• You cannot reply to this topic

Any Rumours?

#101 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2024 - 10:50 AM

View Postdtp, on 24 April 2024 - 07:59 AM, said:

Without counting up the answer is “not necessarily”.

Goalkeepers don’t count and neither do players under 21 on 01/01/24 such as Brown & Freckleton. The young CB at Rochdale would fit into this category too.

Believe that U21s on loan DO count towards the squad limit.

As you say GKs do not, and any U21s that are under contract with us also do not.

#102 User is online   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 10:54 AM

View Postdtp, on 24 April 2024 - 09:54 AM, said:

Didn’t we also have Jones at LB who I remember as being like a greyhound going forward but a tortoise getting back. Also, well remembered for his theatrics against the blunts.

Yes, but that was league 1. Had that fight with Izale Mcleod as well and seemed to fall down the pecking order a bit.

#103 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 24 April 2024 - 12:10 PM

We'll not be playing with our full backs standing on the heels of our attacking wide players next season, because it's already been said, so we'll be defending with a four instead of a two. We do need pace at the back, but we're going to struggle finding a ready to roll centre back who has pace, can time a tackle to perfection, has anticipation and can head a ball like a premiership player unless we're going to spend big time.
We have had Freckleton on loan for this season but, because Grimes has been virtually ever present he's hardly featured in his chosen position, so we don't know if he could be the right man for the job. If Freckleton comes back next season I'd be happy because there's a decent centre back in there and according to someone who's in the know (I know, I think the same) he's not getting another contract from United, so if the info is right, I'd go for Freckleton.
We also need a back-up to Mandeville, because no one can effectively play in his position on the right. We have plenty who can play centre mid and wide left, but no one has looked good on the right.

#104 User is online   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 12:23 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 24 April 2024 - 12:10 PM, said:

We'll not be playing with our full backs standing on the heels of our attacking wide players next season, because it's already been said, so we'll be defending with a four instead of a two. We do need pace at the back, but we're going to struggle finding a ready to roll centre back who has pace, can time a tackle to perfection, has anticipation and can head a ball like a premiership player unless we're going to spend big time.
We have had Freckleton on loan for this season but, because Grimes has been virtually ever present he's hardly featured in his chosen position, so we don't know if he could be the right man for the job. If Freckleton comes back next season I'd be happy because there's a decent centre back in there and according to someone who's in the know (I know, I think the same) he's not getting another contract from United, so if the info is right, I'd go for Freckleton.
We also need a back-up to Mandeville, because no one can effectively play in his position on the right. We have plenty who can play centre mid and wide left, but no one has looked good on the right.

I think our full backs will still be attacking, they was last time. I heard Cook on a Wigan podcast talking about how his teams always have a defensive ‘box’ of four players, his two centre half’s and two defensive midfielders. I think Naylor will be staying back a lot more next season. Also, the defender you’re describing there sounds very much like Chey Dunkley to me. Completely agree about competition for Mandeville.

This post has been edited by Fit as a Nelson: 24 April 2024 - 12:25 PM

#105 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 12:37 PM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 24 April 2024 - 12:23 PM, said:

I think our full backs will still be attacking, they was last time. I heard Cook on a Wigan podcast talking about how his teams always have a defensive ‘box’ of four players, his two centre half’s and two defensive midfielders. I think Naylor will be staying back a lot more next season. Also, the defender you’re describing there sounds very much like Chey Dunkley to me. Completely agree about competition for Mandeville.

Dunkley, if available, at the right price, would definitely be the man, but how many others will be after his signature? The full backs we have now, are much slower than the ones Cook had to call on last time and we have two of them contracted for next season, so either one will be stopping back or the two holding midfielders won't be going further forward than the halfway line unless we have an unsurmountable lead.

#106 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 01:09 PM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 24 April 2024 - 12:23 PM, said:

Thats how we played under him last time around in League 2 and League 1....Morsy and Ryan protecting the back four a bit more giving licence to Darikwa at right back and whoever played left back that i cant remember to get forward.

#107 User is offline   Voiceofjoe 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 01:28 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 24 April 2024 - 12:10 PM, said:

It’s the overlapping defender's that provide the width.
A good portion of the forward wide players have only got one decent foot and tend to drift inside more than provide crosses from wide.
So pretty sure the defenders will be bombing on as this year.
A lot of the issues have been losing the ball in central areas, as the previous poster said I’ve also heard Cook talk of a box of four in the middle, so think that may be the way we go.

#108 User is offline   MrTall 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 01:55 PM

View Postsophocles, on 24 April 2024 - 08:33 AM, said:

Progress isn't necessarily achieved by a lot of chopping and changing, in fact that could have the opposite effect. The skills required of a good manager include introducing enough change to produce improved performance, without disrupting the cohesion of the squad, or impeding the development of players already in the squad. PC is a vastly experienced and successful manager, and I have every confidence that he will preserve the tangible unity of his group of players whilst improving the depth and quality of the whole squad.

Agreed. The point I was making is there's got to come a point where we need to 'upgrade' some players. We simply can't keep all of them (particularly the defence) if we want to improve year on year. I suspect we've now already seen the best of some of them. Sadly, King is one example.

#109 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:18 PM

View PostMrTall, on 24 April 2024 - 01:55 PM, said:

Agreed. The point I was making is there's got to come a point where we need to 'upgrade' some players. We simply can't keep all of them (particularly the defence) if we want to improve year on year. I suspect we've now already seen the best of some of them. Sadly, King is one example.

