Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Rough With The Smooth. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Rough With The Smooth.

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

Started off four-one-four-one, Morsy in front of a defence including O'Neil at RB (played out of position again due to early season injuries/lack of alternative options) then Banks accompanying O'Shea behind Novak. Gardner and the recalled Ariyibi either side of them. I'm gonna say it: Ebanks-Blake has obvious pedigree yet often appears static, wanting ball-to-feet all the time. Novak seems more mobile and comfortable with higher balls. An opportunity for the Brum loanee to impress.

Play ebbed between either side, Town arguably enjoying more possession yet Wigan carved out the clear-cut chances. Evatt colossal, gratitude for Hird's positional senses and only Tommy Lee's point-blank saves preventing us going behind. On the other hand the Ref pulled play back when Gardner twisted and turned his way into the box before being fouled therein. The official bottled it.

O'Neil goes down late in the half. Walks off but that's another promising recruit sidelined. Cook was fortunate in terms of injuries; Saunders has had no luck whatsoever (though is it true Martinez didn't undergo a rigorous examination after all, as rumours suggest? And whose decision was it to award a new deal to Talbot? An element of panic involved, maybe?).

Second half four-two-three-one; Hird RB, (the hugely impressive) Raglan CB and Banks 'sitting' with the previously harassed Morsy. Town tangibly on top, a fact not altered when the battered and bruised Novak is replaced by Gnanduillet. Craig Davies scoops over from close range then Gardner fires one into the top right corner from more than twenty yards. Wow - get in there! More Town pressure - infact we're full of confidence - resulting in a terrific cross being headed into the goal by a Wigan defender. Surely this is only gonna end one way against an outfit bereft of results and purpose?

Wigan score from nowt, really, just as Saunders is calling the veteran Humphreys from his warm-up routine (hey - it was in front of where I sit so I know what I'm talking about!). The well respected Chairman of the PFA entered the game replacing Ariyibi who'd been leading the visitor's defence a merry dance. Now let's be clear: if he'd have come on in a holding role instead of Banks I could kinda understand it; but a pedestrian thirty eight year old left footer on the right wing? After our American youngster had been keeping two opposing players quiet with his trickery? Big mistake.

Wigan had the momentum, and the threat which resulted in their penno closely followed by their winning goal came down that side of the field. I don't blame Humphreys, I blame the manager who placed him in that position.

Dean Saunders has to accept the rough with the smooth. You've got some things right over the last few weeks, Dean, but today you got things wrong.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 05 September 2015 - 07:50 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 05 September 2015 - 07:45 PM, said:

Started off four-one-four-one, Morsy in front of a defence including O'Neil at RB (played out of position again due to early season injuries/lack of alternative options) then Banks accompanying O'Shea behind Novak. Gardner and the recalled Ariyibi either side of them. I'm gonna say it: Ebanks-Blake has obvious pedigree yet often appears static, wanting ball-to-feet all the time. Novak seems more mobile and comfortable with higher balls. An opportunity for the Brum loanee to impress.

Play ebbed between either side, Town arguably enjoying more possession yet Wigan carved out the clear-cut chances. Evatt colossal, gratitude for Hird's positional senses and only Tommy Lee's point-blank saves preventing us going behind. On the other hand the Ref pulled play back when Gardner twisted and turned his way into the box before being fouled therein. The official bottled it.

O'Neil goes down late in the half. Walks off but that's another promising recruit sidelined. Cook was fortunate in terms of injuries; Saunders has had no luck whatsoever (though is it true Martinez didn't undergo a rigorous examination after all, as rumours suggest? And whose decision was it to award a new deal to Talbot? An element of panic involved, maybe?).

Second half four-two-three-one; Hird RB, Raglan CB and Banks 'sitting' with the previously harassed Morsy. Town tangibly on top, a fact not altered when the battered and bruised Novak is replaced by Gnanduillet. Craig Davies scoops over from close range then Gardner fires one into the top right corner from more than twenty yards. Wow - get in there! More Town pressure - infact we're full of confidence - resulting in a terrific cross being headed into the goal by a Wigan defender. Surely this is only gonna end one way against an outfit bereft of results and purpose?

