• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strengthening

#1 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:22 PM

i am aware this has been discussed on multiple threads but not sure if it has yet been given a focus of it's own.

as we go up a league we will be looking to strengthen next season. i think there is consensus that the defensive side of the team needs addressing and a younger jones clone being perhaps the number 1 target?

where else? grigg has been outstanding, i love quigs but there is a big drop off between the 2, similarly colclough is a big player for us and we are better when he plays but he has only really played half the season, i like berry but he is not for me yet on that same level.

watched the leeds/blackburn game earlier today and if the rumours of macfazdean are more than rumours, i will be pleased to see him here, in the 45 he played, he organised the team, was strong, read it well and has a surprising turn of speed for a player of his vintage.

#2 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:35 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 13 April 2024 - 10:22 PM, said:

i am aware this has been discussed on multiple threads but not sure if it has yet been given a focus of it's own.

as we go up a league we will be looking to strengthen next season. i think there is consensus that the defensive side of the team needs addressing and a younger jones clone being perhaps the number 1 target?

where else? grigg has been outstanding, i love quigs but there is a big drop off between the 2, similarly colclough is a big player for us and we are better when he plays but he has only really played half the season, i like berry but he is not for me yet on that same level.

watched the leeds/blackburn game earlier today and if the rumours of macfazdean are more than rumours, i will be pleased to see him here, in the 45 he played, he organised the team, was strong, read it well and has a surprising turn of speed for a player of his vintage.

Agree on Macfadzean. Would be excellent on a 1 year contract. Easily above L2 level despite his age.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#3 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:09 AM

I reckon we could do with

An upgrade/replacement/backup for each of the back 4 positions, with the exception of left back if Cook decides to retain Clements.
A younger version of Jones
A Striker.

I think all the other positions are OK, but given the squad number restrictions next season, this might spell the end for players like King, Palmer and even Banks to make room for this evolution.

Perversely, this end of season slump in form could help make Cook’s mind up about a few players.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#4 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:08 AM

We need a centre half with pace and positional awareness to play alongside grimes.

A second left back.
A second right back.

A capable central midfielder who can take the weight off Naylor. Jones won’t start more than 20.

I would love to see conn clarke occupy the number 10 position

And a competent centre forward to cover for grigg - ideally with a turn of pace

#5 User is offline   Painted Wagon 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:18 AM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 13 April 2024 - 10:35 PM, said:

Agree on Macfadzean. Would be excellent on a 1 year contract. Easily above L2 level despite his age.

Agree, and currently lives in Eckington. A better commute than Blackburn

#6 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 08:13 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 14 April 2024 - 06:09 AM, said:

Perversely, this end of season slump in form could help make Cook’s mind up about a few players.

I know nowt, but I wouldn't mind betting that this 'slump' is in line with probability in any elite sport given the magnitude of the achievement. Somebody must have done some research.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#7 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 14 April 2024 - 08:37 AM

View Postdim view, on 14 April 2024 - 08:13 AM, said:

I know nowt, but I wouldn't mind betting that this 'slump' is in line with probability in any elite sport given the magnitude of the achievement. Somebody must have done some research.

A member of staff quoted in the boozer recently as saying that there’s no motivating them now, it’s impossible 😂 I genuinely couldn’t give less of a toss. Would be nice to get above 100 points but no problems if not, it’s been an incredible season and these last few games will have zero bearing on next season whereby Cook and co will have the squad fully motivated and ready to hit the ground running. If you’re still going to games you need to take into account that there’s every chance that after this amazing season, the lads may well take their foot off the gas. So I have zero sympathy for anybody spending money travelling down to Wealdstone and seeing us lose, you go for the day out and not much more at this point imo.

#8 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 08:52 AM

View Postdim view, on 14 April 2024 - 08:13 AM, said:

Yeah, I get that but there’s a few out there that are out of contract in the summer so you might expect more from the fringe players.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#9 User is offline   Arthur Cox’s Boots 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 09:21 AM

[quote name='Exharboroughspireite' timestamp='1713078538' post='1817332']
We need a centre half with pace and positional awareness to play alongside grimes.

