• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Portsmouth Cup Tie Thread…

#21 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:35 PM

Really excited about the Pompey game, but the Gateshead and York matches are more important as everyone knows. I haven't given the cup game a thought I keep wondering what our starting lineup will be against the Heed. 6pts in the next two games would really give me a big lift on our way to the Title.
lindave

#22 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 16 October 2023 - 08:51 PM

sign of the chimes, on 16 October 2023 - 07:04 PM, said:

It's a bit of a running joke amongst the fanbase. We made the playoffs on points-per-game in the season Covid ended the regular season early. Naylor was captain, an automatic pick, and had been pretty much ever-present prior to the shut down; but he wasn't selected in the first XI for either of the play-off semis, replaced by someone who'd not made a league start in over a year; in fact, he didn't get on the pitch at all if memory serves.

When our then manager was asked about it in an interview after the game he basically garbled a response that this was summer football, not winter football and he'd needed to make the change. Nobody quite knew what it meant (including the manager, I think); but it's one of those moments that signified a sense that said manager had lost the plot. Naylor is largely remembered for being a winter player, on that basis.

Glad to see he's doing well with you under Cook.

First of all thanks for the well informed and interesting input.

And yeah, Naylor, alongside Jones and increasingly Jacobs, is really proving his pedigree.

Then tying this up with your stuff about Cook on the other thread, perhaps he was still learning at your place. He was well liked, here. Still is. Well, other than by a couple or three with agendas little to do with football. Okay, a bit of a rogue, but the whole club was populated by what many of our fans deemed 'wide boys' at the time.

So no surprise when all but the usual establishment apologists (I'm sure your messageboard also has a few) sympathised with him heading south faced with the fire sale of his squad and only buttons for a budget.

He's certainly come back a more mature manager, though. Which is probably bad news for a few landlords around Town. Still passionate mind, and still favouring patient, probing, passing football. Still a damn good eye for talent he's still able to attract, too.

Which brings us back to Naylor.

Bit surprised Cook risked such a key player on Sat'di, but all in all things couldn't have gone much better. A confidence boosting win for the squad, no injuries, then a stadium filling, tv attracting tie.

I'd guess none of us are under any illusions - Pompey'll be strong favourites. In fact I'd happily take a respectable, pocket filling exit so we can concentrate on the number one priority of returning to where a club of our stature should be. However I thought the same thing when the Championship Baggies showed up last season - and it took some criminal officiating for them to grab an ill deserved draw!

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 16 October 2023 - 08:56 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#23 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 October 2023 - 08:56 PM

lindave, on 16 October 2023 - 07:35 PM, said:

Really excited about the Pompey game, but the Gateshead and York matches are more important as everyone knows. I haven't given the cup game a thought I keep wondering what our starting lineup will be against the Heed. 6pts in the next two games would really give me a big lift on our way to the Title.

Not forgetting the trip to Kidderminster

#24 User is offline   sign of the chimes 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:44 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 16 October 2023 - 08:51 PM, said:

First of all thanks for the well informed and interesting input.

And yeah, Naylor, alongside Jones and increasingly Jacobs, is really proving his pedigree.

Then tying this up with your stuff about Cook on the other thread, perhaps he was still learning at your place. He was well liked, here. Still is. Well, other than by a couple or three with agendas little to do with football. Okay, a bit of a rogue, but the whole club was populated by what many of our fans deemed 'wide boys' at the time.

So no surprise when all but the usual establishment apologists (I'm sure your messageboard also has a few) sympathised with him heading south faced with the fire sale of his squad and only buttons for a budget.

He's certainly come back a more mature manager, though. Which is probably bad news for a few landlords around Town. Still passionate mind, and still favouring patient, probing, passing football. Still a damn good eye for talent he's still able to attract, too.

Which brings us back to Naylor.

Bit surprised Cook risked such a key player on Sat'di, but all in all things couldn't have gone much better. A confidence boosting win for the squad, no injuries, then a stadium filling, tv attracting tie.

I'd guess none of us are under any illusions - Pompey'll be strong favourites. In fact I'd happily take a respectable, pocket filling exit so we can concentrate on the number one priority of returning to where a club of our stature should be. However I thought the same thing when the Championship Baggies showed up last season - and it took some criminal officiating for them to grab an ill deserved draw!

Cheers Earl. I lurked and posted a bit on here when Cook came to us; and subsequently watched some of the fall-out following that with the Saunders appointment, etc; and have kept half an eye on stuff since then.

I was/am a Cook fan. My sort of manager.

He achieved what he was brought in to do with us; he, Leam and his staff had an eye for proper footballers and knew how to create the right sort of culture for the sort of group they created. In our case, at our club that was under massive pressure; following a very rapid descent to League 2, followed by an inability by the club to get headed in the right direction.

Having followed stuff on here, I did raise a smile when, at points things weren't going so well - and when he left, that some similar accusations about the culture around him and the entourage cropped up as the ones I'd read on here (Casa somewhere if I recall correctly when I read stuff on here, iirc).

Naylor did a decent job for us. Jacobs was nomadic and often injured; but popular enough. They'll probably get the usual 'we've seen you before' chants that get rolled out at pretty much all our ex-players; but they'll largely get it ironically, as opposed to the many who we can sing it at with some gusto.

It's an intriguing cup tie. Two teams with decent results behind them, both with bigger fish to fry; and a bit of narrative with the Naylor/Crackers/Cook/Robbo reunion. I can't speak for the rest of the PFC community but at this point I don't feel we're coming in to it with any real sense that we're favourites. Ultimately, I think it should be an exciting game as I don't think either side will come in to it being deferential; and pretty sure neither would want a draw and the ensuing replay (assuming they're still a thing).

