Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Where Will This Rank? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where Will This Rank? Promotion and PC?

#1 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:12 AM

Having followed Town since 1993 I'm intrigued to hear the thoughts of fans old and new over a few different topics related to this season?

Stemming from the Quigley Tuesday podcast (which is quite the laugh), does the inevitable title win put Cookie ahead of John Duncan, Arthur Cox? when coupled with his League Two title and League One playoff campaign?

I think we can all agree the football is much more majestic and entertaining than JD but do the achievements trump, an FA Cup Semi Final, two promotions from the 4th Division and a couple of seasons finishing in the top half of the 3rd tier. And ever so slightly before my time, surpass the Arthur Cox era when 2 points for a win denied us promotion to the 2nd Tier and the side he mostly assembled saw off Rangers in the Anglo Scottish Cup a year later.

And now the League itself... since we came down to this god forsaken cesspit, I've always thought that the day we leave will warrant nothing more than a slight celebration of finally returning to the place I believe we belong, the EFL! It's a far from modest approach, and I fully accept we deserve to be down here and will forever hold to account those that brought us here.

However as the promised land moves closer into sight, the way in which we are returning just seems to make the whole thing much more of an achievement. It's a league that can consume teams such as ourselves as Wrexham witnessed for some 15% of a century, a division that can chew you up and spew you out at the wrong end, ala Scunthorpe, Stockport Torquay and York to name a few. And at times provide referring decisions that make you question the sanity of yourself and all those present at the time!

Some have escaped he right way sooner, Mansfield a season earlier than we will, Grimsby made a documentary based on the fact they were the first team to do it from 7th place, but when the points total eventually reaches an insurmountable amount to forbid us of this hell, and given the fact we've remained patient and head into League Two with a side seemingly capable of offering a challenge towards the top end next season.. is this one going to be the best of the lot?

I've spent the best part of the last few seasons analysing stats and points and PPG wondering when we go up and based on how things are going, though it won't be mathematically certain, a win Saturday pretty much guarantees it in my opinion (though I say that based on the fact we wont down tools and get the extra couple of points to make certain thereafter). But I cant see anyone reaching 84 points personally.

Saturday should therefore be a party and every game thereafter, I understand the trepidation within the crowd the last few weeks and on this board as well, as we just want this nightmare over with, but it's about done with and it's absolutely time to enjoy it and bounce!!

#2 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 February 2024 - 05:46 AM

My dad told me I'd watched Gordon Banks play for Town,not that I remember,but I've seen some great times and some really bad ones too.
Paul Cook, his staff and the team will be up there with both Duncan and Cox, but I wouldn't say better or worse. Arthur Cox had a budget to play with, but the team still needs to be assembled. John Duncan wasn't shopping at Aldi, he mooched around the jumble sales and car boots for players and he played to the strength of what he had.
Paul Cook has been backed, but again he's assembled a team, which I think,will be competitive in the league above and still brought the wage bill down from last season. He's playing attractive football and keeping the fans very happy, so I think that podium is going to be a big un, because all three are number one for me.

#3 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:36 AM

View PostOsborne again, on 22 February 2024 - 05:46 AM, said:

My dad told me I'd watched Gordon Banks play for Town,not that I remember,but I've seen some great times and some really bad ones too.
Paul Cook, his staff and the team will be up there with both Duncan and Cox, but I wouldn't say better or worse. Arthur Cox had a budget to play with, but the team still needs to be assembled. John Duncan wasn't shopping at Aldi, he mooched around the jumble sales and car boots for players and he played to the strength of what he had.
Paul Cook has been backed, but again he's assembled a team, which I think,will be competitive in the league above and still brought the wage bill down from last season. He's playing attractive football and keeping the fans very happy, so I think that podium is going to be a big un, because all three are number one for me.

I think the thing for me is the squad/team can operate in the league above.
Cook obviously had this in mind when assembling the squad.
I dare say this is like a warm up season for the assault on L2.

#4 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:20 AM

I started going in the 84/85 championship season so I didn't see the Cox era. Cooky sits top for me. JD brought success but how many times did people groan when we saw Les Hunter being either pushed up front or subbed on to play up front.
That's not to say that it wasn't fun watching JD style but for the sheer entertainment value it has to be Cooky.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#5 User is offline   philly8mt 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The usual ;-)

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:33 AM

Cookie for me!