A second left back.
A second right back.

A capable central midfielder who can take the weight off Naylor. Jones won’t start more than 20.

I agree with this.at least 5 needed

This post has been edited by Arthur Cox’s Boots: 14 April 2024 - 09:22 AM

#10 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 14 April 2024 - 09:52 AM

View PostGoku, on 14 April 2024 - 08:37 AM, said:

A member of staff quoted in the boozer recently as saying that there’s no motivating them now, it’s impossible �� I genuinely couldn’t give less of a toss. Would be nice to get above 100 points but no problems if not, it’s been an incredible season and these last few games will have zero bearing on next season whereby Cook and co will have the squad fully motivated and ready to hit the ground running. If you’re still going to games you need to take into account that there’s every chance that after this amazing season, the lads may well take their foot off the gas. So I have zero sympathy for anybody spending money travelling down to Wealdstone and seeing us lose, you go for the day out and not much more at this point imo.

Well, if that is true it doesn't bode well for the out of contract players and perhaps not even for some that had contracts dished out to them prematurely.

Might have been easier to motivate them if they hadn't been allowed a weekend bender followed by a couple of days off to recover from it. The suggestion that the manager went on holiday would hardly set an example either.

This post has been edited by azul: 14 April 2024 - 10:06 AM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#11 User is offline   evospire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:34 AM

True - but what would we prefer

A tense nail biting end to the season - with it going to the last game
Performances and results still good

Or - having done all the hard work early on allowing us the luxury to lose the last 5 and even 6 out of 7 and still win the league by a minimum of 9 points

#12 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:42 AM

View PostExharboroughspireite, on 14 April 2024 - 07:08 AM, said:

A second left back.
A second right back.

Exactly that mate , I'm with you 100% and I said the same coming back from Wealdstone yesterday.

#13 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:55 AM

View PostGoku, on 14 April 2024 - 08:37 AM, said:

A member of staff quoted in the boozer recently as saying that there’s no motivating them now, it’s impossible 😂 I genuinely couldn’t give less of a toss. Would be nice to get above 100 points but no problems if not, it’s been an incredible season and these last few games will have zero bearing on next season whereby Cook and co will have the squad fully motivated and ready to hit the ground running. If you’re still going to games you need to take into account that there’s every chance that after this amazing season, the lads may well take their foot off the gas. So I have zero sympathy for anybody spending money travelling down to Wealdstone and seeing us lose, you go for the day out and not much more at this point imo.

No motivating them? Jesus there professional footballers they should be able to motivate themselves it's their job for Christ sake!! Whoever the member of staff was who said they can't motivate them needs to have a good look at themselves. I've been to every game this season , straight from work or taking time off for the long midweek trips and I'll be doing the same to get to Gateshead tomorrow and I know a lot of others who have/are doing the same. That's why they should be putting a shift in Champions or not untill the last ball is kicked next Saturday. We should be on 100 points now and still unbeaten at home but because of them strolling through games the unbeaten home record went and now most likely the 100 points , I know the main objective was to win the league and I'm so proud of them for doing that but for the sake have carrying on and giving it their all we could have broken so many records! Anyway that's my opinion on it all.

#14 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:34 PM

View Post1978blue, on 14 April 2024 - 11:55 AM, said:

No motivating them? Jesus there professional footballers they should be able to motivate themselves it's their job for Christ sake!! Whoever the member of staff was who said they can't motivate them needs to have a good look at themselves. I've been to every game this season , straight from work or taking time off for the long midweek trips and I'll be doing the same to get to Gateshead tomorrow and I know a lot of others who have/are doing the same. That's why they should be putting a shift in Champions or not untill the last ball is kicked next Saturday. We should be on 100 points now and still unbeaten at home but because of them strolling through games the unbeaten home record went and now most likely the 100 points , I know the main objective was to win the league and I'm so proud of them for doing that but for the sake have carrying on and giving it their all we could have broken so many records! Anyway that's my opinion on it all.

