Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Tonight showed why Rico must go!! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tonight showed why Rico must go!!

#1 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

A knee jerk reaction to 2 points thrown away I hear you say.... Well no just more annoyance at a manager who is completely unable to make positive changes to a game. In recent times Richardson has stumbled on a decent enough starting 11 but if we concede or if changes are forced on him then the guy is clueless.

I've been on 2 trains and I'm still annoyed at the shambles I saw tonight in the 2nd half. Make no mistake in teh first half we were cruising and it was going to be a matter of how many . The shots had a decent amount of possesion but the midfield and the defence were coping quite easily, up front Talbot and Lester were causing them all sorts of problems especially Talbot.

Then half time....

Ye Gods what on Earth did Richardson say and do? He took Till off, now presuming he was injured (if he wasnt then Richardson wants shooting) why not just go like for like with Currie? Why in the name of Christ did he change things around so much? Talbot to left wing, Boden up front, Niven on the right wing and Lowry in the middle. I honestly couldnt believe what my eyes were seeing. He then compounded things further by taking Montrose off for Kerry. In the space of 5 minutes Richardson managed to negate us an attacking threat and left us with a toothless midfield? What the hell is Niven going to do on the right when the guy has been so good for us central?

Make no mistake we were lucky to get a point in the end and a better finish late on would have left us with nothing. I dont think I've known a tactically as poor manager as Richardson, he overeggs his pudding as my gran would say cos I really believe he thinks football is some complicated game when its about playing your best players in their best positions and getting them to work for one and other. I'd started to believe the hype that Richardson was learning from his mistakes but I'm not convinced anymore.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#2 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:36 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Apr 1 2009, 12:38 AM, said:

A knee jerk reaction to 2 points thrown away I hear you say.... Well no just more annoyance at a manager who is completely unable to make positive changes to a game. In recent times Richardson has stumbled on a decent enough starting 11 but if we concede or if changes are forced on him then the guy is clueless.

I've been on 2 trains and I'm still annoyed at the shambles I saw tonight in the 2nd half. Make no mistake in teh first half we were cruising and it was going to be a matter of how many . The shots had a decent amount of possesion but the midfield and the defence were coping quite easily, up front Talbot and Lester were causing them all sorts of problems especially Talbot.

Then half time....

Ye Gods what on Earth did Richardson say and do? He took Till off, now presuming he was injured (if he wasnt then Richardson wants shooting) why not just go like for like with Currie? Why in the name of Christ did he change things around so much? Talbot to left wing, Boden up front, Niven on the right wing and Lowry in the middle. I honestly couldnt believe what my eyes were seeing. He then compounded things further by taking Montrose off for Kerry. In the space of 5 minutes Richardson managed to negate us an attacking threat and left us with a toothless midfield? What the hell is Niven going to do on the right when the guy has been so good for us central?

Make no mistake we were lucky to get a point in the end and a better finish late on would have left us with nothing. I dont think I've known a tactically as poor manager as Richardson, he overeggs his pudding as my gran would say cos I really believe he thinks football is some complicated game when its about playing your best players in their best positions and getting them to work for one and other. I'd started to believe the hype that Richardson was learning from his mistakes but I'm not convinced anymore.

Sounds like he took Till and Montrose off because they were tired so I suppose you have to back his judgement. But Till at halftime and the positional change with Niven out wide was baffling, well not really given its Rico.

Thought we had our chances in the 2nd half but it was disappointing given our domination in the first 30 minutes.

Highlight was the burger van inside the ground after that frigging yomp through woods to get to the away turnstiles. If you came from the station you would know what I meant.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#3 User is offline   J Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:34 AM

Then half time....

very harsh on rico, look what barry and rico has done for the club these last couple of weeks and what is going to happen, bring on the macclesfield, come on spireites!

#4 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

A knee jerk reaction

Well, I agree with three of the words.

Congratulations on catching two trains. I'm impressed.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#5 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:00 AM

View Postdim view, on Apr 1 2009, 07:50 AM, said:

Congratulations on catching two trains. I'm impressed.

Well you are easily pleased. Its probably why you've been part of a fans association with its thumb up its rear while the chairman steadily made you more impotent.