I don’t remember (many others won’t) the Cox era and although I’ve no axe to grid with JD at all, the protests at the turgid football on offer remain lodged in my memory.
The FA Cup Semi was a hell of an achievement, but Cookie has us playing great winning football for a second time that should return us to the football league and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it 💙

#6 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:01 AM

In terms of achievement I think JD walks it. He did a lot with very little, but it wasn't easy on the eye.

Paul Cook has had considerably more support but has produced a far more attractive side . If he decides to see this through I really think this could be the start of our best period in football and that challenging for League One may be only a few seasons away.

#7 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:26 AM

Duncan
Mcguigan
Cook
Cox

In that order when achievement v resources are taken into account

Mcguigan
Cook
Cox
Duncan

When entertainment is taken into account
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#8 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:37 AM

After I posted of Duncan’s shoestring squad before, Moondog quite rightly pointed out that the 96/7 squad wasn’t built on leftovers.
Players costing money included, per Soccerbase, Mercer, Williams, Jules, Beaumont, Holland, Gaughan and Ebdon. Nearly all excellent signings.

This post has been edited by 60s 70s Spireite: 22 February 2024 - 10:37 AM

#9 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:53 AM

View Postazul, on 22 February 2024 - 10:26 AM, said:

Duncan
Mcguigan
Cook
Cox

In that order when achievement v resources are taken into account

Mcguigan
Cook
Cox
Duncan

When entertainment is taken into account

I agree about JM.
Who had heard of Dan Archer when he brought him in as Captain ? Stroke of genius.

#10 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:58 AM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 22 February 2024 - 10:53 AM, said:

I agree about JM.
Who had heard of Dan Archer when he brought him in as Captain ? Stroke of genius.

And some free transfer kid from Bury, called Kevin Randall.

#11 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:05 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 22 February 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

After I posted of Duncan’s shoestring squad before, Moondog quite rightly pointed out that the 96/7 squad wasn’t built on leftovers.
Players costing money included, per Soccerbase, Mercer, Williams, Jules, Beaumont, Holland, Gaughan and Ebdon. Nearly all excellent signings.

Deserved support from Norton Lee after his efforts but handling a large budget wasn’t his strongest point especially considering his expensive rebuilding efforts after the FA cup squad broke up.

So which manager build the best legacy. It has to be Mcguigan who left us 10 years of comparative stability and possibly Cook who left us with loads of saleable assets and it wasn’t his fault that the subsequent management squandered those assets. Less can be said about Cox whose era ended in a forced fire sale.

#12 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:09 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 22 February 2024 - 10:58 AM, said:

And some free transfer kid from Bury, called Kevin Randall.

They sold him to Notts County on a Saturday and I never spoke to anyone all day, and I was at a wedding !

#13 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:13 AM

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 22 February 2024 - 11:09 AM, said:

They sold him to Notts County on a Saturday and I never spoke to anyone all day, and I was at a wedding !

A few years ago, a Notts County season ticket holder came to work at our firm. One day the conversation turned to his favourite ever player. He said ‘you won’t have heard of him, a guy called Kevin Randall’.

Grrr.

#14 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:13 AM

Don’t think I ever felt so bad especially as I worked with a County fan. Not helped by the fact that not all of their support fully appreciated him

#15 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:20 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 22 February 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

And when he had the resources his teams played good football.
East stand second class citizen.

#16 User is offline   Painted Wagon 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:26 AM

Your own?

#17 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:27 PM

View PostPainted Wagon, on 22 February 2024 - 11:26 AM, said:

Your own?

No, just a bridesmaid 🤔

#18 User is offline   stainlessstephen 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:29 PM

Kind of relevant but wasn't Phil Robinson stolen from Huddersfield, only to sign for Notts on the eve of the 96/97 season?

Another decent player we had.
Mainframe... Uncle Eric is helping police with their enquiries

#19 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 01:12 PM

View Poststainlessstephen, on 22 February 2024 - 12:29 PM, said:

Kind of relevant but wasn't Phil Robinson stolen from Huddersfield, only to sign for Notts on the eve of the 96/97 season?

Another decent player we had.

Don’t think he was stolen. He was a Huddersfield player but out on loan when he came to us.

#20 User is online   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2024 - 01:32 PM

John Duncan was our best ever manager. With a proper striker we would have reached the First Division (Championship) in 1995/96.

Duncan wanted to sign Mark Stallard from Derby. Lea said no, he went to Wycombe and was a decent goalscorer at that level.

96/97 we should have reached the FA Cup Final without that plonker in black. Lack of squad depth cost us a playoff place.

Love Cook to bits, but he needs to achieve a lot more to surpass Duncan.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users