Do it then its so easy
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#43 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

I'm on some medication to deal with my Psoriasis and when checking found that i'm not allowed to donate whilst on it or for 3 years after coming off the medication. Apparently what it does can cause issues for women who are pregant or trying to get pregnant. As such i cant donate in case any blood i give went to a woman in either of these situations. Seeing as there is no cure for psoriasis and this medication helps to keep it manageable i'm never going to be in a position to donate it seems.

#44 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

View PostJonB, on 14 March 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

I'm on some medication to deal with my Psoriasis and when checking found that i'm not allowed to donate whilst on it or for 3 years after coming off the medication. Apparently what it does can cause issues for women who are pregant or trying to get pregnant. As such i cant donate in case any blood i give went to a woman in either of these situations. Seeing as there is no cure for psoriasis and this medication helps to keep it manageable i'm never going to be in a position to donate it seems.

Thats different from those who just can't be bothered
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#45 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

New figures show that only 4% of eligible people now donate. 96% relying on just 4%. Shame on every single one of them. What will happen when supply can't meet demand? Who will be the first to die through lack of blood stocks? It will eventually happen. Uproar will surely ensue when rationing happens. Stop making stupid excuses for why you won't donate. Why are you all so squeamish? It is your patriotic duty to donate. While sitting on your harris please keep your fingers crossed that there will be blood available should you, your wife, family members or worse your children ever need it

This post has been edited by fishini: 18 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#46 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

View Postfishini, on 18 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

New figures show that only 4% of eligible people now donate. 96% relying on just 4%. Shame on every single one of them. What will happen when supply can't meet demand? Who will be the first to die through lack of blood stocks? It will eventually happen. Uproar will surely ensue when rationing happens. Stop making stupid excuses for why you won't donate. Why are you all so squeamish? It is your patriotic duty to donate. While sitting on your harris please keep your fingers crossed that there will be blood available should you, your wife, family members or worse your children ever need it

Will it ever happen though? Are the 4% who donate blood meeting demands? Is there a surplus? How long does blood last?
Every need got an ego to feed

#47 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

View PostHeavy_Soul, on 18 March 2017 - 10:34 PM, said:

Will it ever happen though? Are the 4% who donate blood meeting demands? Is there a surplus? How long does blood last?

The number of new donors required has fallen 40% since 2011.
Red cells 35 day shelf life
Platelets 7 day shelf life
Plasma 3 years.
Used to be 5% so how long before 4% becomes 3%?
Basically 96% of eligible people cant be bothered and are too selfish to give up 2hrs of their precious time once every 4 months.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#48 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

It's a fair point. And tbh it's not even about whether there's enough stock etc it's also about the intent and showing that you're a compassionate person by going and donating. I've donated a few times before but not for the past year and a half ish which I know is garbage so I'm going to go a lot more frequently from now on.

#49 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostGoku, on 19 March 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

It's a fair point. And tbh it's not even about whether there's enough stock etc it's also about the intent and showing that you're a compassionate person by going and donating. I've donated a few times before but not for the past year and a half ish which I know is garbage so I'm going to go a lot more frequently from now on.

No problem with the likes of you. Anyone who has done it at all are OK by me. It's those people who offer stupid excuses that annoy me. I'm frightened of needles, can't look at blood, don't have time, I have to travel to donate. Etc etc pathetic excuses from squeamish selfish people who will be the first to moan if one day the supply dries up and it will.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#50 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

National Blood Week started today. Go on make an appointment and save a life. You know you want to. Log onto the National Blood Service or call
0300 123 23 23 to make an appointment. It's so easy. Other than medical reasons I have yet to hear a valid excuse given why anyone cannot donate. This year alone 200 000 new donors are required to maintain the present level of stocks. 900 000 donors out of 40 000 000 eligible people is shameful
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#51 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

View Postfishini, on 19 June 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

National Blood Week started today. Go on make an appointment and save a life. You know you want to. Log onto the National Blood Service or call
0300 123 23 23 to make an appointment. It's so easy. Other than medical reasons I have yet to hear a valid excuse given why anyone cannot donate. This year alone 200 000 new donors are required to maintain the present level of stocks. 900 000 donors out of 40 000 000 eligible people is shameful

booked, cheers for the reminder

#52 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostGoku, on 20 June 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

booked, cheers for the reminder

You are welcome and well done. Just a pity I can't convince the others on here to give a little of their precious time up to save a life. Let's hope the supplies are there should they ever need it
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#53 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

I'm gutted that I'm back to being 5 years until I can donate again as I'm currently having a sarcoidosis flair up. I'd got it down to 3.5 years, but you have to wait 5 years after a flair up.

