Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Up Or Down At The Den? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Up Or Down At The Den? Millwall match thread.

#61 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 29 August 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

I didn't say it wasn't. But if you look closer at the 'factual evidence' then he wasn't exactly solely to blame was he....
The point I'm making is that there's far too many know it alls and doom mongers on here who quite frankly know sweet FA .... If they did they'd maybe have had a career in football.....like err?.. DS.
If someone came to tell me how to do my job who'd never done it I'd tell them to jog on.
But in football it's apparently ok.
As for his style of play? I've only seen two games but it's certainly not long ball and we're trying to score goals rather than racking up passes.
Good start from DS.

In football it's definitely OK. It's part of it.

#62 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:41 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 August 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

In football it's definitely OK. It's part of it.

For the fan yeah, the trouble with forums like this it gives people an opportunity to actually believe they're right.... Like bonnyman

This post has been edited by jonnythespireite: 29 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#63 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:46 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 29 August 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

I didn't say it wasn't. But if you look closer at the 'factual evidence' then he wasn't exactly solely to blame was he....
The point I'm making is that there's far too many know it alls and doom mongers on here who quite frankly know sweet FA .... If they did they'd maybe have had a career in football.....like err?.. DS.
If someone came to tell me how to do my job who'd never done it I'd tell them to jog on.
But in football it's apparently ok.
As for his style of play? I've only seen two games but it's certainly not long ball and we're trying to score goals rather than racking up passes.
Good start from DS.

Is there not a fan forum for your job?

#64 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 29 August 2015 - 08:41 PM, said:

For the fan yeah, the trouble with forums like this it gives people an opportunity to actually believe they're right.... Like bonnyman

Some people are right.

You and I are normally in that camp ;)

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 29 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

#65 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 29 August 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Is there not a fan forum for your job?

If there is it'd be fuc cking boring ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 29 August 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

Some people are right.

You and I are normally in the camp ;)

Righto squire
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#66 User is offline   Gary the Snail 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

Some random thoughts on some of the team and today's game:

O'Neil came in at right back and had a solid first game. If he's a CM "playing out of position" at right back, it didn't particularly show.

Evatt was an absolute monster today - got his head on everything and made some important strong interceptions.

Morsy is playing football of a quality a league above us. Several times he took the ball in the middle and effortlessly changed the direction of play.

Angel goes about his business in an efficient and unspectacular fashion. This allows Morsy to be more imposing.

O'Shea was always trying to work something going forwards (in this he seems to has replaced Roberts forward thinking guile).

SEB worked tirelessly for the time he was on. Several times linked up with O'Shea well. I noticed he makes some really intelligent runs and knows where and when to make them. You can tell he's played at a higher level. It was noticeable when he was replaced by Armand, in that this quality up front wasn't there anymore. Armand had a one on one chance late on and should have placed into the bottom corner with a bit more composure. If that was SEB it probably would have been a goal. I'm sure his time will come.

Gardner gave away the ball far too many times. He needs to cut this out of his game, and he should have gone off instead of Ariybi, who, admittedly didn't have a great game either. Neither of them were on form today.

Millwall weren't anything to shout about. First half we dominated. We must have had 10 corners and they had none. I can't remember them having a shot in the first half. O'Shea's goal was quality. Volley from left hand side in off the post. Second half they came at us a lot more with possession and got lots more balls into our box that either Evatt or Hird cleared 1st/2nd attempt or it didn't fall to them. They fluffed a couple of chances too. However, in the main we were solid with Morsy and Angel holding the midfield in front of a resolute back four of which O'Neal didn't look out of place for his first game. Armand and Mani came on and for the latter part we played into the corners and exposed Millwall a couple of times, who by now had run out of ideas by the time O'Shea got his second with literally the last kick of the game (we didn't even kick off again!).

Overall a good away win, we will play away against much better teams than Millwall, but I wouldn't say we played to our best ability either. Gardner and Ariybi weren't great but the back four and midfield were solid. I do like the way we are composed enough to build the play from the back, looking for the spare man and the options. Saunders has us playing football and may be not as pedestrian or one sided as Cook. The spine of the team (Evatt, Morsy, O'Shea, SEB) were awesome and if they carry on with this form, with may be a couple more squad additions that could add a bit more quality off the bench, then we should be up there.

