• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Places To Eat In Chesterfield? Rate Topic: ****- 4 Votes

#2981 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2024 - 09:02 PM

We went to Olive in Sheffield before Christmas which is a bit of a tradition for us, always excellent.

#2982 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2024 - 09:07 PM

Slightly further afield but if anyone finds themselves in the vicinity of Bamburgh then worth booking in at the Potted Lobster….second year running we’ve been there on New Year’s Day and it was fantastic again yesterday. Walk up the beach from Seahouses then a good feed!!

#2983 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 02 January 2024 - 09:32 PM

View PostJonB, on 02 January 2024 - 09:07 PM, said:

Slightly further afield but if anyone finds themselves in the vicinity of Bamburgh then worth booking in at the Potted Lobster….second year running we’ve been there on New Year’s Day and it was fantastic again yesterday. Walk up the beach from Seahouses then a good feed!!

On my to go list. Saw on Hairy Bikers and looked great.
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#2984 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 02 January 2024 - 09:38 PM

View Posts42blue, on 02 January 2024 - 09:32 PM, said:

On my to go list. Saw on Hairy Bikers and looked great.

It is great, think we saw it on one of their shows a while ago so booked in for last year. Liked it that much we booked again for this year.

#2985 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 04 January 2024 - 05:26 PM

View PostJonB, on 02 January 2024 - 09:38 PM, said:

It is great, think we saw it on one of their shows a while ago so booked in for last year. Liked it that much we booked again for this year.

I know opinions vary and on some nights restaurants are better than others but I have to say we were massively disappointed when we went to the Potted Lobster a couple of years back. My (non fish eating) daughters steak was all fat and gristle and both of the lobsters my wife and I had were small, overcooked and chewy....possibly the worst I've had!

We certainly won't be going back when we head up there for a week coinciding with the Gateshead away game this Easter.

The White Swan Inn at Belford and Apple Inn at Lucker on the other hand will definitely be being revisited.

The Bamburgh bangers (per the hairy bikers) from the local butchers will also be being sampled again...they did live up to their reputation!

This post has been edited by Middle East: 04 January 2024 - 05:29 PM

BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#2986 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 04 January 2024 - 08:13 PM

Surprised you found it like that….been twice and 4 adults and 2 kids left well fed and loved it.

Sadly the butchers was closed both times we were there with it being New Year’s Day.

#2987 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2024 - 08:20 PM

View PostMiddle East, on 04 January 2024 - 05:26 PM, said:

I know opinions vary and on some nights restaurants are better than others but I have to say we were massively disappointed when we went to the Potted Lobster a couple of years back. My (non fish eating) daughters steak was all fat and gristle and both of the lobsters my wife and I had were small, overcooked and chewy....possibly the worst I've had!

We certainly won't be going back when we head up there for a week coinciding with the Gateshead away game this Easter.

The White Swan Inn at Belford and Apple Inn at Lucker on the other hand will definitely be being revisited.

The Bamburgh bangers (per the hairy bikers) from the local butchers will also be being sampled again...they did live up to their reputation!

Loved Belford when we stayed there 31 years ago - stayed at the Blue Bell but remember going in the White Swan...with a 10 week old though fancy food probably wasnt top of the priorities!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#2988 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2024 - 10:21 PM

View PostJonB, on 04 January 2024 - 08:13 PM, said:

Surprised you found it like that….been twice and 4 adults and 2 kids left well fed and loved it.

Sadly the butchers was closed both times we were there with it being New Year’s Day.

Yes I was surprised myself as we had booked well ahead and were really looking forward to it. Maybe we just caught them on an off night.

The butchers is excellent but if it's open next time your up there be prepared to wait in a lengthy queue...

We are staying in Beadnell this time and I have my eye on a bistro there and a gastro pub in Seahouses, so will report back in a few months time!

#2989 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2024 - 06:59 PM

View PostMiddle East, on 16 December 2023 - 09:52 AM, said:

Stones for our regular pre Christmas meal last night still the best restaurant in the area for me!

We missed you by a few days.

#2990 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2024 - 07:04 PM

View PostComeonyouirons, on 31 December 2023 - 09:16 AM, said:

Seafood Cave Matlock Bath Thursday night as we were dismantling the Latest Goon fest at Emirates
The meal was every bit as wonderful as the result was

Talking of Matlock Bath, we visited The Fishpond for the first time recently and tried their Sunday carvery. I would go as far as to say that for variety and quality of the veg and meats, it's probably one of the best, if not the best, in the area.

Well worth a visit.

#2991 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2024 - 07:21 PM

View PostMiddle East, on 04 January 2024 - 10:21 PM, said:

Yes I was surprised myself as we had booked well ahead and were really looking forward to it. Maybe we just caught them on an off night.

The butchers is excellent but if it's open next time your up there be prepared to wait in a lengthy queue...

We are staying in Beadnell this time and I have my eye on a bistro there and a gastro pub in Seahouses, so will report back in a few months time!