I suspect we’ll see a few (maybe 2/3) changes per transfer window and the squad will evolve over a couple of seasons.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#110 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:55 PM

View PostVoiceofjoe, on 24 April 2024 - 01:28 PM, said:

It’s the overlapping defender's that provide the width.
A good portion of the forward wide players have only got one decent foot and tend to drift inside more than provide crosses from wide.
So pretty sure the defenders will be bombing on as this year.
A lot of the issues have been losing the ball in central areas, as the previous poster said I’ve also heard Cook talk of a box of four in the middle, so think that may be the way we go.

I fully agree with the overlap but we do have wide players who can cross a ball with Mandeville, Colclough, Jacobs and Berry springing to mind. The problem we have is, that our full backs have no real pace to get them back into a defensive position and we need a proper stand-in for Mike Jones because Oldaker isn't one, as yet.

#111 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:58 PM

Someone's posting pictures of rumored targets on twitter. I only recognise Drummond and Cooper. Some bloke in a Hull kit (that looks a bit like Billy sharpe, did he play for hull) and some youth signing a contract somewhere in the past. I'm pretty much out of touch with efl players cos I lost interest when we went down
Here we go again!

#112 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:00 PM

View PostJonB, on 24 April 2024 - 01:09 PM, said:

Thats how we played under him last time around in League 2 and League 1....Morsy and Ryan protecting the back four a bit more giving licence to Darikwa at right back and whoever played left back that i cant remember to get forward.

Our full backs in 13/14 were Nathan Smith, Drew Talbot, Richie Humphreys, Tendayi Darikwa and Ryan Edwards,
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#113 User is offline   spireitecraig 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:06 PM

View PostTrigger, on 24 April 2024 - 02:58 PM, said:

Someone's posting pictures of rumored targets on twitter. I only recognise Drummond and Cooper. Some bloke in a Hull kit (that looks a bit like Billy sharpe, did he play for hull) and some youth signing a contract somewhere in the past. I'm pretty much out of touch with efl players cos I lost interest when we went down

He plays for Hull now, 10 league appearances since signing in January

#114 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:21 PM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 24 April 2024 - 09:27 AM, said:

I was thinking the other day about Cooks last league 2 squad, the difference in defence is massive. Talbot, Darikwa, Hird, Evatt, Cooper, Smith, Humphrey’s.. do any of our current defenders get anywhere near that? I don’t think so. They was probably helped by having a better keeper in net and Ryan and Morsy in front of them however. Notts county’s defenders are a good example, they conceded 42 goals in their promotion season they’ve already conceded 85 so far in league 2 and there’s still another game to go. We conceded 65 this season for comparison. I’m not worried in the slightest I have full trust in Cook doing what needs to be done. I would let go any defender that isn’t currently under contract and possibly even try and move a few on who are.

If you listen to KD interview he clearly said that they sacrificed the defending to go all out attack. Maybe if the current defenders had some better protection in front of them (in the form of tactics) then the defence wont be so exposed to counter attacks.
Cooky obviously signed them onto new contracts with the confidence that a more balanced tactic would work with the current squad.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#115 User is offline   SpireRam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:23 PM

View Postspireitecraig, on 24 April 2024 - 03:06 PM, said:

Not a single 90 minutes played in over a year and will be 39 next season. About as far away from a Paul Cook signing as you can get, I'd have thought.

#116 User is online   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:29 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 24 April 2024 - 03:21 PM, said:

If you listen to KD interview he clearly said that they sacrificed the defending to go all out attack. Maybe if the current defenders had some better protection in front of them (in the form of tactics) then the defence wont be so exposed to counter attacks.
Cooky obviously signed them onto new contracts with the confidence that a more balanced tactic would work with the current squad.

Yes I listened to it, a brilliant listen. I was just pointing out our full backs will still be really attacking, as they have been in all Paul Cook teams, it’ll be our defensive midfielders that have less license to attack, creating the ‘Box’.

#117 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:30 PM

View Postspireitecraig, on 24 April 2024 - 03:06 PM, said:

Really? That's how out of touch I am😂
Here we go again!

#118 User is online   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:35 PM

View PostJonB, on 24 April 2024 - 01:09 PM, said:

Dan Jones I think you mean. Have you also noticed that Morsy and Ryan used to always look for each other with the ball? We’ve hardly seen any of that either it’s rare our holding midfield players whoever that may be have played the ball between each other but I think we will do next season. This season has been more about getting the ball to the attacking players ASAP to try and blow teams away, next season we will require more patience. I can see the posts from the usual suspects about three games in already, gerrit forrad.

#119 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:36 PM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 24 April 2024 - 03:35 PM, said:

Dan Jones I think you mean. Have you also noticed that Morsy and Ryan used to always look for each other with the ball? We’ve hardly seen any of that either it’s rare our holding midfield players whoever that may be have played the ball between each other but I think we will do next season. This season has been more about getting the ball to the attacking players ASAP to try and blow teams away, next season we will require more patience. I can see the posts from the usual suspects about three games in already, gerrit forrad.

"We need to play with two strikers Cookie!"

#120 User is online   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:48 PM

View PostGoku, on 24 April 2024 - 03:36 PM, said:

"We need to play with two strikers Cookie!"

Four four effin two

Share this topic:

• (19 Pages)
  • +