Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Playoffs - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playoffs Who do we want to come up with us?

#21 User is online   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2024 - 05:51 PM

Alty or Barnet. Certainly not Oldham who can stay here for a good 6 years.

#22 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 24 March 2024 - 05:57 PM

Oldham appear to have splashed a lot of cash this season on the chance of going up, will they have the cash compared to other teams next is the question and some of their overpaid players may want out so would be very happy to see them miss out. In order of preference to join us Halifax, Altrincham, Barnet, Aldershot, couldn’t care about any of the others. There is a outside chance that Dallas could lose in 3 consecutive NL play off finals.
Have passport will travel

#23 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 05:59 PM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 24 March 2024 - 05:42 PM, said:

Well said. Ex-EFL clubs fall into the National League for a reason. Because they are badly run and probably rotten from the top. We were. There are some excellently run clubs in this league. Some EFL clubs could learn a lot.
I drove past Harrogate's ground the other day. Tiny. But they are in League 2 on merit. Fair play to them

Similar to us now, local owners who care.

Well said. Ex-EFL clubs fall into the National League for a reason. Because they are badly run and probably rotten from the top. We were. There are some excellently run clubs in this league. Some EFL clubs could learn a lot.
I drove past Harrogate's ground the other day. Tiny. But they are in League 2 on merit. Fair play to them

Similar to us now, local owners who care.
God I hate this league.

#24 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:04 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 24 March 2024 - 05:36 PM, said:

If Halifax go up, they’d have to seriously invest in the infrastructure of the club…starting with the pitch.
I don’t think the EFL would be as forgiving as NL on postponements consistently over the state of the pitch.
However, I don’t think any club playing for the play offs right now would be a serious threat in the EFL next season.
Altrincham have been the best team we’ve played this season…so be nice to see them go up

Didn’t that Halifax fan on here say they’d need to upgrade the pitch to some hybrid solution to allow it to be used for multi sport. As the council run it they’d have to carry the expense - would they? I’m sure they’d struggle with their lack of resources.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#25 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:08 PM

Define a well run NL Club? I’ll guarantee they’ll have suffered losses, but, like us, have excellent backers with deep pockets.

#26 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:20 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 24 March 2024 - 06:08 PM, said:

Define a well run NL Club? I’ll guarantee they’ll have suffered losses, but, like us, have excellent backers with deep pockets.

That's true. A well run club to me maximises what they have and makes the most of their opportunities.
Just off the top of my head:
Maidenhead
Bromley
Aldershot
Gateshead
Dorking
Solihull Moors

Some of those won't be popular. But Bromley and Moors are regular knockers on the door of league football. As were Boreham Wood until this season. It's not shabby really to be in that position when you have no history of being in the league

#27 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:35 PM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 24 March 2024 - 06:20 PM, said:

That's true. A well run club to me maximises what they have and makes the most of their opportunities.
Just off the top of my head:
Maidenhead
Bromley
Aldershot
Gateshead
Dorking
Solihull Moors

Some of those won't be popular. But Bromley and Moors are regular knockers on the door of league football. As were Boreham Wood until this season. It's not shabby really to be in that position when you have no history of being in the league

Moors last losses - nearly £1.9M. Bromley’s £800k. Hardly sustainable on their attendances are they?

#28 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2024 - 06:49 PM

Halifax

Love the ground
JRID

#29 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2024 - 07:01 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 24 March 2024 - 06:35 PM, said:

Moors last losses - nearly £1.9M. Bromley’s £800k. Hardly sustainable on their attendances are they?

Well pointed out. It is the other reason why getting out this league is so hard, well funded small clubs but with no support.

I have a horrible feeling Solihull will win the playoffs
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#30 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 07:03 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 24 March 2024 - 06:35 PM, said:

No, but they are there year on year. I know a Moors season ticket holder (who thought we were the best team he'd seen for years this season) and they seem to be cutting their cloth now. Our losses are huge. Football clubs lose money as a general rule. It's not normal business

#31 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2024 - 07:26 PM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 24 March 2024 - 07:03 PM, said:

No, but they are there year on year. I know a Moors season ticket holder (who thought we were the best team he'd seen for years this season) and they seem to be cutting their cloth now. Our losses are huge. Football clubs lose money as a general rule. It's not normal business

Moors losses since 2015- £6.9M. Think your mate may need a lesson in cloth cutting.

#32 User is offline   tedspireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 07:31 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 24 March 2024 - 05:29 PM, said:

Altrincham for me. Historically one of the best Non League sides in the country, twice winning the 5th tier, but failing to garner enough votes to win election to the EFL. Up and downs in more recent years, but always, since we’ve met them in this league, played football the right way, and gave us two very good games this season.
And they sold us Ryan Colclough.

