• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Defence Rests Your Honour

#1 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:32 PM

....well it seems like they're taking a rest!

Seriously tho, this really need addressing at the end of the season. Maybe even needs serious work next training session - seeing as Grimes and Williams are here next term.
I've really reined it in as the result is still hanging there, but we aint showing 'championship' form at all and haven't for the last few games.

Ebbsfleet - played well but we should be pushing them aside.

Bromley - pure shocking defending and nowt to do with a pitch

Rochdale - at 2-0 we don't put it to bed and with more shocking defending.

Forget a promotion push next season with how we defend / with our current defence.
I know we are 20 points clear blah blah blah
But it's a real eye opener how we get opened up quite easily - not mentioning the first 2 mins of today's game as well.

#2 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:41 PM

I think the wins over Portsmouth and Leyton Orient in the cup have convinced a lot we will walk the league above, we won’t sadly.

Look at the hash Wrexham are making of it with the millions thrown at the squad. Notts have also fallen away.

We’ve been in this league 6 years and it looks like we will be getting out. I want a squad building with a defence that never ever looks like returning to this god forsaken cesspit of a league.

Work to do over the summer, but a massive reality check these last 3 games.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#3 User is offline   Painted Wagon 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:44 PM

We’re not out of this league yet

#4 User is offline   Dougspireite78 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:48 PM

If we don't improve the difference and go with what we've got more will be straight back down. It's ok trying to outscore every team but next season the opposition defences will be better meaning we will score less yes the attackers will be streets ahead of what we are facing now. Cook needs to do a total rebuild in the summer.

#5 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:52 PM

View PostDougspireite78, on 24 February 2024 - 05:48 PM, said:

If we don't improve the difference and go with what we've got more will be straight back down. It's ok trying to outscore every team but next season the opposition defences will be better meaning we will score less yes the attackers will be streets ahead of what we are facing now. Cook needs to do a total rebuild in the summer.

Just like that. Hope there's a magic money tree.

#6 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 05:55 PM

Our defence has been shaky at times all season, remember all the 4-3s/3-2s etc in the first few months. It’s still our Achilles heel if you can call it that, sure it will be addressed in the summer so I’m not concerned

#7 User is offline   Nickycw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:02 PM

Working on the assumption King, Clements and Palmer don’t get new deals, we’ll need to replace them. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t three first choice replacements, with the likes of Horton, Williams and Shecks as 2nd choice. Admittedly pure guesswork at this stage though!

#8 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:06 PM

Some of our defensive frailty has to lay at cook's door. Why does he persist in playing a high line?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#9 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:14 PM

View PostCFC91, on 24 February 2024 - 05:55 PM, said:

Our defence has been shaky at times all season, remember all the 4-3s/3-2s etc in the first few months. It’s still our Achilles heel if you can call it that, sure it will be addressed in the summer so I’m not concerned

I must say that I thought it would be addressed this season and was more than a little surprised when we started with what we had,so it was no surprise when we had the problems we had, seemed to be addressed for a while but now and for several previous games we have looked (and been) very vulnerable.We also look to be lacking the good movement off the ball we had earlier in the season causing a slow down every time we have the ball.Still prefer Clements to Horton, especially defensively.
I am also waiting for the first numpty to tell me how good the referee was today!!!!

#10 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:34 PM

View PostHaslandBlue58, on 24 February 2024 - 06:14 PM, said:

I must say that I thought it would be addressed this season and was more than a little surprised when we started with what we had,so it was no surprise when we had the problems we had, seemed to be addressed for a while but now and for several previous games we have looked (and been) very vulnerable.We also look to be lacking the good movement off the ball we had earlier in the season causing a slow down every time we have the ball.Still prefer Clements to Horton, especially defensively.
I am also waiting for the first numpty to tell me how good the referee was today!!!!

We are certainly missing colclough and berry down the left. Plus shecks doesn't create down the right. King does
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#11 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:45 PM

You do realise most of the contracts are sorted, we probs have room for 4 maybe 5 additions and at least 1 of them needs to be a striker, even PC knows we only have 2 to choose from, so deffo another coming in...
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#12 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 24 February 2024 - 07:14 PM

Your totally exaggerating a total rebuild , I agree defensively but the rest of the team I'm happy with especially when Colclough and Berry are back fully fit.

#13 User is offline   paulwardle 

• PMW
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 07:38 PM

Problem today was midfield all too high most of the time leaving our defense open to counter attacks.

Great attacking play especially in the second half but we are often too slow in first half of games.

This post has been edited by paulwardle: 24 February 2024 - 07:40 PM

#14 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 07:42 PM

We need better full backs next season, without a doubt.

#15 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 07:48 PM

fishini said:

1708797992[/url]' post='1805724']
Some of our defensive frailty has to lay at cook's door. Why does he persist in playing a high line?

He’s had enough money to sort it out. No excuse in my opinion, without even talking about defensive tactics which have been mostly absent he needs to be able to adapt during a match which frankly I haven’t seen at all this season and he seems unwilling or rather incapable of changing the way we manage games.

You can throw lots of money on signings but it has to work in the long term and that’s where the management team is supposed to earn their money.

I don’t doubt his honesty but his ability to take us higher on what I’ve seen in terms of team selection when it really counts is up for debate. Defensive frailties are there for all to seen and this isn’t necessarily down to individuals but tactics

#16 User is offline   Fact Checker 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:22 PM

View PostCum on u blues, on 24 February 2024 - 07:48 PM, said:

He’s had enough money to sort it out. No excuse in my opinion, without even talking about defensive tactics which have been mostly absent he needs to be able to adapt during a match which frankly I haven’t seen at all this season and he seems unwilling or rather incapable of changing the way we manage games.

You can throw lots of money on signings but it has to work in the long term and that’s where the management team is supposed to earn their money.

I don’t doubt his honesty but his ability to take us higher on what I’ve seen in terms of team selection when it really counts is up for debate. Defensive frailties are there for all to seen and this isn’t necessarily down to individuals but tactics

With all due respect, you literally have the footballing IQ of a toad.

#17 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:24 PM

If we took our chances we wouldn't need to worry about shipping 2 today, same at bromley and against ebbsfleet,.. its a wobble even if the management won't call it one..
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#18 User is offline   Spireiteranger 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:31 PM

Seriously? You doubt cooks credentials despite him taking not only this team up but previously having done it and not only us but pompey etc too????

#19 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:32 PM

I think you've got something with this.
If we boil it down, we are operating with a small squad because:
a) we are in non league and the subs bench is limited to 5
b) Cook likes a smallish squad so its easier to manage
c) budget

Tactics wise, we look good going forward and rough defending.
I think we got enough points in the bank early doors before teams (even those nearer the bottom of the table) figured us out.
Maybe Cook has thought that this would see us through and promoted and that he and his team have a different plan/ set of tactics to conquer L2 - let's hope so.
I'm sure with a few astute signings, we should be OK.
I trust Cook and his team to get it right. Its annoying that our Achilles Heel is so plainly obvious. Let hope he tightens it up

View Postspireitetoo, on 24 February 2024 - 08:24 PM, said:

If we took our chances we wouldn't need to worry about shipping 2 today, same at bromley and against ebbsfleet,.. its a wobble even if the management won't call it one..

If Rochdale had done the same, they would have been 2 up in 10 mins

#20 User is offline   peakblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2024 - 08:43 PM

Really feel the changes of the team every game is having an effect
I expected it whilst in cup competitions,but we’re out of all cup competitions now so no need

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users