• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

so lets get truth out in open regards gritton

#21 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

If he's staying at CFC then Sherri has to give him a fair chance, even if the pair of them have had a little squabble. Boden brought off the bench to tackle their big men yesterday was a joke, Gritts.would have been the better option.
lindave

#22 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on Sep 12 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

Ive seen him start once this season...Scunthorpe. He looked leaner, fitter, quicker, hungrier.. up for it.
won plenty in the air, had a good game...Im really surprised we havent seen him more.

Gritton was very good against Scunthorpe and did well when he came on against Torquay. I also thought he looked in better shape and was more aggressive in his approach.
If only....

#23 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on Sep 12 2009, 11:21 PM, said:

Allegedly refused to go out on loan preferring to sit in stand or on bench here

So Sheriden is cutting his nose of to spite his face, sounds more like Rico everyday.

Sheriden...... Shezza..... Shezo

Just because he doesn't fit Sheriden's template he's outcast and vilified

Give him a chance alongside Lester with two out of our three wingers on the wing
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#24 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:05 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on Sep 13 2009, 10:34 AM, said:

Personally i think when he's on the pitch he puts the effort in. I think his biggest problem is that he is tall and people assumed he was the Fletch replacement and he isn't thattype of player, so when he isn't winning headers and bundling players off the ball everyone thinks he should be etc

I think you've summed up the situation perfectly.
If only....

#25 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

View PostSkywalker, on Sep 13 2009, 04:08 PM, said:

I think you've summed up the situation perfectly.

my opinion on gritton is that he isnt what we need,which is obvious we also shouldnt have bought him,but on the flip side,he isnt the worst player i have ever seen ,he is a little flatfooted andhe hasnt got much of a spring but for him not too be even on the bench is ridiculous,he is actually the only player we have got if we want to play a genuine 442.I like everyone else dosent think talbot is a striker but he has a great workrate and a wide berth is certainly his best position.imo martin gritton should be given a chance,if sheridan wants too get rid of the deadwood,gritton shouldnt be top of the pecking order,players like currie who offer zilch should be top
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#26 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:36 PM

Given that everyone has "had a clean slate" in this season what makes Jack a better player to get a starting pace than Gritton. In terms of goals jack has played more games and all he has to show for it is a goal that went in off his backside in 7 games. Gritts has participated in 3 games, two of which it says above that he did quite well, albeit without a goal. Should Gritton be given 7 games and then compare him to Lester. 10 games each, or should they be tried together as we now have pace on both flanks to support them, and a more composed general in midfield.

If i were going to (possibly) make a silk purse out of a sows ear both players goal ratio not inc sub appearances before coming to us reads as:

Jack -

Grimsby 17 in 92 games = 1 in 5.4
Doncaster 1 in 6 games
Forest 21 in 73 = 1 in 3.4
Sheff U 12 in 26 = 1 in 2.1
Forest 13 in 42 = 1 in 3.2

Gritton -

Plymouth 7 in 15 = 1 in 2.1
Yeovil 0 in 3
Torquay 23 in 72 = 1 in 3.1
Grimsby 6 in 29 = 1 in 4.8
Lincoln 3 in 9 = 1 in 3
Mansfield 6 in 14 = 1 in 2.3
Macca 13 in 40 = 1 in 3.0

The issue for me is that for 5 of Gritton's clubs he's been used as a sub between 12 and 29 times, but without spending a considerable amount of time researching i'd assume many of those games would have been for under 5 minutes which is barely time to have an impact on the game, so prior to coming to us neither player a particularly prolific striker. The differences are that Jack has been playing at a higher level and also has played a fair few games deeper.

#27 User is offline   Zeus 

• Hellenic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Σπαΐραïτς

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:51 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on Sep 12 2009, 11:44 PM, said:

He offers something else.... he shouldnt be 5th choice striker.

I think he's most likely 7th choice.
@MancSpireites

#28 User is offline   spyright 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on Sep 13 2009, 10:34 AM, said:

I'm not saying anything about his attitude or if there is any truth in it etc, just what is being alleged..

Personally i think when he's on the pitch he puts the effort in. I think his biggest problem is that he is tall and people assumed he was the Fletch replacement and he isn't thattype of player, so when he isn't winning headers and bundling players off the ball everyone thinks he should be etc

Absolutely spot on 'Ex3'. I've been saying the same for ages now. He's NOT a big target man and he's NOT a like-for-like Fletch replacement. He's worked hard when given a chance and looks reasonable if he gets the ball to feet. Too often though he's been expected to work off scraps - usually about 10 foot up in the air - and when he does get into a good position in the box he usually ends up waiting in vain for a pass. With our forwards producing just one goal in 7 league games surely it's worth giving him a chance - he can't do any worse. How much longer will JS accept no return from Jack (I know he got the deflection off the Drew shot but he has yet to score a 'clean' goal)?
If nothing acts faster than anadin, why do we buy anadin?

