Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Good Places To Eat In Chesterfield? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (155 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Places To Eat In Chesterfield? Rate Topic: ****- 4 Votes

#21 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

White Lion (I think) at Great Longstone was very good.

Echo comments re Coco. Good food, shoddy service. I cannot fathom why the management don't sort it as the TripAdvisor reports say the same.

There's a new place about to open in town - the old Queen's Head underneath what's now a boob jiggling shop - it's going to be called Browns (no apostrophe) and advertises 'Carvery & Coffee'. I'm not expecting a great deal.

Also the food at the new White Swan was pretty decent for an informal bar meal.

#22 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 12 September 2012 - 07:10 AM, said:

Echo comments re Coco. Good food, shoddy service. I cannot fathom why the management don't sort it as the TripAdvisor reports say the same.

There's a new place about to open in town - the old Queen's Head underneath what's now a boob jiggling shop - it's going to be called Browns (no apostrophe) and advertises 'Carvery & Coffee'. I'm not expecting a great deal.

Also the food at the new White Swan was pretty decent for an informal bar meal.

sounds like they do very thick coffee then if they need to carve it?

#23 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Postfreelander2, on 11 September 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

We've been a handful of times now, mainly late on a Saturday afternoon, we thought the food was OK to good, but the service is poor given the number of service staff.

I'm surprised.

We like it, regular visitors and yet to have a bad meal / service.

Again, visited a handful of times.

The food's OK to good, but the service is absolutely dire. The last time we visited, we refused to ask for a third time if someone could take our food order, so just shy of an hour, we got up & walked out!

We've visited this place twice (mid Saturday afternoon) and have still yet to have a meal!

Whether things have changed or not, I don't know, but they advertised a bistro menu on their website, yet on both occasions when we got there, they were only serving from what looked like an expensive 'daily specials' menu, more suited to Fri / Sat night dining.

If you advertise that you serve burgers / fish & chips, serve the things!

BTW, I'll give credit to the owner though, the fit out is first class.

Here are a few places that we like!

http://www.bellablu.co.uk/

http://www.elmtreeelmton.co.uk/

http://www.lombardisrestaurant.co.uk/

http://www.doregrill.co.uk/ (As the name suggests, not in C'field)

I'd best give Dave Allen a plug too, the food at both Owlerton Stadium & Napoleons is superb.

that's a very helpful reply mate, thanks.

Our Aubergine experience, hopefully, isn't typical. We went when it first opened. Booked a table for 8.30, arrived 10 mins early and were seated on the sofa. It got to 9pm and we were still sitting on the sofa waiting for a table - although there were plenty of empty tables. The young lady brought a menu and explained they were out of this, that and the other. We just got a bad feeling about it so we paid for our drinks and said we'll come back another time when there's a bit more choice. She didn't take it very well tbh and was a bit arsey - so we haven't been back.

I would have never thought of going to Bolsover for a meal! That is a surprise. Looks nice too. I've not been to Lombardi's for ages but we used to like it.

The Elm Tree is an interesting suggestion - I didn't realise they did good food there. Must give that one a try.

We know Dore Grill and have been there with friends a while ago. To be fair I think they are good at what they do. It attracts an elderly sort of crowd and they do simple food, plainly cooked, in the main. It just feels a bit like an old folks home with its blue-rinse clientele and Spanish Hacienda meets Gingham decor. It's not cheap either but I would expect no less in Dore village!

Shame about the Red Lion at Stonedge. It could be fantastic but I've yet to meet someone who thinks it is.

#24 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostNOKIN, on 11 September 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Agree with the comments about the service at Coco's. Its a shame because there is potential for that place to be really good.

We like the Casa Hotel, brilliant food.

Indian Blues is a favourite, we go there often.

Old Post used to be good but not sure now, I think it has changed hands since we last went.

I am tempted to try the Kathmandu in Clay X as I love Nepalese food, anyone ever been?

