• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Chesterfield
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:25 AM

In the last week Macdonalds, Tesco, Sainsburys and Argos all hit with massive cyber attacks, meaning customers unable to purchase goods.

Any small businesses who refuse to deal in cash are basically committing professional suicide if this can happen to the big boys.

Not a very good start is it?

Cash is king!
Let me in!

#2 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:06 AM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 08:25 AM, said:

In the last week Macdonalds, Tesco, Sainsburys and Argos all hit with massive cyber attacks, meaning customers unable to purchase goods.

Any small businesses who refuse to deal in cash are basically committing professional suicide if this can happen to the big boys.

Cash is king!

I know the IT Director at MacDs, and it wasnt a cyber attack. Sainsburys are saying theirs was a system upgrade, so again not a Cyber attach. Sainsurys own Argos so same there. No idea on Tesco.

Cash is great when you want to avoid tax. Notice when I paid for some flowers at a local florists for mothers day, the till wasnt rung through...nice.

We've been broadly cashless since reopening post pandemic, trade is up about 20% YoY and back to 2019 levels.

Pretty accurate otherwise...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#3 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:21 AM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 08:25 AM, said:

Cash is king!

i actually prefer no cash, only places that don't take cash are takeaway food establishments which dont pay tax and turkish barbers which are a front for money laundering cartels.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#4 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:24 AM

View PostBonnyman, on 17 March 2024 - 11:21 AM, said:

i actually prefer no cash, only places that don't take cash are takeaway food establishments which dont pay tax and turkish barbers which are a front for money laundering cartels.

sweeping generalisations there!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#5 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:08 PM

isleaiw1 said:

1710673608[/url]' post='1811170']
I know the IT Director at MacDs, and it wasnt a cyber attack. Sainsburys are saying theirs was a system upgrade, so again not a Cyber attach. Sainsurys own Argos so same there. No idea on Tesco.

Regardless what caused the crash whether it was a technical glitch or a cyber attack, it’s neither good for the consumer relying on these goods or the sole traders relying on income in a cashless society.

The likes of McDonald’s and Sainsburys will be ok though but the little man will starve and small businesses will go to the wall.

Let me in!

#6 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:39 PM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 01:08 PM, said:

Regardless what caused the crash whether it was a technical glitch or a cyber attack, it’s neither good for the consumer relying on these goods or the sole traders relying on income in a cashless society.

The likes of McDonald’s and Sainsburys will be ok though but the little man will starve and small businesses will go to the wall.

Fact check - show me some stats that say the little man goes to the wall as we use less cash? I mean, not being able to avoid VAT and income tax might mean that businesses that cant make a legitimate profit go, and we will get rid of a bit of money laundering.... but a successful business can embrace cashless and indeed make their life easier...

As for regardless of what caused the crash, its quite important if you have stated with certainty and are wrong. I managed to shop in Sainsburys yesterday by the way, you just couldnt do contactless... so insert card and pay... crap if you rely on your phone but I guess that teaches those people about risk management and always have alternatives...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#7 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 04:32 PM

I sure I've read cash sales, and atm cash withdrawals have increased in the last 2 yrs, personally I always take cash on a night out,(I know how much I'm spending that way) or when I go for a meal, that way I can tip in cash too.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#8 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 06:33 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 17 March 2024 - 04:32 PM, said:

I sure I've read cash sales, and atm cash withdrawals have increased in the last 2 yrs, personally I always take cash on a night out,(I know how much I'm spending that way) or when I go for a meal, that way I can tip in cash too.

yep, first time in 10 years that use of cash has gone up, because its easier to budget, apparently. Although my app tells me how much I have left and all pending transactions, and unless I am sh 1 t faced, its not hard to keep track on what I am spending... and lets be honest, if you take cash you can lose it if you are in that state...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#9 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:34 PM

isleaiw1 said:

1710682776[/url]' post='1811218']
Fact check - show me some stats that say the little man goes to the wall as we use less cash? I mean, not being able to avoid VAT and income tax might mean that businesses that cant make a legitimate profit go, and we will get rid of a bit of money laundering.... but a successful business can embrace cashless and indeed make their life easier....

