• You cannot reply to this topic

National League

#641 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 15 June 2020 - 09:03 AM, said:

I really cant see our league starting til they can have fans in.

I don't think we will have a choice, even if it isn't good long term. With the FL threatening to cut off the NL/restructure then I think the NL will have their hand forced.

I did read 12/9 is the target date with 50% of seated capacity and 25% of standing being utilised. Good news if true..

#642 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 15 June 2020 - 07:29 AM, said:

So, to pull together hundreds of posts on this and other threads we've no idea when we'll re-start, no idea what division we'll be in, no idea who we'll be playing, no idea who'll be playing for us, no idea how many punters can watch them and no idea who'll be in charge.

Okay, that's cleared that up, then...

Don't worry, Ashley's fortnightly news bulletin will be out any day now.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#643 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

View Postdim view, on 15 June 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

Don't worry, Ashley's fortnightly news bulletin will be out any day now.

Nick'll be writing it right now, I'd imagine....

#644 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:05 PM

Now looking like they may have play offs for North and South divisions :-

David Ward @thecrescent78
BREAKING: I’m hearing play-offs will now take place in both National North and South if the resolution gets passed by clubs. Expect papers to be sent out tomorrow. Clubs will have to pay for tests etc themselves. Minimum of four clubs would be required for play-offs. I think they have all six in National South and in National North, York, Boston, Altrincham and Chester have already suggested they would take part #ycfc #promote2

#645 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:40 PM

Would that mean 3 or 4 relegated from NL?

#646 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 15 June 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

Would that mean 3 or 4 relegated from NL?

3 presumably.

Decent info from journo covering it on twitter - https://twitter.com/ThomasFeaheny

#647 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:39 PM

View PostJonB, on 15 June 2020 - 02:05 PM, said:

BREAKING: I'm hearing play-offs will now take place in both National North and South if the resolution gets passed by clubs. Expect papers to be sent out tomorrow. Clubs will have to pay for tests etc themselves. Minimum of four clubs would be required for play-offs. I think they have all six in National South and in National North, York, Boston, Altrincham and Chester have already suggested they would take part #ycfc #promote2

View PostJonB, on 15 June 2020 - 02:05 PM, said:

BREAKING: I'm hearing play-offs will now take place in both National North and South if the resolution gets passed by clubs. Expect papers to be sent out tomorrow. Clubs will have to pay for tests etc themselves. Minimum of four clubs would be required for play-offs. I think they have all six in National South and in National North, York, Boston, Altrincham and Chester have already suggested they would take part #ycfc #promote2

That would explain why the AFC Fydle chairman called a meeting with other teams near the bottom as this could mean AFC Fylde relegated
Have passport will travel

#648 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:15 PM

If the season isnt voided, as seems the case, is there a good reason why Fylde should escape the drop?

#649 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:16 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 16 June 2020 - 06:15 PM, said:

If the season isnt voided, as seems the case, is there a good reason why Fylde should escape the drop?

Whichever way league positions are decided for this season there is an argument which says it isn't fair. The points per game method favours teams who accumulated points early in the season but before curtailment were in poor form whilst it works against those teams who were in better form later in the season but started off poorly. Barnet have benefited just by not playing as many games as other teams but if a team has a mass of games to play towards the end of a season they could suffer fitness wise etc.

Since Bury's demise I have always thought that only 3 teams would be relegated this season but the NL have never actually stated this. It seems now though, by default, that will be the case unless a few Clubs fail financially.

However, legal challenges are being lined up by teams relegated, I believe under the points per game method, in Scotland and I can possibly see similar actions in this country.

#650 User is offline   erniemossity 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Beer, town, decent boozers

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:20 AM

View Postdtp, on 16 June 2020 - 07:16 PM, said:

Whichever way league positions are decided for this season there is an argument which says it isn't fair. The points per game method favours teams who accumulated points early in the season but before curtailment were in poor form whilst it works against those teams who were in better form later in the season but started off poorly. Barnet have benefited just by not playing as many games as other teams but if a team has a mass of games to play towards the end of a season they could suffer fitness wise etc.

Since Bury's demise I have always thought that only 3 teams would be relegated this season but the NL have never actually stated this. It seems now though, by default, that will be the case unless a few Clubs fail financially.

However, legal challenges are being lined up by teams relegated, I believe under the points per game method, in Scotland and I can possibly see similar actions in this country.

I know this is a very unusual situation football finds itself in, but I'm surprised there isn't a clause in the rules somewhere that covers a 'calamitous' situation, eg act of God, war, etc that curtails a season. Pretty sure that there will be from next season and that would stop any arguments, legal challenges.

