• You cannot reply to this topic

General Election It Is Then... Rate Topic: -----

#161 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2024 - 07:43 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 May 2024 - 09:59 AM, said:

700000 18yr old in uk, so if half opt for national service over uni/college that leaves 350000. so youd be increasing the uk military by 1/3. cost of housing, feeding, training (which will take more of your regulars away), problems of those that dont really want to be there, problems of those that shouldnt be there. will they be trained with weapons or just used for 'labour'.

i think by & large when youre 18 you know whether you want a military career or not. why not use the 'new' money for the above to reward your fulltime military for their efforts (pay, conditions, post service help).

its a desperate popularist roll of the dice by a man/party coming to the inevitable end.

Some decide they want to join the forces, some I served with were offered a choice - borstal or junior leaders didn?t join by choice as such but thrives in the environment - however this is a poorly thought out idea.

A desperate sound bite to appeal to the pensioners who see todays youth as lacking discipline and disrespectful

This government had already run out of ideas and stopped leading/governing anyway - the last desperate attempt of the drowning man to cling onto some flotsa mm that?s drifting by.

If it were a serious proposal it would have been done, or at least mentioned 18 months following Russias war in Ukraine and the need to accept anew reality and bolster the military - it wasn?t so that?s how serious a proposal this is
A new hope.

#162 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:07 PM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 26 May 2024 - 07:43 PM, said:

Some decide they want to join the forces, some I served with were offered a choice - borstal or junior leaders didn?t join by choice as such but thrives in the environment - however this is a poorly thought out idea.

A desperate sound bite to appeal to the pensioners who see todays youth as lacking discipline and disrespectful

This government had already run out of ideas and stopped leading/governing anyway - the last desperate attempt of the drowning man to cling onto some flotsa mm that?s drifting by.

If it were a serious proposal it would have been done, or at least mentioned 18 months following Russias war in Ukraine and the need to accept anew reality and bolster the military - it wasn?t so that?s how serious a proposal this is

What's sad about the latest back of a fag packet announcement (actually, 'what's appalling' is a better fit) is that isn't entirely without merit IMHO. If the leadership of the Conservatives was the like of Stewart, Greening etc such an announcement could have had, at its heart, the desire to provide a positive pathway for kids living is chaos and desperation. As WS says, a structured, residential military environment away from negative influences at 'home' can transform the lives of young people who would otherwise really struggle. It deserves to be further considered selectively as an alternative route for a minority.

The appallingness of this latest soundbite is there's nothing in the track record of the current bunch to suggest that there is an iota of compassion for these kids.

It invites the kind of ridicule that was served up to the government by the media today.

#163 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2024 - 08:45 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 26 May 2024 - 08:07 PM, said:

What's sad about the latest back of a fag packet announcement (actually, 'what's appalling' is a better fit) is that isn't entirely without merit IMHO. If the leadership of the Conservatives was the like of Stewart, Greening etc such an announcement could have had, at its heart, the desire to provide a positive pathway for kids living is chaos and desperation. As WS says, a structured, residential military environment away from negative influences at 'home' can transform the lives of young people who would otherwise really struggle. It deserves to be further considered selectively as an alternative route for a minority.

The appallingness of this latest soundbite is there's nothing in the track record of the current bunch to suggest that there is an iota of compassion for these kids.

It invites the kind of ridicule that was served up to the government by the media today.

And that is the problem of being in power, come up with a good idea and its why didnt they do it before, cant trust them to implement it. But be in opposition and come up with an idea that no other country except Scotland and Wales think are good ideas (and look at their track record) and its ok...

Not defending one or the other just playing back what is said on here and attaching some world wide views on the reality of the policies...

But all is OK as Reeves says Labour wont put up income tax - I assume they mean at all levels and rates and will increase the transition points that they have moaned so much havent risen with inflation.I'm looking forward to tax free pay being ?16000 and the higher rate kicking in at ?64k, wonder if they will revert the upper rate to ?150k plus inflation to be fair to them...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#164 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:17 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 06:19 PM, said:

I don?t think I do! Admittedly I call out some daft spelling now and again - but I don?t see you condemning the Islamaphobia etc on here or the slagging off of our players or managers etc (which I would never do) or other teams etc.
Offer something bruv

Reading questionable again. Challenged s and d numerous times in the last few days.

Going to answer Mr M bruv? No, I doubt it.
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#165 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 26 May 2024 - 10:10 PM

View Posts42blue, on 26 May 2024 - 09:17 PM, said:

Reading questionable again. Challenged s and d numerous times in the last few days.

Going to answer Mr M bruv? No, I doubt it.