#67 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

[quote name='jonnythespireite' timestamp='1440881604' post='1142951']
If there is it'd be fuc cking boring ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️

I think that together we may have stumbled upon a crucial point here. You don't work in the entertainment industry. People don't pay money to watch you work. If they did they might have opinions about it that you wouldn't like, but probably not as I have no reason to believe you are not a master of your trade.

#68 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:01 PM

When listening to the first half I idly wondered if Millwall fans actually have anything other than the 'Miiiiiiiiiiillwaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllll' they do.

#69 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

Anyone bothered to see the C5 highlights show tonight, more amateurism tonight, they claim the cross for our last goal was performed by Gboly, when in actual fact it was Mani.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#70 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 29 August 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

Anyone bothered to see the C5 highlights show tonight, more amateurism tonight, they claim the cross for our last goal was performed by Gboly, when in actual fact it was Mani.

I thought he'd put some timber on.

#71 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 29 August 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

We could be a top game during the international break. Might even make the extended highlights
Here we go again!

#72 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:37 AM

Was at a barbie yesterday (is that too Aussie?) with Town's game via 'Peak' over the music system (a chuffin' big radio, in other words). Now I usually steer clear because that chap commentating is too excitable, however the lad doing it yesterday was bang-on. Paul Fisher? You'll do for me, pal. Anyway, it sounded as if we were pretty much in charge for the first half and though Millwall bossed it in the second Tommy Lee only had one real save to make - a bl00dy brilliant save, mind!

Two-nil, terrific result and shows how much I know given my initial post.

As for Saunders well yeah, I'll hold my hands up; I was one of those doubting his appointment because of what I saw of his Crawley side, the relegations on his CV and reports of ugly football from fans of former clubs. Does that make me a 'know it all'? A 'doom-monger'? Someone who shouldn't comment because they've never played professional football? Or does it make me a concerned punter going on what evidence there is? A concerned punter who's now more than happy to give credit where credit's due, by the way.

Besides, please point me in the direction of posts predicting Saunders would be a definite success from anyone now sneering.

Maybe we've yet to meet any of the better teams, maybe Morsy will go next week, maybe we still need squad depth; I dunno. What I do know, though, is after a difficult summer the future is looking far more promising. Let's celebrate that instead of pointing accusing fingers.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#73 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 30 August 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

Was at a barbie yesterday (is that too Aussie?) with Town's game via 'Peak' over the music system (a chuffin' big radio, in other words). Now I usually steer clear because that chap commentating is too excitable, however the lad doing it yesterday was bang-on. Paul Fisher? You'll do for me, pal. Anyway, it sounded as if we were pretty much in charge for the first half and though Millwall bossed it in the second Tommy Lee only had one real save to make - a bl00dy brilliant save, mind!

As for Saunders well yeah, I'll hold my hands up; I was one of those doubting his appointment because of what I saw of his Crawley side, the relegations on his CV and reports of ugly football from fans of former clubs. Does that make me a 'know it all'? A 'doom-monger'? Someone who shouldn't comment because they've never played professional football? Or does it make me a concerned punter going on what evidence there is? A concerned punter who's now more than happy to give credit where credit's due, by the way.

Besides, please point me in the direction of posts predicting Saunders would be a definite success from anyone now sneering.

Maybe we've yet to meet any of the better teams, maybe Morsy will go next week, maybe we still need squad depth; I dunno. What I do know, though, is after a difficult summer the future is looking far more promising. Let's celebrate that instead of pointing accusing fingers.

Basically Chris many folk are far too hasty in passing judgement........DS wouldn't have been my first choice but it only seemed fair to the bloke to give him a chance.

#74 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

We were poor for 30 minutes in the 2nd half. This after a dominant first half.

But the last 10 we really managed to game and saw it out. Professional job well done.

Unfortunately at times we were carrying players. Gardner not good enough again and Ariybi showed that at the moment he's an impact sub. Mani not the required standard. Armand actually showed some maturity in decision making with keeping the ball and nearly bagged.

Millwall were shocking though. Even in the 2nd half when they should have created more

SEB put a shift in. Didn't quite fall for him but he worked hard up top on his own against a really thuggish side

This post has been edited by DMU Blue: 30 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

Up the Blues

#75 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 30 August 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

Saunders appointed, knee-jerk reactions of what a disaster the appointment is and the fact that we're falling apart at the seams.
There was no need for the outcry at his appointment. Yes, he has suffered relegations but the last time he had a full pre-season at this level, he won promotion.

