Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: European Super League - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

European Super League

#41 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:27 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 18 April 2021 - 08:22 PM, said:

Sky are well aware of the lack of mass appeal of the Champions League hence not really competing with BT for the rights at the last round of negotiations and given the 12 team format being touted I doubt it holds any real British wide appeal, hence I don’t think Sky would be interested.

the financial appeal will be from the far east, china etc.
the teams named have a bigger appeal than the premier league, especially if french & german teams 'reluctantly' join.

#42 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 18 April 2021 - 08:22 PM, said:

Sky are well aware of the lack of mass appeal of the Champions League hence not really competing with BT for the rights at the last round of negotiations and given the 12 team format being touted I doubt it holds any real British wide appeal, hence I don’t think Sky would be interested.

I’m sure major broadcasters would make a deal at a price

View Postmr. smith, on 18 April 2021 - 08:27 PM, said:

the teams named have a bigger appeal than the premier league, especially if french & german teams 'reluctantly' join.

That is a seriously good point
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#43 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:48 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 18 April 2021 - 08:27 PM, said:

Fair point re the Far East, but if it was a real money spinner why the lack of interest at securing Champions League rights?
East stand second class citizen.

#44 User is offline   dazcarrlegend 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

Alternative view... FIFA and UEFA are corrupt- anyone who has read the David peace book ‘how they stole the game’ would agree. Is this the shake-up football needs to free from the shackles of these corrupt organisations?

European teams should boycott the World Cup next and set up an alternative... the other teams would come running.

I see this as the start of well-needed major change, not that I think the ‘big 6’ (Tottenham and Arsenal ffs) have the fans in mind...

#45 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

In other Premier League news imagine the delight of a West Ham United defeat being the ultimate nail in the coffin for Dem Blades

Revenge cold etc etc
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#46 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

FIFA so corrupt they’re happy to run off to Qatar where 6500 people have died building their B****Y stadiums !

#47 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:55 AM

View Postdazcarrlegend, on 19 April 2021 - 08:15 AM, said:

Alternative view... FIFA and UEFA are corrupt- anyone who has read the David peace book ‘how they stole the game’ would agree. Is this the shake-up football needs to free from the shackles of these corrupt organisations?

European teams should boycott the World Cup next and set up an alternative... the other teams would come running.

I see this as the start of well-needed major change, not that I think the ‘big 6’ (Tottenham and Arsenal ffs) have the fans in mind...

The people that run these clubs do not have football as their first thought in this. The supporters are not at the forefront of their thoughts. Money is.
Kill the history, tradition and Pyramid because it makes them money.
They don't even care that when it all goes t*ts up (many years from now) they will be long gone and the respective leagues won't want them back.
Money.
Money.
Money.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#48 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:59 AM

Woke up to this morning to hear this. Lots of rage from fans on social media.

This is American businessmen taking over European football to make money. The 'big six' have given notice to eschew their domestic support and embrace a global TV audience with subscriptions in billions. The end of relegation will secure their participation and profit.

In my view, the idea they will continue to play domestically and play their European games in mid-week, is just a gradual stepping stone towards full participation in a full time European League and domestic withdrawal.

These clubs - or more precisely - the American owners of these clubs - care not one jot for their domestic fans, the traditions of our game nor the damage they will inflict on our sporting culture. The 'big six' should be condemned.

The 'big six' are wealthy enough to ride out a fans' boycott and the potential profits of the new venture would easily cover their losses.

That's why English football needs to hit back head on. If these clubs cannot give assurances not join this venture, then a points deduction/expulsion should follow. They will then be free to become the huge corporate businesses their owners want them to be.

I have a funny feeling English football will thrive without them.

#49 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:19 AM

Football doesn’t need fans anymore that’s the sad truth and this is their way of rubbing our noses in it

#50 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:25 AM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 19 April 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

In other Premier League news imagine the delight of a West Ham United defeat being the ultimate nail in the coffin for Dem Blades

Revenge cold etc etc

I'm not a fan of either club but how is it that West Ham need to take revenge on Sheff U rather than the other way around, after the Tevez fiasco?
These go to eleven.