Yep, been there. I really like Nepalese food and the guys who run this place seem to be genuine Nepalese but I didn't think the food was exceptional tbh. If you're going out that way you might want to try the White Horse at Woolley Moor? Not eaten there recently but it's a nice pub in a lovely setting and the menu looked really good.

#25 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostRPL42YEARS, on 11 September 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Rowleys at Baslow

Scotsmans Pack at Hathersage

The Barrel at Foolow

Monsal Head Hotel - The Stables

Fox & Goose at Old Brampton

some good suggestions there as well. Not eaten at Rowleys for a while but I hear good reports. Popped in the Barrel at Bretton (near Foolow) the other day whilst out walking and the food looked good. Monsal Head I used to there a lot at one time - haven't been recently. Another place very near there is the Packhorse at (is it Great or Little?) Longstone. Anyhow, bang opposite the Monsal hotel there's a road that goes down to one of the Longstone's - it's down there on the left. Very nice food in a rustic country boozer setting. Fox at Goose at Wigley - not eaten there - must give it a try.

#26 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

View Postfreelander2, on 11 September 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Has anyone tried The White Bear at Stretton or The Devonshire Arms at Handley?

The White Bear has been excellent for years although I havent been for a year or so (Skint and now moved away from the Shire). I would highly recommend. The last time I went I had Kleftico (sp) of Lamb and it was the best meal I have ever had.

#27 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Big fan of Kathmandu, especially the Sunday buffet. Food is good and service is excellent.

Also like Lombardi's and Soulville. Both do decent snap and service is ok.

Out of way a bit went too a Mexican in Buxton which was excellent, cant remember that name exactly but will dig it out.

#28 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

We went to Calabria on Glumangate for lunch the other day - it was a small menu but the food was beautifully prepared. I'd like to try the evening menu at some point.

Casa is first class if a little expensive, but they have a superb restaurant and very attentive staff.

Quite a few of my family like the Elm Tree at Heath - the beer was good but i didn't find the food particularly inspiring. It was OK but nothing more.

Fischers at Baslow is the Grandaddy of them all...not too many with a Michelin Star round Town. Amazing food, and there's always something local on the menu as well. I'm sure many might not find it particularly good vfm though. Definitely one for a very special occasion.
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#29 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Calabria >>>>

sick place. but i would've killed for like 2/3 more pieces of that delicious lamb.

#30 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostTHR, on 12 September 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

We know Dore Grill and have been there with friends a while ago. To be fair I think they are good at what they do. It attracts an elderly sort of crowd and they do simple food, plainly cooked, in the main. It just feels a bit like an old folks home with its blue-rinse clientele and Spanish Hacienda meets Gingham decor. It's not cheap either but I would expect no less in Dore village!

Ha ha.

We've been going for years & we always appear to lower the average age in there!

I actually think it's excellent VFM, far better than some on these modern, poncy places that charge the earth & serve very little!

So, over to you, where can you recommend?

#31 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

I can't understand it.

The management that's involved on a day to day basis appear to be nothing more than kids, perhaps with little or no experience & unable to manage people. It's lacking a strong & experienced manager.

We know one of the backers involved & I'm so blinking tempted to say something because it's a real shame.

#32 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

Anyone been to the Carnarvon Arms at Teversal? That's certainly more than reasonable. Pretty much a standard pub menu but well presented. Very popular when we went but no problems with the service.
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#33 Guest_NOKIN_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Good thread this.

#34 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Been to the Browns in Victoria and it was pretty good. Bit chainy but good food. Try the seafood platter!!
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#35 User is offline   If Carlsberg Made Chairmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostBankrobber, on 12 September 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Anyone been to the Carnarvon Arms at Teversal? That's certainly more than reasonable. Pretty much a standard pub menu but well presented. Very popular when we went but no problems with the service.

