• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Thread Rate Topic: -----

#4701 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:04 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 05 October 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

After all the large increase in positive tests over the last few weeks, including the spread sheet fiasco, this is in no way being replicated with the same percentage in deaths. The death line is extremely flat. Last week the number of Covid deaths accounted for 1.5% of all UK deaths, that means 98.5% of people who died in the UK DIDNT die of Covid. And yet we have huge swathes of the population in lockdown and thousands of people losing their jobs, livelihoods, mental health etc not being able to see family and friends, not do the things the enjoy. The doom mongering forecast from Whitey and co the other day is so far off of reality it's untrue. Scaremongering of a reckless nature. The fall out will be immense, the lunacy continues.

The only lunacy I see is people not bothering with social distancing.

#4702 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:16 PM

View PostFreddie, on 05 October 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

You have to ask mind you, who was the incompetent member of IT staff to think that an outdated version of excel could cope? Some decisions are made much lower down the chain.

The idea thar an spreadsheet is at the heart of our world class test and trace system is frankly nuts
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#4703 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:53 AM

View PostFreddie, on 05 October 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

You have to ask mind you, who was the incompetent member of IT staff to think that an outdated version of excel could cope? Some decisions are made much lower down the chain.

Imagine if Labour had been responsible for this eh Freddie

#4704 User is offline   Freddie 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:36 AM

View PostGoku, on 06 October 2020 - 04:53 AM, said:

Imagine if Labour had been responsible for this eh Freddie

Would hope the response would have been the same. We all know that many people seek to politicise every wrong decision. In this case it would appear it was a PHE or NHS worker who made a bad decision in either the choice or approval of software. I don’t believe for one minute that any Government minister, red or blue, would be involved in such detail.

#4705 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:37 AM

View PostQuaker, on 05 October 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

The only lunacy I see is people not bothering with social distancing.

There’s plenty more lunacy to be seen such as our disproportionate response to Covid which will result in and is resulting in what Mr. Mercury has said

https://youtu.be/DpInci1g1RM

#4706 User is offline   jack'smyboy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:22 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 05 October 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

After all the large increase in positive tests over the last few weeks, including the spread sheet fiasco, this is in no way being replicated with the same percentage in deaths. The death line is extremely flat. Last week the number of Covid deaths accounted for 1.5% of all UK deaths, that means 98.5% of people who died in the UK DIDNT die of Covid. And yet we have huge swathes of the population in lockdown and thousands of people losing their jobs, livelihoods, mental health etc not being able to see family and friends, not do the things the enjoy. The doom mongering forecast from Whitey and co the other day is so far off of reality it's untrue. Scaremongering of a reckless nature. The fall out will be immense, the lunacy continues.

Go on then, what do you think the solution is?

#4707 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:49 PM

View Postjack, on 06 October 2020 - 09:22 PM, said:

Go on then, what do you think the solution is?

I'm not paid to find solutions, but being as you asked...
Those who are really vulnerable need to be shielded, unless they themselves wish to continue to lead as normal a life as possible, then let them make that choice.
Open all shops and let people in them, likewise all other venues, be it cinemas, concert halls what ever, and let people themselves make the choice. If at anytime you have symptoms then get a test and if positive follow procedure, if not carry on. If you've no symptoms then carry on as normal.
Be more specific re local lockdowns and rules but look at the figures rather than the science, above all else stop the scaremongering, look at the percentage figures re population and not the total numbers as a whole.
In a nut shell let those who want to live life normally, as opposed to the "new, panic the masses normal" live that way and those that don't, dont.
And in reply, what's your solution against bringing the country to its knees for an illness that hospitisation rates and death rates are way below the top figures of other causes and yet are causing untold suffering, lifelong if not fatal issues, and misery for now and years to come for the vast, vast majority of people who will be totally unaffected by this illness.?
Edit..and sack Chris whitey for a start.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 06 October 2020 - 09:54 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#4708 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:20 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 06 October 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

I'm not paid to find solutions, but being as you asked...
Those who are really vulnerable need to be shielded, unless they themselves wish to continue to lead as normal a life as possible, then let them make that choice.
Open all shops and let people in them, likewise all other venues, be it cinemas, concert halls what ever, and let people themselves make the choice. If at anytime you have symptoms then get a test and if positive follow procedure, if not carry on. If you've no symptoms then carry on as normal.
Be more specific re local lockdowns and rules but look at the figures rather than the science, above all else stop the scaremongering, look at the percentage figures re population and not the total numbers as a whole.
In a nut shell let those who want to live life normally, as opposed to the "new, panic the masses normal" live that way and those that don't, dont.
And in reply, what's your solution against bringing the country to its knees for an illness that hospitisation rates and death rates are way below the top figures of other causes and yet are causing untold suffering, lifelong if not fatal issues, and misery for now and years to come for the vast, vast majority of people who will be totally unaffected by this illness.?
Edit..and sack Chris whitey for a start.

There is a lot of personal decision making in that and look what happens when you leave Brits to do that - whether it’s Brexit, electing BoZo, making agadoo number 1, etc etc. Personal responsibility sometimes doesn’t work - take the US 220k deaths and rising (or whatever the number is). If you are happy with the stupid or uncaring killing the infirm, fine... I am not.

You aren’t paid to find solutions but in my job - critiquing others - if you can’t offer up better then the phrase “put up or shut up” is never far away.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4709 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:04 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 06 October 2020 - 11:20 PM, said:

You aren’t paid to find solutions but in my job - critiquing others - if you can’t offer up better then the phrase “put up or shut up” is never far away.

Better is subjective and depends on the metrics you use. His way is definitely better from where I’m sitting.