Fact check! Are you for real? In a cashless society small businesses would obviously go to the wall if they couldn’t trade due to systems going down for a prolonged period of time, small local businesses who rely on local people would go to the wall within days or weeks if their transaction systems went down and they were unable to buy or sell anything.

This last week has shown the world that we shouldn’t be relying solely on cyber technology to make transactions and the option of using cash always needs to be available. Cash machines were busier than ever after citizens rightly panicked after the Sainsbury's and McDonald’s fiasco.

Let me in!

#10 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:41 PM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 07:34 PM, said:

Fact check! Are you for real? In a cashless society small businesses would obviously go to the wall if they couldn’t trade due to systems going down for a prolonged period of time, small local businesses who rely on local people would go to the wall within days or weeks if their transaction systems went down and they were unable to buy or sell anything.

This last week has shown the world that we shouldn’t be relying solely on cyber technology to make transactions and the option of using cash always needs to be available. Cash machines were busier than ever after citizens rightly panicked after the Sainsbury's and McDonald’s fiasco.

There has been little cash used in London since the pandemic, but businesses havent failed. If we are talking small businesses and systems down then we are talking about the whole banking system being down. should we pay everyone in cash in case the BACS doesnt go through? Have the securicor van deliver a load of cash, a team of people making up pay packets, give the little lady some housekeeping...?

Of course there are no risks in that world at all... No one ever lost their weeks wages on the way home, or put it in the washer....

The world is moving forward, you can try and hold back the tide but I bet even your beloved Russia uses contactless and card more than cash now ....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#11 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:45 PM

The loony does realise that the banks charge businesses to pay cash into their accounts adding to the money used for rents etc that absorbs any profit these small businesses could make doesn't he?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#12 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:51 PM

Johnnyspireite7 said:

1710704703[/url]' post='1811336']
The loony does realise that the banks charge businesses to pay cash into their accounts adding to the money used for rents etc that absorbs any profit these small businesses could make doesn't he?

Congratulations for exposing how corrupt the banks are and inadvertently proving my point.
Let me in!

#13 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:21 PM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 07:51 PM, said:

Congratulations for exposing how corrupt the banks are and inadvertently proving my point.

Corrupt? for charging for doing a job? do you work for nothing?

The only point you prove is that you have no idea of how the world works but think you are somehow cleverer because your views are different...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#14 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:14 PM

isleaiw1 said:

1710706917[/url]' post='1811347']
Corrupt? for charging for doing a job? do you work for nothing?

The only point you prove is that you have no idea of how the world works but think you are somehow cleverer because your views are different...

I had no doubt at all that you’d be sticking up for our fine upstanding financial institutions.

They got bailed out by the taxpayer several years ago, still yet to pay them back, awarded themselves billions in bonuses since and here you are openly denying their blatant corruption.

I think the least they can do is keep branches open, let businesses trade in cash and actually assist the British economy and the small businesses for a change instead of just helping themselves and bleeding the taxpayer dry.

You might as well sing the praises of the energy and water companies and tell us that arms dealers are jolly good sorts while your at it.
Let me in!

#15 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:22 PM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 09:14 PM, said:

I had no doubt at all that you’d be sticking up for our fine upstanding financial institutions.

They got bailed out by the taxpayer several years ago, still yet to pay them back, awarded themselves billions in bonuses since and here you are openly denying their blatant corruption.

I think the least they can do is keep branches open, let businesses trade in cash and actually assist the British economy and the small businesses for a change instead of just helping themselves and bleeding the taxpayer dry.

You might as well sing the praises of the energy and water companies and tell us that arms dealers are jolly good sorts while your at it.

so, mister security guard, explain to me what you want the banks to do to help these small businesses? Want to pay in cash, yep you can do that? get it collected from the store to save the time and risk of transporting it to the bank, yep that can happen too.

I suppose the banks could give businesses cheaper banking, although my small business banking was free so hard to be cheaper. But then if they dont make money they wont exist and they will have to be bailed out again, which you seem to be against so make your mind up...