Beadnell's a great place to stop and ideal for Seahouses and Bamburgh.

If you're thinking of dining out in Beadnell, don't bother with the Craster Arms, we've been twice now and on both occasions it was a farce. It's disorganised chaos and the food is nothing to write home about. It's our intention to try The Beadnell Bar & Kitchen next time instead.

The Salt Water Cafe is very good for a breakfast and if you're in Bamburgh, The Copper Kettle Tearoom is worth a visit.

#2992 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:42 PM

View PostBlue5, on 05 January 2024 - 07:21 PM, said:

Beadnell's a great place to stop and ideal for Seahouses and Bamburgh.

If you're thinking of dining out in Beadnell, don't bother with the Craster Arms, we've been twice now and on both occasions it was a farce. It's disorganised chaos and the food is nothing to write home about. It's our intention to try The Beadnell Bar & Kitchen next time instead.

The Salt Water Cafe is very good for a breakfast and if you're in Bamburgh, The Copper Kettle Tearoom is worth a visit.

Thanks for the tips.

I'd seen that the Craster Arms had some dodgy reviews but was still thinking of giving it a go as it's walking distance from where we are staying, but will give it a swerve!

Looking at TripAdvisor i'd also definitely earmarked the Salt Water Cafe for a evening meal when it does bistro food, as well as sampling a breakfast there too, as it looks excellent! May also give The Black Swan in Seahouses a try as that's got some decent reviews and is easy to get to.

Looks like I will need a few extra long walks on the lovely beaches up there to counter balance all the eating out....

.... I hope you found Stones as good as ever!

This post has been edited by Middle East: 05 January 2024 - 11:54 PM

#2993 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 06 January 2024 - 12:12 AM

We went to the Craster Arms a couple of years ago. Food was fine but it was a bit chaotic as it was busy and the young staff were struggling to cope a bit.

If the black swan is the one I’m thinking of we walked past and looked at the menu outside, it wasn’t cheap at all!!

This post has been edited by JonB: 06 January 2024 - 12:13 AM

#2994 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2024 - 08:41 AM

View PostMiddle East, on 05 January 2024 - 11:42 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips.

I'd seen that the Craster Arms had some dodgy reviews but was still thinking of giving it a go as it's walking distance from where we are staying, but will give it a swerve!

Looking at TripAdvisor i'd also definitely earmarked the Salt Water Cafe for a evening meal when it does bistro food, as well as sampling a breakfast there too, as it looks excellent! May also give The Black Swan in Seahouses a try as that's got some decent reviews and is easy to get to.

Looks like I will need a few extra long walks on the lovely beaches up there to counter balance all the eating out....

.... I hope you found Stones as good as ever!

Try the chippy on the roundabout in Seahouses. Very good.

#2995 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 14 January 2024 - 03:26 PM

Just been to Little Italy in Dronfield for lunch. Have to say that I was disappointed. Lovely service and the starters good but all the main courses extremely bland and my lad’s pizza looked and tasted no better than a 2 quid frozen one. Won’t be back.

#2996 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2024 - 03:53 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 14 January 2024 - 03:26 PM, said:

Just been to Little Italy in Dronfield for lunch. Have to say that I was disappointed. Lovely service and the starters good but all the main courses extremely bland and my lad’s pizza looked and tasted no better than a 2 quid frozen one. Won’t be back.

I get that feeling at lots of Italians though. Pasta easy to make your own, pizzas the same (in a pizza oven), chicken and steak dishes all pretty easy. Very few Italians I’d eat at tbh over home cooked. Yet it’s probably my favourite cuisine!

#2997 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 14 January 2024 - 04:06 PM

View Posts42blue, on 14 January 2024 - 03:53 PM, said:

I get that feeling at lots of Italians though. Pasta easy to make your own, pizzas the same (in a pizza oven), chicken and steak dishes all pretty easy. Very few Italians I’d eat at tbh over home cooked. Yet it’s probably my favourite cuisine!

Just not a patch on the likes of Lombardi's (which doesn't open on a Sunday and the kids preference is usually Italian). You're right though.

#2998 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 January 2024 - 06:30 PM

The place attached to the St Helens pub is great, never had a bad meal there.

#2999 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 January 2024 - 08:13 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 14 January 2024 - 03:26 PM, said:

I don’t think I’ve ever been out for an Italian meal and been blown away by it. I spent some time working in Vicenza and was totally fed up of the food by the time I went back home.

#3000 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 15 January 2024 - 05:23 AM

With regards to italians i think the issue is alot of them aint owned by italians, lombardis been one of the exceptions. I actually went on holiday to milan last year and was looking forward to proper italian food, wrong it was disgusting, one restraunt served some dry veal and mcdonalds style chips and had all chinese folk working there! I have had better Italians in the uk and america. Only good italian i had was in a little restraunt near milan airport which i went to when flight was delayed by a day. The manager there said the issue in milan was alot of the italians are owned by chinese as italians cant afford the sky high city rates.

Share this topic:

• (156 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users