• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Great Defenders

#1 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 18 March 2024 - 04:52 PM

When the greatest players of all time are mentioned they are understandably forwards or occasionally midfield players, usually attacking ones, rarely are defenders mentioned. We have Beckenbaur and Bobby Moore. John Charles who was before my time and in truth so was Bobby Moore's peak, but not many more. In the modern era there was Palo Maldini and his Italian team mates but again little else. In England I think Rio Ferdinand was probably the best of recent years in that he was more of a footballing centre half than his contemporaries. Before him I thought Des Walker at Forest was a truly great defender until he came back from Italy and didn't seem the same player.
A journalist once wrote that England have had only had two world class players since Bobby Charlton, these being Peter Shilton and Kevin Beattie. I think this is utter nonsense in view of some of the players we have had since, but what was surprising was his citing Beattie. Many will probably have forgotten the Ipswich defender whose career was cut short by injury, but from what I remember of him he was a great defender. I would also suggest Hansen and Lawrenson were great ball plying defenders at Liverpool.
However the reason for this thread is that great defenders are as hard to find as great strikers, and it's all very well saying we need better defenders but they do not grow on trees. We have had some really good centre halfs at town over the years such as Breckin, Dyche, Williams, Green, Ridley, Baines, Bell, Phelan, Brien, Blatherwick, etc but they seem pretty rare these days. Find me any defender who doesn't make a mistake.

This post has been edited by Zigsuk: 18 March 2024 - 04:54 PM

#2 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2024 - 05:21 PM

We’re only moving up to league 2 Zigs

#3 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 18 March 2024 - 05:35 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 18 March 2024 - 04:52 PM, said:

When the greatest players of all time are mentioned they are understandably forwards or occasionally midfield players, usually attacking ones, rarely are defenders mentioned. We have Beckenbaur and Bobby Moore. John Charles who was before my time and in truth so was Bobby Moore's peak, but not many more. In the modern era there was Palo Maldini and his Italian team mates but again little else. In England I think Rio Ferdinand was probably the best of recent years in that he was more of a footballing centre half than his contemporaries. Before him I thought Des Walker at Forest was a truly great defender until he came back from Italy and didn't seem the same player.
A journalist once wrote that England have had only had two world class players since Bobby Charlton, these being Peter Shilton and Kevin Beattie. I think this is utter nonsense in view of some of the players we have had since, but what was surprising was his citing Beattie. Many will probably have forgotten the Ipswich defender whose career was cut short by injury, but from what I remember of him he was a great defender. I would also suggest Hansen and Lawrenson were great ball plying defenders at Liverpool.
However the reason for this thread is that great defenders are as hard to find as great strikers, and it's all very well saying we need better defenders but they do not grow on trees. We have had some really good centre halfs at town over the years such as Breckin, Dyche, Williams, Green, Ridley, Baines, Bell, Phelan, Brien, Blatherwick, etc but they seem pretty rare these days. Find me any defender who doesn't make a mistake.

Franz Beckebauer classed himself as a holding midfielder rather than a defender and he is listed as a Midfielder in the WC66 & WC70 West German Squads, by the WC74 squad he'd moved backwards to Defender.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#4 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 18 March 2024 - 06:15 PM

I'll give you Roy McFarland
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#5 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2024 - 07:43 PM

Bill green , Charlie bell and Graham cross all solid defenders

#6 User is online   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 07:45 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 18 March 2024 - 07:43 PM, said:

Add Albert Phelan to that list Warfey.

#7 User is online   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 07:47 PM

View Postfishini, on 18 March 2024 - 06:15 PM, said:

Excellent player, and Brian Labone is another.

#8 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:00 PM

Blathers, Brechin and Evo from recent yrs...
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#9 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:33 PM

Dave Blakey, Tommy Flockett.

#10 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:47 PM

And Colin Todd.

#11 User is online   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:48 PM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 18 March 2024 - 08:33 PM, said:

Dave Blakey, Tommy Flockett.

I remember Dave Blakey, excellent for Town.

#12 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:07 PM

Tommy Flocket was a hard as nails fullback. He headed building bricks in training - that's what me and my mates joked as lads.<br>

This post has been edited by boot: 18 March 2024 - 09:15 PM

#13 User is offline   Carlisle_Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:56 PM

Liam Cooper was decent!

This post has been edited by Carlisle_Spireite: 18 March 2024 - 10:01 PM

#14 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2024 - 10:09 PM

Holmes Green Cross O'Neil
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#15 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 18 March 2024 - 11:52 PM

A journalist once wrote that England have had only had two world class players since Bobby Charlton, these being Peter Shilton and Kevin Beattie. I think this is utter nonsense in view of some of the players we have had since, but what was surprising was his citing Beattie. Many will probably have forgotten the Ipswich defender whose career was cut short by injury, but from what I remember of him he was a great defender.

I think that journo was smoking something he shouldn't have been. Beattie was a fine player but never World Class, and I could never understand the fuss about Shilton who I thought was hugely overrated, and I've never forgiven his dreadful showing in the 1990 penalty shootout.
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#16 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 19 March 2024 - 12:02 AM

My back four:

Darikwa, Dyche, Williams, Rogers (just for the turn 😂)
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#17 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2024 - 01:24 AM

View Posts42blue, on 19 March 2024 - 12:02 AM, said:

My back four:

Darikwa, Dyche, Williams, Rogers (just for the turn 😂)

You must be among the younger element who has never seen Albert Holmes, easily the best full back we have had in living memory. Darikwa was decent but no one gets in over Albert. As for Rogers on the other side, maybe my memory is playing tricks but I thought he was rubbish. Then again it might be sacrilege to some but I never rated his contemporary Jamie on the right flank even he did score our famous goal and was a local lad and loyal servant.

#18 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:50 AM

View PostZigsuk, on 19 March 2024 - 01:24 AM, said:

You must be among the younger element who has never seen Albert Holmes, easily the best full back we have had in living memory. Darikwa was decent but no one gets in over Albert. As for Rogers on the other side, maybe my memory is playing tricks but I thought he was rubbish. Then again it might be sacrilege to some but I never rated his contemporary Jamie on the right flank even he did score our famous goal and was a local lad and loyal servant.

You must be in the older element..😂. But you know where I sit I think so I’ll take that as a compliment 😂.

Hewitt has his place in Chesterfield history (the town not just the football club!) and can’t detract from his loyalty but not in the top four.

As for Nobby…as I say just got the turn
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#19 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2024 - 09:29 AM

Bill Green was my all time favourite CB and Captain.

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 18 March 2024 - 07:43 PM, said:

Green and Cross the best for me.
lindave

#20 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 March 2024 - 10:24 AM

Graham cross tried pulling my mum in palais dance in Nottingham ,

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)