• You cannot reply to this topic

43 Years Ago Today

#21 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:22 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 30 October 2023 - 05:17 PM, said:

When we got back to tha station, knowing there was an hourish before the train left a subtle bit of footwork (those were the days) allowed 4 of us to break ranks and find a boozer. On entry we was met with aggressive, threatening behaviour. It was a Celtic pub. We eventually got through to them that the blue scarfs weren't Rangers but town. On realising us, a team they didn't really know had made their arch rivals look silly. They insisted on buying our ale, we Daren't say no!!

Celtic fans appear more generous than Rangers fans I know!!!

That must have topped off a great night !

#22 User is online   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:24 PM

No mate straight there with daughters mum as lifts panned out

#23 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:34 PM

clarevoyant., on 30 October 2023 - 05:17 PM, said:

When we got back to tha station, knowing there was an hourish before the train left a subtle bit of footwork (those were the days) allowed 4 of us to break ranks and find a boozer. On entry we was met with aggressive, threatening behaviour. It was a Celtic pub. We eventually got through to them that the blue scarfs weren't Rangers but town. On realising us, a team they didn't really know had made their arch rivals look silly. They insisted on buying our ale, we Daren't say no!!

Celtic fans appear more generous than Rangers fans I know!!!

The Bar on the station was open though and it was good to have a couple of pints and to obtain the next days Daily Record where the match report was on the back page, before the train left around midnight

#24 User is online   clarevoyant. 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:35 PM

newbold ken, on 30 October 2023 - 06:22 PM, said:

That must have topped off a great night !

Yes, but managing to clock on for 7 next morning was a challange.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#25 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 30 October 2023 - 07:23 PM

We had a Glaswegian chap, a Rangers fan where I was working back then and during the week leading up to the 2nd leg at Saltergate he kept spouting off about how lucky we had been at Ibrox and how we fluked the draw scoring directly from a corner and how the Ger's were going to give us a good pasting in the return game. He got so carried away with it that he started offering us bets on it and he was giving us a goal start too. Quite a few of us took him at his word and bets were placed. He was our overhead crane driver and the morning after our 3-0 thrashing of them I arrived at work close to clocking on time armed with my blue and white jockey cap, blue and white scarf and a Spireite flag to taunt him with. It was 4ft x 3ft flag with 2 vertical blue bands at each end and a white vertical band in the middle sporting our shirt badge in blue from that period (the one with the spire with the ball in it). As I went to clock in a few lads from the night shift were stood at the clocking machine waiting to clock off.

One of the lads seeing me with the all this blue and white gear said " If you've brought all of that in to taunt Jock with you won't be seeing much of him down on the shop floor today. He arrived for work this morning half an hour early and was last seen scampering up the ladder to his crane wearing a belt with 5 plastic pop bottles hanging from it to p**s in! He said he has no intention of coming back down until all you lot on day shift have all gone home tonight! " He never paid all of the bets he had made either. A couple of the rougher lads got their money after threatening him but taking the mickey out of him was payment enough for the rest of us.

I remember taking my flag home with me that evening after work but when I looked for it a while later it had mysteriously vanished. As I have said in an earlier post on this subject it was my brothers last match watching town beat Rangers as he emigrated to Canada the Sunday after. A few weeks after he left he sent me a letter and a photograph of his new house in Alberta. He had a flagpole at the front of the house and what was proudly flying from it? ...... MY FLIPPIN TOWN FLAG!
I've never forgiven him for nicking it lol.

This post has been edited by Alice Cooper: 30 October 2023 - 07:47 PM

Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#26 User is offline   Close but no prawn sarnies 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2023 - 06:02 PM

Remember it well, even my Dad who wasn't really a football fan , turned out for it. Sat next to the Rangers fans, who were well drunk but friendly enough

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users