• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The End Of Labour? Rate Topic: -----

#2701 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 March 2024 - 06:45 AM

So pick the bones out of the Rochdale result.

It used to be a Lib' Dem' seat. But they finished fifth.

Fifth.

Yet that was above the home for Islamophobes Re-thingy. Who put up the former MP Danczuk.

And both below - BELOW - the disgraced Azhar Ali.

Tories third. Meh.

Galloway won, though. Spewing out borderline anti-Semitism. Alongside a plethora of similarly divisive views. In fact in his own way an Anderson of the Left.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed sooner rather than later. In the meantime Galloway will be a circus act who, bizarrely, might benefit Labour by portraying them as a moderate party appealling to the middle third voter...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2702 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:33 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 March 2024 - 06:45 AM, said:

Fifth.

Yet that was above the home for Islamophobes Re-thingy. Who put up the former MP Danczuk.

Tories third. Meh.

Galloway won, though. Spewing out borderline anti-Semitism. Alongside a plethora of similarly divisive views. In fact in his own way an Anderson of the Left.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed sooner rather than later. In the meantime Galloway will be a circus act who, bizarrely, might benefit Labour by portraying them as a moderate party appealling to the middle third voter...

Lets start with the important bit, 37% turnout. So most people couldnt be bothered.

Then the bit you seem to have managed to gloss over. The guy selected by Labour but not carrying the Labour rosette came fourth. Now does that mean people only really vote for the rosette and not the person or the policies, as I imagine he would have been following Labour policies having been Labour's choice?

Bad day for politics when someone like Galloway gets elected - but probably says alot about the make up of that constituency and how important the conflict is to Labour given the make up of their vote.

One other bit you missed Chris, Momentum (remember them) have used it as an excuse to tear into SKS about his policies on Gaza. Now ask me again one of the reasons why I worry about an future Labour govt. They havent even got elected yet and the left are trying to change their policy stance...

Apparently Galloway is saying that his party could do to Labour what Reform might do the Tories and if not win the seat then split the vote at the next election. Of course its crap as when it matters people wont vote for the fringe parties (like the Lib Dems :)) but I thought you'd have picked up on that as you've been spouting it so much about reform and the Tory vote recently....

PS you really do want to be a politician dont you - "it used to be a Lib Dem seat" - once, in 2010 when it seemed to be anything except Labour could win and of course it would never be the Tories in Rochdale. Probably better to say "Labour last threw it away in 2010 and have managed to do it again in 2024"

PPS an independent standing on local issues (including the financial state of the football club) came second. Shame he didnt make it, might have given some publicity to the inequality around finance in football and how crap the management of the NL is given the clubs in there are now generally on a standing with EFL L2 clubs...

This post has been edited by isleaiw1: 01 March 2024 - 08:40 AM

Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#2703 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:02 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 01 March 2024 - 08:33 AM, said:

Lets start with the important bit, 37% turnout. So most people couldnt be bothered.

Then the bit you seem to have managed to gloss over. The guy selected by Labour but not carrying the Labour rosette came fourth. Now does that mean people only really vote for the rosette and not the person or the policies, as I imagine he would have been following Labour policies having been Labour's choice?

Bad day for politics when someone like Galloway gets elected - but probably says alot about the make up of that constituency and how important the conflict is to Labour given the make up of their vote.

One other bit you missed Chris, Momentum (remember them) have used it as an excuse to tear into SKS about his policies on Gaza. Now ask me again one of the reasons why I worry about an future Labour govt. They havent even got elected yet and the left are trying to change their policy stance...

Apparently Galloway is saying that his party could do to Labour what Reform might do the Tories and if not win the seat then split the vote at the next election. Of course its crap as when it matters people wont vote for the fringe parties (like the Lib Dems :)) but I thought you'd have picked up on that as you've been spouting it so much about reform and the Tory vote recently....

PS you really do want to be a politician dont you - "it used to be a Lib Dem seat" - once, in 2010 when it seemed to be anything except Labour could win and of course it would never be the Tories in Rochdale. Probably better to say "Labour last threw it away in 2010 and have managed to do it again in 2024"

PPS an independent standing on local issues (including the financial state of the football club) came second. Shame he didnt make it, might have given some publicity to the inequality around finance in football and how crap the management of the NL is given the clubs in there are now generally on a standing with EFL L2 clubs...

Surprise-surprise; our friend Ian spends sooooo many words getting stuck into Labour again.