He won?t reply mate re my ?hatred/dislike? of the armed forces. He never does, he?ll go quiet on it for a few weeks then suddenly repost it again. Really weird why he posts it tbh.
Needless to say I have the post were he started the lie.
East stand second class citizen.

#166 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2024 - 12:08 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 25 May 2024 - 08:57 AM, said:

The Lib Dems arent going to win and nor are Reform so I'm less bothered by their policies and ideas currently, the same can probably be said of the Tories. I am bothered about Labour as they are likely to be the biggest party and so far are saying vote for us for change but everything to do with finances will be the same and stable.... so I'm confused...

No anti Labour prejudice, they are the party I have voted more for in my life than any other. But if they are going to win I want them to be chosen for what they will do not ABC (anyone but conservative, thanks s42!)

so what I want to know is how will they solve the NHS, how will they appoint all these new teachers, where will the wonderful new border force come from that will be so different from the existing one - and how will they pay for it all given the country has the highest tax take ever and we are pretty broke...

And yes pensions are relevant because the govt is paying for them for a select few - and we cant afford it... and yet we are going to appoint loads more people to jobs that get them....but we arent going to bankrupt the country...

Comments on the others? Reform are just bigots, I dont even listen to what Farage says. Have the Lib Dems started campaigning yet, Davey is useless and will never make inroads as he has no personality. I'd rather Daisy Cooper was given the limelight.... As for Reece Mogg, hopefully he loses and then we dont have to hear him slagging off his own because he didnt get his own way.

As for the Tories being in this mess because they got rid of Boris, they are in this mess because they ever appointed him. Lazy, untrustworthy, soundbite leadership with no consideration for the wider impact of what he was doing. Sunak was on a hiding to nothing as Truss showed. It will do them good to watch from the side for a bit whilst they get their principles and ideas back. Labour have had 14 years to do that and yet all I see is "you can trust us, we will do popular things, but we wont be financially irresponsible but we cant tell you where the money will come from. The one number I have heard - from VAT on private schools - is pie in the sky because if the schools pass on the fee increase then there will be a rush to state schools - numbers starting private school already down as a result of the risk. I'd say that will be unlikely to raise any noticeable money... so black hole number 1....

As for my vote, almost certainly tactical. We have a Tory MP who has been in seat for years, a very active Labour candidate (who does a lot of talking to train companies it seems, very important down here), and I havent heard from anyone else yet... so will see what the options are on the day. Its great having freedom of choice, listening to what they say, challenging what they dont.... as someone earlier said, the days of voting for a party because my grandad did are over for most...

You are Mr Objective apparently? So you only have one choice according to the candidates you have in front of you. . You decide on the day? Your freedom of choice has been somewhat curtailed. Unless you are not Mr Objective. ?Freedom of choice?? Give over. You will vote anything but Labour.

#167 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2024 - 12:19 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 May 2024 - 12:20 PM, said:

Interesting responses. Some very well thought of countries have some form of national service - often for a short period. Yet next to none give the vote to 17=6 year olds, but in true style the board manages to criticise the one that has some foundation elsewhere but not the one that seems to be "young kids will be left, let them vote"

As I skim read it was national service or voluntary service for the community... great, it might teach some of the youth and youthess of today to think of others and it might pass upwards to their parents who clearly brought them up to be like that....

Vote at 16, do me a favour. You cant get married, you cant have legal title to a property, you cant drive... but you can tie the country down to a govt. Will we start having "free Nike trainers for every 16 year old when we get in" as part of the manifesto. My daughter got to vote on the day after her 18th birthday, that was bad enough, she didnt have a clue and didnt really care...

Maybe your daughter didn?t have a clue cos of you? Talking gibberish politically. My kids had a clue at 18 and one certainly didn?t vote like me. ?Nike trainers? ? That is the most embarrassing post you have made on so many levels. It is also the funniest. How old are you?

#168 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 May 2024 - 03:08 AM

National service - if it helps cut down on man bags and vaping I?m all for it

#169 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 27 May 2024 - 04:47 AM

View PostBobby Darling, on 27 May 2024 - 12:08 AM, said:

You are Mr Objective apparently? So you only have one choice according to the candidates you have in front of you. . You decide on the day? Your freedom of choice has been somewhat curtailed. Unless you are not Mr Objective. ?Freedom of choice?? Give over. You will vote anything but Labour.

