Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Where Will This Rank? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where Will This Rank? Promotion and PC?

#21 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:56 PM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 22 February 2024 - 10:53 AM, said:

I agree about JM.
Who had heard of Dan Archer when he brought him in as Captain ? Stroke of genius.

Yep JM was definitely good at finding some gems, and his brand of football wasn't too shabby either.

#22 User is offline   Roussa spireite 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 05:31 PM

I'm with everyone else thinking that this squad has been built with league 2 in mind in fact the cup results seem to bear that out!
So Cook could get to the top but it's got to be JD his first championship was a great achievement beating the stags in the play offs was fantastic and of course the cup run I will always remember it the win at Bolton was awesome
Also the A Cox years will always have a special place for me beat the blunts home and away Wednesday at home and GS last minute equalising goal we played marvellous football home and away I saw Alan Birch score a hatrick of goals away as good as Berry's against Southend
This team now is very good but it has the potential to be the greatest period for us and I hope it does!!

#23 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:46 PM

Paul Cook - in terms of success, players signed, standard of football and affinity for the Club our best ever.

Duncan ticks three of those boxes but will always be tainted by his negativity.

Cox ticks two, though he came closest as anyone in my lifetime to returning us to the 'promised land'.

Let's not forget it was Frank Barlow who delivered the Anglo Scittish Cup which remains in our trophy cabinet forever.

Both Nicky Law and John Sheridan also tick three. And NL ought to hold a far more prominent position in our affections given he was a promotion winning captain and manager. Sadly his association with the Fat Fraudster prevents that. Similarly, despite overseeing us blow away League Two during our first season at the new place, Sheridan never really endeared himself to our fans. Then even bringing the JPT trophy home from Wembley can't compensate for the way things went so quickly sh*t shaped after that initial success.

I'd also add the names of Paul Hart, Roy McFarland and Danny Wilson to the list of Town manager who ticked our 'success', 'signings', 'standard of football' and 'Spireite sociability' boxes in one way or another...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#24 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:58 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 February 2024 - 08:46 PM, said:

Paul Cook - in terms of success, players signed, standard of football and affinity for the Club our best ever.

Duncan ticks three of those boxes but will always be tainted by his negativity.

Cox ticks two, though he came closest as anyone in my lifetime to returning us to the 'promised land'.

Let's not forget it was Frank Barlow who delivered the Anglo Scittish Cup which remains in our trophy cabinet forever.

Both Nicky Law and John Sheridan also tick three. And NL ought to hold a far more prominent position in our affections given he was a promotion winning captain and manager. Sadly his association with the Fat Fraudster prevents that. Similarly, despite overseeing us blow away League Two during our first season at the new place, Sheridan never really endeared himself to our fans. Then even bringing the JPT trophy home from Wembley can't compensate for the way things went so quickly sh*t shaped after that initial success.

I'd also add the names of Paul Hart, Roy McFarland and Danny Wilson to the list of Town manager who ticked our 'success', 'signings', 'standard of football' and 'Spireite sociability' boxes in one way or another...

Very good summary Chris. Although Cox was just before my time so you must be a little bit older than me 😄

#25 User is offline   stainlessstephen 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:47 PM

How many (or what) boxes would Saunders, Mad Dog, Rowe, and Gormless Gary tick?
Mainframe... Uncle Eric is helping police with their enquiries

#26 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:52 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 22 February 2024 - 03:56 PM, said:

Yep JM was definitely good at finding some gems, and his brand of football wasn't too shabby either.

Sadly most of the whippersnappers on this forum weren't even born in our real glory days and our real heroes are nothing more than folk law (at the very best)
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#27 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:05 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 22 February 2024 - 01:32 PM, said:

John Duncan was our best ever manager. With a proper striker we would have reached the First Division (Championship) in 1995/96.

Duncan wanted to sign Mark Stallard from Derby. Lea said no, he went to Wycombe and was a decent goalscorer at that level.

96/97 we should have reached the FA Cup Final without that plonker in black. Lack of squad depth cost us a playoff place.

Love Cook to bits, but he needs to achieve a lot more to surpass Duncan.

JD deserves lots of credit and praise for what he did but time dulls the memory a bit because a lot of his football was dull as. I'd love to see what some of the younger members of this board would think watching that week in week out.

And he'd have turned Stallard into a full back.

#28 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:44 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 22 February 2024 - 11:13 AM, said:

A few years ago, a Notts County season ticket holder came to work at our firm. One day the conversation turned to his favourite ever player. He said ‘you won’t have heard of him, a guy called Kevin Randall’.

Grrr.

I felt that way when Cox sold Rodney Fern to Rotherham, not got over it yet

#29 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:11 AM

View Postazul, on 22 February 2024 - 10:52 PM, said:

Sadly most of the whippersnappers on this forum weren't even born in our real glory days and our real heroes are nothing more than folk law (at the very best)

Yes, it's hard to relate to the younger fans amongst us, just how good players like Albert Holmes, John Osborne and Danny Wilson were. Two of the three went onto play at the highest level of league football, whilst, I'm sure Albert could have played a lot higher than leagues one and two, I'm just glad he stayed with us for so long.