Oh, and remember Cyril Smith? The long term Liberal MP?

It says everything that Galloway spent his entire acceptance speech ripping into Labour and SKS rather than the Government or Netanyahu.

Just like you, in fact.

But the simple truth is you can use his bitter sneers to once again peddle conspiracy theories all you want. Yet surely a bloke who'll never be Labour again being elected after they quickly withdrew their candidate over offensive comments shows how absurd those conspiracy theories really are...

#2704 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:44 AM

I’ll try and offer an opinion.
It was always going to be tricky for Labour after the withdrawn support for their candidate, and in an opponent like Galloway they faced a wily old political fox who’s a complete expert in plugging division politics and in Rochdale it was a prime hunting ground for him, and it was no surprise to any political commentators that he won comfortably. The second place falling to an independent candidate probably said a lot about what rank and file voters thought about the state of politics at the moment, that and the low turn out.
I’d imagine the Tories are quietly pleased with third place while it’s been a bad for both the Lib Dem’s and Reform, obviously different constituencies with different voting demographics will probably see different results even if that’s not matched by elected MP numbers, I’d be surprised if Reform UK actually won any seats, although Ashfield could be close if Anderson switches to Reform, while the Lib Dem’s will obviously return MPs.
The worry for Labour is Galloway obviously attacking KS on the Gaza issue, not because he doesn’t see the Tories as the enemy, he does in a Gaza stance, but he realises the core support he can take away from Labour are the inner city constituencies were a large % of the voters view it as a major issue.
He says he intends to stand 50 candidates for his workers party and I’ve no doubt that’ll be areas were he feels Labour will be vunerable. Whether they would be as successful as Galloway, remains to be seen, although I doubt it. In those target constituencies there won’t be the debacle of no Labour candidate, neither will Galloways candidate have the media circus or indeed “charisma” that he has. So although Rochdale was a massive headache for KS and they’ll be some uncomfortable moments in the house for him and Labour when Galloway is on his soap box making a speech, something, he’s brilliant at, I doubt if will alter the result too much at the next election.
East stand second class citizen.

#2705 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:46 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 March 2024 - 06:45 AM, said:

Fifth.

Tories third. Meh.

I’m sure “normal service” will resume and there’ll be a Labour win. Time will tell by how much. To be contrary I can see a landslide one day; a just sneaking over the line the next day. Labour still seem to be relying on “We’re not the Tories” as a plan.

Great spin too….It was a Lib Dem seat….years ago! It’s really easy to spin stats. Here’s one (which is obviously nonsense but factually correct!) : “Tories come first in Rochdale from the major parties”

Here’s another: “In 30% Muslim populated Rochdale Tories come first of major parties dismissing fears of defeat to Islamophobia”.

In the whole…another sad day for politics.

Ps Rethingy? Didn’t think name-calling was a thing?

This post has been edited by s42blue: 01 March 2024 - 09:47 AM

"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#2706 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:10 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 March 2024 - 09:02 AM, said:

Surprise-surprise; our friend Ian spends sooooo many words getting stuck into Labour again.

Oh, and remember Cyril Smith? The long term Liberal MP?

It says everything that Galloway spent his entire acceptance speech ripping into Labour and SKS rather than the Government or Netanyahu.

Just like you, in fact.

But the simple truth is you can use his bitter sneers to once again peddle conspiracy theories all you want. Yet surely a bloke who'll never be Labour again being elected after they quickly withdrew their candidate over offensive comments shows how absurd those conspiracy theories really are...

I really think you need to read what is written Chris not what you hoped I'd write. I picked you up for not mentioning the quasi Labour result (or the turnout).

I just about remember Smith, bit before my interest in politics to be honest, and obviously a Lib, not a Lib Dem.... and if you say that doesnt matter, just remember how much Labour stressed the New bit in New Labour to get elected.... He stood down in 1992 by the way, more than 30 years ago....and opposed the merger with the social democrats. Also a lot of "concerns" around him as an individual since then which possibly goes against the LD vote, who knows...

My comments if you read them were:
crap turnout, so we can infer nothing
the quasi labour chap did crap - is that because people vote for the party not the person (I'll say that quite a lot as we know there are some people who would vote Labour or tory if it was a donkey representing the party)
Galloway is a disgrace
He reckons he can do to Labour vote what Reform say they can do to the Tory vote at a GE, I disagree, what do you think...how does SKS keep the Labour vote together when certain parts of their support are on a very different page over Gaza?