#25 User is offline   Duckys Moved 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Golf<br />Football<br />Fishing<br />Lager

Posted 17 October 2023 - 06:59 AM

View Postsign of the chimes, on 16 October 2023 - 09:44 PM, said:

Cheers Earl. I lurked and posted a bit on here when Cook came to us; and subsequently watched some of the fall-out following that with the Saunders appointment, etc; and have kept half an eye on stuff since then.

He achieved what he was brought in to do with us; he, Leam and his staff had an eye for proper footballers and knew how to create the right sort of culture for the sort of group they created. In our case, at our club that was under massive pressure; following a very rapid descent to League 2, followed by an inability by the club to get headed in the right direction.

Having followed stuff on here, I did raise a smile when, at points things weren't going so well - and when he left, that some similar accusations about the culture around him and the entourage cropped up as the ones I'd read on here (Casa somewhere if I recall correctly when I read stuff on here, iirc).

Naylor did a decent job for us. Jacobs was nomadic and often injured; but popular enough. They'll probably get the usual 'we've seen you before' chants that get rolled out at pretty much all our ex-players; but they'll largely get it ironically, as opposed to the many who we can sing it at with some gusto.

It's an intriguing cup tie. Two teams with decent results behind them, both with bigger fish to fry; and a bit of narrative with the Naylor/Crackers/Cook/Robbo reunion. I can't speak for the rest of the PFC community but at this point I don't feel we're coming in to it with any real sense that we're favourites. Ultimately, I think it should be an exciting game as I don't think either side will come in to it being deferential; and pretty sure neither would want a draw and the ensuing replay (assuming they're still a thing).

If we play like we did against West Brom it will be a cracker, one thing both sides don't need is a replay.

#26 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2023 - 11:00 AM

View PostDuckys Moved, on 17 October 2023 - 06:59 AM, said:

If we play like we did against West Brom it will be a cracker, one thing both sides don't need is a replay.

Hopefully Quigley will be available, we need that option.
God I hate this league.

#27 User is offline   Surrey Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2023 - 04:20 PM

View Postmoondog, on 16 October 2023 - 02:14 PM, said:

It's fine, although the article contains the worst ever spelling of Spireites

I was expecting worse when you said that - like Spyrights

#28 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2023 - 09:19 PM

I once saw "Spiorights" chalked on a Sports Bar TV schedule board in Tenerife. Should have took a photo I guess.
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#29 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 October 2023 - 04:18 PM

HoneyTrippa said:

1697577568[/url]' post='1778393']
I once saw "Spiorights" chalked on a Sports Bar TV schedule board in Tenerife. Should have took a photo I guess.

Birmingham-based town fan no doubt….

#30 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:21 PM

View Postsign of the chimes, on 16 October 2023 - 09:44 PM, said:

What everyone comments on the Sunday ko time.
God I hate this league.

#31 User is online   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:40 PM

View PostDIFH, on 21 October 2023 - 05:21 PM, said:

What everyone comments on the Sunday ko time.

No thought again for the travelling support....
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#32 User is offline   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2023 - 07:34 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 21 October 2023 - 05:40 PM, said:

No thought again for the travelling support....

It’s not a bad KO time for away fans. Sunday morning motorway is generally quiet. Portsmouth to town is 3 1/2 hours. 4 with a stop. Set off 7-7:30 back home around tea time. Mostly daylight travel time.

#33 User is online   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2023 - 10:02 PM

View Posttrickytrevsfanclub, on 21 October 2023 - 07:34 PM, said:

It’s not a bad KO time for away fans. Sunday morning motorway is generally quiet. Portsmouth to town is 3 1/2 hours. 4 with a stop. Set off 7-7:30 back home around tea time. Mostly daylight travel time.

Sunday is a day to relax, after a good rest.. not getting up at 07.30 ( is there actually one on Sundays?)..
I'm sure the pompey Faithfull would have preferred an extra hr or 2 in the cot.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#34 User is offline   Sparkyspark 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:09 PM

Anyone know what Portmouths ticket allocation will be, full north stand or E stand as usual

This post has been edited by Sparkyspark: 22 October 2023 - 08:10 PM

#35 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:12 PM

View PostSparkyspark, on 22 October 2023 - 08:09 PM, said:

Anyone know what Portmouths ticket allocation will be, full north stand or E stand as usual

North stand c.1800/1900 same as West Brom

#36 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:14 PM

View PostSparkyspark, on 22 October 2023 - 08:09 PM, said:

north stand id have thought. arent they entitled to a bigger % of capacity with it being a cup game.

#37 User is offline   Sparkyspark 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:16 PM

Just tried buy the tickets option and area's E1, E2 and half of E3 and North Stand are all locked 🔒

This post has been edited by Sparkyspark: 22 October 2023 - 08:21 PM

#38 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:23 PM

View PostSparkyspark, on 22 October 2023 - 08:16 PM, said:

Just tried buy the tickets option and area's E1, E2 and half of E3 and North Stand are all locked 🔒

They’ll open up the rest of the east stand for home fans when the rest is sold out should demand require it

#39 User is offline   Sparkyspark 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:29 PM

Thanks CFC91 👍

#40 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:42 PM

View PostCFC91, on 22 October 2023 - 08:23 PM, said:

They’ll open up the rest of the east stand for home fans when the rest is sold out should demand require it

Away sides must be allocated 15% of avaialble seats in the FA Cup (It's 10% in the League Cup). For us this means that Pompey have to receive around 1700 seats - most of the north stand (which becomes all of the north stand for obvious reasons). Any team can offer more; they just can't offer less.

Share this topic:

• (28 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users