Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Genuine Question. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Genuine Question.

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Should we be nailing Cook down on a longer contract?

Bearing in mind what happened with Sheridan, of course.

Me? I wouldn't have a problem with that, as my gut feeling is we now have a manager who possesses a genuine talent for attracting talent - without chucking silly contracts around - allied to a long-term vision for CFC.

Not to mention a humble, fan-friendly appreciation of the club that offered him an opportunity to manage at higher levels.

I went on record as being uncomfortable with the Bowels dissuading, four years handed to JS. If we were to replicate that deal to Cook, I'd probably celebrate.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   Martyg 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

How long has he got left? Isn't it till end of next season?
It's not sticking!!!

#3 User is online   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

Lets get this season over with first I reckon

He has certainly brought a genuine passion & excitement back to the fans & whole town...long may it continue

This post has been edited by Waller is my hero: 31 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

#4 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Sheridan was a chancer who played players out of position,cook plays players in their best positions regardless of ability he needs to be long term
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#5 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

I think the board will look at his contract like they do a player - do the business and you earn an extension in good time.

He will attract attention, but if you're at a successful club, on the up, have the players of your choice, the coaching staff of your choice and the backing of the chairman, why would you want to look around so soon?

I sense a loyalty in the gaffer in that he would wouldn't walk away from a club that gave him a chance to move up a few rungs on the ladder.

#6 User is offline   Martyg 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Think cook loves it here, he has been giving almost a free roll to do what he wants. The fans love him and he has never had support like this before in his career. Can see him being here for some time
It's not sticking!!!

#7 User is offline   Spireite in Essex 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 31 August 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Me? I wouldn't have a problem with that, as my gut feeling is we now have a manager who possesses a genuine talent for attracting talent - without chucking silly contracts around - allied to a long-term vision for CFC.

Not to mention a humble, fan-friendly appreciation of the club that offered him an opportunity to manage at higher levels.

I went on record as being uncomfortable with the Bowels dissuading, four years handed to JS. If we were to replicate that deal to Cook, I'd probably celebrate.

I think Cookie is a breath of fresh air, his man management, his style of play and his pure passion for our club and getting success. He's also attracted (with the help of Chris Turner and Dave Allen) some great talent and some players who should be playing at least a division above L2. My gut instinct is yes maybe another year however my sensible head says we've achieved nothing yet, we're only 5 games in. I think Cookie too is very grounded. Don't get me wrong I'm just trying to be sensible but I love the guy.

I can't help but be excited for Cookie the whole team and fellow supporters. He's got the club buzzing again and truly got the feel good factor back into the town. Look at what he did down at Pompey with spare tickets today, gave them out to town fans. What an awesome guy

#8 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

The gold standard of contract re-negotiation for Cook would be promotion (however achieved). If the team performs well but ultimately falls short, I might still agree with extending his deal, but by 2 in that instance, not 4.

Baz
God is not obliged to keep the promises of mankind

#9 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Regardless how good a manager we all know how good he is.What impresses me most is when he talks about other teams and managers he always talks about them with utmost respect. I have yet to hear him bad mouth anyone. He comes across as a very confident, strict, level headed man who possesses a lot of humility
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#10 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostBrimington Barry, on 31 August 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

The gold standard of contract re-negotiation for Cook would be promotion (however achieved). If the team performs well but ultimately falls short, I might still agree with extending his deal, but by 2 in that instance, not 4.

Baz

Where's the Newcastle Chairman when you want him to hand contracts out to managers
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#11 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

View Postfishini, on 31 August 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

Regardless how good a manager we all know how good he is.What impresses me most is when he talks about other teams and managers he always talks about them with utmost respect. I have yet to hear him bad mouth anyone. He comes across as a very confident, strict, level headed man who possesses a lot of humility

So unlike those in other leagues, but it keeps the Sunday media employed.

Baz

#12 User is offline   Brimington Barry 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postborn in 1866, on 31 August 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Where's the Newcastle Chairman when you want him to hand contracts out to managers

i had to look that up; 8 years; can't see DA doing that TBH.

Baz

#13 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

I hear you Chris, but the head tells me, let's get the job done first before discussing any extension. Come May we'll know how good PC is & if he's delivered promotion, he'll be in a much stronger position than he is now.

For all we know, we may well have the option to extend following promotion.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users