• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nh 2015/16 Proper Racing

#1 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Anything that makes me smile.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

Proper racing starts back today at Cheltenham.

Sadly not going as too much on an my racing mate is recovering from an operation but, anyone seeing anything they fancy today?

For me, it will be interesting if some of these highly strung Ferguson flat horses end up being decent. With so many it is inevitable that one or two will be although I think Mijhaar is worth a look today.

Bonny - are you going to the Nov or Dec meetings?

Any thoughts on the early season races?

#2 User is offline   Nassau_board 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

Morning,

I was at Cheltenham, fortunate enough to be close enough to warrant a membership! The Ferguson horses are pretty talented, and Penglai Pavilion looks like a really good horse, he was carrying a lot of condition and won despite this. He is due to go to the Paddy Power meeting in the race the yard won last year with Parlour Games, who has the same sire.

The horse that caught my attention was at Aintree though where the Greatrex bumper horse La Bague Au Roi looks a really smart prospect.

Potentially a very big weekend for steeplechasing coming up, with Coneygree and Many Clouds entered at northern racetracks. Anyone venturing to Wetherby?

#3 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostNassau_board, on 28 October 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

Morning,

I was at Cheltenham, fortunate enough to be close enough to warrant a membership! The Ferguson horses are pretty talented, and Penglai Pavilion looks like a really good horse, he was carrying a lot of condition and won despite this. He is due to go to the Paddy Power meeting in the race the yard won last year with Parlour Games, who has the same sire.

The horse that caught my attention was at Aintree though where the Greatrex bumper horse La Bague Au Roi looks a really smart prospect.

Potentially a very big weekend for steeplechasing coming up, with Coneygree and Many Clouds entered at northern racetracks. Anyone venturing to Wetherby?

Too far North for me.

Never been to Wetherby or Carlisle.

Wembley this Sunday for me, Aintree a week on Sat and will be going on Fri and Sun of the Paddy Power as normal.

I used to have a non Festival membership but, I probably will only make it for about 5 days this year.

I thought Qewy ran well on Friday - more of a flat track type like Newbury I would hazard a guess.

#4 User is offline   Nassau_board 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 28 October 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

Too far North for me.

Never been to Wetherby or Carlisle.

Wembley this Sunday for me, Aintree a week on Sat and will be going on Fri and Sun of the Paddy Power as normal.

I used to have a non Festival membership but, I probably will only make it for about 5 days this year.

I thought Qewy ran well on Friday - more of a flat track type like Newbury I would hazard a guess.

Qewy didn't jump with much fluency for me, I wonder if that was due to being restrained at the back of the field. If I was John Ferguson i'd be trying to get horses like Qewy out at Chepstow or similar, and really get them jumping fences at pace. He won't win big races with these horses unless he can get them battle hardened and fluent at their fences.

I do like Wetherby, its a nice little track, and Charlie Hall day is always fun. Well worth a visit on that day.

#5 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostNassau_board, on 28 October 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

Qewy didn't jump with much fluency for me, I wonder if that was due to being restrained at the back of the field. If I was John Ferguson i'd be trying to get horses like Qewy out at Chepstow or similar, and really get them jumping fences at pace. He won't win big races with these horses unless he can get them battle hardened and fluent at their fences.

I do like Wetherby, its a nice little track, and Charlie Hall day is always fun. Well worth a visit on that day.

Old adage of trying to get flat bred horses to jump fences.

I think he might make a flat track bully the way he quickened up at Newbury on Aon day.

#6 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

Did anyone else go to HQ today?

You would have to have a heart of stone not to be touched by the performance of SS today.

Fantastic reception for the horse - best I have experienced in years.

#7 User is offline   Nassau_board 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 15 November 2015 - 08:04 PM, said:

Did anyone else go to HQ today?

You would have to have a heart of stone not to be touched by the performance of SS today.

Fantastic reception for the horse - best I have experienced in years.

Spot on, Cheltenham is a very knowledgeable crowd, and the roar was special. Imagine the scenes if he manages to back it up in the QMCC.

#8 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostNassau_board, on 16 November 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Spot on, Cheltenham is a very knowledgeable crowd, and the roar was special. Imagine the scenes if he manages to back it up in the QMCC.

You're right - it would be enough to drive Hendo to drink...

I thought his novice looked decent as well.

In Ireland Faugheen was hanging a long way from home - I reckon he looked like something might have been hurting him. Wouldn't be surprised if they find something this week.

#9 User is offline   Nassau_board 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 16 November 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

You're right - it would be enough to drive Hendo to drink...

I thought his novice looked decent as well.

In Ireland Faugheen was hanging a long way from home - I reckon he looked like something might have been hurting him. Wouldn't be surprised if they find something this week.

I haven't watched the Altior race back yet, but I did hear that Maputo had done ligaments and has been retired. I thought Altior was going to get beaten up the run in, and if the injury happened before the end, that would explain why Altior came back past the second. It was a muddling race, not sure the form is good, but that might be a good sign for Altior as he could be better than the bare visuals.

