• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Donny Thread

#81 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 25 November 2015 - 03:42 PM, said:

Only way to get rid of Saunders. Under a new manager results will improve cos they can't get any worse.

Not guaranteed and it costs money, so DA won't even consider it.

#82 User is offline   spireman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:09 PM

Donny manager said they got many one on one's with our fullback, highlighting what I think is our main problem, gardner/oshea contribute very little to defence and not much to attack.Their position role in the team is vital in all aspects of the game, which neither seem to be able to fulfill. I go as much to say we are playing most games with 9. Just my view, Clucas is the player we are missing most and we don't have anyone in the club to play wide in the 442 system.

#83 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

View Postsophocles, on 25 November 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

Not guaranteed and it costs money, so DA won't even consider it.

Falling attendances will cost more, as a businessman he should know that the customer is king. No customers = no business.

Like you Soph I know that DA will not voluntarily get rid of Saunders, so it is desperate measures in order to improve things for us.

This post has been edited by Bowzer spirey: 25 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

#84 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 24 November 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

It's about time they all cleared off.

£9M anyone?

4 defeats in 5?

In just a few short months this football club is unrecognisable

A new hope.

#85 User is offline   Spire-ite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 25 November 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

4 defeats in 5?

Absolutely, go back 12 months or so, unbelievable really. Any other football club with so called ambition, would have pressed on, but no, not CFC.
We hire a manager with a relegation strewn CV, and allow him to decimate our team, formation, and tactics, whilst listening to some bizarre excuses for the results.
Never mind deanie it will all iron itself out....... Pmsl

#86 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

View Postspireman, on 25 November 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Donny manager said they got many one on one's with our fullback, highlighting what I think is our main problem, gardner/oshea contribute very little to defence and not much to attack.Their position role in the team is vital in all aspects of the game, which neither seem to be able to fulfill. I go as much to say we are playing most games with 9. Just my view, Clucas is the player we are missing most and we don't have anyone in the club to play wide in the 442 system.

Spot on.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#87 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostSpire-ite, on 25 November 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

Absolutely, go back 12 months or so, unbelievable really. Any other football club with so called ambition, would have pressed on, but no, not CFC.
We hire a manager with a relegation strewn CV, and allow him to decimate our team, formation, and tactics, whilst listening to some bizarre excuses for the results.

Saunders is no way responsible for the decimation of the team.

#88 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 25 November 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Thanks for that 'SS'.

I respect your posts even though I don't necessarily agree with you. Why? Because you're able to offer an often supportive narrative without resorting to insults or jeers.

Subsequently you speaking in such critical terms carries a great deal of weight.

Unfortunately I doubt anyone at CFC is listening.

Appreciate that Chris, thanks.

Einstein once said "Insanity: Do the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results"

#89 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostSpire-ite, on 25 November 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

It wasn't Saunders who decimated the team. iwasnt Saunders that presided over a £1,000,000 plus operational loss only covered by selling players for huge amounts of money.

Yes Saunders has made some mistakes, poor signings and poor tactics, but the underlying problems at the club are above DS.

An owner who isn't a football man, a CEO who isn't a business man. Not a good recipe

A new hope.

#90 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 24 November 2015 - 09:48 PM, said:

Excellent post.

Everything that's happened over the last year or more stems from the cash haemorrhaging from our club.

Last evening's transcript strongly suggests even the Chairman has no real idea how to address it.

Worse still his appointment of an unpopular and failing manager means crowds will plummet leading to even greater losses.

I genuinely fear for the future of CFC unless Allen sacks Saunders and appoints a CEO versed in business and accountancy.

I'll translate that for the benefit of the terminally negative.

"I don't like Dean Saunders but there's nothing I can do about it, except stop going and then I'd have nothing to moan about. So, although I know that next seasons ticket sales will depend entirely on the results of the last half dozen matches, I'll make some apocalyptic prediction and hope I feel better".

The bad news is, he won't.

#91 User is offline   Spire-ite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 25 November 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

Saunders is no way responsible for the decimation of the team.

As in the signings he's made! = decimated

#92 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

View Postspireman, on 25 November 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Darwikwa is the one we are missing.
lindave

#93 User is offline   spireitewolf 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

a kick in the balls said:

1448471931[/url]' post='1163336']
It wasn't Saunders who decimated the team. iwasnt Saunders that presided over a £1,000,000 plus operational loss only covered by selling players for huge amounts of money.

Yes Saunders has made some mistakes, poor signings and poor tactics, but the underlying problems at the club are above DS.

An owner who isn't a football man, a CEO who isn't a business man. Not a good recipe

Agreed with comments -wasn't DS who decimated team

#94 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Saunders didn't sell everyone off but I think it's clear he's made plenty of poor to average signings and that has obviously contributed negatively to our season.

#95 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

View PostGoku, on 25 November 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Saunders didn't sell everyone off but I think it's clear he's made plenty of poor to average signings and that has obviously contributed negatively to our season.

Smokescreen??
#notapennymore

#96 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

View Posth again, on 25 November 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

I'll translate that for the benefit of the terminally negative.

"I don't like Dean Saunders but there's nothing I can do about it, except stop going and then I'd have nothing to moan about. So, although I know that next seasons ticket sales will depend entirely on the results of the last half dozen matches, I'll make some apocalyptic prediction and hope I feel better".

The bad news is, he won't.

