Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Practice Makes Perfect - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Practice Makes Perfect Peter Taylor

#1 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

http://www.wycombewanderers.premiumtv.co.u...1380385,00.html

PETER: PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
Posted on: Sat 30 Aug 2008
By Matt Cecil

Mike Williamson was Wycombe's hero on Saturday as his fourth minute header from Tommy Doherty's free-kick earned an excellent 1-0 victory at Chesterfield - and Blues boss Peter Taylor told wwfc.com after the game that he's thrilled to see the benefits of the team's efforts on the training field.

After noticing that the Wanderers struggled to find the net from set pieces on a regular basis last season, Taylor has set about improving his attacking options by practising free-kick and corner routines with his players throughout the week and he believes Willo's goal came as a deserved reward for his team:

"We scored a good goal today and Mike took it really well; the great thing about it was that it had power," he said. "We've worked hard on set pieces and I thought we looked solid - (Chesterfield's) Darren Currie has a lot of quality in his locker and can deliver with his left or right foot but our players got their heads to his crosses first which was pleasing.

"I always practise set pieces because it makes you stronger defensively and that's one area that I think we will continue to get even better," he added.

The result brought about Wanderers' third successive victory and clean sheet in League Two this season - an achievement which sees them level on points at the top of the table - but the 'gaffer' isn't getting carried away with his side's bright start to the campaign:

"I wish we were saying that after 45 games!" he said. "I still think we will be better in a couple of months but ten points from four games is a great start for us and I'm really pleased for the players. They were very down at the end of last season after losing in the play-offs and after Paul Lambert left but I knew they'd be up for it this year.

"The spirit in the camp is really high and it's a good place to come into in the mornings. We want to be successful and it showed today - the lads have worked hard and done well for themselves."

Last week's victory over Lincoln City drew particular attention to the Blues' attacking talents as they laid siege to the Imps' goal in the first half of the 1-0 win, but this time around Taylor was pleased with his team's defensive display against a Chesterfield side who are likely to be contenders for promotion at the end of the season:

"I'm extremely happy with the result. I think Chesterfield is a difficult place to come and get a result and they had a lot of good possession so it wasn't easy. Maybe we could have attacked more in certain situations but away from home I was delighted to be 1-0 up and then it's up to the opposition to break us down.

"Everybody contributed to the defence and people like Gavin Grant and Chris Zebroski have to tuck in and work extremely hard to help out defensively as well as going forward. It helps the shape of the team and I thought we deserved the clean sheet today, but I also felt we needed a second goal just to kill the game off."

Finally, the 'gaffer' was also keen to highlight the efforts of the more experienced members of the Blues' squad - but added that they might not thank him for doing so!

"The senior professionals are worth their weight in gold for this club, but I don't praise them too much because I know they'll get stick for it from the other lads!"

#2 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:30 PM

"I think Chesterfield is a difficult place to come and get a result"

That's a classic qoute, sounds like somethig our clown would say
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#3 User is offline   Tonycfc 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members