Are the banks above criticism? absolutely not? Do you know what you are talking about when it comes to the pros and cons of cash versus card transactions? Absolutely not. Will you admit it? absolutely not.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#16 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:10 PM

isleaiw1 said:

1710710560[/url]' post='1811374']
so, mister security guard

I don’t think I’ll respond to such a pious individual who obviously attempts to belittle people who he believes are beneath his own superior status and god forbid anybody on a lesser wage than himself dare disagree with him.

I think the first 4 words of your post sum you up in a nutshell my friend so I’ll just leave that out there on its own but here’s my analysis of an obvious southern wannabe tosspot:

You moved from Bolsover to London, work in a posh hotel, kiss peoples backsides who have a few quid more than yourself and now you’re darn sarth you think you’re better than the rest of us, you’re not really happy in yourself at all, hence the obsession with your pension and your constant defence of blatant corruption and the establishment and you more than likely treat your menial staff like total garbage.

Or maybe you don’t like security guards because you don’t know how to behave and you’ve been thrown out by a few but I’m gonna pour myself a brown ale and laugh at the fact that I’ve returned to my favourite message board, rattled your cage and brought back lively discussion to the personal section that’s been dying a death since I went on my 3 month sabbatical.

I wish you a good evening sir (doffs cap) 😉.
Let me in!

#17 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:36 PM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 10:10 PM, said:

I don’t think I’ll respond to such a pious individual who obviously attempts to belittle people who he believes are beneath his own superior status and god forbid anybody on a lesser wage than himself dare disagree with him.

I think the first 4 words of your post sum you up in a nutshell my friend so I’ll just leave that out there on its own but here’s my analysis of an obvious southern wannabe tosspot:

You moved from Bolsover to London, work in a posh hotel, kiss peoples backsides who have a few quid more than yourself and now you’re darn sarth you think you’re better than the rest of us, you’re not really happy in yourself at all, hence the obsession with your pension and your constant defence of blatant corruption and the establishment and you more than likely treat your menial staff like total garbage.

Or maybe you don’t like security guards because you don’t know how to behave and you’ve been thrown out by a few but I’m gonna pour myself a brown ale and laugh at the fact that I’ve returned to my favourite message board, rattled your cage and brought back lively discussion to the personal section that’s been dying a death since I went on my 3 month sabbatical.

I wish you a good evening sir (doffs cap) 😉.

No I quoted your job because i was wondering what a security guard knows about the workings of the banking system, its a relevant fact. Maybe the tirade that follows says more about you than me. I also did a paper on what going cashless would mean for our business so think I speak with some knowledge...

I'm very happy thanks. Good life, good kids, good grandkids, altogether a lucky chap. never been thrown out of anywhere but managed security and have been talking to many of the team this eve, a great bunch (Romanian, Polish, lithuanian, ukrainian and english, for reference).

Kisses backsides? My boss would love that, I am paid to make sure people behave as they should so I am always doing the opposite...

And there you have it for the mods to see. The purpose of your posting is to create trouble, provoke argument and generally be a pain. Blatant trolling.

I wish you a good life. Now you have admitted your reasons I wont engage in debate as you dont care about the debate just the argument...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#18 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 04:03 AM

Only businesses that tend to be cash only now are chinese takeaways, turkish barbers and taxis off the rank. Clearly some sort of tax dodging at such businesses. I was actually in ripley a few weeks ago and was suprised to see a pub there cash only, again clearly avoiding tax. Card machines cost ****** all these days and yeah firms still need to pay to bank cash too. When i used to use cash on a night out it was easy to mis-lay money and often get short changed too

#19 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:22 AM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 07:34 PM, said:

Tesco seemed to be working fine with contactless etc. Sainsburys scan and shop and contacless was out but chip and pin was working. No issues with cash payments obviously - but also no issues with non-cash payments

#20 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:40 AM

View PostHolmesc1, on 18 March 2024 - 04:03 AM, said:

Only businesses that tend to be cash only now are chinese takeaways, turkish barbers and taxis off the rank. Clearly some sort of tax dodging at such businesses. I was actually in ripley a few weeks ago and was suprised to see a pub there cash only, again clearly avoiding tax. Card machines cost ****** all these days and yeah firms still need to pay to bank cash too. When i used to use cash on a night out it was easy to mis-lay money and often get short changed too

You have a very bad opinion of people if you think they are all trying to dodge tax

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users