#30 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:57 AM

Tommy fennoughty, we loved him

#31 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2024 - 09:48 AM

View PostOsborne again, on 23 February 2024 - 05:11 AM, said:

Yes, it's hard to relate to the younger fans amongst us, just how good players like Albert Holmes, John Osborne and Danny Wilson were. Two of the three went onto play at the highest level of league football, whilst, I'm sure Albert could have played a lot higher than leagues one and two, I'm just glad he stayed with us for so long.

John Osbourne was even before my time, although when I was a child I remember him playing for WBA. Remember Danny well as I was a young adult by then - great player!
But for those too young to have seen Albert Holmes- and again I was about 12 when he was at his peak- it’s difficult to describe what a fabulous full back he was, the best we have ever had.
There was a game played on a weekday afternoon during the blackouts when use of floodlights were banned, the crowd was something like two thousand odd, the smallest I’d ever seen.
I think it might have been against Cambridge. Can’t recall the score but I’m sure Albert scored a rare goal. It might have been one of the games when he was played further forward as happened on a couple of occasions. Remember the sparse crowd chanting Albert, Albert!
Anyone remember that game ? Must have been 72 or more probably 74 because of the power cuts.

#32 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 23 February 2024 - 09:48 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 23 February 2024 - 08:57 AM, said:

Rose tinted specs I’m sure but my favourite player was George Duncan.

#33 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 23 February 2024 - 11:10 AM

I will be reserving my ranking assessment until such time as there is a capital C at the side of our name on the league table.

#34 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:41 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 23 February 2024 - 08:57 AM, said:

Totally. I know it is had to compare players from different eras but some of those names from the 69/70 champions side were brilliant

#35 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:43 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 23 February 2024 - 09:48 AM, said:

John Osbourne was even before my time, although when I was a child I remember him playing for WBA. Remember Danny well as I was a young adult by then - great player!
But for those too young to have seen Albert Holmes- and again I was about 12 when he was at his peak- it’s difficult to describe what a fabulous full back he was, the best we have ever had.
There was a game played on a weekday afternoon during the blackouts when use of floodlights were banned, the crowd was something like two thousand odd, the smallest I’d ever seen.
I think it might have been against Cambridge. Can’t recall the score but I’m sure Albert scored a rare goal. It might have been one of the games when he was played further forward as happened on a couple of occasions. Remember the sparse crowd chanting Albert, Albert!
Anyone remember that game ? Must have been 72 or more probably 74 because of the power cuts.

Albert was sometimes played as a winger,and I do remember him scoring the odd goal or two ,but for me, his defensive abilities were top notch and his signature sliding tackle was rarely mistimed. As you rightly said, he was the best we ever had, and Im sure the oppositions left winger would know he was in for a torrid time. Any fullback who wants to enhance his game could do a lot worse than watching film or telly footage of our Albert, because his positional sense was exact, his timing in the tackle was excellent and he could motor forwards too. The other Albert wasn't too bad either as Phelan could play across the backline.
John Osborne was a quality keeper who commanded his box,with most high crosses being snuffed out by the man in the green jersey. He was lightening quick with his reactions and if he could,he held shots, none of this batting them away like modern keepers. His distribution was good too.
Can't say too much about Danny Wilson that hasn't been said before, top player,top manager,but he wasn't backed here, a top bloke and he's one of our own, even if he did come from Wigan.

#36 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:49 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 23 February 2024 - 05:11 AM, said:

Albert would have been at least yellow carded every week with his infamous slide tackle lol

If Jim Mcguigan would have had the money to spend afforded to Arthur Cox a few years later it makes one wonder where we might have finished up after winning the then 4th division championship and finishing 5th in the old 3rd division in the following season

#37 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:51 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 23 February 2024 - 09:48 AM, said:

Wonder if his sliding tackle would be allowed these days - doubt it very much no matter how clean it was

The game you refer to was in 74 during Ted Heath's 3 Day Week brought on by miners (and railways?) strike to conserve supplies. Possibly 3-1 win

#38 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 23 February 2024 - 06:02 PM

View Postazul, on 23 February 2024 - 05:51 PM, said:

Wonder if his sliding tackle would be allowed these days - doubt it very much no matter how clean it was

The game you refer to was in 74 during Ted Heath's 3 Day Week brought on by miners (and railways?) strike to conserve supplies. Possibly 3-1 win

I remember Alberts 2 rockets at Dale when they were up for promotion. Middle of winter driving over the Pennines with half the coach windows missing.
God I hate this league.

#39 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2024 - 06:07 PM

View Postwhittman, on 23 February 2024 - 05:49 PM, said:

Albert would have been at least yellow carded every week with his infamous slide tackle lol

If Jim Mcguigan would have had the money to spend afforded to Arthur Cox a few years later it makes one wonder where we might have finished up after winning the then 4th division championship and finishing 5th in the old 3rd division in the following season

Yes, it does make you wonder, an excellent manager, and one I sometimes forget about when talking about Town's greatest men in the hot seat.

#40 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2024 - 06:52 PM

Jim Mcguigan actually came to our school to give a talk. The only thing I remember was when he said 'even one of our best players like Tom Fenoughty only has the ball at his feet for a few minutes each game.' Which I suppose is probably true.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users