• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

End Of An Era Bobs Board The Future

#21 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:22 AM

Think it would be a massive error to get rid of the board if it can be avoided - FB groups are terrible. Having a proper, old school messageboard is a real advantage imo

#22 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:23 AM

View PostJonB, on 29 January 2024 - 10:11 AM, said:

ProBoards offers a free option, suspect there will be some ads etc but it could be better than nothing.

I’m sure we could crowdfund an amount to get an add free version

#23 User is online   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:25 AM

View Posthilly81, on 29 January 2024 - 10:18 AM, said:

This is an example of a free proboard: https://deva-chat.com/

That looks fine to me...

#24 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:29 AM

View PostCFC91, on 29 January 2024 - 10:23 AM, said:

I’m sure we could crowdfund an amount to get an add free version

Looks like its $50 a month for their basic paid for plan which is likely to be a bit excessive for what we can\should be crowdfunding. Other paid for options might be available however.

#25 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:33 AM

View PostJonB, on 29 January 2024 - 10:29 AM, said:

Looks like its $50 a month for their basic paid for plan which is likely to be a bit excessive for what we can\should be crowdfunding. Other paid for options might be available however.

Yeah probably a bit much without a sponsor

Also happy to offer some time to help run the place if needed. I spend a bit of time on here, have met a fair via this board and generally think this is the best place to discuss all things football (and good places to eat) so would hope we can find a way to keep it alive

#26 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:35 AM

Yeah this is way better than any other discussion platform despite its flaws. We’d be able to crowdfund plenty if needed I reckon.

#27 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:35 AM

View PostCFC91, on 29 January 2024 - 10:33 AM, said:

Yeah probably a bit much without a sponsor

Also happy to offer some time to help run the place if needed. I spend a bit of time on here, have met a fair via this board and generally think this is the best place to discuss all things football (and good places to eat) so would hope we can find a way to keep it alive

Suspect the initial setup wont be too much to do, as you say its then the ongoing running of it keeping on top of potential iffy posts etc. Hopefully some of the existing mods would be happy to carry on doing it.

#28 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:38 AM

For what its worth, I've recently had a brand new desktop, yet some of the boards features don't work. I can't edit properly or receive personal messages. I think we need a new board that functions properly, preferably for football only. We need to get rid of those dreadful greens and reds as well. This would encourage more comments and stimulate debate.

#29 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:49 AM

The board software is getting on a bit plus its lack of a valid security certificate is, i think, the root of some of the numerous logging in\posting issues that have happened to folk recently.

#30 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:53 AM

Didn't the board used to be officially part of the CFC social media until Dave Allen threw his toys out of the pram? Would the Trust have an interest in taking this on again? Could it be raised at the next Fans Forum meeting?

#31 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2024 - 10:57 AM

This forum was at the forefront of exposing and narrating questionable events during Carson and Co's tenure.

We had a group of contributors patiently yet persistently gathering information certain characters would've preferred hidden - to the point of one person recieving the infamous 'goon' visit.

In fact it's perfectly plausible to suggest the Club would've been in a far worse position had it not been for their efforts.

I don't do any other social media, however I'm told alternative platforms fall way short of such standards. So whilst 'BB' definitely needs an upgrade it'll be hugely disappointing to see it end...

PS: happy to chuck a few quid in if needed...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#32 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:04 AM

View Posthilly81, on 29 January 2024 - 10:02 AM, said:

It would be a real shame if there was no forum. Facebook is hideous for stuff like this. I'm sure a fan set one up a while back, perhaps a proboard. I'll see if I can dig it out.

A new forum was setup but has been removed. Probably due to lack of uptake in members as most stayed on here: http://www.thecfss.c...1

#33 User is offline   spireitedave 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:14 AM

Count me in for a donation to continue.
Should have some pennies to spare as have done Goal Sponsorship for 30+ years mainly because of Jim Brown....imagine he has given it up now and also it costing a fortune this year !!!

#34 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:25 AM

View PostAndy Spireite, on 29 January 2024 - 09:52 AM, said:

I will happily contribute to any crowd funding request for costs.

This forum is very active and would be a massive shame to see it die.

I personally am not on Facebook, which I consider to be an awful platform with an awful ethos, and I am sure there are others who would be in the same position as me.

Absolutely agree AS,that is totally where I am at with Facebook and neither do I do X.I would also be willing to contribute with a Spireites Forum set up, never looked at the personal section so I can obviously live without that,and except for the occasional look at In Memoriam don't think I have looked at any other sections.Would be a real shame to lose the forum part.

#35 User is offline   WEareSAILING 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:26 AM

Likes of the kop choir and other groups on Facebook are a joke and a complete waste of time and pages and posts of arguing constantly.

Hope the board carries on but it does need modernising.

Happy to contribute to any crowd funding etc! If see past some of the rubbish on here it’s actually a good forum! A lot of people using this forum still have dial up internet so they should be able to contribute etc!

#36 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:28 AM

The suggestion that this forum has had its day and that Facebook groups will fill the void is beyond laughable.

Bob's Board has some excellent contributors and for years it has been the go to place for news and information concerning our club. At times, we don't cover ourselves in glory but compared to the average content of the Facebook groups, it's like comparing night and day.

As for the funding of a new board, that's down to us, not the club or the Trust. It needs to remain independent for reasons that should be obvious to all established contributors.

More than happy to chuck a few quid in.

Finally, thank you to Richard. When is the book coming out?

#37 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:30 AM

View PostWEareSAILING, on 29 January 2024 - 11:26 AM, said:

Likes of the kop choir and other groups on Facebook are a joke and a complete waste of time and pages and posts of arguing constantly.

Hope the board carries on but it does need modernising.

Happy to contribute to any crowd funding etc! If see past some of the rubbish on here it’s actually a good forum! A lot of people using this forum still have dial up internet so they should be able to contribute etc!

Does that not happen on here? ;)

#38 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:33 AM

The Facebook groups are garbage, no discussion whenever anything serious is posted, otherwise it's just unfunny kids trying to get reactions.

Would definitely contribute to a crowdfund to get something else off the ground if this forum is done.

#39 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:34 AM

View PostBlue5, on 29 January 2024 - 11:28 AM, said:

The suggestion that this forum has had its day and that Facebook groups will fill the void is beyond laughable.

Bob's Board has some excellent contributors and for years it has been the go to place for news and information concerning our club. At times, we don't cover ourselves in glory but compared to the average content of the Facebook groups, it's like comparing night and day.

As for the funding of a new board, that's down to us, not the club or the Trust. It needs to remain independent for reasons that should be obvious to all established contributors.

More than happy to chuck a few quid in.

Finally, thank you to Richard. When is the book coming out?

I would say that this is the go to response in a nutshell, well said that man!

#40 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:35 AM

View PostAndy Spireite, on 29 January 2024 - 09:52 AM, said:

I will happily contribute to any crowd funding request for costs.

This forum is very active and would be a massive shame to see it die.

I personally am not on Facebook, which I consider to be an awful platform with an awful ethos, and I am sure there are others who would be in the same position as me.

Completely agree. This board is far better than Facebook, which I have never personally used, and never will.

Share this topic:

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users