with pace who can also read the game and as we like to,play out from the back they should also be comfortable on the ball.
When you look at the attributes we require Grimes has none of them.

As for the previous post that Grimes will be ok against NL opposition it was proven times over last year that this was not the case and sadly I believe it wii be the same this season.
Thankfully this year we look to have more firepower which we will need to compensate for the defensive frailties

I really hope to be wrong but as you say this is our ‘Achilles heel’

I don't want to make this into a pile on but I've always had concerns around Grimes. Sometimes he'll play passes through the lines nicely, other times he will give it to the opposition when he really shouldn't. I feel like he gets a lot of leeway because he gives 100% and is your typical blood and thunder centre half, which is fine, I like him but I think he's a confidence player and he is liable to make a few mistakes in a short period of time one after the other like he did on Tuesday. That said, this is the National League and he's one of the better centre halves at this level, he can do fine against most of the forwards down here.

#224 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 13 July 2023 - 09:44 AM

View PostGoku, on 13 July 2023 - 09:21 AM, said:

I don't want to make this into a pile on but I've always had concerns around Grimes. Sometimes he'll play passes through the lines nicely, other times he will give it to the opposition when he really shouldn't. I feel like he gets a lot of leeway because he gives 100% and is your typical blood and thunder centre half, which is fine, I like him but I think he's a confidence player and he is liable to make a few mistakes in a short period of time one after the other like he did on Tuesday. That said, this is the National League and he's one of the better centre halves at this level, he can do fine against most of the forwards down here.

Do you agree that the first goal wasn't his fault at all?

Colclough lost the ball with Clements ahead of him. Their CH burst into the vast open space down the left and Banks made no attempt to get across. That left Grimes exposed against a talented player flying at full pelt who put in a great cross.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#225 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 13 July 2023 - 09:58 AM

View Postdim view, on 13 July 2023 - 09:44 AM, said:

Colclough lost the ball with Clements ahead of him. Their CH burst into the vast open space down the left and Banks made no attempt to get across. That left Grimes exposed against a talented player flying at full pelt who put in a great cross.

Agreed, not Grimes' fault, we'd committed heavily down the left, lost it and became exposed, Banks didn't sense danger/was lazy (delete as appropriate). Could Grimes have done better, maybe he should've positioned himself a bit deeper when Iorfa (I think it was) was running at him but that's being ultra-critical.

#226 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2023 - 10:12 AM

View PostGoku, on 13 July 2023 - 09:58 AM, said:

Agreed, not Grimes' fault, we'd committed heavily down the left, lost it and became exposed, Banks didn't sense danger/was lazy (delete as appropriate). Could Grimes have done better, maybe he should've positioned himself a bit deeper when Iorfa (I think it was) was running at him but that's being ultra-critical.

If you want someone to head it away from balls lobbed into the box, Grimes is the one you’d want in there all day long. I think it’s remarkable that he played every minute of every game last season and so he deserves a lot of credit. His pace is a slight issue due to the high line that Cook wants to play and the fact our 2 main left backs are often further up the pitch in Cook’s system. We can’t have it all - if Grimes had pace he wouldn’t be playing at this level I guess.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#227 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 13 July 2023 - 10:18 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 13 July 2023 - 10:12 AM, said:

If you want someone to head it away from balls lobbed into the box, Grimes is the one you’d want in there all day long. I think it’s remarkable that he played every minute of every game last season and so he deserves a lot of credit. His pace is a slight issue due to the high line that Cook wants to play and the fact our 2 main left backs are often further up the pitch in Cook’s system. We can’t have it all - if Grimes had pace he wouldn’t be playing at this level I guess.

Yep agreed, any gripes with his ability needs to be considered along with the level he's at, as you say if he was quicker or was a better passer of the ball he'd be in the Football League.

#228 User is offline   Bluenosey 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 13 July 2023 - 10:26 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 13 July 2023 - 10:12 AM, said:

With regard to the defensive set up and there first goal, we are attacking down the left therefore King should stay home and the two c/halves move across, ie 3 at the back, which then puts Grimes closer to there on coming c/h enabling him to engage earlier and jockey him outside, none of which happened, Grimes is a grafter and possible leader but not a great c/h unfortunately

#229 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 13 July 2023 - 11:14 AM

View PostBluenosey, on 13 July 2023 - 10:26 AM, said:

With regard to the defensive set up and there first goal, we are attacking down the left therefore King should stay home and the two c/halves move across, ie 3 at the back, which then puts Grimes closer to there on coming c/h enabling him to engage earlier and jockey him outside, none of which happened, Grimes is a grafter and possible leader but not a great c/h unfortunately

All good on paper but King was pushing up to make himself available for 'the switch', therefore both our CH took up their normalish positions, unfortunately Colclough and Clements cocked up and then someat we've not seen at our level, happened someone with pace, athleticism and strength ran at us, we couldn't cope. Food for thought and hopefully lessons leant
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#230 User is offline   SpireRam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2023 - 11:34 AM

I thought Grimes’ and Palmer’s distribution was pretty abysmal against Wednesday. Probably the only real negative from a strong performance. Not sure if it was just due to a championship outfit being able to read things better because it didn’t improve when Williams and Maguire came on either. Hopefully just a bit of rustiness.

#231 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 13 July 2023 - 11:51 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 13 July 2023 - 11:14 AM, said:

All good on paper but King was pushing up to make himself available for 'the switch', therefore both our CH took up their normalish positions, unfortunately Colclough and Clements cocked up and then someat we've not seen at our level, happened someone with pace, athleticism and strength ran at us, we couldn't cope. Food for thought and hopefully lessons leant

Yep. If Naylor had been playing LHS CM then maybe his superior defensive reading of the game would have kicked in and he'd have occupied the right space.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#232 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 13 July 2023 - 06:56 PM

View Postdim view, on 13 July 2023 - 09:44 AM, said:

Look at the goalie.
God I hate this league.

#233 User is offline   philtooleycfss 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2023 - 11:33 AM

The last formal event of Drew's Testimonial is on Friday 28 July, the launch of Brew Talbot in Bottles. Details here:

Brew Talbot In Bottles
The bespoke beer brewed by Brampton Brewery especially for Drew Talbot’s Testimonial, Brew Talbot, went down really well (literally) at his Testimonial Match against Sheffield Wednesday.
Described as ‘Robust with a hint of Ginger’ to ensure it reflected Drew perfectly, the draught version was exceptionally well received on the concourses and it has since been on sale at the brewery's three pubs, The Glassworks across from the SMH Group Stadium, plus The Tramway and Rose & Crown in Brampton.
The plan was always to bottle some of the beer, and the official launch of the bottled version will take place, at Brampton Brewery, on Friday, July 28 from 5.30pm.
It will be an informal ‘drop-in’ evening, with Drew being on hand for a chat and to autograph any bottles, whilst at 7.30pm and 8.30pm that evening, he’ll hold a couple of 20-minute question and answer sessions, with the evening drawing to a close at 9pm.
No tickets required, everyone welcome, and you’re more than welcome to sample other Brampton Brewery beers whilst your there, providing you’re at least 18 years old!

Share this topic:

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users