He repeats time after time that he isn't a Tory. However his words speak differently. I personally do not believe him for one minute.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#170 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 27 May 2024 - 06:16 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 May 2024 - 04:00 PM, said:

Well I did Primary (where I think you may have ceased), secondary, further and Uni if you really want to know. (I?m only an expert in one thing as it happens)

And what is you are a expert in, no sod knows

#171 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 27 May 2024 - 06:43 AM

So the national service nonsense begins to immediately unravel.

Not only are there a host of high ranking armed forces figures dismissing it, but we learn there're huge holes in the gimmick.

What sanctions will there be for those refusing it? Who'll be exempt? Where's the money coming from and wouldn't it better spent investing in full time careers?

Errr, that'll be decided by a royal commission. At some unspecified point in the future. No numbers, no figures, no plan.

'So who do you think you are kidding Mr Sunak'...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#172 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 27 May 2024 - 07:47 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 May 2024 - 08:45 PM, said:

And that is the problem of being in power, come up with a good idea and its why didnt they do it before, cant trust them to implement it.

Not defending one or the other just playing back what is said on here

You think this is, at face value a good idea? Blimey
A new hope.

#173 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:35 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 27 May 2024 - 03:08 AM, said:

National service - if it helps cut down on man bags and vaping I?m all for it

Offer something bruv.

Irony?.

I?ll leave it at that. Enjoy BH Monday.
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#174 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:40 AM

View PostBobby Darling, on 27 May 2024 - 12:19 AM, said:

Maybe your daughter didn?t have a clue cos of you? Talking gibberish politically. My kids had a clue at 18 and one certainly didn?t vote like me. ?Nike trainers? ? That is the most embarrassing post you have made on so many levels. It is also the funniest. How old are you?

Try not posting late at night, your true colours show..

My kids were free to choose their interests, one is that way inclined, one isnt, that's their choice as I didnt force it down their throats and insist on political discussions at the dinner table...

I'm old enough to be planning to retire.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#175 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:43 AM

View Posts42blue, on 27 May 2024 - 09:35 AM, said:

Offer something bruv.

Irony?.

I?ll leave it at that. Enjoy BH Monday.

I?d fully support National Servuce (sounding like an old man here)- it wouldn?t work whatsoever in its old format sadly but the new idea is workable - should be a cross party thing not a randomly thought up idea due to the election.

#176 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:43 AM

View PostBobby Darling, on 27 May 2024 - 12:08 AM, said:

I'm reading and listening, there will be bias in my views based on my upbringing, my social circle, my earnings, but no decision has been made. Local Labour guy seems hard working and decent...havent seen if the Lib Dems have a candidate yet!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#177 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:45 AM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 27 May 2024 - 07:47 AM, said:

You think this is, at face value a good idea? Blimey

I think its an idea, and certainly better than giving the vote to 16 year olds. Where are Labour's ideas...? So far all I see is "we'll solve these complex problems by doing something pretty obvious that clearly others have tried before"

And I think encouraging youngsters to do something to give them a structure, an interest in the world they live in is a good thing. Its not just military service, you have read that havent you...?
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#178 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 May 2024 - 09:52 AM

View Postfishini, on 27 May 2024 - 04:47 AM, said:

He repeats time after time that he isn't a Tory. However his words speak differently. I personally do not believe him for one minute.

Oh my god, fish doesnt believe me, how will I survive. All that matters to me is that I know the truth, never been one to give a flying **** what others thought, especially those who cant see past their nose...

Anyway, took your advice and bought a turntable, nothing too flash but it's entertaining me this morning...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#179 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 27 May 2024 - 12:01 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 27 May 2024 - 09:45 AM, said:

I think its an idea, and certainly better than giving the vote to 16 year olds. Where are Labour's ideas...? So far all I see is "we'll solve these complex problems by doing something pretty obvious that clearly others have tried before"

And I think encouraging youngsters to do something to give them a structure, an interest in the world they live in is a good thing. Its not just military service, you have read that havent you...?

I have yes, a few weekends doing unpaid service in the community with the the fire service etc

Sounds a lot like the Duke of Edinburgh scheme but for 18 year olds.

A load of nonsense- your not really suggesting this is a serious policy surely?
A new hope.

#180 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 May 2024 - 12:09 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 27 May 2024 - 09:45 AM, said:

It?s a great idea - shame it?s ill thought out and would take 4 years to even think about implementing.
Anything to engage youth etc is always a good thing.

Imagine trying to get those Aquascutum/Stoney lads who go to football (I?m thinking Palace Ultras etc. to do anything though - not gonna happen.

On the voting issue - 16 would be a great time to vote - and stop anyone over 65 or with conditions that don?t allow free though (like Dementta as James not so Cleverly said this morning which was stupid of course).

Share this topic:

• (29 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users