You`re getting into stag territory there, saying that I did go in a few years ago, the food was decent and do seem to remember unlimited home made chips.
President HubbardPosted Image

#36 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostBankrobber, on 12 September 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

we went there for a family member's lunch on a Sunday, the food was nice, although the manager seemed to hover over us, which is almost worse than having to wait for someone

#37 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Little Italy was great, best meal I've had in a while.

#38 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Not quite Chesterfield..in fact its Sheffield but this place is well worth a mention. Went to a place called Dhanistha's on Abbeydale Road in Sheffield last night after the other half picked up a deal from some Groupon style website. We werent going to go but so glad we did. Not the most inspiring looking of buildings or decor inside but you forget all that with the food and the service which were both brilliant. They do Sri Lankan and Indian food and its as good as i've had in a long time plus the waiter was happy to explain what things were both on the menu and what was coming out to other tables. I had some sri lankan spicy fish starter followed by some sri lankan mutton curry with a name about 20 letters long that i couldnt pronounce and both were really tasty. Other half had some pancake thing for starter which we later saw someone having as a main and it barely fitted on three plates and we were told they do one for 5 people that comes out on a couple of trays followed by a mutton and spinach curry...which she left some of and i have for my lunch today along with the left over bread basket stuff!!

Highly recommended!!

#39 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that makes me smile.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostTHR, on 12 September 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

some good suggestions there as well. Not eaten at Rowleys for a while but I hear good reports. Popped in the Barrel at Bretton (near Foolow) the other day whilst out walking and the food looked good. Monsal Head I used to there a lot at one time - haven't been recently. Another place very near there is the Packhorse at (is it Great or Little?) Longstone. Anyhow, bang opposite the Monsal hotel there's a road that goes down to one of the Longstone's - it's down there on the left. Very nice food in a rustic country boozer setting. Fox at Goose at Wigley - not eaten there - must give it a try.

An old friend is the owner of the Pack Horse in Little Longstone ( Dave Cooper) - not been in for years and years but I hear he's done well enough.

The Monsal was my weekend job in the mid to late 80s when we lived in Cressbrook. The place was a dump until Alan Smith bought it in 85 and was famed for steak butties or years and years. I remember the stable bar as a stable before we gutted it - I used to serve ice creams and teas from the old stable and there was a craft shop upstairs. Menu back in those days was good but all Holdsworths boil in the bag. However I am sure some people must remember the bikers dos and rock gigs they used to have back earlier than then?

The most fabled food in that area what I recall was The Druid in Birchover or The Red Lion in Litton.

#40 User is offline   The_Magic_Man 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostJonB, on 14 September 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Not quite Chesterfield..in fact its Sheffield but this place is well worth a mention. Went to a place called Dhanistha's on Abbeydale Road in Sheffield last night after the other half picked up a deal from some Groupon style website. We werent going to go but so glad we did. Not the most inspiring looking of buildings or decor inside but you forget all that with the food and the service which were both brilliant. They do Sri Lankan and Indian food and its as good as i've had in a long time plus the waiter was happy to explain what things were both on the menu and what was coming out to other tables. I had some sri lankan spicy fish starter followed by some sri lankan mutton curry with a name about 20 letters long that i couldnt pronounce and both were really tasty. Other half had some pancake thing for starter which we later saw someone having as a main and it barely fitted on three plates and we were told they do one for 5 people that comes out on a couple of trays followed by a mutton and spinach curry...which she left some of and i have for my lunch today along with the left over bread basket stuff!!

Highly recommended!!

I've been there. Very interesting place. I had completely the wrong meal; one of those really long pancake things for starter and something too similar for my mains. Everyone else in the party enjoyed their meals a lot more. Good service too.

For Indian's, I always liked the Gulab on Chatsworth Road but I've heard it's gone downhill in recent years. The Steakhouse is okay; does what is says. Very disappointed by the service in Nonna's on Chatsworth Road. Koo's a nice little place, but mainly for lunchtime.

And a special mention to Rowley's in Baslow; top service and a lovely Sunday lunch. Simple menu; as it should be.

Share this topic:

• (155 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users