Well said Kevin
Have passport will travel

#15 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:43 PM

View Post1978blue, on 14 April 2024 - 11:55 AM, said:

I sceptical about what this staff member gobbling off in a pub is alleged to have said but it doesn’t reflect well the the staff member or the players concerned if remotely true. I could understand some subconsciously tailing off a bit but suggesting it is a deliberate act is a different ball game.

#16 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:44 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 13 April 2024 - 10:22 PM, said:

This might sound over the top but one way or another we probably need strengthening in every single position.

As yet, we have one goalkeeper, Boot who most probably will at least be on the bench next season.

At RB we have Sheckleford who has spent most of his time at the Club being back up to King. So, I think he will remain as back up to another.

At RCB we have Williams, possibly Palmer (but there’s been no confirmation of this), either way an improvement is on the cards.

At LCB we have Grimes. Whether or not he becomes cover we need another.

At LB Horton is signed up but another is required.

CDM consists of Naylor, Jones and Oldaker at present. Because of age, numbers, and consistency more competition is needed.

For the “3” we have Dobra, Colclough, Mandeville, Berry & Hobson (possibly Jacobs?) so this needs adding to as it has been found wanting when stretched by injuries and form.

Up front, quite simply Grigg and Quigley are not enough as is currently being proved.

#17 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 14 April 2024 - 01:21 PM

View Postdtp, on 14 April 2024 - 12:44 PM, said:

This might sound over the top but one way or another we probably need strengthening in every single position.

As yet, we have one goalkeeper, Boot who most probably will at least be on the bench next season.

At RB we have Sheckleford who has spent most of his time at the Club being back up to King. So, I think he will remain as back up to another.

At RCB we have Williams, possibly Palmer (but there’s been no confirmation of this), either way an improvement is on the cards.

At LCB we have Grimes. Whether or not he becomes cover we need another.

At LB Horton is signed up but another is required.

CDM consists of Naylor, Jones and Oldaker at present. Because of age, numbers, and consistency more competition is needed.

For the “3” we have Dobra, Colclough, Mandeville, Berry & Hobson (possibly Jacobs?) so this needs adding to as it has been found wanting when stretched by injuries and form.

Up front, quite simply Grigg and Quigley are not enough as is currently being proved.

I’m sure we will have an outfield squad of 22 (or very close) so that isn’t really that far over the top unless we offer some more of these OOC players deals. Might need to loan a couple out though.

#18 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:49 PM

View Postazul, on 14 April 2024 - 01:21 PM, said:

I’m sure we will have an outfield squad of 22 (or very close) so that isn’t really that far over the top unless we offer some more of these OOC players deals. Might need to loan a couple out though.

Exactly, but we can only look at things on a “what we have got now” basis.

In a couple of weeks time we should know for certain our retained list including those OOC players which have been offered new terms and/or released. Obviously, if offered new terms those players might or might not accept them.

Additionally, it could be possible that certain players are used as bait in player exchange transfer deals or, indeed, we receive offers for certain of our contracted players whether they be on a loan or permanent basis etc.

Anything is possible during the close season but I do wonder if we might be a little more active than we might think.

#19 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:23 PM

I wouldn’t have kept Quigley and Oldaker for a start. That would be two off the books, but it seems we’re lumbered with them.

#20 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2024 - 03:27 PM

View PostZigsuk, on 14 April 2024 - 03:23 PM, said:

I wouldn’t have kept Quigley and Oldaker for a start. That would be two off the books, but it seems we’re lumbered with them.

They will need to be sent out on loan hopefully especially Oldaker.

This post has been edited by Walton Spireite: 14 April 2024 - 03:27 PM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users