#4710 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:21 AM

There is a lot of personal decision making in that and look what happens when you leave Brits to do that - whether it’s Brexit, electing BoZo, making agadoo number 1, etc etc. Personal responsibility sometimes doesn’t work - take the US 220k deaths and rising (or whatever the number is). If you are happy with the stupid or uncaring killing the infirm, fine... I am not.

So what's your take on the way forward? Are you happy with the way the pandemic measures are being implemented, would you be more severe, maybe another lockdown, or would you look to finding ways to let the huge percentage of the unaffected public try to get the country, and their and the countries economic and health issues back on track?

#4711 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:12 PM

“If you are happy with the stupid or uncaring killing the infirm, then fine”
Don’t talk utter rubbish.

#4712 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 07 October 2020 - 07:21 AM, said:

So what's your take on the way forward? Are you happy with the way the pandemic measures are being implemented, would you be more severe, maybe another lockdown, or would you look to finding ways to let the huge percentage of the unaffected public try to get the country, and their and the countries economic and health issues back on track?

How long would majority of uninfected stay uninfected? If your opinion was implemented
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4713 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:50 PM

View Postfishini, on 07 October 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

How long would majority of uninfected stay uninfected? If your opinion was implemented

So what's your way forward?

#4714 User is offline   jack'smyboy 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2020 - 05:01 PM

View PostGoku, on 06 October 2020 - 10:37 AM, said:

There’s plenty more lunacy to be seen such as our disproportionate response to Covid which will result in and is resulting in what Mr. Mercury has said

https://youtu.be/DpInci1g1RM

The HP Printer engineer with a diet book to flog, at least find yourself a epidemiologist Goku, even if it is one discredited by their peers.

#4715 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 07 October 2020 - 05:54 PM

View Postjack, on 07 October 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

The HP Printer engineer with a diet book to flog, at least find yourself a epidemiologist Goku, even if it is one discredited by their peers.

https://en.m.wikiped..._from_authority

#4716 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:05 PM

View Postjack, on 07 October 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

What about the growing collection of top scientists who are calling for the vulnerable to be protected whilst the rest of society develops a form of herd immunity by going about their lives as normal?

#4717 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:32 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 07 October 2020 - 06:05 PM, said:

What about the growing collection of top scientists who are calling for the vulnerable to be protected whilst the rest of society develops a form of herd immunity by going about their lives as normal?

What about the top scientists who say this idea is absurd? The death rate would be astronomical. The number of reinfections is rising. So it proves herd immunity may only be short lived. My antibodies have more than halved between my first and second test. Then there is the 20% of the population you would have lock away for a indeterminate time.
You could ask a 1000 people what they would do and you would get 1000 different answers. There is no one fits all answer. If there was it would have been implemented by now. For me personally I will abide by the rules. I go to work, I go shopping, I wear my covering, I social distance where possible, I think I am very considerate to others and will do everything I can to protect my family and others. The thought of infecting someone else by being selfish repulses me. IMO if everyone thought of others instead of just themselves then the virus could be kept in check
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4718 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:45 PM

View Postfishini, on 07 October 2020 - 06:32 PM, said:

What about the top scientists who say this idea is absurd? The death rate would be astronomical. The number of reinfections is rising. So it proves herd immunity may only be short lived. My antibodies have more than halved between my first and second test. Then there is the 20% of the population you would have lock away for a indeterminate time.
You could ask a 1000 people what they would do and you would get 1000 different answers. There is no one fits all answer. If there was it would have been implemented by now. For me personally I will abide by the rules. I go to work, I go shopping, I wear my covering, I social distance where possible, I think I am very considerate to others and will do everything I can to protect my family and others. The thought of infecting someone else by being selfish repulses me. IMO if everyone thought of others instead of just themselves then the virus could be kept in check

Just to add that alough I have a different view to others re the path being taken, I do follow all the rules, mask wearing, meeting, social distance etc and if, at any stage, I thought I had the virus I would immediately get a test and follow the isolation procedure. I don't condone anyone with the virus doing anything differently and never have.
Don't confuse my view of normality with me being a thick idiot who would infect all and sundry!
Edit..Just to add for isleiaw1, also please don't confuse my view of taking a different track being akin to want all the old and infirm to die so that kids can get rat bothered and I can go to football matches again.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 07 October 2020 - 07:05 PM

#4719 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 07 October 2020 - 04:12 PM, said:

“If you are happy with the stupid or uncaring killing the infirm, then fine”
Don’t talk utter rubbish.

So you don’t think there are stupid or uncaring people who don’t abide by the rules? And you don’t think that some people would be given an inch and take a mile?

I would love some normality to return as I have spent 2 days working on further redundancies but the evidence seems to point to the worst environments being poorly ventilated, reasonably busy, with longer periods of people being together not wearing masks, and where they shout or sing....

So pubs, restaurants are not top of my list of places to open up - and I am not sure football stadia (especially concourses) are a good option.

Edit to add table

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by isleaiw1: 07 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4720 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:15 PM

View PostGoku, on 07 October 2020 - 07:04 AM, said:

Better is subjective and depends on the metrics you use. His way is definitely better from where I’m sitting.

It is - but if you can give some scientific support to your view that helps give credibility.

I have been to work the last two days, 10 of us in a conference centre working through some stuff. It was great to have some normality - but we all drove there, we had doors and windows open for ventilation, kept 2 metres apart when we could, used bucket loads of sanitiser. It felt safer to me than a crowded pub- even if it does close at 10pm.

What do you reckon to the new rules in Scotland?
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

Share this topic:

• (733 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users