#54 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

Only just seen this thread.
I can't donate due to the tablets I take.
My dad got gold badges, did platelet donations in Sheffield and got certificates galore. I'm proud to say he covered my inability to donate.
This topic crossed my mind a few weeks ago. I played at a music festival in London the same night as the borough market attack. We didn't know anything of it until we wandered back to the hotel only a couple of miles away, after hearing he controlled explosion and getting an idea of the seriousness of the situation, I noticed Facebook asking me to mark myself as safe. When you do that you see thousands of offers of help, people offering shelter, clothes, and blood. People offering various blood types at 2am on a Sunday morning when it's too late to be useful. That really annoyed me. A few people were pointing them to the donation sites but, if they can help at 2am, they could have spared some time in the months before.
If you can. please donate before it's needed rather than after.

#55 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostDenny, on 20 June 2017 - 10:52 PM, said:

Only just seen this thread.
I can't donate due to the tablets I take.
My dad got gold badges, did platelet donations in Sheffield and got certificates galore. I'm proud to say he covered my inability to donate.
This topic crossed my mind a few weeks ago. I played at a music festival in London the same night as the borough market attack. We didn't know anything of it until we wandered back to the hotel only a couple of miles away, after hearing he controlled explosion and getting an idea of the seriousness of the situation, I noticed Facebook asking me to mark myself as safe. When you do that you see thousands of offers of help, people offering shelter, clothes, and blood. People offering various blood types at 2am on a Sunday morning when it's too late to be useful. That really annoyed me. A few people were pointing them to the donation sites but, if they can help at 2am, they could have spared some time in the months before.
If you can. please donate before it's needed rather than after.

No problem Mr D you are not able to and that is OK. Give your Dad a big well done from me. Does he realize how many lives he has saved or improved?Tried a few times donating platelets but my vein kept collapsing just before the donation was complete. So I went back to donating blood. You can't do both. I just wish people would realize just how important the service is and how easy and painless it is to donate. I cannot understand why most people wouldn't want to save lives or give a valid reason outside medical reasons why they won't
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#56 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that makes me smile.

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

It is not intentional to sound dim but, if you have hypertension and receive treatment for this are you still OK to donate?

#57 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 22 June 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

It is not intentional to sound dim but, if you have hypertension and receive treatment for this are you still OK to donate?

just had a look on their website: https://www.blood.co...can-give-blood/
https://my.blood.co....dgebase/Index/H

Hypertension : Blood Pressure - High

You may donate as long as:

EITHER you are being regularly assessed for high blood pressure but treatment has not yet been commenced OR you have been taking the same dose of the same medication for 4 weeks or more and feel fit and well and in either case you also meet the following guidelines:

You are not under investigations
You have not suffered from heart failure
You are not under investigation, on treatment or under follow up for renal (kidney) impairment
You have not had amputation or blood vessel surgery
You have never had gangrene
You have no problems with fainting, feeling faint or giddiness

Please always mention medication you are taking to the staff at session.

#58 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that makes me smile.

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

View PostDenny, on 22 June 2017 - 11:56 AM, said:

Cheers Denny I'm alright then so have to look this up now.

You joining us this season on Sunday nights?

#59 User is offline   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

View Postfishini, on 18 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

I used to donate years ago but a few years ago I had cancer, does that rule me out now?

#60 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

View Posttrickytrevsfanclub, on 05 July 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

I used to donate years ago but a few years ago I had cancer, does that rule me out now?

Sorry to hear that but I'm afraid yes
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

Share this topic:

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users