Wigan score from nowt, really, just as Saunders is calling the veteran Humphreys from his warm-up routine (hey - it was in front of where I sit so I know what I'm talking about!). The well respected Chairman of the PFA entered the game replacing Ariyibi who'd been leading the visitor's defence a merry dance. Now let's be clear: if he'd have come on in a holding role instead of Banks I could kinda understand it; but a pedestrian thirty eight year old left footer on the right wing? After our American youngster had been keeping two opposing players quiet with his trickery? Big mistake.

Wigan had the momentum, and the threat which resulted in their penno closely followed by their winning goal came down that side of the field. I don't blame Humphreys, I blame the manager who placed him in that position.

Dean Saunders has to accept the rough with the smooth. You've got some things right over the last few weeks, Dean, but today you got things wrong.

Pretty much as I saw it Chris. If the humph was to be introduced to shore things up then sit him central and maybe bring oshea out wide?? Or leave GA on?
Credit today to two much maligned individuals though. Gardner - best game in a town shirt for me, and Banks ( did you see Saunders continually encouraging him to play ten yards further forward?) who's passing was excellent .
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#3 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:10 PM

Second half four-two-three-one; Hird RB, (the hugely impressive) Raglan CB and Banks 'sitting' with the previously harassed Morsy.

Well, not often I disagree, but imo Raglan was far from impressive admittedly against quality opposition. Moving Hird out because we had no RB on the bench made us much weaker.

Ariyibi did not lead the visitor's defence a merry dance after MacCann came on - the key tactical change. They were creating 3 against 1 situations down the left because Gboly didn't track back. That's why Ritchie came on, as a man to man marker. The plan didn't work,
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#4 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:14 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 05 September 2015 - 07:54 PM, said:

Pretty much as I saw it Chris. If the humph was to be introduced to shore things up then sit him central and maybe bring oshea out wide?? Or leave GA on?
Credit today to two much maligned individuals though. Gardner - best game in a town shirt for me, and Banks ( did you see Saunders continually encouraging him to play ten yards further forward?) who's passing was excellent .

Agreed.

Gardner seems to be benefitting from game time whilst if Banks has a future, it's as a play-maker.

I actually thought there was a lot to applaud today: Evatt's domination, Hird's positioning, Raglan's cool tackling, Lee's saves and Ariyibi's mercurial running.

Gutted, but all is not lost.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#5 User is offline   BlueRover52 

• If it aint broke don't fix it!

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

:rolleyes: Two decisions changed the game.Taking Gboly of by us and them introducing Kellett.
Many a good tune

#6 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

View PostBlueRover52, on 05 September 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

:rolleyes: Two decisions changed the game.Taking Gboly of by us and them introducing Kellett.

The ref made two as well (apart from a reluctance to give fouls, or cards, against an ex premiership outfit) he refused us a penalty and he gave them one.

#7 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

One of those games were a better side comes and does a job, it happens. They llooked good at times and as the season goes on they'll be up there with the best of them. We won't be, more than evident today that we have no strength in depth. Time to move in the loan market.

#8 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 05 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 05 September 2015 - 08:14 PM, said:

Agreed.

Gardner seems to be benefitting from game time whilst if Banks has a future, it's as a play-maker.

I actually thought there was a lot to applaud today: Evatt's domination, Hird's positioning, Raglan's cool tackling, Lee's saves and Ariyibi's mercurial running.

Gutted, but all is not lost.

I reckon if we had held on to a 2-1 win we'd be creaming ourselves tonight

There was a lot to be encouraged about given out injury issues and squad size. You look down that squad list in the program and wonder how many of those are seriously challenging for a match day squad position
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#9 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:42 PM

Second half four-two-three-one; Hird RB, (the hugely impressive) Raglan CB and Banks 'sitting' with the previously harassed Morsy. Town tangibly on top, a fact not altered when the battered and bruised Novak is replaced by Gnanduillet. Craig Davies scoops over from close range then Gardner fires one into the top right corner from more than twenty yards. Wow - get in there! More Town pressure - infact we're full of confidence - resulting in a terrific cross being headed into the goal by a Wigan defender. Surely this is only gonna end one way against an outfit bereft of results and purpose?