Faugheen must have had an issue, I wondered if he was letting himself down on the ground properly, but again, I have only seen the race once on the big screen so I need a second view.

The horse that impressed me most was More Of That, who will be much better over 3 miles and lets hope he is back to his best. He could go far in the RSA or maybe even the JLT.

#10 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

I strongly fancied Chap in the NH Flat race on Sunday ... based on the way it slaughtered its opposition at Aintree in May

Very disappointed it finished well down the field ..

#costly
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#11 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• Broadswordcallingdannyboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostNassau_board, on 16 November 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Watched it on tv.....

Tell me what about the fourth last when he just carted himself to the front

Exhilirating, heart pounding call it what you will. Love NH racing (not keen on the flat)

Did well upma bit with the reception he got, what a beautiful gorgeous stamp of a horse as well

View PostComeonyouirons, on 16 November 2015 - 11:59 AM, said:

I strongly fancied Chap in the NH Flat race on Sunday ... based on the way it slaughtered its opposition at Aintree in May

Very disappointed it finished well down the field ..

#costly

Had a couple of big tips for that as well but could not get on.

Might be still worth following mate, heard a good deal about this one

#12 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostThe Peoples Champion, on 16 November 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Watched it on tv.....

Exhilirating, heart pounding call it what you will. Love NH racing (not keen on the flat)

Did well upma bit with the reception he got, what a beautiful gorgeous stamp of a horse as well

With due respect to Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush ... I wont give up on Chap just yet ... Chap

#13 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostThe Peoples Champion, on 16 November 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

Watched it on tv.....

I seem to recall SS stuffed Al Ferof at the same fence in the Arkle.

He got a terrific reception coming into the winners enclosure.

Hendo sent him then for a photo call so the crowd could get a snap of him and he got an even bigger cheer.

Managed to see Simonsig, Bobs Worth and Sprinter in 8 days - that'll do me for the season....

#14 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostNassau_board, on 16 November 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

I haven't watched the Altior race back yet, but I did hear that Maputo had done ligaments and has been retired. I thought Altior was going to get beaten up the run in, and if the injury happened before the end, that would explain why Altior came back past the second. It was a muddling race, not sure the form is good, but that might be a good sign for Altior as he could be better than the bare visuals.

Faugheen must have had an issue, I wondered if he was letting himself down on the ground properly, but again, I have only seen the race once on the big screen so I need a second view.

The horse that impressed me most was More Of That, who will be much better over 3 miles and lets hope he is back to his best. He could go far in the RSA or maybe even the JLT.

I think he is just a typical Henderson baby - green and always keeping a bit back.

Maputo was a short tiny thing and he was retired afterwards but the Nichols horse is something they really like and he was put to the sword. The unknown was the Hobbs horse who dropped from 6s to 3s in a place.

Suggests to me that the horse of Ben Pauling, Barters Hill is a proper tool.

#15 User is offline   Nassau_board 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

What are we thinking for the Hennessy then? Shame Coneygree isn't running, but it may well be a blessing for the horse, who seems to be going to Ireland for the Lexus after connections forgot to enter him for the King George (10k to supplement). Bobs Worth is very well weighted but I am not sure that return run is as it seems... therefore I went with Houblon Des Obeaux who ran so well in the race last season and is on a similar mark.

#16 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostNassau_board, on 27 November 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

What are we thinking for the Hennessy then? Shame Coneygree isn't running, but it may well be a blessing for the horse, who seems to be going to Ireland for the Lexus after connections forgot to enter him for the King George (10k to supplement). Bobs Worth is very well weighted but I am not sure that return run is as it seems... therefore I went with Houblon Des Obeaux who ran so well in the race last season and is on a similar mark.

Very interesting renewal which I shall be watching from Doncaster Racecourse

Saphir Du Rheu is a very short price favourite though it is apparently very highly rated . With the weight it has the performance would need to be Denman-like to win

Bobsworth very well weighted for what was a Gold Cup winner ... Rain wouldn't help

Could make a case for about 6 others and still get it wrong

All I would finish with is First Lieutenant has never carried a lower weight in his career and gets a very small each way wager from me

#17 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostNassau_board, on 27 November 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

COYI has my thoughts. Can't see Smad Place out of the first three and if it ends up at 7s it is a very good price. However Theatre Guide is 6lb lower than when third two years ago, trip fine, stable form is exemplary, stable starting to use proper jockeys, I think laid out BUT, the ground is a worry.

In fact whatever you back, put it in a double with Thistlecrack in the long distance hurdle. Smashing horse.

#18 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:19 PM

...never had a bet as too busy

Oh dear......

#19 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• Broadswordcallingdannyboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:31 PM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 28 November 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

Oh dear......

Good grief you would have cleaned up lol

Was on Theatre Guide e/w and he never jumped ONE fence properly. So whatever the handicapper does there is more to come

Brennan riding out of his skin

#20 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 28 November 2015 - 03:19 PM, said:

Oh dear......

Oh Dear in deed Pat !

As you say Thistlecrack is the real deal