#651 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:36 AM

View Postdtp, on 16 June 2020 - 07:16 PM, said:

I’ve been following the Scottish situation quite closely, because I love Scottish football, and it is a mess. Hearts, Stranraer and Partick Thistle have been relegated, after league reconstruction failed to gain the backing of enough clubs.
Stranraer were well adrift and Partick, though they could have overtaken second-bottom Queen of the South, graciously accepted that any team employing Gary Caldwell deserves relegation.
Hearts have whinged, tried everything to make reconstruction stick so as they remain in the top flight, including the carrot of a rich backer pumping money into the league. The other clubs have said a final ‘No’, leaving them relegated and now commencing legal action which is set to make them even more unpopular among clubs seeking the certainty on which to make plans.
These go to eleven.

#652 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:33 AM

I believe Partick initially said they would take relegation on the chin, get on with things as it was better for the league than a costly legal battle etc. Then when someone gives them some cash to pay for the legal battle they want to pursue it!!

Gone from saying this:-
https://www.glasgowt...al-action-spfl/

To this :-
https://www.bbc.co.u...otball/53062895

Be interesting to see where this funding has come from all of a sudden....

#653 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 17 June 2020 - 08:36 AM, said:

I’ve been following the Scottish situation quite closely, because I love Scottish football, and it is a mess. Hearts, Stranraer and Partick Thistle have been relegated, after league reconstruction failed to gain the backing of enough clubs.
Stranraer were well adrift and Partick, though they could have overtaken second-bottom Queen of the South, graciously accepted that any team employing Gary Caldwell deserves relegation.
Hearts have whinged, tried everything to make reconstruction stick so as they remain in the top flight, including the carrot of a rich backer pumping money into the league. The other clubs have said a final ‘No’, leaving them relegated and now commencing legal action which is set to make them even more unpopular among clubs seeking the certainty on which to make plans.

Putting the 'Caldwell Regret' to one side, I feel a lot for Thistle on this one, which really shows what a blunt tool points-per-game is in this situation. I used to go and watch QoS a lot and have a big soft spot for them. I look out for their scores every week and will go back to watch them again one day. They had been in atrocious form for weeks and I was waiting for them to hit bottom of the league imminently. A basic points-per-game can't take momentum into account, and QoS massively got out of jail on this one.

#654 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:21 PM

View PostJonB, on 17 June 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

I believe Partick initially said they would take relegation on the chin, get on with things as it was better for the league than a costly legal battle etc. Then when someone gives them some cash to pay for the legal battle they want to pursue it!!

Gone from saying this:-
https://www.glasgowt...al-action-spfl/

To this :-
https://www.bbc.co.u...otball/53062895

Be interesting to see where this funding has come from all of a sudden....

That is an interesting development which I hadn’t caught up with yet, but my current view of the entire world is formed by podcasts which have been recorded some time earlier than the present.
James Anderson will be the source of the funds for the legal challenge, then. I wish he would just drop it.
These go to eleven.

#655 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

Vote result out Play offs in all divisions

#656 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:23 PM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 17 June 2020 - 11:46 AM, said:

Putting the 'Caldwell Regret' to one side, I feel a lot for Thistle on this one, which really shows what a blunt tool points-per-game is in this situation. I used to go and watch QoS a lot and have a big soft spot for them. I look out for their scores every week and will go back to watch them again one day. They had been in atrocious form for weeks and I was waiting for them to hit bottom of the league imminently. A basic points-per-game can't take momentum into account, and QoS massively got out of jail on this one.

I was in Dumfries in summer and visited the ground/cafe/shop/training complex but couldn’t catch a match. I think I’d have fallen heavily for QoS if it hadn’t been for the artificial pitch.
These go to eleven.

#657 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:44 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 17 June 2020 - 06:23 PM, said:

I was in Dumfries in summer and visited the ground/cafe/shop/training complex but couldn’t catch a match. I think I’d have fallen heavily for QoS if it hadn’t been for the artificial pitch.

Ooh, they didn't have that in my day. The ground was similar to Saltergate in layout and they did superb macaroni cheese pies. They always got about 1200 and there was no atmosphere. I'm very fond of them

#658 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:41 PM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 17 June 2020 - 06:44 PM, said:

Ooh, they didn't have that in my day. The ground was similar to Saltergate in layout and they did superb macaroni cheese pies. They always got about 1200 and there was no atmosphere. I'm very fond of them

I like Ayr United for similar reasons. Somerset Park reminds me of Saltergate. Both have/had Leitch-designed Main Stands.
These go to eleven.

#659 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:01 PM

Macclesfield deducted two points with further four suspended for their fun and games this season...means they stay above Stevenage who will be relegated.

#660 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:48 PM

So, next season, if it happens, will see us face Wealdstone and King's Lynn. I hope the away matches are not behind closed doors as I particularly fancy a day in a picturesque Hanseatic town with a small gene pool.
The Non-League Football Show have just interviewed the managers of each and Wealdstone seem quite confident of their chances at our level, a silver lining of lockdown having apparently been that league clubs poised to take their best players can no longer afford to offer them contracts. King's Lynn seemed a touch less confident, will definitely remain part-time and seem as though they would be delighted just to stay up.
These go to eleven.

Share this topic:

• (34 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users