• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:05 PM

England Legend

RIP

#3 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:09 PM

A nice fella, met him once at a Manchester Derby. Sad news.

#4 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:46 PM

Really sad news, I saw him play several times for both Man Utd and England. A real legend and a fantastic player. RIP Sir Bobby.

#5 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:58 PM

Only really saw the tail end of his career. It’s easy to forget that most matches weren’t filmed in those days so we often missed most performances. But what a player! Lineker has just described him as England’s greatest. I don’t know about that, but he must be up there. Am I correct in thinking he never got booked?

#6 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 04:08 PM

Like others have posted, my first footballing hero. Played all across the front line and then in midfield. Could shoot and score from over 30 yards with either foot (when asked how he could do that- he replied he practiced after the end of every training session- who’d have thought).
Couldn’t head a ball, until of course he scored in the European Final at Wembley.

Lost so many friends and team mates at Munich, including his fellow wunderkind, Duncan Edwards. And yet went onto have such a great career.

#7 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2023 - 04:17 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 21 October 2023 - 04:08 PM, said:

Like others have posted, my first footballing hero. Played all across the front line and then in midfield. Could shoot and score from over 30 yards with either foot (when asked how he could do that- he replied he practiced after the end of every training session- who’d have thought).
Couldn’t head a ball, until of course he scored in the European Final at Wembley.

Lost so many friends and team mates at Munich, including his fellow wunderkind, Duncan Edwards. And yet went onto have such a great career.

And, the ball he used to strike in those days was much heavier than that played with in today's game.

RIP Bobby and thanks for the memories.

#8 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 04:38 PM

Always came across as a total gentleman in interviews... I'm not old enough to remember him playing but the videos prove he was class...

RIP
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#9 User is offline   Happ Hazzard 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:01 PM

How many of the 1966 winning team are still with us? Not many. Geoff Hurst and a couple of the subs I think.

#10 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:16 PM

View PostHapp Hazzard, on 21 October 2023 - 05:01 PM, said:

How many of the 1966 winning team are still with us? Not many. Geoff Hurst and a couple of the subs I think.

Be a miracle if any subs were alive- there weren’t any in the 1966 WC
According to a national paper tonight, only Geoff Hurst of the whole squad is still alive.

#11 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:24 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 21 October 2023 - 05:16 PM, said:

Be a miracle if any subs were alive- there weren't any in the 1966 WC
According to a national paper tonight, only Geoff Hurst of the whole squad is still alive.

Of the squad there are 4, Hurst, George Eastham, Ian Callaghan & Terry Paine, Of the Final line up there is only Hurst.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#12 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:26 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 21 October 2023 - 05:24 PM, said:

Of the squad there are 4, Hurst, George Eastham, Ian Callaghan & Terry Paine, Of the Final line up there is only Hurst.

It was the online Daily Star who reported that. Probably don’t know the difference between a team and a squad.

#13 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:04 PM

Very saddened to hear RIP Sir Bobby

#14 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:36 PM

I saw him take two corners in succession, one with each foot.
Not many folk are capable of doing that.

#15 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 09:06 PM

God Bless You Bobby, a true gentleman and great footballer. Thanks for the memories.
lindave

#16 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 11:47 PM

Like others have posted, my first footballing hero. ....

....this knocked my duck off to such an extent that I wasn't bothered that our game was postponed. With his connections to the town, I found it kinda fitting.

His goal at Anfield - a great ball by Best to Charlton on the left hand corner of the penalty area followed by a sublime right footer, in his stride, into the corner is my all time favourite televised goal.
RIP.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#17 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 22 October 2023 - 12:04 AM

He set an outstanding example to all youngsters with his exemplary conduct and attitude, as well as his sublime skill. He was one of those world class players who never looked rushed; no matter how frantic the game was, he always looked as if he'd got all the time in the world to deliver a superb pass or hammer a 25 - yarder into the top corner. I was lucky enough to see him play live many times in the 60's and 70's, with the very first England goal of the 1966 World Cup being especially memorable as he absolutely rammed a 30 yard screamer past the Mexican keeper at Wembley. Great player and great man who deserves to be fondly remembered.

#18 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:28 AM

Loved the power he seemed to posses to thrash the old heavy footballs into the net at such pace and the photos that show him literally feet off the ground after striking them.
RIP.
East stand second class citizen.

#19 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 22 October 2023 - 11:13 AM

View Postdim view, on 21 October 2023 - 11:47 PM, said:

....this knocked my duck off to such an extent that I wasn't bothered that our game was postponed. With his connections to the town, I found it kinda fitting.

His goal at Anfield - a great ball by Best to Charlton on the left hand corner of the penalty area followed by a sublime right footer, in his stride, into the corner is my all time favourite televised goal.
RIP.

https://www.youtube....h?v=KRy83aMTNqs

I have to agree with you DV it was a great goal for the cameras but let us whisper it quietly because the BBC think there's only Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford v Newcastle that deserves that accolade lol ;).
I once had the privilege of sitting just a couple or rows in front of Bobby at the Town v Wigan FA Cup game at Springfield Park in 1980. He was doing co-commentary for local radio. As he was busy with that I didn't like to bother him by speaking to him as so many people were but I have often regretted since not taking the opportunity that day of at least saying hello to that great man and absolute legend of English football.
RIP Bobby.

This post has been edited by Alice Cooper: 22 October 2023 - 11:16 AM

Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#20 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2023 - 11:52 AM

View PostAlice Cooper, on 22 October 2023 - 11:13 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=KRy83aMTNqs

I have to agree with you DV it was a great goal for the cameras but let us whisper it quietly because the BBC think there's only Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford v Newcastle that deserves that accolade lol ;).
I once had the privilege of sitting just a couple or rows in front of Bobby at the Town v Wigan FA Cup game at Springfield Park in 1980. He was doing co-commentary for local radio. As he was busy with that I didn't like to bother him by speaking to him as so many people were but I have often regretted since not taking the opportunity that day of at least saying hello to that great man and absolute legend of English football.
RIP Bobby.

That's not the one I meant. This is it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=oXT2-YW1Du8

Clements utterly beaten. The Kop stunned into silence. Needless to say, anybody who's tried it knows just how difficult that technique is.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users