'H-again', 8/10/15: 'Putting words you invent into somebody else's argument is the sign of a lost cause'.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#97 User is offline   Cactoise 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

I think the signing of Wood who was once a very good player,who has now lost the yard of pace to make him effective to partner Evatt who was once a very good player,who has now lost the yard of pace to make him effective was a Dean Saunders masterstroke.

#98 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

I know the vast majority find it irritating when I'm positive after a rotten performance, so here's something to get you reaching for the reds.
In a long thread there are only two people who've made any attempt to analyse what's going wrong. One is spireman and the other, as usual, is dim view. The rest is just blame-the-manager literary ordure, and probably the reason why so many people who used to post sense no longer appear. 5 pages of posts saying the Manager is rubbish might make you feel better, but it ain't half boring to read. What do you think he should actually DO, for heavens sake.
So last night was garbage. Football sometimes is, even under Cookie. Firstly, it wasn't garbage caused by failing to make a profit - the playing budget is way up on last year, thanks to DA.
It was garbage because despite all attempts, and the long term injury to the bloke who was signed to fill the most important position, we haven't got a midfield. Sammy is on his own and three other players aren't contributing. There is no cover for the defence, and very little creativity going forward, and that's down to Herd, Gardner and O'Shea. What we're seeing now is what the defence would have been like last season if it hadn't had Ryan and Morsy in front of it, and despite Evatt being fitter and more commanding this term.
Herd was improving but seems to have stopped, subbing him for Banks tells us all we need to know. O'Shea started the season better but has reverted to his old trouble - no end product in terms of passes or goals. Gardner has the odd flash of genius but is as likely to lose the ball in a dangerous area as find a decent pass. We could probably carry one passenger, because Sammy is still worth two players, but three is only going to have one result.
We can criticise Deano's signings pre-season, but he was left with an enormous re-building job. The serious mistake seems to be Herd, who wouldn't be playing there anyway of Martinez wasn't injured. I haven't seen enough of O'Neill to judge, though what I have seen wasn't encouraging, but he needs a few games. SEB and Novak would be fine if there was anything coming from behind them.
So, he can only hang in there and hope Herd suddenly hacks it, try O'Neill, or go for a seriously good loan signing. Crack the business of a partner for Sammy and the rest might not fall into place, but we'd certainly be a lot tougher proposition. Add another midfielder with a bit of creativity - and who can track back productively - and we'd start to go places.
Big ask - I just hope he hasn't spent all the budget yet, because I can't see much future with the present lot. Just tinkering is no longer an option. Comfortable mid-table would be a good result after losing half the team - flirting with relegation can be avoided but only with a couple of good loan signings.

#99 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:35 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 25 November 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

I went last night, and here is my take after a good 12+ hours to calm down and consider the performance:

First half - as a bad a performance I can remember from a town side for a long, long time. No passion, direction, leadership, obvious tactics and we could have easily been 3/4 down at HT.

Second half - we started brightly and were definitely on top for 10/15 mins, looked dangerous and they were rattled. We then gave away a silly, needless penalty and conceded. We then looked like we still had the impetuous, but to lose possession on your opponents 18 yard box, and within 3 passes concede a goal is bad, very bad. The third goal was irrelevant really, just a silly mistake from a player who should know better (Mr Moody used to drill in to us at Westwood that playing the ball across your own 18 yard box was suicidal!!).

As a one off, losing in the manner we did, in those circumstances (albeit never acceptable), is arguably explainable.

However, its not a one-off and is seemingly becoming a trend so can't really be bad luck and even the most optimistic fan like me must be starting to fear the worst!

Saturday isn't/can't be a 'Must Win' in terms of the season but anything other than a home win will have the vultures circulating. Add to that a sub 3,000 home attendance against Walsall (even at £12) will surely ring the loudest of alarm bells in the boardroom.

Something needs to change, fast!

didn't go last night, but if it was worse than Blackpool then god help us!

#100 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 25 November 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

4 defeats in 5?

You are right a few short months ago we lost 4 games out of 4 - February 2915.

I'm not sticking up for anybody, manager or players, but I do think the latter need to take a good look at themselves.

I have recently watched the lowlights of last nights game - why, oh why, do defenders like Hird at RB insist on playing sloppy balls into the middle of our defence, so called passes which just beg to be intercepted, and this after his sloppy header into the middle of our penalty area gave Port Vale a goal only the match previously, then he decides to vacate the RB position leaving their left wing vacant for their player to lay on the second goal. On't other side we've got Jones who managed to give a penalty away and get us reduced to 10 men recently at 0-0 this time gives away a needless hand-ball for another penalty (surprised he didn't get booked by the way) again at 0-0. Then back to the sloppy passing inside again by the very experienced Evatt to create their third goal.

Now, up front we didn't test their goal-keeper once yet we had some good chances, Gardner couldn't force the keeper to make a save with an excellent chance early on, O'Shea dribbled all the way into the six yard box until he ran out of shooting options so never got a shot away, and SEB with several efforts seemed eager to prove his shocking miss at Port Vale was no fluke.

Yes, our football might be woeful, but, eh, there are times when you simply have to acknowledge that in the words of the infamous Peter Allis when describing his son-in-law "could have done better" ring very true for the performances of the majority of our players.

Saunders has said that if they continue to not do what he wants them to do then they will lose their places. Well if he has told them to do what they are doing then fair enough Dean it's all your fault but if they are not playing to your instructions I reckon there should be a good number of changes on Saturday - I'd start with 4 different defenders say Raglan and 3 new faces so you had better be busy on loan deadline day.

This post has been edited by dtp: 25 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users