Anyway it was a crap night for pretty much everyone - but especially politics.

(oh and I mentioned Momentum piping up because I hate what Momentum did to Labour).
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#2707 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:36 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 01 March 2024 - 09:44 AM, said:

I’ll try and offer an opinion.
It was always going to be tricky for Labour after the withdrawn support for their candidate, and in an opponent like Galloway they faced a wily old political fox who’s a complete expert in plugging division politics and in Rochdale it was a prime hunting ground for him, and it was no surprise to any political commentators that he won comfortably. The second place falling to an independent candidate probably said a lot about what rank and file voters thought about the state of politics at the moment, that and the low turn out.
I’d imagine the Tories are quietly pleased with third place while it’s been a bad for both the Lib Dem’s and Reform, obviously different constituencies with different voting demographics will probably see different results even if that’s not matched by elected MP numbers, I’d be surprised if Reform UK actually won any seats, although Ashfield could be close if Anderson switches to Reform, while the Lib Dem’s will obviously return MPs.
The worry for Labour is Galloway obviously attacking KS on the Gaza issue, not because he doesn’t see the Tories as the enemy, he does in a Gaza stance, but he realises the core support he can take away from Labour are the inner city constituencies were a large % of the voters view it as a major issue.
He says he intends to stand 50 candidates for his workers party and I’ve no doubt that’ll be areas were he feels Labour will be vunerable. Whether they would be as successful as Galloway, remains to be seen, although I doubt it. In those target constituencies there won’t be the debacle of no Labour candidate, neither will Galloways candidate have the media circus or indeed “charisma” that he has. So although Rochdale was a massive headache for KS and they’ll be some uncomfortable moments in the house for him and Labour when Galloway is on his soap box making a speech, something, he’s brilliant at, I doubt if will alter the result too much at the next election.

Good post, well reasoned. Also, just so you don't think I only see right wing grifters, Galloway is a left wing grifter (imo).

#2708 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:53 AM

View PostGoku, on 01 March 2024 - 10:36 AM, said:

Good post, well reasoned. Also, just so you don't think I only see right wing grifters, Galloway is a left wing grifter (imo).

As proven by his standing under many different banners over the years, it’ll certainly be interesting when he’s stood up speaking in the commons.

#2709 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 01 March 2024 - 12:25 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 01 March 2024 - 10:53 AM, said:

As proven by his standing under many different banners over the years, it’ll certainly be interesting when he’s stood up speaking in the commons.

Was reading earlier his track record of doing that is practically non-existent, apparently goes up to 6 months without uttering a word even in debates.

#2710 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2024 - 01:58 PM

What's the collective thoughts on Angela Rayners capital gains tax position? Have to say I was always told that a married couple could only have one property that qualified as their principle private residence for capital gains tax purposes - even checked it out when I moved south. It appears the experts she consulted gave her a different answer to the one I was given....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#2711 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 01 March 2024 - 02:55 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 01 March 2024 - 01:58 PM, said:

What's the collective thoughts on Angela Rayners capital gains tax position? Have to say I was always told that a married couple could only have one property that qualified as their principle private residence for capital gains tax purposes - even checked it out when I moved south. It appears the experts she consulted gave her a different answer to the one I was given....

It's a non-story. the house was bought under the Council Home sell offs by The Bitch's government (nothing wrong there) and sold BEFORE she became an MP (again nothing wrong there). So she made a profit on the sale, so what, the price of inflation and property prices going up? I don't see the problem to be honest. it's just The Daily Fail trying to stir things led by the nose by Lord Ashcroft.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#2712 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:30 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 01 March 2024 - 10:10 AM, said:

I really think you need to read what is written Chris not what you hoped I'd write. I picked you up for not mentioning the quasi Labour result (or the turnout).

I just about remember Smith, bit before my interest in politics to be honest, and obviously a Lib, not a Lib Dem.... and if you say that doesnt matter, just remember how much Labour stressed the New bit in New Labour to get elected.... He stood down in 1992 by the way, more than 30 years ago....and opposed the merger with the social democrats. Also a lot of "concerns" around him as an individual since then which possibly goes against the LD vote, who knows...