A month into the season, knee-jerk reactions of Saunders being a big success.
Dean is not yet a success at all. We have made a very good start and I am delighted with the way things are moving and his job so far. I like the bloke and things look very positive, but nowhere near a successful appointment yet.

Every new addition to the playing staff, management and coaching staff, someone goes on the relevant clubs forum and we base an opinion on the person from posters on their boards before we've clapped eyes on them. Maybe other forums have similar characters posting as we have on here??

A little perspective and let's enjoy where we are now and look forward with positive anticipation.

#76 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:23 AM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 30 August 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Basically Chris many folk are far too hasty in passing judgement........DS wouldn't have been my first choice but it only seemed fair to the bloke to give him a chance.

And maybe some people are too hasty to condemn other fans. Hardly anyone predicted 'doom' - one poster to my knowledge. Some expressed concerns about Saunders record, which is fair enough with someone new, as MD points out. Virtually ALL were willing to reserve judgement until a reasonable number of games had been played, so IMO it's the supercilious finger - pointers who are going over the top in jumping to conclusions. My own concern was that a new manager, whoever it was, would have to deal with losing at least half of an outstanding team, have players brought in at, or even after the last minute, and struggle to mould a cohesive team with the season already under way. That would be difficult for anybody, so the start we have made is very encouraging in those circumstances. It doesn't mean that those who had concerns were imagining things, or shouldn't have aired their views. For one thing, it's still very early days, and I think this group of players will need to learn how to become a more effective team to maintain our current league position. The games v Sheffield United and Rochdale showed that we will be even better when the individual players learn to play as a more cohesive, incisive unit. Assuming we have luck with fitness, and hang on to Morsy, we could develop into a very effective team, despite the handicaps that DS started with, and fans were quite correct to note.

This post has been edited by sophocles: 30 August 2015 - 09:24 AM

#77 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 30 August 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

The two aren't incompatible. It's perfectly possible to pass judgement AND give someone a chance. In fact there are very few who wouldn't take that stance in the face of normal circumstances.

#78 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

View Postsophocles, on 30 August 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

And maybe some people are too hasty to condemn other fans. Hardly anyone predicted 'doom' - one poster to my knowledge. Some expressed concerns about Saunders record, which is fair enough with someone new, as MD points out. Virtually ALL were willing to reserve judgement until a reasonable number of games had been played, so IMO it's the supercilious finger - pointers who are going over the top in jumping to conclusions. My own concern was that a new manager, whoever it was, would have to deal with losing at least half of an outstanding team, have players brought in at, or even after the last minute, and struggle to mould a cohesive team with the season already under way. That would be difficult for anybody, so the start we have made is very encouraging in those circumstances. It doesn't mean that those who had concerns were imagining things, or shouldn't have aired their views. For one thing, it's still very early days, and I think this group of players will need to learn how to become a more effective team to maintain our current league position. The games v Sheffield United and Rochdale showed that we will be even better when the individual players learn to play as a more cohesive, incisive unit. Assuming we have luck with fitness, and hang on to Morsy, we could develop into a very effective team, despite the handicaps that DS started with, and fans were quite correct to note.

I can think of half a dozen who predicted doom without even trying too hard......

#79 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostDMU Blue, on 30 August 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

We were poor for 30 minutes in the 2nd half. This after a dominant first half.

But the last 10 we really managed to game and saw it out. Professional job well done.

Unfortunately at times we were carrying players. Gardner not good enough again and Ariybi showed that at the moment he's an impact sub. Mani not the required standard. Armand actually showed some maturity in decision making with keeping the ball and nearly bagged.

Millwall were shocking though. Even in the 2nd half when they should have created more

SEB put a shift in. Didn't quite fall for him but he worked hard up top on his own against a really thuggish side

Really? I thought it was an excellent defensive team display, which is part of the game and added to an excellent overall team performance. They had one clear cut opertunity and Tommy dealt with it! As the away team and 0-1 up, we would have expected them to come on to us 2nd half and we handled it very well indeed.

#80 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 30 August 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

The two aren't incompatible. It's perfectly possible to pass judgement AND give someone a chance. In fact there are very few who wouldn't take that stance in the face of normal circumstances.

But the messageboard ain't 'normal' is it Tim???

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users