Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Are We The New Arsenal? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are We The New Arsenal?

#1 User is offline   ingo bingo 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

I will probably get shot down for this, but are we beginning to follow Arsenal's model. I think we should look at similarities.

They built the new ground at a huge cost then for the next few years, lived inside their means doing enough to be in the champions league, whilst paying off the ground debt. They are now fully re-paid and are beginning to flourish. As much as i am not an Arsenal fan, i would rather follow this mould than Portsmouth for instance.

They regularly sold their best players to competitors to fund the debt and Wenger ET AL were heavily criticised by fans. but now they in a debt free position buying quality players, everyone is suddenly silent.

Is this why DS was brought in to do a similar job of finding and developing talent, whilst trying to keep us in this division?

This post has been edited by ingo bingo: 02 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

#2 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

No we are as far removed from arsenal as you can possibly get.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#3 User is offline   Cheshunt Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

The key difference between Chesterfield and Arsenal in terms of servicing stadium is the the commitment of the manager. Wenger knew he was going to have some seriously tough years and was willing to go through with it, and the board were willing to back him because he had a history of bringing success. Saunders doesn't seem to have been fully informed about joining a club selling as many key players as Chesterfield have, and doesn't have the history of success to be backed as much as Wenger has been.

There's also the fact that each season he delivered 10's of millions through champions league football, and while a cup run is a boost it'd have to be major to have the same impact at Chesterfield, and attendances were never a worry (highest ticket prices but very rare to not sell out throughout the period of restraint).

Does Dave Allan seek the Arsenal style? Hard to doubt he wants something similar, but it's not realistic. Having a manager willing to accept nearly a decade of limited spending just won't happen, and that's assuming you get a manager with the skill to keep the team in an acceptable position while selling his best players each year.

I'd argue that Chesterfield are more like Bolton- a debt that's difficult but possible to service, relying on decent gates and the primary aim each season being to stay up, with success being a push to the playoffs.

#4 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostCheshunt Spireite, on 02 August 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

The key difference between Chesterfield and Arsenal in terms of servicing stadium is the the commitment of the manager. Wenger knew he was going to have some seriously tough years and was willing to go through with it, and the board were willing to back him because he had a history of bringing success. Saunders doesn't seem to have been fully informed about joining a club selling as many key players as Chesterfield have, and doesn't have the history of success to be backed as much as Wenger has been.

There's also the fact that each season he delivered 10's of millions through champions league football, and while a cup run is a boost it'd have to be major to have the same impact at Chesterfield, and attendances were never a worry (highest ticket prices but very rare to not sell out throughout the period of restraint).

Does Dave Allan seek the Arsenal style? Hard to doubt he wants something similar, but it's not realistic. Having a manager willing to accept nearly a decade of limited spending just won't happen, and that's assuming you get a manager with the skill to keep the team in an acceptable position while selling his best players each year.

I'd argue that Chesterfield are more like Bolton- a debt that's difficult but possible to service, relying on decent gates and the primary aim each season being to stay up, with success being a push to the playoffs.

AV basically has the support of the fans and the board, he has multi millionaires backing him. We have 1 money man and a manager with no real pedigree - he'll be gone in 12 months because of fan unrest so no we won't be following the Arsenal blue print.
God I hate this league.

#5 User is offline   mattthespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC. MUFC. My dog Raymond who is a Shar-Pei.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 02 August 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

AV basically has the support of the fans and the board, he has multi millionaires backing him. We have 1 money man and a manager with no real pedigree - he'll be gone in 12 months because of fan unrest so no we won't be following the Arsenal blue print.
AW Dave! Easy mistake when you pronounce it with a v I suppose!

#6 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

View Postingo bingo, on 02 August 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

They built the new ground at a huge cost then for the next few years, lived inside their means doing enough to be in the champions league, whilst paying off the ground debt. They are now fully re-paid and are beginning to flourish. As much as i am not an Arsenal fan, i would rather follow this mould than Portsmouth for instance.

We have run at a loss for all but 1 season of the new ground. The debts have increased by £2,000,000.

They regularly sold their best players to competitors to fund the debt and Wenger ET AL were heavily criticised by fans. but now they in a debt free position buying quality players, everyone is suddenly silent.

We are selling players to cover running losses, not just repay the debts.

Is this why DS was brought in to do a similar job of finding and developing talent, whilst trying to keep us in this division?

he was brought in because, compared to the previous 2 who either couldn't or wouldn't be managed, DS is a relatively safe and conservative man - who the club feel can still achieve.

A new hope.

#7 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

credit to the OP for an original post, to be honest don't know, i'm not sure that we are as strategic as arsenal have been over the previous years, perhaps as mentioned we have been selling to enable stability (then again perhaps that is what arsenal have done). big week ahead that may for some confirm that we are going down and DA/CT are out to ruin us OR that we are reinvesting patiently in a sustainable way forward. all I can say is it is going to be interesting, come on town, can't wait for Saturday.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users