General Election It Is Then... Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 26 May 2024 - 01:48 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 12:27 PM, said:

Ask a silly question ?..

I?d forgotten you were a military expert (well an expert of my service anyway).
So you dislike all armed forces but think Finland is one of the most respected? Blimey

You?ve had a military career aint you as well as been a physio and god onows what else

#142 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 01:49 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 May 2024 - 12:30 PM, said:

I've never heard Mr M direspect military service and you dont need to be an expert to google and get expert opinions... Given they have a border with Russia I think its fair to say their military is probably stronger than most countries of their size...

added a google link to help you... https://www.chathamh...ture-deterrence

This obvious pile on on Sunak and the policy of some sort of military conscription from the usual suspects is quite simply that it?s a Tory policy. Fair play to Mr Smith for offering his opinion though, when some sort of military service is more prevalent than I realised throughout Europe. And as I?ve pointed out many times before I?ve nothing but respect for anyone who serves, never said anything other than that.
East stand second class citizen.

#143 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 01:53 PM

View PostHolmesc1, on 26 May 2024 - 01:48 PM, said:

You?ve had a military career aint you as well as been a physio and god onows what else

Some of us had an education as well!

#144 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 26 May 2024 - 01:59 PM

View PostGoku, on 26 May 2024 - 09:04 AM, said:

National service, wow 😂😂 desperation is the word. No depths they won?t sink to. Tories are done.

But you don?t have to if you don?t want.

#145 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 26 May 2024 - 02:01 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 01:53 PM, said:

Some of us had an education as well!

And what education did you have seen as though you are a expert in multiple areas but refuse to say what it is you so exactly

#146 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 02:55 PM

Whilst I am on a roll regarding facts that need to be addressed at the election:

pension (old age, state pension) has risen from 2% of GDP in early 1950s to more than 7% today. In 50 years, unless something changes, ?1 in every 6 spent - compared to ?1 in every ?8 today - will go on the state pension. how do we resolve that issue - because if it carries on and nothing is done, the few still of working age will have to pay more tax. It wont be long before there are more people claiming old age pension than there are working to pay for them.

And that only covers the state pension. Add in the trillions of debt on public sector old age pensions and it will only exacerbate the problem....

The NHS - with an ageing population and advances in medical care, how will we continue to afford to pay for the NHS in its current form? Can we look to other countries to find a better way of providing - Germany for example, is often quoted as a good system, and uses a mix of public and private insurance based systems. Should we look at something more radical as one thing if for certain, despite the billions thrown at it, the NHS isnt working well and there is massive inefficiency...

Not sure I've heard much about any of this so far, its like we are stuck in a world where the boat is sinking but they are arguing about what music should be playing...

Before anyone says anything I am officially a boomer and retire well before many of you, but the current position might be fine for my later years but the youngsters on here will be wrecked trying to pay enough in taxes to keep the status quo as is...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#147 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 26 May 2024 - 02:57 PM

Maybe the elderly could go litter picking for their state pension

#148 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 03:07 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 26 May 2024 - 01:49 PM, said:

This obvious pile on on Sunak and the policy of some sort of military conscription from the usual suspects is quite simply that it?s a Tory policy. Fair play to Mr Smith for offering his opinion though, when some sort of military service is more prevalent than I realised throughout Europe. And as I?ve pointed out many times before I?ve nothing but respect for anyone who serves, never said anything other than that.

polling seems to have shown that the majority of the public back national service - and this was done before it was a political, party related idea...

https://www.ukonward...tional-service/

To quote for those who dont do links... "New opinion polling commissioned by Onward shows that 57% of British people support national service versus 19% who oppose it. The most popular model included civil and military activities, with 53% more likely to support such a mixed programme. Crucially, three times as many young people support the idea than oppose it. But the majority of people oppose a mandatory scheme, including nearly two-thirds of young people."

Maybe he listened to the people not just some party related "its Tory it must be crap" reaction...

whereas a yougov poll on lowering the voting age had more people voting no than yes...
https://yougov.co.uk...3/05/15/adc55/1

again, done last year before it was a party related matter...result mainly depended on age, those that are old enough to have learned what they didnt know at 16 and old enough to have seen what their 16 year old kids did were unsurprisingly most against it!

View PostGoku, on 26 May 2024 - 02:57 PM, said:

Maybe the elderly could go litter picking for their state pension

very flippant, but how are you going to solve what will be a massive problem? My guess, bury your head and leave it to someone else...as long as today is good...