#51 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:35 AM

What a hero Jose has become if rumours true

#52 User is offline   oldgoat 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:57 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 April 2021 - 09:35 AM, said:

What a hero Jose has become if rumours true

What rumours

This post has been edited by oldgoat: 19 April 2021 - 09:58 AM

#53 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

View Postoldgoat, on 19 April 2021 - 09:57 AM, said:

What rumours

That he refused to take the team out training today following the Europa League announcement.
(From Twitter so poss not true)- but I hope it is

This post has been edited by calvin plummers socks: 19 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

#54 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 April 2021 - 10:03 AM, said:

That he refused to take the team out training today following the Europa League announcement.

Sacked
These go to eleven.

#55 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 April 2021 - 10:03 AM, said:

Its nonsense and was always going to be, by all accounts it was pretty much decided on Friday night that he was going and he's lost the support of most, if not all, of the squad.

Ian Dennis @Iandennisbbc 8m
Mourinho decision based on results. Any suggestion his sacking is linked to a refusal to take players out to train in protest about the super league are nonsense. #COYS

#56 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 April 2021 - 09:19 AM, said:

Football doesn’t need fans anymore that’s the sad truth and this is their way of rubbing our noses in it

Well if it doesnt need fans, who is watching all of the tv streams that are on showing it? I think what you mean is it doesnt need to the old style fan who turns up at the ground week in week out, what it doesn need is those international tv watchers...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#57 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 19 April 2021 - 10:44 AM, said:

Well if it doesnt need fans, who is watching all of the tv streams that are on showing it? I think what you mean is it doesnt need to the old style fan who turns up at the ground week in week out, what it doesn need is those international tv watchers...

This is the thing, they are eyeing up big TV deals to show it in Asia, America etc. In fact i suspect even with it being a European league europe is probably one of the smaller markets for it. Probably be all manner of betting deals linked up to it as well. Start with 12 and look to start new "franchises" as time goes with options to draft players in and sign big names to flog a few shirts with names on etc. Seems the US owners are the main ones behind it probably eyeing up a similar set up to the NFL, probably had heads turned by the massive TV deal they've just struck.

#58 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

By Jove! Rampant unchecked capitalism does it again!

#59 User is offline   SpireiteFitzy 

• The Inglorious One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield fc

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:01 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on 19 April 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

Woke up to this morning to hear this. Lots of rage from fans on social media.

This is American businessmen taking over European football to make money. The 'big six' have given notice to eschew their domestic support and embrace a global TV audience with subscriptions in billions. The end of relegation will secure their participation and profit.

In my view, the idea they will continue to play domestically and play their European games in mid-week, is just a gradual stepping stone towards full participation in a full time European League and domestic withdrawal.

These clubs - or more precisely - the American owners of these clubs - care not one jot for their domestic fans, the traditions of our game nor the damage they will inflict on our sporting culture. The 'big six' should be condemned.

The 'big six' are wealthy enough to ride out a fans' boycott and the potential profits of the new venture would easily cover their losses.

That's why English football needs to hit back head on. If these clubs cannot give assurances not join this venture, then a points deduction/expulsion should follow. They will then be free to become the huge corporate businesses their owners want them to be.

I have a funny feeling English football will thrive without them.

The premier league allowed this. They sold out to sky to make football hugely expensive to watch. They allowed these american and middle eastern and chinese investors to buy their clubs and invest eye watering amounts in the game to make these clubs powerhouses that can work outside authority whilst raising the prices of everything on a matchday to levels that a lot cannot afford. All because they run on pure greed.

And this faux outrage at the ESL is too little too late. No one has taken a stand on ticket prices, on the greed within the game or the direction which it is heading. FC United of Manchester are the only actual evidence of proper resistance towards the authorities and everyone piled in to criticise them.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

#60 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:18 AM

I agree to an extent. This was inevitable as soon as the clubs sold out and formed the premier league, giving every club the green light to put their own £ interests first.

Never been more glad to be a Chesterfield supporter. How many supporters of the 6 clubs will ditch their club in protest, though?
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users