My comments if you read them were:
crap turnout, so we can infer nothing
the quasi labour chap did crap - is that because people vote for the party not the person (I'll say that quite a lot as we know there are some people who would vote Labour or tory if it was a donkey representing the party)
Galloway is a disgrace
He reckons he can do to Labour vote what Reform say they can do to the Tory vote at a GE, I disagree, what do you think...how does SKS keep the Labour vote together when certain parts of their support are on a very different page over Gaza?

Anyway it was a crap night for pretty much everyone - but especially politics.

(oh and I mentioned Momentum piping up because I hate what Momentum did to Labour).

Not gonna get pedantic, Ian.

Simple truth is Rochdale spent many years as a Liberal, Social and Liberal Democrat and Liberal Democrat seat.

Yet now they finish fifth when Labour aren't even contesting.

As for your question, I don't think it's the issue the unholy alliance of left and right rubbing their hands together in gleeful anticipation hope it is. Make no mistake; there'll have been internal polls and focus groups telling SKS it's the best approach to adopt. There's nowt wrong with individual canditates adopting a more critical commentary on Gaza than the national party, either. Hell, I do so me-sen. As long as it doesn't cross the line into anti-Semitism, of course.

Speaking of which, it's good to see everyone's seen through Galloway. A shameless opportunist peddling his own brand of hate-speak to the demographic he's courting. Wrong to label him an 'Anderson of the Left', mind. Galloway's as eloquent as he's intelligent whilst the Ashfield Islamophobe can't even spell the word.

The whole thing's a circus really, not to be taken in any way seriously. In fact best laugh of the day has to be Andrea Leadsom wagging her finger at Galloway warning him the language of division won't be tolerated in Parliament. Before joining the gaggle of tory MP's queueing to attend Suella 'voice of the nineteen thirties' Braverman's latest speech, no doubt...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 01 March 2024 - 03:48 PM

#2713 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:32 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 01 March 2024 - 02:55 PM, said:

It's a non-story. the house was bought under the Council Home sell offs by The Bitch's government (nothing wrong there) and sold BEFORE she became an MP (again nothing wrong there). So she made a profit on the sale, so what, the price of inflation and property prices going up? I don't see the problem to be honest. it's just The Daily Fail trying to stir things led by the nose by Lord Ashcroft.

You pay capital gains tax on that portion of the increase in the value of a house if for any period (longer than 9 months - was 18 months) you dont live in that house as your principle private residence. She bought the house before she married. Her husband had a house. She used his address on some correspondence and hers on other. They both sold the property and didnt pay capital gains tax. But you cant have two Principle Private Residences when you are married. Or at least that is the common view, confirmed by experts when I was looking to live in one house Monday to Friday leaving my wife at home and joining her at weekend.

So it is a story if a shadow Minister has not paid all the tax she was supposed to. Or is it OK as she is Labour? Chris (EoC) would be posting links galore if it was a Tory Minister accused of breaking the law and underdeclaring their taxes....

You can google PPR and married couples easily but here is an example that I think shows it fairly simply...
https://thomas-consu...s-living-apart/
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#2714 User is offline   Arnold Tabbs 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2024 - 03:33 PM

View PostGoku, on 01 March 2024 - 10:36 AM, said:

George Galloway is only left wing then it suits him. In the most recent Scottish General Election he formed an anti-independence alliance party with a bunch of landowning reactionaries and retired Army types who were too right wing to support the Tories. He also claimed that Scottish people were responsible for the Highland Clearances, being too too lazy to check before opening his mouth; the Duke of Sutherland actually came from Staffordshire. He probably thought the Duke of Edinburgh and Ian Paisley were both Scots as well, because he's thick.

The Islamic regimes he supports are notorious for silencing - or if they feel like it murdering - their opponents, as well as discriminating against women and other minorities, including left wing dissidents. He'd have joined Al Qaeda if he had thought it would bring him more votes from Rochdale's Muslim community.

#2715 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 March 2024 - 04:11 PM

View PostArnold Tabbs, on 01 March 2024 - 03:33 PM, said:

George Galloway is only left wing then it suits him. In the most recent Scottish General Election he formed an anti-independence alliance party with a bunch of landowning reactionaries and retired Army types who were too right wing to support the Tories. He also claimed that Scottish people were responsible for the Highland Clearances, being too too lazy to check before opening his mouth; the Duke of Sutherland actually came from Staffordshire. He probably thought the Duke of Edinburgh and Ian Paisley were both Scots as well, because he's thick.