(one of the UKs biggest issues that affects its growth is that we as a country live too much for today and dont save or invest enough for the future)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#149 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 04:00 PM

View PostHolmesc1, on 26 May 2024 - 02:01 PM, said:

And what education did you have seen as though you are a expert in multiple areas but refuse to say what it is you so exactly

Well I did Primary (where I think you may have ceased), secondary, further and Uni if you really want to know. (I?m only an expert in one thing as it happens)

#150 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 04:28 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 04:00 PM, said:

Well I did Primary (where I think you may have ceased), secondary, further and Uni if you really want to know. (I?m only an expert in one thing as it happens)

Pah, add in a professional qual and two degrees and you can talk about education... still doesnt make what I say any better or more worthy than anyone else's....

;)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#151 User is online   Goku 

Posted 26 May 2024 - 04:42 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 May 2024 - 03:07 PM, said:

polling seems to have shown that the majority of the public back national service - and this was done before it was a political, party related idea...

https://www.ukonward...tional-service/

To quote for those who dont do links... "New opinion polling commissioned by Onward shows that 57% of British people support national service versus 19% who oppose it. The most popular model included civil and military activities, with 53% more likely to support such a mixed programme. Crucially, three times as many young people support the idea than oppose it. But the majority of people oppose a mandatory scheme, including nearly two-thirds of young people."

Maybe he listened to the people not just some party related "its Tory it must be crap" reaction...

whereas a yougov poll on lowering the voting age had more people voting no than yes...
https://yougov.co.uk...3/05/15/adc55/1

again, done last year before it was a party related matter...result mainly depended on age, those that are old enough to have learned what they didnt know at 16 and old enough to have seen what their 16 year old kids did were unsurprisingly most against it!

very flippant, but how are you going to solve what will be a massive problem? My guess, bury your head and leave it to someone else...as long as today is good...

(one of the UKs biggest issues that affects its growth is that we as a country live too much for today and dont save or invest enough for the future)

Haha, it wasn?t actually a reply to your post, I hadn?t seen your post, although it looks like it was. Was in response to the national service stuff. Not for me, that.

#152 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 04:48 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 May 2024 - 04:28 PM, said:

Pah, add in a professional qual and two degrees and you can talk about education... still doesnt make what I say any better or more worthy than anyone else's....

;)

lol too true. Everyone?s an expert on something whether people like it or not

#153 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 05:26 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 04:48 PM, said:

lol too true. Everyone?s an expert on something whether people like it or not

Answering everyone but Mercury?.

As he said?surprise
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#154 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 05:42 PM

View Posts42blue, on 26 May 2024 - 05:26 PM, said:

Answering everyone but Mercury?.

As he said?surprise

Why do you always do this love?

#155 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 05:59 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 05:42 PM, said:

Why do you always do this love?

This?. ?

You espouse opinions as fact, troll, sneer, insult vilify others yet lack cajones when challenged. You spoil the board. Apart from that..
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#156 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 06:03 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 May 2024 - 12:30 PM, said:

I've never heard Mr M direspect military service

added a google link to help you... https://www.chathamh...ture-deterrence

Mr M hasn?t - CPS is making that up.
A new hope.

#157 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 26 May 2024 - 06:19 PM

View Posts42blue, on 26 May 2024 - 05:59 PM, said:

This?. ?

You espouse opinions as fact, troll, sneer, insult vilify others yet lack cajones when challenged. You spoil the board. Apart from that..

I don?t think I do! Admittedly I call out some daft spelling now and again - but I don?t see you condemning the Islamaphobia etc on here or the slagging off of our players or managers etc (which I would never do) or other teams etc.
Offer something bruv

#158 User is online   Goku 

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:12 PM

This comment I saw on Reddit summed the national service sh**e up rather well:

?It will never happen. Fever dreams of a dying administration desperately trying to win the votes of miserable little englanders who happily volunteer other people to do things in life.?

#159 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:37 PM

View PostGoku, on 26 May 2024 - 07:12 PM, said:

?It will never happen. Fever dreams of a dying administration desperately trying to win the votes of miserable little englanders who happily volunteer other people to do things in life.?

Its unlikely they will win to implement it - but at least this idea is borrowing something from other countries that works well. Check how many other successful economies give the vote to 16 year olds...

As s42 said, where are Labour's bold ideas? They are still working on the say little and we cant get it wrong... knowing of course that the more they say the more votes they turn away!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#160 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:38 PM

View PostGoku, on 26 May 2024 - 07:12 PM, said:

Edit it probably won’t happen.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 26 May 2024 - 07:56 PM

East stand second class citizen.

Share this topic:

• (29 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users