Good summing up again, maestro, but we had Tommy to thank for keeping us in it. The big surprise for me was that they didn't attack our right side as soon as O'Neill went off. Hird did very well at RB, but they didn't have a left wing until the speedy kid came on near the end and changed the game. When that happened the right tactic, with hindsight, would have been to keep Ariyibi on, 'cos he was taking two of their men out of the equation, but shoring up our right with another player was obviously desirable. Trouble is, we hadn't got another right back, so poor old Richie Humphrey got the gig. Might have been a better option to move Dan Jones over, but, as many have said, the problem is basically a shortage of players.
But even with our top striker out, second choice striker off injured, our first option in midfield out, and a very cobbled together defence, we were looking comfortable and beating one of the top sides in the division.
Horribly deflating result, but let's not lose sight of the fact that our squad, without the injuries, is close to a seriously good team. All that's lacking is luck - we need to make up for it with a couple of brilliant loan signings.

#10 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:00 PM

View Posth again, on 05 September 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

Hird did very well at RB, but they didn't have a left wing until the speedy kid came on near the end and changed the game. When that happened the right tactic, with hindsight, would have been to keep Ariyibi on, 'cos he was taking two of their men out of the equation, but shoring up our right with another player was obviously desirable.

Evening.
But it didn't happen like that. The manager would not have changed tactics if Gboly was continuing to take two men out. That would be daft. Their speedy kid changed the game, largely due to immense help from MacCann, because Gboly had stopped taking two men out. The manager had two options - get Gboly to do some defensive work, or replace him with somebody who might do it better.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#11 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:09 PM

View Postdim view, on 05 September 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

Evening.
But it didn't happen like that. The manager would not have changed tactics if Gboly was continuing to take two men out. That would be daft. Their speedy kid changed the game, largely due to immense help from MacCann, because Gboly had stopped taking two men out. The manager had two options - get Gboly to do some defensive work, or replace him with somebody who might do it better.

One thing for sure if we could go back in time he wouldn't make the same decisions he did

#12 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 06 September 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

One thing for sure if we could go back in time he wouldn't make the same decisions he did

Of course he would. It's only hindsight that makes you think different, if we went back in time none of us would have the benefit of that

Gboly had one of his least effective games, not surprising as he would have missed all the pre match preparation. It is also conceivable that the USA only agreed to release him for the game if we gave him an hour or so and not the full 90. In normal circumstances he would have been unavailable for the whole game so such a compromise would have been attractive.

#13 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostBeelzebub, on 06 September 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Of course he would. It's only hindsight that makes you think different, if we went back in time none of us would have the benefit of that

Gboly had one of his least effective games, not surprising as he would have missed all the pre match preparation. It is also conceivable that the USA only agreed to release him for the game if we gave him an hour or so and not the full 90. In normal circumstances he would have been unavailable for the whole game so such a compromise would have been attractive.

So if we had renegaded on this Spireite/American "pact" and played him for the full 90 minutes could we expect some USA drones flying over the Proact taking pot shots at everything Spireite? To put is in our place.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#14 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostBeelzebub, on 06 September 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

A badly worded post from me, in hindsight he wouldn't make the same decisions

#15 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Evening.

But I thought that Boli, after an anonymous first half, was getting into the game more and more, and he was certainly taking two, sometimes three, once four, men out of position to get after him (all four fouled him during one tremendous run). Even more than that, he was offering a fast outlet up front for hurried clearances from defence and making Wigan think twice about committing everything to attack.
A better option, with that wonderful hindsight again, would have been to replace Gardner with Humphreys and switch Dan Jones - Gardner had a good game but isn't the bloke you want when the ball needs to be held up in the opponents half.
I'm still wondering how we did so well with so few players though. Credit to Deano, and move on. That was just a blip.

#16 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

Evening.

I raced back from Falmouth to get this game in. Told the missus to expect something like this when we got to Bodmin!

#17 User is offline   Xerxes 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 06 September 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

So if we had renegaded on this Spireite/American "pact" and played him for the full 90 minutes could we expect some USA drones flying over the Proact taking pot shots at everything Spireite? To put is in our place.

Don't think so, but it was probably DS' good reputation within the game that got them to agree to release him, if he had reneged on any agreement he would have damaged that reputation which could only harm the club.

Of course, there may have been no agreement and DS might have thought the defence needed cover Gboly wasn't providing - subsequent events suggested he was right. Unfortunately we have zero defensive options at the moment

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users