Bob's Board: Gerry (Nobby) Clarke - Bob's Board

Gerry (Nobby) Clarke RIP

#1 Guest_MitchCfC_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 February 2023 - 02:46 PM

My grandad Gerry (Nobby) Clarke sadly passed away yesterday surrounded by his loved ones. He played and coached in the 60’s and 70’s and to me is a true Spireite legend! Any memories of my grandad would be very much welcomed.

#2 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2023 - 10:09 AM

View PostMitchCfC, on 04 February 2023 - 02:46 PM, said:

My grandad Gerry (Nobby) Clarke sadly passed away yesterday surrounded by his loved ones. He played and coached in the 60’s and 70’s and to me is a true Spireite legend! Any memories of my grandad would be very much welcomed.

His 2 25 yard thunderbolts against first division Stoke City at the Cross Street end of Saltergate in the mid 60s

they pulled a 2-2 draw out in the last 15 minutes and we were unlucky to lose the replay 2-1 at the Victoria Ground

For the first match at Saltergate we went straight from school for the 445 pm ko pre floodlight days

Also in the early 60s i remember coming home from school and my mother saying she had been making tea for the council workmen who were cutting the grass

One of them was Gerry who said he played football for Chesterfield in the winter

RIP Nobby

This post has been edited by whittman: 05 February 2023 - 10:13 AM

#3 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2023 - 01:19 PM

View PostMitchCfC, on 04 February 2023 - 02:46 PM, said:

I interviewed him for Stuart Basson's book Saltergate Sunset. I still have the audio, I'll put it on here. A lovely man and Chesterfield through and through.

#4 User is offline   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:05 PM

View PostPaul Fisher, on 07 February 2023 - 01:19 PM, said:

I interviewed him for Stuart Basson's book Saltergate Sunset. I still have the audio, I'll put it on here. A lovely man and Chesterfield through and through.

Here we talk about the great Gerry Clarke on the latest Sky is Blue Podcast. Nice words from Phil Tooley and Stuart Basson. https://t.co/I1mlsQFP7x

#5 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 14 November 2023 - 06:13 PM

View PostPaul Fisher, on 28 March 2023 - 03:05 PM, said:

Here we talk about the great Gerry Clarke on the latest Sky is Blue Podcast. Nice words from Phil Tooley and Stuart Basson. https://t.co/I1mlsQFP7x

Nobby was a decent player and gave his all for the club. Lovely bloke, who couldn't help but like, unless you were facing him during a match.

#6 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 10:18 PM

Kit man when I started watching town 1968 rip gerry

Share this topic:

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users