#6 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Apr 1 2009, 08:03 AM, said:

Well you are easily pleased. Its probably why you've been part of a fans association with its thumb up its rear while the chairman steadily made you more impotent.
first of all id settle for a point,but i have to shake my head in disbelief at richardson,he makes one step forward but then takes 2 backwards,niven playing out wide is just ridiculous,derek has one position and it is central midfield,he needs to be involved in games,his attributes are his workrate and his tackling,why isolate him outwide,would you play robbie savage wide right no,would you play nicky butt wide right no,how can a team maintain stanility when you alter so many positions,richardson tries to play the clever tinkering when he is out of his league,stick to the basics in a basic league
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#7 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

would u hav taken a point before hand?
Essex Spireite

#8 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

View PostSpire123, on Apr 1 2009, 08:32 AM, said:

would u hav taken a point before hand?

The fact that people are pleased with a point gainst Aldershot shows you how far this football club has fallen.

#9 User is offline   Rick Payne 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Then half time....

TF,
You're a brave man to be criticising Mr Richardson during this current atmosphere of euphoria, but I have to agree, why over-complicate when a simple like-for-like change (Currie for Till), would have probably have maintained our shape better? I listened on Radio Sheff and I must say we sounded to be under the cosh for most of the 2nd half, so clearly his tactics failed and we could have lost it with 30 seconds to go.

Like I said on an earlier post - a week can be a long time in football. Let's see what next Saturday brings :ninja: ?
I'm embarrassed by the actions of those who run my club.

#10 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Apr 1 2009, 08:35 AM, said:

The fact that people are pleased with a point gainst Aldershot shows you how far this football club has fallen.

Or how far Aldershot have come.

Have you looked at the league table and compared their home form and thier away form.

They're 3 teams in the division who have lost fewer games at home.

#11 User is offline   Hoare (400) 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

View PostBlueprint, on Apr 1 2009, 09:03 AM, said:

Have you looked at the league table and compared their home form and thier away form.

The season will level itself out when we dont have anymore games in hand, then there wont be any if we win our game in hand we will be above such and such, then it will be every man for himself, and we will see who handles the pressure best.

A win at Macclesfield for us and Brentfudd winning at Bradford would be nice though!

Hoare (400)

#12 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

I think the players will be glad when we've stopped playing two games a week, it's taking its toll on some players now, and they're getting ready for a proper rest. Fortunately we've been doing grand in the last few weeks and have put ourselves well and truly in the mix. One more game to go next tuesday, then as you say we'll be where we deserve to be having played the same games as everyone else. I'll be happy enough with finishing 7th, although 4 points this week and next could give us the chance of finishing in the automatic places. There's nothing at all between 2nd and 6th currently.

#13 User is offline   Rick Payne 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

View PostBlueprint, on Apr 1 2009, 09:03 AM, said:

I think the point TF is making is that we were well on top (of a team who are 4th in terms of least defeats) and is baffled by the substitions that could ultimately have cost us 3 points.
I'm embarrassed by the actions of those who run my club.

#14 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

View PostRick Payne, on Apr 1 2009, 09:18 AM, said:

I think the point TF is making is that we were well on top (of a team who are 4th in terms of least defeats) and is baffled by the substitions that could ultimately have cost us 3 points.

"a point gainst Aldershot shows you how far this football club has fallen" That's what he put. Aldershot won the conference last season with the highest points total ever. They are in this division as they won the conference and have done pretty well this season, with their better performances coming at home.

Rico said Till and Montrose tired last night as they haven't played much football this season and now they've had many games all at once, Till also has the on going hamstring issue.

Given that many people don't rate Currie and Talbot is our best wide man i didn't see much of a problem with it, no one complained on saturday when Boden came on and Talbot went out wide as we won*. The Kerry substitution to me also seemed a good one as he's more experienced than Montrose and better when we are under the cosh. I even think Currie should have come on for Lester sooner as Jack was letting Charles get too him and sounded like he was heading towards an early bath.

*Didn't realise Rico changed it around so much when Till went off "Talbot to left wing, Boden up front, Niven on the right wing and Lowry in the middle". I see TF's point there as i'd have thought Talbot would just go wide left and keep Niven and Lowry the same. But i'd still take a point against an aldershot side who have come back from behind to many good sides at home this season.