Agree and let's hope they sell us Conn Clark probably a player cook maybe in for.

#33 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 07:32 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 24 March 2024 - 07:26 PM, said:

Moors losses since 2015- £6.9M. Think your mate may need a lesson in cloth cutting.

Yes. I think the key word in my comment was 'now'.

#34 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2024 - 08:04 PM

View PostMr_Pleasant, on 24 March 2024 - 07:32 PM, said:

Yes. I think the key word in my comment was 'now'.

Yes, but not evidenced, it will be some turnaround, from losses of £1.9M, especially with attendances of only 1400 average this season.
Last seasons accounts should be out this week, I will report back the results.
Look, I’m not sure how you can run a football club at break-even, never mind a surplus- but I’m intrigued how one can define a well run club if losses of £6.9M to date have been posted since inception.

#35 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 08:07 PM

EFL clubs are indeed there for a reason. So what ? If they get promoted having sorted themselves out, it will be on merit like us. On merit will be a deserved promotion by the minnows as well if they make it. That's OK by me - even if the facilities are tin-pot - they've done it fair and square.

I wouldn't consider a Bromley promotion on merit because of the advantage, in my opinion, that their pitch gives them. The National League allows it, so no blame attached to Bromley, but I hope they fail.

I'll make my preference of the type of club I favour simpler for you and oldgoat with an example - this season Halifax would suit me and Solihull woudn't, but fair play if they do.

Next season, Southend for me - a proper club with proper fans almost destroyed by a bad owner. I would want 8,000 - 10,000 fans at Southend to get their club back rather than a club like Borehamwood with 800 regulars getting promoted. Just my preference.

#36 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 08:48 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 24 March 2024 - 08:04 PM, said:

Yes, but not evidenced, it will be some turnaround, from losses of £1.9M, especially with attendances of only 1400 average this season.
Last seasons accounts should be out this week, I will report back the results.
Look, I’m not sure how you can run a football club at break-even, never mind a surplus- but I’m intrigued how one can define a well run club if losses of £6.9M to date have been posted since inception.

I would be interested to know.
I'm not a Moors apologist but I've got some respect for the fact they have even survived in the National League. I went to their last game in NLN. They got just over 900 and I think it may have been their record attendance at the time. There were 2 turnstiles and about 4 khakis. They must have spent a lot of quid just making it into a halfway acceptable football ground

#37 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 08:51 PM

View Postboot, on 24 March 2024 - 08:07 PM, said:

EFL clubs are indeed there for a reason. So what ? If they get promoted having sorted themselves out, it will be on merit like us. On merit will be a deserved promotion by the minnows as well if they make it. That's OK by me - even if the facilities are tin-pot - they've done it fair and square.

I wouldn't consider a Bromley promotion on merit because of the advantage, in my opinion, that their pitch gives them. The National League allows it, so no blame attached to Bromley, but I hope they fail.

I'll make my preference of the type of club I favour simpler for you and oldgoat with an example - this season Halifax would suit me and Solihull woudn't, but fair play if they do.

Next season, Southend for me - a proper club with proper fans almost destroyed by a bad owner. I would want 8,000 - 10,000 fans at Southend to get their club back rather than a club like Borehamwood with 800 regulars getting promoted. Just my preference.

I don't disagree with you when it comes to it. I'm a traditionalist. I just have a lot more respect for clubs now that I used to sneer at.

#38 User is offline   essexspireman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:32 PM

View PostBlue roan lily, on 24 March 2024 - 10:22 AM, said:

With the family connections the heart says Barnet BUT if the best team I’ve seen against should get it then its Altrincham, they were miles above anything we played at at home.
They played some very decent football, attacked us from the off.
If they don’t get up this season I hope they win the league outright next season.

Barnet were very good first half and had our nerves jangling when they scored 2 late goals.

#39 User is offline   Chesterfield247 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 05:28 AM

Quite keen for it to be a traditional FL club. With FGR and Sutton set to drop down, it'll be good for the EFL to have a +2 in terms of historical EFL clubs. If that trend can continue with people who bought clubs as play things and get bored of burning cash, we might have some semblance of normality which is good news imo.

#40 User is online   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2024 - 07:53 AM

View PostBenno Spire, on 24 March 2024 - 05:57 PM, said:

Oldham appear to have splashed a lot of cash this season on the chance of going up, will they have the cash compared to other teams next is the question and some of their overpaid players may want out so would be very happy to see them miss out. In order of preference to join us Halifax, Altrincham, Barnet, Aldershot, couldn’t care about any of the others. There is a outside chance that Dallas could lose in 3 consecutive NL play off finals.

Dallas, what a Jonah

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users