The Islamic regimes he supports are notorious for silencing - or if they feel like it murdering - their opponents, as well as discriminating against women and other minorities, including left wing dissidents. He'd have joined Al Qaeda if he had thought it would bring him more votes from Rochdale's Muslim community.

Speaking of 'unholy alliances', I see Galloway's recieved an endorsement from non other than former BNP leader Nick Griffin.

Who, alongside a certain Nigel Farage, is a fellow Putin sympathiser.

This piece maps out much of his vile record: https://inews.co.uk/...l-waugh-2934742

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 01 March 2024 - 04:12 PM

#2716 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2024 - 04:45 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 March 2024 - 03:30 PM, said:

Not gonna get pedantic, Ian.

Simple truth is Rochdale spent many years as a Liberal, Social and Liberal Democrat and Liberal Democrat seat.

Yet now they finish fifth when Labour aren't even contesting.

As for your question, I don't think it's the issue the unholy alliance of left and right rubbing their hands together in gleeful anticipation hope it is. Make no mistake; there'll have been internal polls and focus groups telling SKS it's the best approach to adopt. There's nowt wrong with individual canditates adopting a more critical commentary on Gaza than the national party, either. Hell, I do so me-sen. As long as it doesn't cross the line into anti-Semitism, of course.

Speaking of which, it's good to see everyone's seen through Galloway. A shameless opportunist peddling his own brand of hate-speak to the demographic he's courting. Wrong to label him an 'Anderson of the Left', mind. Galloway's as eloquent as he's intelligent whilst the Ashfield Islamophobe can't even spell the word.

The whole thing's a circus really, not to be taken in any way seriously. In fact best laugh of the day has to be Andrea Leadsom wagging her finger at Galloway warning him the language of division won't be tolerated in Parliament. Before joining the gaggle of tory MP's queueing to attend Suella 'voice of the nineteen thirties' Braverman's latest speech, no doubt...

Its been Labour for what 10 years, and they did put up a candidate, and so whatever excuses anyone says, they did contest it until their contestant let them down.... in horse racing he fell at the first hurdle for Labour...

Politics is so broken that no by election result can really be taken as meaning much - especially with 37% turnout - although I am sure who get paid for this stuff will be trying to read something into it. Perhaps the best you can read into it is that if Galloway won, British politics is worse than we ever thought...

Only 8 months for him to be involved, and half of them will be on recess, so basically its a bunch of money for doing sod all for him....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#2717 User is offline   Arnold Tabbs 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2024 - 04:52 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 March 2024 - 04:11 PM, said:

Speaking of 'unholy alliances', I see Galloway's recieved an endorsement from non other than former BNP leader Nick Griffin.

Who, alongside a certain Nigel Farage, is a fellow Putin sympathiser.

This piece maps out much of his vile record: https://inews.co.uk/...l-waugh-2934742

Chris Williamson was a colleague of mine in the Welfare Rights Service; or rather, he was supposed to be a colleague. He was actually kept on the County payroll while he was full time leader of Derby City Council. I came across him him eating a milk chocolate Kit Kat one day even though he told everybody he was a vegan, which is a sign of (a) dishonesty and (b) hypocrisy. I emailed him a few times after he became an MP, at which time he forgot he was supposed to be on the left of the Party and managed to be absent whenever there was a vote on cutting benefits. Consequently, he just couldn't quite manage to rebel against Ed Miliband's directive to abstain.

In short, he & Gorgeous George are like 2 peas in the same pod - unprincipled attention seekers who masquerade as men of the people. The only difference is that Chris isn't bald so doesn't feel the need to wear a hat.

#2718 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2024 - 04:00 PM

Just been listening to GG outside the commons and wow he’s gunning for Starmer and Labour, name checking Angela Raynors constituency and her 3000 majority yest there are 15000 voters there who he will appeal to.
Instead of the cake walk it could be a really interesting night. I still doubt the candidates he puts up or supports as independents would win enough seats to cause Labour not to win but there might be a cpl of big name casualties along the way.

#2719 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 04 March 2024 - 04:06 PM

[quote name='Arnold Tabbs' timestamp='1709311970' post='1807165' unprincipled attention seekers who masquerade as men of the people.
[/quote]

Or as they’re commonly known: politicians
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#2720 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:17 PM

More bad news for those crossing their fingers, toes and eyes hoping Labour don't win... https://www.standard...l-b1142921.html

Share this topic:

• (142 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users