#15 User is offline   toddhopper 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Obviously Chesterfield FC. Sea Trout Fishing.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Mar 31 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

Then half time....

1 defeat in 11 & its still not good enough!
I'm not convinced by Rico, like many, but you can't argue with our results since Christmas. There isn't a manager in existence who gets things right 100% of the time, so becoming hysterical after a draw at Aldershot seems a bit of an over reaction.
After 46 games will be the time for us to pass judgement on Rico.

#16 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

View Posttoddhopper, on Apr 1 2009, 10:08 AM, said:

1 defeat in 11 & its still not good enough!
I'm not convinced by Rico, like many, but you can't argue with our results since Christmas. There isn't a manager in existence who gets things right 100% of the time, so becoming hysterical after a draw at Aldershot seems a bit of an over reaction.
After 46 games will be the time for us to pass judgement on Rico.

I sometimes wonder if we all go to the same games,obviously your travel boredom has kicked in. Rico cannot make TIRED players perform any better. It was blatant to anyone there that yes first half we should have had more, thats not RICO"S fault. Who knows why Till went off, I would say he felt his hamstring. Don't forget we had no Gritton tonight and if his injury is long term then we are in trouble.
If your going to post then be pragmatic and don't revert to type bewcause of this result.
God I hate this league.

#17 Guest_spireiteblue_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on Apr 1 2009, 10:16 AM, said:

I sometimes wonder if we all go to the same games,obviously your travel boredom has kicked in. Rico cannot make TIRED players perform any better. It was blatant to anyone there that yes first half we should have had more, thats not RICO"S fault. Who knows why Till went off, I would say he felt his hamstring. Don't forget we had no Gritton tonight and if his injury is long term then we are in trouble.
If your going to post then be pragmatic and don't revert to type bewcause of this result.

According to the commentators Gritton could have played but was left out because of the hard pitch as it would have done more damage to his back problem......

#18 User is offline   Jonno 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

Then half time....

Didn't go to Aldershot so can't comment too much, but as someone who has in the past berated Richardson for a lack of activity on the bench when it mattered, I was starting to think the corner had been turned following two positive, pro-active changes in both the Rochdale and Port Vale games. Everytime I hear an interview with him he seems to go on about tiredness - even though he says himself in the latest interview that the players aren't training between games, so I can't imagine this being much of an issue. Saying that, I would've taken a draw before the game, following a long list of good results. At least we haven't lost momentum before going to Macc.

#19 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

There's no one more disappointed than me that we didn't take all 3 points last night, but a draw is far from the end of the world.

TF, see below, you weren't on your own.

Posted on: Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Just had a text which reads as follows:-

Please tell me Till & Montrose carrying knocks cos didn't look like it and he's upset balance of side. And he's now put Lowry in middle with Nivo out wide!

This post has been edited by MP-Spire: 01 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

#20 User is offline   Larkin around 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

It's easy to see what TF is saying, and for people to say it is a knee jerk reaction would be an easy way out. We need standards, that's what makes us better.

It's been apparent throughout Rico's reign that he just doesn't have the managerial ability to change a game. He's gifted with some very good players (granted, those that he brought in - although Niven and Downes are probably the top performers), but when it comes to changing things around, he makes a mountain out of a molehill.

I couldn't believe hearing Lowry had gone into the middle while Niven was out on the right. Niven is every player's worst nightmare to play against. He can have ittle effect out on the right, whereas Lowry has as much strength as a leaf. Very puzzling indeed.

Oh well, we need to hope that we incure no injuries or tiredness in the next 7 games, because the starting line up is always capable of winning.

As Till was feeling his hamstring, Currie was the obvious replacement. As Montrose was tired, Kerry was the obvious replacement. It surely wouldn't have upset the balance.

As good as our form is at the moment, and this is something that Stu suggested on another thread, I wouldn't want to see Rico here even if we got promoted. He'd think that, due to being in a higher league, things should be even more complicated! Niven at RB? Jack on the left wing? I wouldn't be suprised.

All that said, I'll give Rico my full backing at matches between now and the end of the season.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users