#29 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

View Postspyright, on Sep 14 2009, 01:08 PM, said:

Absolutely spot on 'Ex3'. I've been saying the same for ages now. He's NOT a big target man and he's NOT a like-for-like Fletch replacement. He's worked hard when given a chance and looks reasonable if he gets the ball to feet. Too often though he's been expected to work off scraps - usually about 10 foot up in the air - and when he does get into a good position in the box he usually ends up waiting in vain for a pass. With our forwards producing just one goal in 7 league games surely it's worth giving him a chance - he can't do any worse. How much longer will JS accept no return from Jack (I know he got the deflection off the Drew shot but he has yet to score a 'clean' goal)?

You can say what you like about Jack but I think a "Lester/Gritton" partnership carries more threat than Lester/Talbot, Lester/Small, Talbot/Small, Gritton/Talbot or, indeed, Gritton Small.

I know I've not mentioned Bowery or Boden but these two should only be bought on when we are leading comfortably with a view to giving them experience under no pressure. Then again this isn't likely to happen if we struggle to score in the first place bearing in mind that two of the "front-men" mentioned in our experienced alternatives above are JS signings.

#30 User is offline   spyright 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:52 PM

View Postdtp, on Sep 14 2009, 01:24 PM, said:

You can say what you like about Jack but I think a "Lester/Gritton" partnership carries more threat than Lester/Talbot, Lester/Small, Talbot/Small, Gritton/Talbot or, indeed, Gritton Small.

I know I've not mentioned Bowery or Boden but these two should only be bought on when we are leading comfortably with a view to giving them experience under no pressure. Then again this isn't likely to happen if we struggle to score in the first place bearing in mind that two of the "front-men" mentioned in our experienced alternatives above are JS signings.

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with you 'dtp'. Jack and Gritts worked at times last season so maybe that pairing ought to be tried out for the next few games. My comment about how much longer JS would tolerate the lack of goals from Jack was more rhetorical than anything (and I was also mindful of his comments on RS about taking 'harsh' decisions). we certainly need to change something up front!

#31 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

View Postspyright, on Sep 14 2009, 01:08 PM, said:

and when he does get into a good position in the box he usually ends up waiting in vain for a pass.

Gritton's positioning in the box is really bad.

#32 User is offline   J Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

i think gritton will be better off back at Macclesfield but if he goes back he will end up scoring against us again :unsure:

#33 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

Against our defence I'd be confident of scoring a hattrick.LOL.
lindave

#34 User is offline   spyright 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Sep 14 2009, 05:16 PM, said:

Gritton's positioning in the box is really bad.

I don't agree 'Haslandboi'. I can recall a number of games last season when he was unmarked in the box but Jack elected to try and beat 3 or 4 defenders and have a shot himself rather than pass to the man in a much better position. We all know what Jack can do but sometimes his greed does cost us a good goal-scoring chance. When he's banging them in like clockwork it doesn't matter but at the moment we need a goal from anyone and if Jack gets the assist rather than the goal that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

#35 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

View Postspyright, on Sep 15 2009, 01:19 PM, said:

if Jack gets the assist rather than the goal that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But it bothers Jack. His goal bonus is affected.

#36 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

I don't agree 'Haslandboi'. I can recall a number of games last season when he was unmarked in the box but Jack elected to try and beat 3 or 4 defenders and have a shot himself rather than pass to the man in a much better position. We all know what Jack can do but sometimes his greed does cost us a good goal-scoring chance. When he's banging them in like clockwork it doesn't matter but at the moment we need a goal from anyone and if Jack gets the assist rather than the goal that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But whenever the ball was put across the face of goal last season, Gritton was nowhere to be seen when he should've been busting a gut to attack the far post, it's schoolboy stuff that my Sunday team can do.

#37 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

It would be good if JS could get this greedy out of jack so we create more chances, he needs to get jack to pass the ball when there's 2 or three men closing down on him, more teams have found out how to stop jack being a threat as he's entering his third season in this division and that is taking it's toll on his goalscoring record, he's still a key player for us but he needs to be more of a team player than he has shown in his last two seasons, as his assist total is already improving under JS perhaps the new manager is slowly getting jack to be more of a team player. We could see Jack playing deeper, as he did before he came to us - especially if his scoring doesn't improve soon.

#38 User is offline   BlueRover52 

• If it aint broke don't fix it!

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

View PostJames the Spireite, on Sep 14 2009, 07:25 PM, said:

i think gritton will be better off back at Macclesfield but if he goes back he will end up scoring against us again :wacko:

:lol: He ought to be in the squad come Saturday. Should be well up for it against his old mucca's from Macca.
Many a good tune

#39 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

View PostBlueRover52, on Sep 15 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

:wacko: He ought to be in the squad come Saturday. Should be well up for it against his old mucca's from Macca.

Only disadvantage of this is that Keith Alexander will know everything there is to know about Gritts. But then it's not unusual for players to score against their old clubs, like last season, which infact was his last goal for us, come on gritts!

#40 User is offline   spyright 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:26 AM

View PostHaslandboi, on Sep 15 2009, 05:19 PM, said:

But whenever the ball was put across the face of goal last season, Gritton was nowhere to be seen when he should've been busting a gut to attack the far post, it's schoolboy stuff that my Sunday team can do.

Well if I was him and I'd learnt that Jack wasn't going to pass to me I don't think I'd bother to 'bust a gut' to get onto the far post either! :lol:

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users