Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: National League V L2 - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

National League V L2

#1 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:23 PM

So, we are all looking forward to visiting some 'proper' league grounds again and seeing larger away followings at the Sponsorship Stadium.

Of the teams currently in League Two, only MK Dons, Crewe, Gillingham, Walsall, Bradford and Swindon haven't played in the Conference/National League yet. Only Port Vale among the current L1 bottom six haven't played there. Unless I've missed anyone. There are plenty of 'traditional' sides who have come back from stints in non-league but also plenty who have made their way up from spending many years in non-league.

My point is, though it seemed like we would never sink so low until it happened, when it did, it was far from unusual, just as coming back up from there usually happens sooner or later.

Originally one-up, one-down was introduced in the late 80s, eventually becoming two up two down. As more and more clubs find themselves on the wrong side of the trapdoor, they push for three up three down and so on. Personally, I think that churn is a good thing- more mobility between leagues means more excitement, and if four go up from L2, why should only two go down?
These go to eleven.

#2 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:29 PM

Bradford and Swindon look in huge trouble for next season. Wouldn’t be shocked if one or both went down. They are probably safe this season due to the gap between the bottom 2, but if the season was another 10 games longer they would be seriously looking over their shoulders.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#3 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:52 PM

Swindon’s new owner has evidently bitten off more than he can chew, financially, though of course he was welcomed after Shez’s mate Lee Power finally left.
As for Bradford, they do what they want, or so their fans say in awful accents, so I suppose they can choose what division they want to play in.

This post has been edited by Siberian Spireite: 28 March 2024 - 01:52 PM

These go to eleven.

#4 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:12 PM

To standardise the pyramid then yes it should be 3 up 3 down from the PL, Championship, L1 and L2 then likewise to the NL, but now we’re back..stuff it keep it 2 up 2 down, more difficult for Oldham etc to get out of the hell hole!
East stand second class citizen.

#5 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:12 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 28 March 2024 - 12:23 PM, said:

So, we are all looking forward to visiting some 'proper' league grounds again and seeing larger away followings at the Sponsorship Stadium.

Of the teams currently in League Two, only MK Dons, Crewe, Gillingham, Walsall, Bradford and Swindon haven't played in the Conference/National League yet. Only Port Vale among the current L1 bottom six haven't played there. Unless I've missed anyone. There are plenty of 'traditional' sides who have come back from stints in non-league but also plenty who have made their way up from spending many years in non-league.

My point is, though it seemed like we would never sink so low until it happened, when it did, it was far from unusual, just as coming back up from there usually happens sooner or later.

Originally one-up, one-down was introduced in the late 80s, eventually becoming two up two down. As more and more clubs find themselves on the wrong side of the trapdoor, they push for three up three down and so on. Personally, I think that churn is a good thing- more mobility between leagues means more excitement, and if four go up from L2, why should only two go down?

I don't get why it's three up directly from L2 and only two in L1. Has this ever been explained?

#6 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 March 2024 - 03:28 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 March 2024 - 02:12 PM, said:

I don't get why it's three up directly from L2 and only two in L1. Has this ever been explained?

It’s a historical thing. When the third and fourth divisions were introduced in 1958, promotion and relegation between the two leagues was 4 up - 4 down. One imagines that was a sell by the Football League to encourage clubs to agree to scrapping the old Third Divisions North and South.

Further up the leagues it remained 2 up - 2 down until 1973, when it was increased to 3. Four was seen as a step too far.

#7 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 28 March 2024 - 04:35 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 March 2024 - 03:28 PM, said:

It’s a historical thing. When the third and fourth divisions were introduced in 1958, promotion and relegation between the two leagues was 4 up - 4 down. One imagines that was a sell by the Football League to encourage clubs to agree to scrapping the old Third Divisions North and South.

Further up the leagues it remained 2 up - 2 down until 1973, when it was increased to 3. Four was seen as a step too far.

Anyone got any observations on why 4 up,4 down would be considered 'a step too far'?

#8 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 March 2024 - 05:47 PM

View PostHaslandBlue58, on 28 March 2024 - 04:35 PM, said:

Anyone got any observations on why 4 up,4 down would be considered 'a step too far'?

Presumably jeopardy. Bit like only 2 down from League Two.

#9 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:34 PM

Now we’re up close the door and make it votes like it used to be. Sensibly if they want to truly call it a football pyramid there should be equal promotion and relegation places between every level.
Have passport will travel

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users